NATION

PASSWORD

Main Military Weapon of Your Country: Part 12

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I'd recommend short stroke piston tbh. A good compromise between reliability and recoil. If I were to name my top 3 types of action for a service rifle, they'd be:

1. Short stroke piston
2. Long stroke piston
3. Direct impingement

EDIT: The number of top page posts I'm getting is hilarious :p

Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Bhelyant
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bhelyant » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Premislyd wrote:Direct impingment, tilting breechblock

best action ever.

Would you mind quantifying why a tilting lock is best? :)
unless you were being sarcastic >.<

post relevant

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I'd recommend short stroke piston tbh. A good compromise between reliability and recoil. If I were to name my top 3 types of action for a service rifle, they'd be:

1. Short stroke piston
2. Long stroke piston
3. Direct impingement

1. Blowback (any form)
2. Long Stroke
3. Short Stroke

There's really only four or five options.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:Case weight definitely seems off. Does the projectile weight include the weight of the sabot?

I did a steel disk, 7.5x7mm I think...

Does 3.5g sound better?

No sabot this time. I was thinking about it (and I may still).

Yes. I just finished calculating that 5.7x28mm brass will weigh roughly 3.9 grams

Ah, so it's just a plain microcaliber round?

Phoenix2012 wrote:right now, it just has a simplified action. I'm thinking about using something other than the rotating bolt, which, as I understand, is quite hard and costly to manufacture. I'm also using a 500mm barrel for the normal battle rifle, a 405mm for carbine, and a 590mm for marksman. Also added rails on top, bottom and sides, and added a forward assist and a HK G3 charging mechanism. So, no it isn't a FAL, but it's based on one. I'm just going to call it a IBR (Infantry Battle Rifle) for now.

Rotating bolts are quite simple to make if you do it right (eg: the T2 Mk5's bolt).

Puzikas wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:snip

See the edit :P

I posted before the edit, so I still say you were wrong :p .

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I'd recommend short stroke piston tbh. A good compromise between reliability and recoil. If I were to name my top 3 types of action for a service rifle, they'd be:

1. Short stroke piston
2. Long stroke piston
3. Direct impingement

My personal opinion:

1) Long stroke
2) DI
3) Short stroke
Last edited by Aqizithiuda on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Bezombia wrote:

1. Short stroke piston
2. Long stroke piston
3. Direct impingement

1. Blowback (any form)
2. Long Stroke
3. Short Stroke

There are a lot of bells and whistles about gas operation compared to blowback imo. For example, RPM tuning and shutoff for low powered rounds or long range fire.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Bhelyant wrote:
Premislyd wrote:Direct impingment, tilting breechblock

best action ever.

Would you mind quantifying why a tilting lock is best? :)

Ljungman and FAL used it
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:I did a steel disk, 7.5x7mm I think...

Does 3.5g sound better?

No sabot this time. I was thinking about it (and I may still).

Yes. I just finished calculating that 5.7x28mm brass will weigh roughly 3.9 grams

Phoenix2012 wrote:right now, it just has a simplified action. I'm thinking about using something other than the rotating bolt, which, as I understand, is quite hard and costly to manufacture. I'm also using a 500mm barrel for the normal battle rifle, a 405mm for carbine, and a 590mm for marksman. Also added rails on top, bottom and sides, and added a forward assist and a HK G3 charging mechanism. So, no it isn't a FAL, but it's based on one. I'm just going to call it a IBR (Infantry Battle Rifle) for now.

Rotating bolts are quite simple to make if you do it right (eg: the T2 Mk5's bolt).

Puzikas wrote:
See the edit :P

I posted before the edit, so I still say you were wrong :p .

1. Short stroke piston
2. Long stroke piston
3. Direct impingement

My personal opinion:

1) Long stroke
2) DI
3) Short stroke

Why do people hate short stroke so much :lol:

I virtually see no benefits with DI other than recoil. Reliability is piss poor.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I virtually see no benefits with DI other than recoil. Reliability is piss poor.

Except it isn't. Maybe if you would, gee I don't know, research, the operating system (long shot, but eh, worth a shot) you'd find that it's actually pretty reliable.
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Obviously the best action to use is whatever the FordFAL uses, and that is a secret because I don't even know what it uses. It's secrets are more lost than someone who isn't from Ulfheim trying to explore Ulfheim.

Words can't describe how much I love the Mk.8 with wooden furniture.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Bhelyant
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bhelyant » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Premislyd wrote:
Ljungman and FAL used it

So a couple examples, but not really any quantifiable advantage?

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
I virtually see no benefits with DI other than recoil. Reliability is piss poor.

The Mas-49 and Hakim that would like to have a word with you. >:(

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Bhelyant wrote:
Premislyd wrote:
Ljungman and FAL used it

Maybe if you would use up your own time to read up on it instead of making somebody explain something that's easily accessible (this is the internet after all), you could learn yourself why.

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:Yes. I just finished calculating that 5.7x28mm brass will weigh roughly 3.9 grams

Steel is heavier, or lighter than brass?
IIRC the metel is heavier, but the cases are lighter...

For now, yeah. It was meant to be more of my take on the 4.6mm MKR. It accidentally ended up largely being a rip.
I may neck it up to 7mm for saboting's sake for a FUTURSOLDIER20XX project, but I'm happy with the performance for now.
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:I virtually see no benefits with DI other than recoil. Reliability is piss poor.

Except it isn't. Maybe if you would, gee I don't know, research, the operating system (long shot, but eh, worth a shot) you'd find that it's actually pretty reliable.

Comrade,

Can you ride on M16 with tank, drag through sand and stick in mud pool, then pull out and fire? No comrade, you cannot, because M16 is pig dog capitalist, Western gun of shit.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Bezombia wrote:
1. Blowback (any form)
2. Long Stroke
3. Short Stroke

There are a lot of bells and whistles about gas operation compared to blowback imo. For example, RPM tuning and shutoff for low powered rounds or long range fire.

Gas operation needs a shutoff valve just to match blowback.
Do you know why the valve is present? It's there to stop the tapping of gasses that detract from performance. Blowback doesn't tap gasses, and thus always has the long range fire capabilities a similar gas would have when shut off.
Also, blowbacks gain more of a benefit from free-floating barrels, and are thus inherently more accurate.
Also G3
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

Comrade,

Can you ride on M16 with tank, drag through sand and stick in mud pool, then pull out and fire? No comrade, you cannot, because M16 is pig dog capitalist, Western gun of shit.

Except you can.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:14 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Why do people hate short stroke so much :lol:

*mutters under his breath and curses the gods for allowing internet misinformation*

DI is perfectly reliable when used with hot, clean burning propellants. Some of the most reliable service rifles in the world have used DI without a hitch, and even the original Dutch msde AR-10 was known for being a damn reliable gun in harsh conditions.

DI offers a reduction in weight and recoil, as well as a slight increase in theoretical accuracy.

Now, while there is absolutely nothing wrong with short stroke weapons, and while there are several highly reliable short stroke designs out there, my personal opinion is that if I'm not going with a slight increase in reliability, I should reduce weight, recoil and mechanical complexity, hence going straight to DI.

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:Yes. I just finished calculating that 5.7x28mm brass will weigh roughly 3.9 grams

Steel is heavier, or lighter than brass?
IIRC the metel is heavier, but the cases are lighter...

For now, yeah. It was meant to be more of my take on the 4.6mm MKR. It accidentally ended up largely being a rip.
I may neck it up to 7mm for saboting's sake for a FUTURSOLDIER20XX project, but I'm happy with the performance for now.

Steel is lighter.

Now I'm unsure of how accurate those performance results are. Remember, the MKR had a lighter bullet and another 100mm of barrel length over your rifle.

Bezombia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Do you know why the valve is present? It's there to stop the tapping of gasses that detract from performance. Blowback doesn't tap gasses, and thus always has the long range fire capabilities a similar gas would have when shut off.
Also, blowbacks gain more of a benefit from free-floating barrels, and are thus inherently more accurate.
Also G3

Delayed blowback rifles can't be adjusted for harsh environments, have harsh extraction and, I believe, often have sharper recoil.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Premislyd wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Comrade,

Except you can.

Um. No. The gas tube would just get filled with shit and jam.

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:19 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:Except you can.

Lolwut
Kouralia:

Bhelyant
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bhelyant » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Premislyd wrote:
Bhelyant wrote:

Maybe if you would use up your own time to read up on it instead of making somebody explain something that's easily accessible (this is the internet after all), you could learn yourself why.

Lol, what the hell did I do wrong now? Damn. All I did was ask a question.

I have previously looked it up, and the only places I had found discussing the merits of rotating bolts vs. tilting bolts were on forums by other users, and one of the threads was on a website for white supremacists so I had elected not to put much merit into it. Anyways, the places I've looked at said that a rotating bolt will allow a system to be lighter, recoil less, and allow the firearm to be more accurate by having more consistent bolt lock up throughout the firearms service life. All I did was ask for some sort of clarification on why a tilting bolt is better when everything I've read has argued otherwise. -.-

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:29 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

Comrade,

dem mad hacks
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Kouralia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Lolwut

Well, good job producing what appears to be a commercial for a custom / aftermarket DI rifle that has jammed or misfired and had to be cleaned, how many times now?

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:34 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Kouralia wrote:Lolwut

Well, good job producing what appears to be a commercial for a custom / aftermarket DI rifle that has jammed or misfired and had to be cleaned, how many times now?

Except it wasn't.

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:35 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Kouralia wrote:Lolwut

Well, good job producing no evidence whatsoever to support your point.

Are you honestly trying to say that what you just watched was some kind of 'standard shit' the AK would sail through and then laugh at, comparatively to the DD rifle?
Last edited by Kouralia on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kouralia:

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Bezombia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Also G3

See all that extra gas you obsess about.

IT MAKES NO MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE

Really the round to round variances inherent in large scale ammunition production will make a bigger difference as will the weather and a host of other factors.

Really any advantages of a delayed blowback only come into play in any siognificant way when you are dealing with VERY expensive precision rifles.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:37 pm

The FAL charging mechanism is superior, mostly because it doesn't suck. Well, sort of. It comes down more to the magazines than anything. The FAL's charging handle is non-reciprocating (like the G3 and AR-10), but it also has a bolt-hold-open (like the AR-10). If you're left-handed, the FAL's charging handle is easier to bring back and release (rotate, pull, release: kind of like AK) rather than trying to reach up by your face, unshouldering the weapon (or at the very least, no longer aiming down sights) to recharge manually.

There really isn't anything wrong with the FAL as-is as far as battle rifles goes. You don't really need to change anything about it other than maybe making the magazine release and magazine well "wing a bit more ambidextrous-friendly.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

Comrade,

Yes.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Premislyd wrote:Except you can.

The only way the gas tube would get jammed is if you literally forced mud into the barrel ~6" deep which would be an amazing feat itself. The AR-15 uses a sealed action. Only time dirt will enter the chamber area/internals is when you lock the bolt open, then thrust fistfulls of mud into the receiver itself. As San pointed out, it also has a dust cover that opens itself upon firing. You'll also notice that the bolt-carrier itself just about forms a perfect seal between the receiver walls, so any dirt on it is likely going to just be kicked out of the way and not enter the rifle in any substantial amount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwoZ6SS_pY

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:For situations where you need to break a window and break a window only, while minimizing as much as possible the risk of hitting a person behind it, ricochet, etc. what would you use?

The police.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information