NATION

PASSWORD

The most influential alliance... FT and MT welcome.

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

The most influential alliance... FT and MT welcome.

Postby Auman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:09 am

I came across a thread talking about the most power nation in the game, Sarzonia pretty much hit the nail on the hammer that such a country doesn't exist, per se. I came to the conclusion that the real power blocs come into play on the alliance level. Some groups have members that work well enough together to make them a force that is known and respected in their playing circles... Some alliances get smashed within days of their founding, but others that survive often live to become relevant and, some times, influential.

I can only speak of FT here, but there are several alliances that deserve the title of influential. Those would be:

-Hermes
-The Imperial Republic of the North
-The Galactic Empire.

I'll state the reasons why I'd count these groups... First off, all the members of these alliances have substantial populations. Most of the players in these alliances have been playing regularly for awhile now.

With Hermes, I'd like to think that the power of the alliance I am affiliated with comes from the Hyperspace gate network, which connects over sixty solar systems across the Milky Way galaxy. The alliance has three nations that started in 2003 and the youngest started in 2005. The members put a lot of effort into writing out development of all sorts, be it technological, military or character based. Militarily, the gate system gives them an unparalleled ability to traverse the galaxy in very short order, giving them an awesome force multiplier in the form of strategic mobility. The disadvantage they have is their erratic, militant and aggressive dictatorial leaders... One of which suffers from severe post traumatic stress disorder, causing him to make rash, often violent, mistakes.

The Imperial Republic of the North is an influential group of people because their threat to impose a .003% tariff on all goods transported into the galactic north met probably one of the most off the handle responses I've ever seen in the game. They still have the Galactic Commonwealth of Planets shitting in their pants and getting ready for "The big one". Their membership is made up of quite a few experienced players that are well known and respected in the community. Several of them are exceptional at "writing on the spot", that being the ability to still churn out level headed posts even though they have a gun in their face. Militarily, they're the regional equal of Hermes. They have the ability to sit down in one place and wait for an attack from any direction because they have so god damned many ships it makes my head spin. The quality of these ships has yet to be determined, but by going by the Russian example, quantity has it's own sort of quality. They control galactic North East and utilize a slipgate system that allows them to traverse their own space well enough to keep it under control... That being said, my personal opinion of the slipgate system is that it's good enough, but not good. To me it seems like a purely military system that isn't as efficient at reaping the economic rewards of mass transport that the Hermes gate system does... That being said, IRON policy hasn't helped them branch out into the galaxy's emerging markets like Hermes has. I'd say IRON is a galaxy class alliance that's expansion is limited by its own doctrine.

The Galactic Empire... That is an interesting one. They just came back, but I've already taken notice of them. I sacrificed billions of foreign citizens to stop them and now that they're back I've taken notice. I wouldn't be surprised if most of FT was as worried as I am. Telros' stand against Hyperspatial Travel's, a founding IRON member, support of the Osanyian massacre at Kalgar has earned my respect. Those who know the history of the Galactic Empire could tell you volumes about the ruthless regime of Unified Sith and the horrors that the organization visited upon the galaxy... Which would make anyone weary. But as for Telros' stand at Kalgar, that throws their whole dynamic in doubt... I really have no clue what they intend to do in the future, good or bad and I'll be keeping my eye on them to the point where I don't intend to over commit too much in the way of military force until I'm sure of their intentions. That's about all I know about that.

Anyway, post your opinions on who you think are the most influential groups in this game.
Last edited by Auman on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IBNFTW local 8492

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:18 am

Hmm. The GE is a toughie simply because they keep to themselves so much. Half their shit happens in another galaxy - and let's face it, FT RP is focused on the Milky Way. Everything that happens in the MW happens within their own group - it's the same reason none of the Solar powers can make this list. However, maybe none of that matters, because the GE is a substantial force in the universe, even though its focus is elsewhere.

IRON and Hermes are also both plagued by infighting, although of a different sort, but I don't know the internal politics of the GE to comment. I can think of other alliances, but no major ones that would challenge Hermes, IRON, or the GE.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Bryn Shander
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bryn Shander » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 am

I wouldn't say that we're plagued with infighting so much as the Dersconi are uncooperative and the Havenics are incompetent.
The Jannarii Empire | Founder of the Hermes Alliance
Bryn Shander is the capital city. Jannath is the homeworld. The adjective for the people is Jannarii, while the adjective for the people that live in the capital and the ethnic group that lived in the Kingdom of Bryn Shander before planetary unification is Shanderan. Shanderan is also the name of the language spoken in the Jannarii Empire.
FT Map of the Milky Way | Qustions and Answers concerning the Jannarii Empire.
NS Futuretech on Facebook | NS Futuretech on IRC | NS Balls | NS Trainers
IBNFTW local 8492

Derscon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Derscon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 am

Bryn Shander wrote:I wouldn't say that we're plagued with infighting so much as the Dersconi are uncooperative and the Havenics are incompetent.

I think that counts.
NationStates remains an excellent educational tool for children. It can teach you exactly just how far people will go to gain extrajudicially what they could never gain legitimately. ~ Questers
And congratulations to Derscon, who has finally codified the exact basis on which NS issues work. ~ Ardchoille

瞞天過海

Return to Factbooks and National Information