NATION

PASSWORD

NS infantry discussion thread. Mark II

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next iteration of the IDT?

Aqizithiuda
27%
Benomia
25%
Dread Lady Nathicana
4%
Kyrusia
2%
Purpelia
8%
Samoz (Imperializt Russia)
6%
Spreewerke
10%
Transnapastain
7%
Ulfr-Reich / Aethal
2%
United states of brazilian nations
7%

Total votes : 134

Black Hand
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:54 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:Suddenly you get hit by assault rifles

ur ded

this isn't for a mainline unit.... this is what would be Called a B group in soviet terminology , also 1960s
Bezombia wrote:
If you're in 1945 and have a very strange love affair with SMGs, then sure.

1960's actually :blink: how did you know I had a thing for SMG's?
Tule wrote:
Your squad would get slaughtered in CQC.

It might be worth it to have a designated marksman in your squad armed with a bolt-action rifle, though he would probably need a PDW.

I already do some weird shit with DMR's and snipers. also not late enough for the concept of DM's in a squad.
Vorkova wrote:
Black Hand wrote:Would it be reasonable to use bolt action rifles provided that a 12 man squad featured an automatic weapon at a ratio of 1:2/. so say 8 bolt action riflemen, 2 automatic riflemen, and 2 belt fed MG's, and an SMG wielding officer. would that work out? (keep in mind said SMG is 6.8 SPC)

I love bolt action rifles too, but they just aren't effective now. There's a reason why even guerillas use AKs.

I understand that, automatic fire no matter how accurate has far more potential
Last edited by Black Hand on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
I live in a World all my own.
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Sight rib? Like a barbecue?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

San-Silvacian wrote:Nothing says I love you like a fine Belgian firearm.

Bezombia wrote: "glorious discharge"

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Black Hand wrote:this isn;t for a mainline unit.... this is what would be Called a B group in soviet terminology , also 1960s

Honestly by the 1960's you should be able to get your hands on at the very least second hand semi automatics like the M1 Garand or SVT-40, maybe even the SKS.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Black Hand wrote: 1960's actually :blink: how did you know I had a thing for SMG's?

Because you'd need to have an unnatural attraction to them to actually be issueing them in the squad level.

Soviet Union did because they fought an enemy who did and found that they were all dying because of them. Nobody else really used SMGs.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Vorkova wrote:
Black Hand wrote:Would it be reasonable to use bolt action rifles provided that a 12 man squad featured an automatic weapon at a ratio of 1:2/. so say 8 bolt action riflemen, 2 automatic riflemen, and 2 belt fed MG's, and an SMG wielding officer. would that work out? (keep in mind said SMG is 6.8 SPC)

I love bolt action rifles too, but they just aren't effective now. There's a reason why even guerillas use AKs.

Not all guerillas actually.

The SMLE still reigns supreme at long range.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

3 State Alliance
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 3 State Alliance » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
3 State Alliance wrote:I know right - nothing says "Badass coming through!" like good urban camo.

I did that during a paintball game once - had to use a garden hose to wash my shield afterwards :lol2:
"Lets introduce these savages to the 20th century! All ranks, fire at will."
Commissar Maria Smith, The Siege of High Reach

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Tule wrote:
Vorkova wrote:I love bolt action rifles too, but they just aren't effective now. There's a reason why even guerillas use AKs.

Sorta proves my point, bolt action rifles are still weapons of terror, see how effectively a single marksman pins down those marines? Now imagine 8 of those riflemen firing upon them with automatic fire supplanting them. What I'm trying to determine now is if I could feasibly make a straight pull bolt action 9.3X64 that feeds from clips as well as magazines. because straight pull and 9.3X64 aren't terms I've seen together.

Also Beno is there an issue with giving NCO's SMG's? I also realized that I need a different SMG for interwar era. M/45 chambered in 9X25 or 9X23? (basically a 10mm auto necked to 9X19 rounds Vs .45 acp necked to 9X19)
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Black Hand wrote:
Tule wrote:

Sorta proves my point, bolt action rifles are still weapons of terror, see how effectively a single marksman pins down those marines? Now imagine 8 of those riflemen firing upon them with automatic fire supplanting them. What I'm trying to determine now is if I could feasibly make a straight pull bolt action 9.3X64 that feeds from clips as well as magazines. because straight pull and 9.3X64 aren't terms I've seen together.

Also Beno is there an issue with giving NCO's SMG's? I also realized that I need a different SMG for interwar era. M/45 chambered in 9X25 or 9X23? (basically a 10mm auto necked to 9X19 rounds Vs .45 acp necked to 9X19)

There is absolutely no reason to use a bolt action at the squad level. You won't really be needing uberaccuracy, and there's nothing a typical bolt action can do for the squad that a semi-auto like the SVD or M110 can't do better.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Black Hand wrote:
Tule wrote:

Then suddenly:

Assault rifles.

Suddenly Mr. bolt action pin point shooter is being sprayed by some bloke with an M16A1.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Black Hand wrote:
Tule wrote:

If 2/3'ds of your squad members are armed with bolt action rifles, then 2/3 of your squad is useless at ranges of less than 300 meters, where most combat takes place.

Put one bolt-action rifleman on your squad at the very most.

I would also like to point out that 7.62x51 is the upper limit of what most infantrymen can handle in terms of recoil. Anything over 20 ft. lbs of recoil energy and your riflemen's accuracy degrades rapidly as they are now dreading each shot they take. 9.3X64 is way too powerful for anythinig other than specialized troops.
Last edited by Tule on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Romic
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Romic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Is it possible to make a round like a 5.56 explode on impact? (not hollow point) but like a very very small grenade?
TG me Anytime, I enjoy them :)
TET's Chosen Mush Mind

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Romic wrote:Is it possible to make a round like a 5.56 explode on impact? (not hollow point) but like a very very small grenade?

Explosives aren't really small like that. Explosive bullets certainly are a possibility and have been for decades, but a round that small won't get much out of one.

Romic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Romic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Romic wrote:Is it possible to make a round like a 5.56 explode on impact? (not hollow point) but like a very very small grenade?

Explosives aren't really small like that. Explosive bullets certainly are a possibility and have been for decades, but a round that small won't get much out of one.

What would be the smallest round possible for it to be pratical for a single person?
TET's Chosen Mush Mind

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Romic wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

What would be the smallest round possible for it to be pratical for a single person?

They made spezzial exploding 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridges with an explosive projectile in WWII, so you might be able to squeeze it down into a 7.62mm package, but I wouldn't go any lower than that.

Romic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Romic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Would I be able to rechamber an M4 for that round?
TET's Chosen Mush Mind

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:13 pm

Romic wrote:Would I be able to rechamber an M4 for that round?

Shorten an AR-10.
Last edited by Spreewerke on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Romic wrote:Would I be able to rechamber an M4 for that round?

The M4 is based on the AR-15 which is based on the AR-10.
The AR-10 is already a 7.62 battle rifle.

If you give an AR-10 an explosive 7.62x51mm cartridge, a lot of people will love you for it.

Romic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Romic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:14 pm

What about a more modern round that I could rechamber an M4
TET's Chosen Mush Mind

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Romic wrote:What about a more modern round that I could rechamber an M4

There is nothing "unmodern" about 7.62x51. It's still used by every major NATO power.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Tule wrote:
Black Hand wrote:Sorta proves my point, bolt action rifles are still weapons of terror, see how effectively a single marksman pins down those marines? Now imagine 8 of those riflemen firing upon them with automatic fire supplanting them. What I'm trying to determine now is if I could feasibly make a straight pull bolt action 9.3X64 that feeds from clips as well as magazines. because straight pull and 9.3X64 aren't terms I've seen together.

If 2/3'ds of your squad members are armed with bolt action rifles, then 2/3 of your squad is useless at ranges of less than 300 meters, where most combat takes place.

Put one bolt-action rifleman on your squad at the very most.

I would also like to point out that 7.62x51 is the upper limit of what most infantrymen can handle in terms of recoil. Anything over 20 ft. lbs of recoil energy and your riflemen's accuracy degrades rapidly as they are now dreading each shot they take. 9.3X64 is way too powerful for anythinig other than specialized troops.

What about the 8mm Mauser? Was it that unshootable by the average soldier?

Bezombia wrote:
Romic wrote:What would be the smallest round possible for it to be pratical for a single person?

They made spezzial exploding 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridges with an explosive projectile in WWII, so you might be able to squeeze it down into a 7.62mm package, but I wouldn't go any lower than that.

There's an explosive 7.62x54mmR round, IIRC.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Romic wrote:What about a more modern round that I could rechamber an M4

Shorten an AR-10.

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Okay I'm beginning to think my entire operational doctrine is broken. Should I just take 7.62x54R make it standard and be done? And as augments and power armor ate developed simply up rate of fire and magazine size and call them assault rifles. I'm thinking that better control is preferable to fire power and well to be honest a improved/modernized 7.62x54R cartridge using modern propellants and primers would get rather good penetration.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Black Hand wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:Suddenly you get hit by assault rifles

ur ded

this isn't for a mainline unit.... this is what would be Called a B group in soviet terminology , also 1960s
Bezombia wrote:
If you're in 1945 and have a very strange love affair with SMGs, then sure.

1960's actually :blink: how did you know I had a thing for SMG's?
Tule wrote:
Your squad would get slaughtered in CQC.

It might be worth it to have a designated marksman in your squad armed with a bolt-action rifle, though he would probably need a PDW.

I already do some weird shit with DMR's and snipers. also not late enough for the concept of DM's in a squad.
Vorkova wrote:I love bolt action rifles too, but they just aren't effective now. There's a reason why even guerillas use AKs.

I understand that, automatic fire no matter how accurate has far more potential

Sixties is nőt too late for designated marksmen.
Had there been enough funding, every infantry squad in Finnish army would have had a one mosin with scope in WWII.
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Arcortus
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcortus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Figured I would put out a history for a Submachine guns.

M3 Submachine Gun (1952-Present): the M3 Grease Gun was adopted into serves in 1952 as it became evident that combat in urban areas would be common as seen from when the Byrrus Res Novae took hold in many urban areas and although the Revolution was quelled in 1949 the issue of the M1 Garand being too big and bulk to maneuver correctly witching the tight areas of the city most notably within buildings and ally ways. The first and most obvious candidate to fix the issue was the M1 Carbine but was dropped due to the fact that it's ammunition was not in high stock within the nations Armories by which time the M3 had been cast as a suggestion mainly for its short design and it's use of the .45 ACP round the same one used by the standard issue M1911 handgun. After a trial stage against other weapons including the MP40 and Carl Gustav m/45. After a year of trials the M3 was picked as the new Standard Issue Submachine gun of the United Confederate Armed Forces.

It was quickly handed out to urban unites and tank crews it was quickly nicknamed Proximasi which translates to "Shorty" and many grew to like it for its reliability and ease of use. It first saw major combat during the Islamic Uprising in Virliurba in 1967 which saw a 89 day siege of the city from Islamic Militants which ultimately resulted in Black Saturday which was the assault of the Mosque which was the headquarters for the militants activity resulting in the death of over 469 militants and 78 members of the United Confederate Armed Forces and 3 members of the Confederate Air Force after their
Hughes OH-6 Cayuse helicopter was shot down (at the time it was only one of two in use). The M3 played an important role in the attack as it served as the main weapon used by UCAF Members and was immortalized in a picture of a UCAF soldier holding it slumped across his shoulder as he smoked a cigaret with a mosque burning in the background.

It would see continual use in small counter-terrorist operations across the nation but was tested greatly in the Tribus Bellum which took place from 1999 until 2011 and occurred mostly in the arid north. It was used extensively in urban areas along with the L1A1 as well as with tank crews. Although complaints came in from tank crews complaining of power and range issues when in heavy combat and eventually lead to many soldiers buy their own rifles and using them in combat with the Ruger Mini-14, FAL-OSW, and Kel-Tec RFB were among the most popular with troop. After the war in 2011 the Ministry of the Military laid out plans to phase the M3 out of service with tank crews and has proposed many successors including the FAL-OSW, Kel-Tec RFB, and SCAR-H Mk 17 CQC however a choice has yet to be made. The submachine gun still continues to A&E survive with Urban UCAF forces but has slowly seen a drop in usage with other shorter FAL/L1A1 veto ants being used instead. Currently the MoM is debating on wether to replace the gun by ether replacing it with another Submachine gun or with a short barrel carbine.

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Black Hand wrote:Okay I'm beginning to think my entire operational doctrine is broken. Should I just take 7.62x54R make it standard and be done? And as augments and power armor ate developed simply up rate of fire and magazine size and call them assault rifles. I'm thinking that better control is preferable to fire power and well to be honest a improved/modernized 7.62x54R cartridge using modern propellants and primers would get rather good penetration.

Updated plan. what about using a 7.62X54R case and loading 7.62X39 and 7.62X25 projectiles for various weapons, in this manner would it not be possible to build a K2 based Battle rifle that could in turn be adapted to serve as a carbine and PDW respectively but still be capable of using the heavier longer ranged loads.everything from subsonic 7.62X54R all the way down to a 7.62X54R (7.62X25 projectile) that was launched out the barrel at absurd velocity. all without changing anything except maybe the return spring and adjusting the gas valve. I think this might be a way to make simple modular weapon system, only I issue I see is that it's awfully heavy and large cartridges for a PDW in most cases.
Last edited by Black Hand on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information