NATION

PASSWORD

NS infantry discussion thread. Mark II

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next iteration of the IDT?

Aqizithiuda
27%
Benomia
25%
Dread Lady Nathicana
4%
Kyrusia
2%
Purpelia
8%
Samoz (Imperializt Russia)
6%
Spreewerke
10%
Transnapastain
7%
Ulfr-Reich / Aethal
2%
United states of brazilian nations
7%

Total votes : 134

Sediczja
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm

PLNS 4B1M 54/81

The Prátiwnotankij Laserem Nawidojny Strelac 4B1M 54/81 (Antitank Laser Guided Missile 4B1M 54/81) is a Sediczjan beam-riding SACLOS ATGM, introduced as an MCLOS weapon system in 1954 and updated to SACLOS in 1981. The weapon system can be carried, deployed and fired by a single soldier with minimal training. The system consists of two components: The launcher, which also doubles up as a man-portable carrying case, and the control system, which is comprised of a laser projector and a 3x optical sight.

Manufacturer: Nirsk state armoury, Ohntosk state armoury
Weight: 14kg (31lb)
Calibre: 6kg HEAT warhead
Effective range: 1300m

Cookie if you can guess what it's based on.
Last edited by Sediczja on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A holy place can never exist without enemies.
I'm not even an anarchist but whatever
DeviantArt
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened

Carcelea wrote:WHEN IT WILL STOPS?????

Saiwania wrote:Instead of adjusting my world view to fit more closely with facts, I prefer to try to force the facts into my world view. I've come to my conclusion: that race mixing is bad, therefore I have to do my best to minimize what contradicts that and maximize what supports it. I desperately want the Bible's scriptures to say that God forbids interracial marriage.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:16 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Well he didn't die, now did he?

EDIT: Also Trans is going to have a bone to pick with you after that cop comment.

He wouldn't have died even with a .50 BMG, that's completely beside the point

Actually, even hitting him in the finger with a wiffle ball bat and breaking it could kill him. Shock is a bitch. Regardless I would be more inclined to make a proper judgement if I knew the distance at which the shot was taken, whether the camera man was the intended target, and what the followup action was.
Unreachable.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Sediczja wrote:PLNS 4B1M 54/61

(Image)
The Prátiwnotankij Laserem Nawidojny Strelac 4B1M 54/61 (Antitank Laser Guided Missile 4B1M 54/81) is a Sediczjan beam-riding SACLOS ATGM, introduced as an MCLOS weapon system in 1954 and updated to SACLOS in 1981. The weapon system can be carried, deployed and fired by a single soldier with minimal training. The system consists of two components: The launcher, which also doubles up as a man-portable carrying case, and the control system, which is comprised of a laser projector and a 2x optical sight.

That man portable TOW thing that comes in the box.
Unreachable.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:
A strike to a joint, for example the knee, with the impact a less then lethal round needs to work, will break the joint. Which, at least in Canada, is equivalent to lethal force (Grievous bodily harm). My understanding is that it is the same in much of the Western world.

Centre of mass for less then lethal weapons is a must, because it means you will hit the area most able to take the impact without grievous bodily harm.

How hitting someone in the heart or lung can be less serious than a broken knee is beyond me. Aim below the rib cage. And don't use the weapon at a range where its' accuracy cannot ensure a safe hit.

Good idea. Let's rupture the spleen/liver/kidneys/bowels.

(Image)
The Prátiwnotankij Laserem Nawidojny Strelac 4B1M 54/61 (Antitank Laser Guided Missile 4B1M 54/81) is a Sediczjan beam-riding SACLOS ATGM, introduced as an MCLOS weapon system in 1954 and updated to SACLOS in 1981. The weapon system can be carried, deployed and fired by a single soldier with minimal training. The system consists of two components: The launcher, which also doubles up as a man-portable carrying case, and the control system, which is comprised of a laser projector and a 2x optical sight.

The SS.10
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:18 pm

(Image)

Something seems a bit off, you probably want something with more magnification than just 2x because at ranges where that's useful you probably don't even need any type of guidance.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:19 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:
A strike to a joint, for example the knee, with the impact a less then lethal round needs to work, will break the joint. Which, at least in Canada, is equivalent to lethal force (Grievous bodily harm). My understanding is that it is the same in much of the Western world.

Centre of mass for less then lethal weapons is a must, because it means you will hit the area most able to take the impact without grievous bodily harm.

How hitting someone in the heart or lung can be less serious than a broken knee is beyond me. Aim below the rib cage. And don't use the weapon at a range where its' accuracy cannot ensure a safe hit.

Because your rib cage can take ans disperse an impact better then the delicate joint that is your knee. A shot to the chest with less then lethal is going to not do the serious things you think unless you have such severe osteoporosis that people over the age of 100 have stronger bones then you.

Aiming for the soft gut area, where the impact has more room to go and less structure to spread out on is actually more lethal and causes more harm. If you don;t believe it, go get punched in the gut, then get punched in the chest, you'll notice the difference.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Sediczja
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:That man portable TOW thing that comes in the box.

Kinda. :P

Aqizithiuda wrote:The SS.10

Nope.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Something seems a bit off, you probably want something with more magnification than just 2x because at ranges where that's useful you probably don't even need any type of guidance.

Seen.
DeviantArt

Saiwania wrote:Instead of adjusting my world view to fit more closely with facts, I prefer to try to force the facts into my world view. I've come to my conclusion: that race mixing is bad, therefore I have to do my best to minimize what contradicts that and maximize what supports it. I desperately want the Bible's scriptures to say that God forbids interracial marriage.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

(Image)

The SS.10

That's better than risking cardiac arrest.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:23 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

The SS.10

The 28th Amendment to the US Constitution is the "Shoot all the olds devouring our pensions" Amendment.

The 29th Amendment was passed because the 28th caused a thousand olds to die of cardiac arrest in their wheelchairs during the Provisional Pensioners Promenade on Washington.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:26 pm

New Tsavon wrote:I'd like to present the M.1905/9K Luftschiff Karabiner

(Credit to Sen for the stock and a few other bits)
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:28 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

The SS.10

I would rather a small chance of cardiac arrest/punctured lungs than a much larger chance of dying from massive internal hemorrhaging.

But that's just me being a pussy about not wanting to die in immense pain.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Sediczja
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:29 pm

New Tsavon wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:I'd like to present the M.1905/9K Luftschiff Karabiner

(Credit to Sen for the stock and a few other bits)

Smooth.

I should make some order of bolt-action rifle for Sediczja, but my current level of proficiency with Sketchup precludes me from making rifle stocks that don't look like complete arse.
DeviantArt

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:30 pm

Sediczja wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:That man portable TOW thing that comes in the box.

Kinda. :P

Aqizithiuda wrote:The SS.10

Nope.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Something seems a bit off, you probably want something with more magnification than just 2x because at ranges where that's useful you probably don't even need any type of guidance.

Seen.

Damn! Thought I had that one in the bag.

Sediczja
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:Damn! Thought I had that one in the bag.

Heh. You're close in terms of time period and operation, and not too far off in terms of country of origin either :3
DeviantArt

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Aim below the rib cage. And don't use the weapon at a range where its' accuracy cannot ensure a safe hit.

If the police only fired their weapons, lethal or nonlethal, in perfect and ideal situations, I suspect they would rarely fire their weapons at all. I have no idea what their casualties would be like, though.
Last edited by Sevvania on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:48 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

The SS.10

After researching more, in all honesty, it is a pretty unlikely event. Wikipedia is our savior as always:

Commotio cordis (Latin, "agitation of the heart") is an often lethal disruption of heart rhythm that occurs as a result of a blow to the area directly over the heart (the precordial region), at a critical time during the cycle of a heart beat causing cardiac arrest. It is a form of ventricular fibrillation (V-Fib), not mechanical damage to the heart muscle or surrounding organs, and not the result of heart disease. The fatality rate is about 65%.[1] It can sometimes, but not always, be reversed by defibrillation.[2]

The following factors influence the chance of commotio cordis:
Direction of impact over the precordium (precise area, angle of impact)
Total applied energy (area of impact versus energy, i.e., the kinetic energy of the projectile Ek=1/2mv^2)
Impact occurring within a specific 10–30-millisecond portion of the cardiac cycle. This period occurs in the ascending phase of the T wave, when the ventricular myocardium is repolarizing, moving from systole to diastole (relaxation).
The small window of vulnerability explains why it is a rare event. Considering that the total cardiac cycle has a duration of 1000 milliseconds (for a base cardiac frequency of 60 beats per minute), the probability of a mechanical trauma within the window of vulnerability is 1 to 3% only. That also explains why the heart becomes more vulnerable when it is physically strained by sports activities:
The increase in heart rate (exercise tachycardia) may double the probability above (e.g., with 120 beats per minute the cardiac cycle shortens to 500 milliseconds without fundamentally altering the window-of-vulnerability's size);
Relative exercise-induced hypoxia and acceleration of the excito-conductive system of the heart make it more susceptible to stretch-induced ventricular fibrillation.
The cellular mechanisms of commotio cordis are still poorly understood, but probably related to the activation of mechano-sensitive proteins, ion channels.
It is estimated that impact energies of at least 50 joules are required to cause cardiac arrest, when applied in the right time and spot of the precordium of an adult.[citation needed] Impacts of up to 130 joules have already been measured with hockey pucks and lacrosse balls, 450 joules in karate punches and 1028 joules in boxer Rocky Marciano's punch.[6] The 50-joule threshold, however, can be considerably lowered when the victim's heart is under ischemic conditions, such as in coronary artery insufficiency.[5]
There is also an upper limit of impact energy applied to the heart; too much energy will create structural damage to the heart muscle as well as causing electrical upset. This condition is referred to as contusio cordis (from Latin for bruising of the heart). On isolated guinea pig hearts, as little as 5 mJ was needed to induce release of creatine kinase, a marker for muscle cell damage.[7] Obviously one should take into account that this figure does not include the dissipation of energy through the chest wall, and is not scaled up for humans, but it is indicative that relatively small amounts of energy are required to reach the heart before physical damage is done.

Most cases are fatal. Automated external defibrillators have helped increase the survival rate to 35%.[2] Defibrillation must be started as soon as possible (within 3 minutes) for maximal benefit. Commotio cordis is the leading cause of fatalities in youth baseball in the US, with 2 to 3 deaths per year.[8] It has been recommended that "communities and school districts reexamine the need for accessible automatic defibrillators and cardiopulmonary resuscitation-trained coaches at organized sporting events for children."[9]

If you get hit by an FN303 projectile at the wrong time in the wrong place you have chances somewhat better than 50/50 of surviving. Fortunately, there's only a 10-30 ms window in a 1000 ms cycle for 60 BPM, but for 120 BPM you're looking at up to 2%-6% (double the above), and it is very likely someone participating in a riot has elevated heart rate.

I'm not sure this is the only mechanism that could cause cardiac arrest, perhaps there are others.

EDIT: Or any projectile retaining 50J of energy at impact for that matter - emphasis on the need of accuracy and proper training.
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Sevvania wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Aim below the rib cage. And don't use the weapon at a range where its' accuracy cannot ensure a safe hit.

If the police only fired their weapons, lethal or nonlethal, in perfect and ideal situations, I suspect they would rarely fire their weapons at all. I have no idea what their casualties would be like, though.

Here's an interesting bit on the FN303 they seem to praise it TBH.

In practice it seems to be too powerful for short ranges and too inaccurate for long ranges . . . but really, let's get over with it.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Sevvania wrote:If the police only fired their weapons, lethal or nonlethal, in perfect and ideal situations, I suspect they would rarely fire their weapons at all. I have no idea what their casualties would be like, though.

Here's an interesting bit on the FN303 they seem to praise it TBH.

In practice it seems to be too powerful for short ranges and too inaccurate for long ranges . . . but really, let's get over with it.

You make or hard when you advocate using less lethal weapons in ways that will increase their chance of killing someone and think that that's okay because at least you aren't giving them a heart attack.

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
1.No. Not really. What surprises me is the stupidity of the cop who did it, or the shit accuracy of the weapon.

But really, a less lethal projectile to the eye doesn't mean autokill. It's not a bullet, you know.

2. The whole point behind a less lethal gun is that it doesn't do shit that would happen anyway with any sort of firearm. And as stated he shouldn't have shot him in the hand in the first place (or shot him at all, WTF is this, DPRK? )

Any sort of projectile entering your skull via eye socket has a very high (>90%) chance of killing you since your brain is literally right behind your eyes.

A less lethal gun is still a gun, it's just, well, less lethal obviously.

I'd check that figure if I were you. The frontal lobes aren't critical to survival.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Imperializt Russia wrote:
Premislyd wrote:
Any sort of projectile entering your skull via eye socket has a very high (>90%) chance of killing you since your brain is literally right behind your eyes.

I'd check that figure if I were you. The frontal lobes aren't critical to survival.

The problem is that it tends to cause bleeding in the skull, which is very bad very fast.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Premislyd wrote:

While not critical, cranial hemorrhaging isn't very good.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:13 pm

Unreachable.

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:15 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:

The heart and lungs are defended by the ribcage. The ribcage is there to absorb impacts. Impacts such as less lethal ammunition.

Below the ribcage, you have no protection but tour fat and your organs. In other words, none.

Also,

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Do you train your grunts in ambidextrously firing their rifles? I keep on hearing about it and realize its' benefits (firing around corners on your dominant side, if losing dexterity in one b/c of injury or whatever, etc) but is it something that's really mastered and used in actual combat? It just sounds like a hard thing to pull of consistently, that's all.

This struck me while I was contemplating chest-mounted knife sheaths (pic related)

(Image)

for my grunts, and seeing how that setup could prove uncomfortable (rifle stock sits on knife instead of shoulder), I was going to make right-handed :arrow: grunts place the knife on the left side of their torso and vice versa. But it would still get in the way for this ambidextrous firing I'm hearing about.

I don't think it's going to be of that much use.
Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote: shot in the eye and died

You can't be serious.

You're genuinely surprised by this?

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:RTL cameraman got shot with one in the finger, breaking it.

Hate to break it to you, but this is going to happen with any sort of firearm.

You can shoot yourself in the eye with a recurve bow and completely not kill yourself .

Also,

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Premislyd wrote:

This was proved in the first iteration of this thread.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information