NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread #5

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thread Author #6 Poll

Questers
34%
Gallia-/Kampala-
10%
Velkanika
7%
The Kievan People/Kyiv
24%
The Akasha Colony
4%
Spirit of Hope
3%
Lamoni
4%
Lyras
8%
Lubyak
4%

Total votes : 119

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Kouralia wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:...I assume going Scorched Earth and concentration camps will lead to lots of riots,protest and rebels.

Why?

Just be competent about the concentration camps, and rename them if your people are all idiots.

What? Happy Go Funland. For ages 14 and up? :p
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Kouralia wrote:Why?

Just be competent about the concentration camps, and rename them if your people are all idiots.

Internment camp sounds about right.

Plus really, what's the point of concentrating your prisoners so that they can break out more easily. Just take them out back and put a bullet through their skull when no one is looking. Make a few model camps with model prisoners and stuff for propaganda purposes and just gas the rest.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Kouralia wrote:Why?

The thing is if the Empire knwos what it is doing and has the logisitics to mount a full mechanised campaign there is good chance that they won't experience the f*ckups and lack of supplies that lead to the horror of the actual Boer war camps.

Purp: "Refugee camps" are just for the women and children you have cleared from the land(planet), any captured males/combatants get shipped over seas (off world).

edit:

On reflecting the there is a important question to be asked of Zeinbrad here: Who needs to win?

if the story demands that the rebels/boer alieks suceed then make it so! Have the cnetral government be hopelessly conflicted about the whole affiar and add in some politcal appointments of comamnders and lots of direct and indirect meddling and no matter how good the troops things like there not being enough of them, not enough supplies, insane ROEs and conflciting mission parameters could easily make the whole campaign a debacle.

Simialrly if the you want the empire/cnetral goverbnment to win a full on no holds barred campaign surpassing boer war levels of intensity coudl be sustained. Couple that with an "industrial" application of special forces (have a good read of Task Force Black by Mark Urban for that side of things) with spacey mobility and you could easily come to a very convincing victory for the empire.

of coruse soemthign inbetween is fully possible you just need to write it. i suspect alot will be down to politics and that might help as you wouldn;t need to bother with any real detail of the fighting.
Last edited by Crookfur on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:23 pm

What are the advantages of tandem rotor (e.g. Chinook) over single-rotor for helis?

Also, I seem to have an obsession for fuck-huge. Has a consensus been reached as to the viability of a Yak-60? And which would be better between it and the Mil V-12?

EDIT: Also, should I use not-RAH-66s y/y? See the thing is my main attack helicopter would be the (equivalent of) the Apache, so pretty expensive.
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Gallia- wrote:(Image)

I forgot about this guy. The rarely seen Army motor vehicle traffic director.

i prefer generals
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:40 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:What are the advantages of tandem rotor (e.g. Chinook) over single-rotor for helis?

Also, I seem to have an obsession for fuck-huge. Has a consensus been reached as to the viability of a Yak-60? And which would be better between it and the Mil V-12?

EDIT: Also, should I use not-RAH-66s y/y? See the thing is my main attack helicopter would be the (equivalent of) the Apache, so pretty expensive.

Don't expect it to be anything like you've read in Tom Clancy
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:What are the advantages of tandem rotor (e.g. Chinook) over single-rotor for helis?

Don't expect it to be anything like you've read in Tom Clancy

I haven't :( are they any good?

I've only played a game Tom Clancy something but it was a stealthy shooter IIRC no copters.

Anyways, does anyone IRL or here on NS have a viable alternative? I'd rather it was something purpose built (and with tandem seating) not some Kiowa Warrior or some such.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Radictistan
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radictistan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:06 pm

I don't like the idea of stealth anything operating as far forward as attack helicopters due, and there's little point in radar stealth when you're flying nape-of-the-earth at relatively low speeds.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Radictistan wrote:I don't like the idea of stealth anything operating as far forward as attack helicopters due, and there's little point in radar stealth when you're flying nape-of-the-earth at relatively low speeds.

Is look-down-shoot-down radar not a thing?
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:So I have this bad boy (thanks to triplebackonnation for making it) the Type-57 Fighter Jet

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=19851087#p19851087

Here's the jet design, it looks small to me,does that hold any advantages? It is also armed with two 30mm autocannon,and has six or so hard points for missiles and all that good stuff.

This is the mainstay of the Ragon airforce, used by the non-elite squadrons.

The reason for two 30mm is because dogfighting is still a thing in this universe.

You only need one 30mm cannon. Two is just extra weight.

Only 6 missiles? That's borderline for a viable Air-to-Air missile load, you'd be better off with 8.

That cockpit has terrible visibility below the nose. Landing will be a very dangerous thing.

The engines look like they're only 10 feet long. Those are very small compared to other engines, and will probably give you crappy performance as such.

The wings are very small compared to the rest of the aircraft and don't generate much lift. This thing won't be able to turn for a damn even if those are massive chimes on the nose.

Small size isn't a bad thing in a fighter, but this aircraft isn't just small. The entire airframe shape is terrible for a fighter aircraft. Those petite little wings mean you're going to have a very high landing speed with a cockpit the pilot can't see the runway out of. They also mean your payload is going to be tiny, assuming you can even get it into the air with those under powered engines. This thing can't bring a fighting payload to the fight, can't turn, can't climb, can't run away, and can't hide from the enemy. It's a Widowmaker in the worst sense of the word for your pilots.
Last edited by Velkanika on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Radictistan wrote:I don't like the idea of stealth anything operating as far forward as attack helicopters due, and there's little point in radar stealth when you're flying nape-of-the-earth at relatively low speeds.

Attack helicopters I can see your point, but HvT assassinations and rescue missions deep in enemy territory I would guess stealth helicopters could serve as a very useful improvement.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Radictistan
Minister

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Radictistan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:

Attack helicopters I can see your point, but HvT assassinations and rescue missions deep in enemy territory I would guess stealth helicopters could serve as a very useful improvement.

Perhaps, although to do anything "deep" in enemy territory your helos will need unstealthy tankers.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:25 pm

Velkanika wrote:You only need one 30mm cannon. Two is just extra weight.

You can also use some of the saved space for more ammo.
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

Under construction

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Velkanika wrote:You only need one 30mm cannon. Two is just extra weight.

You can also use some of the saved space for more ammo.

Okay.

Also I may note, since the Ragon Air Force is....bad. The Ragon depend on their three pilot families to have kids, and teach them how to fly a plan first thing.

That, and they also have one of the best SPAAGs in the Galaxy. The Type-21 during Gaian-Ragon War time.
― Fred Rogers

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:You can also use some of the saved space for more ammo.

Okay.

Also I may note, since the Ragon Air Force is....bad. The Ragon depend on their three pilot families to have kids, and teach them how to fly a plan first thing.

That, and they also have one of the best SPAAGs in the Galaxy. The Type-21 during Gaian-Ragon War time.

Ragon doesn't even remotely sound like anything Asian.

Under construction

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:Okay.

Ragon doesn't even remotely sound like anything Asian.

And?

They are descendants of Asiatic space colonization, which, apparently describes why they have red skin.

They get American Anti-Japanese propaganda thrown at them too, there's even a "One Dead Jap", One Dead Rag.

They don't even know their descendants of Asiatic space colonization until after the Gaian-Ragon War.
― Fred Rogers

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:40 pm

SSM/ASM-4 "Leviathan"

Weight: 3,500lb (1,600kg)
Length: 19.5ft (5.9m)
Wingspan: 8ft (2.4m)
Warhead:: 1,500lb (680.3kg) RDX Shape Charge
Range: 450km (243nmi)
Speed: 1458mph (Mach 1.9)
Guidance: GPS/INS with terminal active radar seeker

Special Features:
- Sea-skimming
- Fits in Mk-41 VLS strike-length capsule
- Psuedo-random maneuvering in terminal attack phase

Plausible? Flaws? Yes/No?

"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Warhead is awfully heavy.

Halve it maybe.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm

A 1,000 lbs warhead will cripple all but the largest ships, and those you can sink with a dozen additional 1,000 pounders.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:01 pm

Going though the standard combat equipment of the Boers during the Rebellion. Note, this is what the equipment compares too, not what it actually is.

Rifles
FN FAL
M16A1(Given by defectors from the Volunteers)
M14 (Given by defectors from the Volunteers)
AR-18
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (Also Squad Support weapon)
FN Model 1949

Machine Guns
FN MAG
Heckler & Koch HK21
M60 machine gun (Given by defectors from the Volunteers)
Lewis gun
RPK
Bren Gun.

AT Weapons
RPG-7
M72 LAW
RPG-29

Artillery
M2 Mortar
M116 howitzer
Type 98 20 mm AA Machine Cannon
57 mm AZP S-60
ZiS-2
BS-3

Was trying to go with light and easy to move for the artillery by the way. Well, maybe the Bis-3 isn't so light, but the Boers need something heavy hitting.
― Fred Rogers

Mozria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Would it be possible to have a dual-purpose ATGM platform that can fire both ATGWs and SAMs? It wouldn't be using a radar or anything of the sort, as the SAMs would be infra-red seeking.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Mozria wrote:Would it be possible to have a dual-purpose ATGM platform that can fire both ATGWs and SAMs? It wouldn't be using a radar or anything of the sort, as the SAMs would be infra-red seeking.

Does this fit your requirements?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Defens ... ank_System
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:06 pm

SSM/ASM-4 "Leviathan"

Weight: 3,500lb (1,600kg)
Length: 19.5ft (5.9m)
Wingspan: 8ft (2.4m)
Warhead:: 1,000lb (453.5kg) Blast Fragmentation Penetrator
Range: 450km (243nmi)
Speed: 1458mph (Mach 1.9)
Guidance: GPS/INS with terminal active radar seeker

Special Features:
- Sea-skimming
- Fits in Mk-41 VLS strike-length capsule
- Psuedo-random maneuvering in terminal attack phase

Better?

I originally wanted to go full Kh-22 with 2025lb RDX shape charge, but I figured that wouldn't fit in an Mk-41 so I cut about a quarter off.

Now I chopped it down to 1000lb and made it closer to JASSM/LRASM-A warhead.
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firmador
Minister

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:Going though the standard combat equipment of the Boers during the Rebellion. Note, this is what the equipment compares too, not what it actually is.

Rifles
FN FAL
M16A1(Given by defectors from the Volunteers)
M14 (Given by defectors from the Volunteers)
AR-18
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (Also Squad Support weapon)
FN Model 1949

Machine Guns
FN MAG
Heckler & Koch HK21
M60 machine gun (Given by defectors from the Volunteers)
Lewis gun
RPK
Bren Gun.

AT Weapons
RPG-7
M72 LAW
RPG-29

Artillery
M2 Mortar
M116 howitzer
Type 98 20 mm AA Machine Cannon
57 mm AZP S-60
ZiS-2
BS-3

Was trying to go with light and easy to move for the artillery by the way. Well, maybe the Bis-3 isn't so light, but the Boers need something heavy hitting.

Well, I think you should give the FN FAL to the volunteers, and HK417s to your regular units, maybe an M60 over a BAR? They're all chambered in the same round.
Last edited by Firmador on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Mozria wrote:Would it be possible to have a dual-purpose ATGM platform that can fire both ATGWs and SAMs? It wouldn't be using a radar or anything of the sort, as the SAMs would be infra-red seeking.

Does this fit your requirements?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Defens ... ank_System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Mission_Effects_Vehicle

Under construction

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information