NATION

PASSWORD

NS Infantry discussion thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Purpelia wrote:No, I didn't. Could you quote it for me?

Basically, I mentioned that you'll want lead, not incendiary compound, surrounding the core in order to prevent the round from igniting in the barrel.

Really? But all the crossections of API rounds have it like that. Or is there actually a thin jacket of lead around the core that I am not seeing here?
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/ammo_c ... I_APT1.jpg

Also I do have a bit more burny stuff so that my core does not actually touch the jacket. Is that a problem too?
I based my load off the 2nd from the left in that picture.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

United Republics of Aralon
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Purpelia wrote:
United Republics of Aralon wrote:The sowrd you just talked down on, is much more practical.
Your khopesh is the best line art of a sword I have seen. Truly- But the khopesh is the worst sword ever. Period.
I have a total of about 8 years of fencing experience, belive me it works not.

Is that thing really made for fencing thou? I always had the impression that blades like that were to be used more like axes or sickles and the like and not like a proper sword.

Basically what Aquiz said. It was designed to pull away shields for one,but for that an actual axe would be more practical it at least has a wooden hilt so it can be lighter.The main idea behind the design was to make something that overcomes the structural weaknesses of bronze. Namely that it gets bent/deformed and goes dull easily. The curve and heavy weight made it structurally sound and capable of delivering a horrible cut even when dull,but it became overly heavy and unwieldly. The fact that shield designs close in time and space have been very light(made of twigs and cane and such) so something that powerfull could bash them easily. But an axe could do tall this as well, just lighter and cheaper.

Straight and short bronze swords were also designed to be used in large formation, large shield combat, but were much more versatile. They overcame the bronzes weaknesses by being able to stab and thurst. This versatility is very valuable.You can pull away the guys shield with your own or your empty off hand or an axe, but if your sword is crap you are dead. A sluggish weapon like the khopesh left you for dead against a guy with a more agile weapon if your formation started to fall apart and people got a bit of space to move. Not to speak of someone with a spear. You need agility against a spear to quickly get close so you can't be stabbed.

A steel khopesh is naturally better than a bronze one, but its still very heavy for its length and off ballance. Basically it is inferior to every other sword deign that springs to my mind.
Last edited by United Republics of Aralon on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-I admittedly suk at typing.-
Liberal-Social Democrat, I believe a social net is necessary and that income tax above 25% is unethical as is VAT over 20%
unhelpful definition of the year award, by Cowardly Pacifist
Allies: The Mikill-Jarlhold of Ulfr-Reich
Raise awareness of the Mean World Syndrome! Spread the word!https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_world_syndrome
Igitur, qui legis haec lineas, iustus consumpta quinque minutes ut instar sicco contumeliam,ego magnopere respiciunt tibi, fili canis.

Black Hand
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Ulfr-Reich wrote:
Black Hand wrote:gotcha, I'm thinking something in the area of say a 10"/25 cm blade. For this

as for the Other one, I'm probably going to give Black Disciples standard ones.
But the Shadow Teams will need something different. They're covert special force, assassinations and the like. I have no idea what would be a very good, quick kill knife for them, Something less hack and slash but still just as brutal

Alright then, take a gander at the shape and form of the boar-spear. adjust dimensions to suit your needs and presto, assassinating rib-shredding doom.

I'll definitely Do that, likely keep the Blade length, and Give it a more Dagger like Handle. It'll Be abrutal Motherfucker of a knife.
Purpelia wrote:
Black Hand wrote:gotcha, I'm thinking something in the area of say a 10"/25 cm blade. For this

as for the Other one, I'm probably going to give Black Disciples standard ones.
But the Shadow Teams will need something different. They're covert special force, assassinations and the like. I have no idea what would be a very good, quick kill knife for them, Something less hack and slash but still just as brutal

A very short retractable blade made out of steel infused with tiberium. Retractable not so that they can hide it, but so that they can be protected from accidentally stabbing them self. So dangerous it must be.

I like the Tiberium part, but as for retractable blade..... Retraction=Weakness
Besides that's what sheaths are for.
Last edited by Black Hand on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
I live in a World all my own.
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Sight rib? Like a barbecue?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

San-Silvacian wrote:Nothing says I love you like a fine Belgian firearm.

Bezombia wrote: "glorious discharge"

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:
Basically, I mentioned that you'll want lead, not incendiary compound, surrounding the core in order to prevent the round from igniting in the barrel.

Really? But all the crossections of API rounds have it like that. Or is there actually a thin jacket of lead around the core that I am not seeing here?
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/ammo_c ... I_APT1.jpg

Also I do have a bit more burny stuff so that my core does not actually touch the jacket. Is that a problem too?
I based my load off the 2nd from the left in that picture.

There's either a thin layer of lead between the core and the jacket, or the jacket is thicker in locations where engraving is going to take place (the second from the left and first on the left, respectively).

The incendiary composition between the jacket and the core in a location when engraving will take place is exactly what's wrong with your round.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Lysandran Dynasty
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lysandran Dynasty » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:26 pm

New Tsavon wrote:
Lysandran Dynasty wrote:
We talking about blades, now?

-Analise, Maiden of Fire and Blade

Fuck yo curvy ass swords.

What a crude bayonet. I would feel bad about giving it to a male conscript, let alone any real warrior. My own bayonet is far more refined, and may be used in the off-hand in a swordfight.

Fordorsia wrote:That's not a sword.

(Image)

This, is a sword.

An amusing toy. I hope you don't expect anyone to fight with it.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:29 pm

The extent of my knowledge on how dissasembling firearms actually works comes from Hichkok45 videos...
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Bezombia wrote:The extent of my knowledge on how dissasembling firearms actually works comes from Hichkok45 videos...

Well..... I guess that's not terrible.
I know how to take out every single piece of My rifle, Everything from the firing pin to the Magazine tension spring. Granted the Mosin is pretty damn simple.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

Ulfr-Reich
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Lysandran Dynasty wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:Fuck yo curvy ass swords.

([url=snip]Image[/url])

What a crude bayonet. I would feel bad about giving it to a male conscript, let alone any real warrior. My own bayonet is far more refined, and may be used in the off-hand in a swordfight.

[img]snip[/img]

Fordorsia wrote:That's not a sword.

([url=snip[/url])

This, is a sword.

An amusing toy. I hope you don't expect anyone to fight with it.

Swords ey? Allow me to re-introduce the M1909 Haersmann Bajonett.

Info:
Deemed a far more lethal "companion" or even "upgrade" in some circumstances over the M1900 infantry bayonet due to a remarkably firm, sturdy and to be rather frank devastating shape. Being based off-of the entire principal of the original highly effective "semi broken back" pattern of seax. As such, it has gained much notoriety due to it's type of created wound, acting like a broadsword with a razor sharp point; which, in it's own right, is highly uncharacteristic of a blade capable of being deemed as a "bayonet" in the eyes of foreign, associated and allied militaries.

Blade Length: 2 3/4ft

Blade Width: [Edge to Tang: 3 2/4"] [Blade Thickness: 4/8"]

Type: Full Tang - Sword Bayonet

Blade Material: Folded Alloy Steel

Edge Type: Scandi

Guard Material: Titanium-Steel Alloy

Grip Panel Material: Iron Pulp Oak

Grip Length: 7 1/4 Inches

And the M1902 Veðr-Korp Langseax:

info:
Deemed a "rite of passage" amongst members of the Veðr-Korp (The dedicated assault and motorized infantry division of the Ulfranes Haer). After returning from either specialized training (three years after completing four-to-six years of standard) or being shifted from the Varanger Korp; the blade presented above is given to those who pass the nightmarish trials to become a Veðrsoldate. The Veðr Korp can in fact trace it's history back to the Original Montertesoldate Korp (dragoons). When the traditional Ulfran Langseax was made into a cavalryman's weapons (Montertesoldate Korp) right alongside a lever action rifle (firing .485 Lengi I might add), the resurrection/more-common-use of a tried and true tool from the collective Ulfran past came to bear. The Ulfran Langseax has always been famous for it's sheer brutal cleaving power, and pattern-welded durability, it was a unique discovery on the behalf of the first "Buðlungr-Ryttere" (King's Riders, equivalent of pseudo-knightly militarized hussars) that the traditional Ulfran Langseax was incredibly practical from the back of a destrier. The ideals of said organization, and their practices in general stuck with them, as their job-description slowly changed from mounted Huscarls with longbows to Cuirassiers, then dragoons, and finally, the glorious Veðr-Korp. The men behind the blade stay the same, the job barely changes, but the uniforms the blade skewers have. Overall, the weapon is viewed as both a piece of ceremonial kit, a true-blue "warsword", and a status symbol to the Veðrsoldate using it.

Total Length(pommel to point): 4 1/2 feet

Material: Pattern-welded alloy steel

Edge Style: "Scandi"

Honestly though, Tsavon's bayonets are mass-produced in the hundreds of thousands and just treated like a pike, often broken, modified and discarded after the fact (the hilts and guards are often salvaged though).
Last edited by Ulfr-Reich on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asatruar (bloody-well proud of it) | Ethnogeography & Migratory Anthropology/Linguistics Researcher (In my spare time) | Actual Jarlist| And yes, I am vehemently anti-pony/brony | Borderline FanT/NightmareT, very Norse/Proto-Germanic/Gothic| Æþalatsheim = http://www.nationstates.net/nation=aethal.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Lysandran Dynasty wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:Fuck yo curvy ass swords.

(Image)

What an amusing blade. It would look great on a wall somewhere. However, I would only carry such a thing in to battle if no other option was available, and only then. It seems you dirty foreigners have no respect for proper bayonet design, nor tactics, it seems, for that "bayonet" would be a pain to use as a pike.
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

United states of brazilian nations
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United states of brazilian nations » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:04 pm

hey folks, i finished a pistol-shottie Uflr requested me: http://fav.me/d6ojvgi

tell me what you think about it. unfortunately i won't be able to reply today; tomorrow, maybe.
Puzikas wrote:
Graznovia wrote:Why does the dude look like Putin?
Did you knot know? There is no Russian people, only clones of Putin. We don't get names, just Numbers.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Kouralia wrote:AKA FiSH and CHiPS(Fighting in Someone's House and Causing Havoc in Public Spaces):p

Fordorsia wrote:Breaking news: The estimated leading cause of death is dying.
Imperializt Russia wrote:Well what it is, is an 18.5mm piece of hollow metal that, through witchcraft and evil, becomes significantly larger than 18.5mm.
Puzikas wrote:fuck you for drawing a good looking bulpup AK.
Puzikas wrote:USBN has a sensor that triggers after anything vaguely Brazilian is mentioned.
For HUE!

Wilfordium
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilfordium » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Here are our Weapons.

Image Flanged mace.

Image Swords.

Image Infantry Spear.

Image Glaive.

Image Cavalry lance.

Image Foot archers bow.

Image Horse archers bow.
The official Wilford Brimley of Nationstates.
Also a Past Tech nation.

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:Using any sort of piston, it would be visible through the vents.

Right... And if I decided to go back in my decision to use short stroke, and instead stick with DGI?
Which reminds me, how does the piston act on the carrier?

... Prayer.

Also, how do you dissemble the rifle?

See above.

In fairness though, I think I've taken care of the dissembly issues in the latest update.

Ulfr!
Talk to me about potential armour piercing short sword/bayonets!
Last edited by The Archangel Conglomerate on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:29 pm

So Westernized Tanto-blade bayonets exist: http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-450292 ... 7AodwhgA-Q

Wondering how awesome that would be to issue.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:30 pm

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:Ulfr!

I'm not Ulfr, but I'll show you this anyway.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:32 pm

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:Using any sort of piston, it would be visible through the vents.

Right... And if I decided to go back in my decision to use short stroke, and instead stick with DGI?
Which reminds me, how does the piston act on the carrier?

... Prayer.

Also, how do you dissemble the rifle?

See above.

In fairness though, I think I've taken care of the dissembly issues in the latest update.

Ulfr!

Then you'd still need to show the gas tube.

With your present version of the rifle, how do you access the trigger group/mag well/rear end of the rifle for cleaning and inspection?
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Alimeria-
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alimeria- » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

We're talking about sword bayonets?

Have my small-scale bayonet Image

And a link to a low quality picture of the knife that inspired it.
Steampunk Norsemen using bullpup rifles ftw

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Tule wrote:I'm not Ulfr, but I'll show you this anyway.

Nice.

Aqizithiuda wrote:Then you'd still need to show the gas tube.

Right...

With your present version of the rifle, how do you access the trigger group/mag well/rear end of the rifle for cleaning and inspection?

To access the trigger group you would remove the rear sling pin and buttplate.
To access the magazine... thing, you would remove the two pins, and either pull everything out from the bottom, or pull everything out from the top. It should be able to stay together as one unit... I think.

Seem semi-legit?
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

Hodori
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 12, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hodori » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:44 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:So Westernized Tanto-blade bayonets exist: http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-450292 ... 7AodwhgA-Q

Wondering how awesome that would be to issue.

You be the judge.
Motorsports
NSSCRA 2, WGPC 10

As Hodori Motorsports
HGTC/FH/HRC (Domestic)
NSCS 1 - 4
NSSCRA 3 - 5
WGPC 13, 14
Hosting: NSFC 1 NSFC 2

Other Events
NS X-Games I
Transnapastain wrote:I aim to be king meanie one day.
Aqizithiuda wrote:
Benomia wrote:
I will cut you, bitch.
<Trans|Work> ALL HAIL TRAINS, RIGHTFUL OWNER OF TF
<Trans|Work> Thats right
<Trans|Work> Trains
<Trans|Work> ....god damnit
<Trans|Work> #plottwit
<Trans|Work> Thats right
<Trans|Work> plottwit
Demonym: Hodoran
Trigramme: HDR
Timezone: AOTC+11
Lauren Ashburton wrote:Damn it, why is socialising so hard? What do I do? Aaargh!
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
I Took The Oath: UDL
All hail Cars!

More Frequently Active as Hodori Motorsports

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Current Model for the New Assassins/ commando Knife. It's not really shaded yet. only a little bit.
the Reason for the green tinge is Tiberium added during the forging process. This makes the knives extremely difficult to manufacture, restricting their use to elite units.

Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Black Hand wrote:Current Model for the New Assassins/ commando Knife. It's not really shaded yet. only a little bit.
the Reason for the green tinge is Tiberium added during the forging process. This makes the knives extremely difficult to manufacture, restricting their use to elite units.

(Image)

The squiggly bit looks silly in my opinion. Past that though, I quite like overall shape.
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:52 pm

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:
Black Hand wrote:Current Model for the New Assassins/ commando Knife. It's not really shaded yet. only a little bit.

(Image)

The squiggly bit looks silly in my opinion. Past that though, I quite like overall shape.

I can understand that, But at the same time it's supposed to give you a better grip, I can attest to the benefits of a grip Like that on a single edged knife not sure about a double edged. And it would have looked boring with a straight grip.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:01 pm

(Image)

Seems too thin, hard to hold.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

German-Spanish Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby German-Spanish Empire » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:07 pm

The most common weapon used in the GSE Armed forces is the Heckler and Koch while the secondary is the .44 Revolver. Our infantrymen look like This.

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Bezombia wrote:

(Image)

Seems too thin, hard to hold.

It's a dagger for stabbing... not hack and slash.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:12 pm

No the grip looks too thin, not the blade.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information