NATION

PASSWORD

NS infantry discussion thread. Mark II

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next iteration of the IDT?

Aqizithiuda
27%
Benomia
25%
Dread Lady Nathicana
4%
Kyrusia
2%
Purpelia
8%
Samoz (Imperializt Russia)
6%
Spreewerke
10%
Transnapastain
7%
Ulfr-Reich / Aethal
2%
United states of brazilian nations
7%

Total votes : 134

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:The abdomen or legs, where the weapons are most probably supposed to be pointed at, are a long, long way down from head height unless they had protesters running around with stilts.

I wouldn't want to get shot in the abdomen or legs with a "less lethal gun."
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:29 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:If you shot anyone in the eye with just about anything, there is a good chance they will die. There is no such thing as a perfect less lethal weapon. Rubber bullets can rupture organs and cause concussions, tasters can stop hearts, gas can choke, water cannons can also cause concussions, etc. The point is that it isn't as lethal as being shot by a gun, which is the main important bit.

Now thank you for insulting one of the moderators, Trans. Now cops are trained to not aim for the head with less lethal weapons, but that does't mean that they are always going to hit there. After all in most cases when your using one of these the situation might just be a little tense, which tends to reduce accuracy. Also from the looks of it the officers in both incidents were aiming at large crowds, which means that it is a little harder to aim well.

I think people here are getting the impression that I expected the projectile not to kill her after being shot in her eye. This isn't the point I'm trying to make: it's either very poor judgment on the side of the cop, or shit accuracy with the gun.

"A little harder" to aim well just doesn't cut it. The abdomen or legs, where the weapons are most probably supposed to be pointed at, are a long, long way down from head height unless they had protesters running around with stilts.

Or she was short, or the policeman was hit by a rock/bottle/metal bar as he fired, or he was dodging a rock/bottle/metal bar, or he was jostled by someone dodging a rock/bottle/metal bar, or the woman was bending down to pick something up, or the woman was going to ground as an involuntary reflex as a result of the 303s being used, or the round glanced off something and changed it's path, or the woman was ducking and weaving to avoid police attention after having thrown something, etc, etc, etc.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:33 pm

I'd like to present the M.1905/9K Luftschiff Karabiner

(Credit to Sen for the stock and a few other bits)
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:34 pm

I do love me a good kopis.

Might have it as Fordorsia's issued machete after the 30's.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Kouralia wrote:
Sevvania wrote:But your point was that it's not very good at "less-lethal", wasn't it? And you used an example in which the individual did not die.

Basically RN is the sort of mong who would rather see a policeman be cut up and hospitalised while wrestling a knife-wielding criminal to the ground rather than see the policeman do something totalitarian and evil like shoot him with a less-than-lethal weapon.

We've been through this before, with things like riot police being inherently bad or w/ever it was.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:The abdomen or legs, where the weapons are most probably supposed to be pointed at...

I dunno, from what I've read, any AFO would aim here without question.

Quite the contrary, Kour. I don't know where you got this impression. You're taking my words completely out of context and creating stuff on your own. If in your book RTL cameramen are knife-wielding criminals then you need to give up writing.

This isn't some sort of generalized rant against less than lethal weapons and how evil and authoritarian they are, you're imagining this. It's just a rant regarding the lack of training or common sense of the two cops specifically, or more probably the lack of accuracy of this specific weapon system.

y u hatin brah
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote: Now cops are trained to not aim for the head with less lethal weapons.

As a minor note, most police training programs I'm aware of actually discourage aiming for the head and, in fact, shots to the head of a target in qualification are not counted. One exception to this that I'm aware of in USAF Security Forces training, who still do two to the chest, one to the head, supposedly. Federal agencies may still train for head shots, I'm not sure.

As to what we do here...

The area shaded in red is the only area on the target that counts. Shots, in 6 round groups, are fired from 3 ft (hip shots, not aimed), 21 ft and 50 ft, and then 21 ft multiple targets, 21 fight simulated night shooting, and 21 feet from behind a barricade using weapon hand first and off hand grip second.

A 100% (all 6 rounds inside the target area) is required for all sections except the 50 ft course, which requires 5 of the 6 rounds to be inside the target zone.

Edit: funny story. My first time shooting, I "missed" at 3 ft. :P My shots hit outside the target area, instead striking the target in the kidneys. Although I insisted the target was, quite emphatically, dead. I had to re-shoot. :P
Last edited by Transnapastain on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:The abdomen or legs, where the weapons are most probably supposed to be pointed at, are a long, long way down from head height unless they had protesters running around with stilts.

Me neither, but what's your point? It should be safer than getting hit in the head or torso.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:38 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

Me neither, but what's your point? It should be safer than getting hit in the head or torso.

Anything is safer than getting hit in the head.

Except visiting the sun maybe. I heard it's pretty rough up there.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:43 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

No. The best place to get shot is your arm.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Kouralia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:The abdomen or legs, where the weapons are most probably supposed to be pointed at...

..when using lethal force, I presume? We were discussing less lethal weapons not firearms. They are *not* supposed to aim at the same area for obvious reasons.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Sevvania wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:This isn't the point I'm trying to make: it's either very poor judgment on the side of the cop, or poor accuracy with the gun.

Evidence seems to point to the latter. It's described as more accurate than a paintball out to 35 meters, and even that degree of accuracy degrades after three hundred rounds.

The 303 isn't a paintball gun at all. Accuracy is in an entirely different league.

Accuracy degrading after 300 rounds doesn't seem very plausible. The officer wasn't trained to use the gun and it was a stressful low-light situation.

Generally bad things will happen when someone gets hit in the eye with bismuth at 300 fps.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:48 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Kouralia wrote:

..when using lethal force, I presume? We were discussing less lethal weapons not firearms. They are *not* supposed to aim at the same area for obvious reasons.

For any shooting you aim at center of mass aka the red highlighted area that Trans posted above. I have heard that some training goes for lethal shooting at the upper torso and less lethal at the abdomen. However under most shooting situations your just going to end up shooting at the chest without much time to distinguish and aim better than center of mass.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

How come?

At rest it is too close to the torso, and as we have seen less-lethal weapons aren't the most accurate out of the bunch, so I wouldn't risk that.

EDIT: Not to mention they're also closer to the head ; if you're shooting at someone in a crowd and you miss it could hit some other guy in the head or torso, whereas with legs it wouldn't be that serious - not taking ricochet in account obviously

Legs are also somewhat easier to hit because they're thicker and their movement (if any) is easier to predict. Also if I were fat I'd prefer getting shot in my belly.
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

How come?

At rest it is too close to the torso, and as we have seen less-lethal weapons aren't the most accurate out of the bunch, so I wouldn't risk that.

Legs are also somewhat easier to hit because they're thicker and their movement (if any) is easier to predict. Also if I were fat I'd prefer getting shot in my belly.

Because your leg has the femoral artery, which is pretty bad if you get it severed, and your torso is full of your ooey, gooey innards.

Now your arm has your subclavian, but it's rather hard to hit

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 pm

I remember seeing a video where a guy got hit in the mouth by a tear gas canister during the Colombian riots last year. It blew his mouth to pieces. In my opinion, the well-being of those taking part in a riot should be the least of the police's concern, no matter the cause of the riot.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Fordorsia wrote:I remember seeing a video where a guy got hit in the mouth by a tear gas canister during the Colombian riots last year. It blew his mouth to pieces. In my opinion, the well-being of those taking part in a riot should be the least of the police's concern, no matter the cause of the riot.

:palm:

your views don't live up to your "nation type" at all . . . but to each his own.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:57 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:I remember seeing a video where a guy got hit in the mouth by a tear gas canister during the Colombian riots last year. It blew his mouth to pieces. In my opinion, the well-being of those taking part in a riot should be the least of the police's concern, no matter the cause of the riot.

your views don't live up to your "nation type" at all . . . but to each his own.

huh?

Sediczja
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:snip

Not being funny, but why should they?
Last edited by Sediczja on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A holy place can never exist without enemies.
I'm not even an anarchist but whatever
DeviantArt
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened

Carcelea wrote:WHEN IT WILL STOPS?????

Saiwania wrote:Instead of adjusting my world view to fit more closely with facts, I prefer to try to force the facts into my world view. I've come to my conclusion: that race mixing is bad, therefore I have to do my best to minimize what contradicts that and maximize what supports it. I desperately want the Bible's scriptures to say that God forbids interracial marriage.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
How come?

Because your leg has the femoral artery, which is pretty bad if you get it severed, and your torso is full of your ooey, gooey innards.

Now your arm has your subclavian, but it's rather hard to hit

If you aim at a guy's arm, and you miss and/or your weapon's accuracy is shit you're closer to your target's (and others') torso and head than if you were to aim at his legs.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

huh?

Civil Rights Lovefest

(sense the irony)
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

I assume Ford is making a distinction between demonstrations and riots. :P

I...personally agree with Ford regarding rioters and their rights. Professionally, I can't put that opinion into practice if I want to keep drawing a paycheck...and I do (even though I'm pretty sure I can get more money on unemployment but that's a whole new topic). If you're stupid enough to riot, and fight the police, you deserve what you get. Did you know that, when presented with a given use of force situation, the average citizen responds that they would have used more force than the officer involved in said situation did?

Demonstrators are fine. Its their right to protest shit in a lawful manner, more power to them.

Well, duh. No one would need to protest in a civil rights lovefest. :P
Last edited by Transnapastain on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:04 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

How come?

EDIT: Not to mention they're also closer to the head ; if you're shooting at someone in a crowd and you miss it could hit some other guy in the head or torso, whereas with legs it wouldn't be that serious - not taking ricochet in account obviously

A strike to a joint, for example the knee, with the impact a less then lethal round needs to work, will break the joint. Which, at least in Canada, is equivalent to lethal force (Grievous bodily harm). My understanding is that it is the same in much of the Western world.

Centre of mass for less then lethal weapons is a must, because it means you will hit the area most able to take the impact without grievous bodily harm.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

I assume Ford is making a distinction between demonstrations and riots. :P

I...personally agree with Ford regarding rioters and their rights. Professionally, I can't put that opinion into practice if I want to keep drawing a paycheck...and I do (even though I'm pretty sure I can get more money on unemployment but that's a whole new topic). If you're stupid enough to riot, and fight the police, you deserve what you get. Did you know that, when presented with a given use of force situation, the average citizen responds that they would have used more force than the officer involved in said situation did?

Demonstrators are fine. Its their right to protest shit in a lawful manner, more power to them.

Reminds me of the University of California debacle. Students were protesting and camping out on the college without a permit. The campus police tried to disperse them and they linked arms and sat down. Police couldn't move them and pulled out the pepper spray, and started liberally applying it. I remember because I was in a class where we were discussing it and my personal opinion was that the students had it coming because they were protesting without a permit and resisting the lawful attempts of the police to disperse that assembly.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
How come?

A strike to a joint, for example the knee, with the impact a less then lethal round needs to work, will break the joint. Which, at least in Canada, is equivalent to lethal force (Grievous bodily harm). My understanding is that it is the same in much of the Western world.

Centre of mass for less then lethal weapons is a must, because it means you will hit the area most able to take the impact without grievous bodily harm.

How hitting someone in the heart or lung can be less serious than a broken knee is beyond me. Aim below the rib cage. And don't use the weapon at a range where its' accuracy cannot ensure a safe hit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information