NATION

PASSWORD

Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook, Embassies, and Consulates

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Ponderosa
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Anarchy

Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook, Embassies, and Consulates

Postby Ponderosa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Ponderosa’s Guide to a Wiki Style Factbook

How often have you come across a bloggy factbook, consisting of multiple articles with only a few sentences each? A wiki-style factbook allows you to condense a lot of information in only one factbook, and looks much more professional.

Wiki style factbooks are inspired from Wikipedia articles and other wikias. In this guide, I will show you how to create an article that is highly informative, organized, and visually appealing.

Disclaimer: This guide is designed for the gameside factbooks, found on your nation page. Some codes and templates do not work well on forumside factbooks, and will not work at all on sites like IIWiki. If you have any questions, please submit them in the thread here. I prefer not to receive telegrams with questions.

Contents

Sidebar
This is a major part of a wiki factbook. It provides quick facts and statistics about your nation.
What to Include
    - Nation name and pretitle
    - Flag
    - Motto
    - Anthem Title
    - Small map or orthographic showing where your nation is located (no details!)
    - Capital and Largest City
    - Demonym
    - Government (e.g., national leader, legislature, etc)
    - Geographic Statistics (land area, water percentage, etc)
    - GDP
    - And more. See my factbook or Wikipedia entries to draw inspiration.

How to make it
The sidebar will be the very first thing in your factbook code. It will involve the use of [box] and [floatright] tags.
1) Put a [box] and a [floatright] tag at the beginning of the code.
2) Start filling in information! Use small images for your flag and orthographic, and divide each section with underscores or {hr} tags.
3) Finish the sidebar with the appropriate end tags.

Sidebar Template
Code: Select all
[floatright][box][center][b]The PRETITLE of NATION[/b]
[hr]

INSERT FLAG HERE
[b]Flag[/b]
[hr]

[b]Motto: [/b]
[hr]

NSERT SMALL MAP OR ORTHOGRAPHIC
[b]Location[/b]
[hr][/center]

[b]Population:[/b]
[b]-Density:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Capital:[/b]
[b]Largest City:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Official Language:[/b]
[hr]
[b]National Language:[/b]
[hr]
[b]Demonym:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Government:[/b]
- President:
- Vice President:
- Speaker of the House:
- Chief Justice:
[hr]

[b]Legislature[/b]:
- Upper House:
-Lower House:
[hr]

[b]Establishment:[/b] from (INSERT OTHER NATION)
Independence: INSERT FOUNDING DATE
[hr]

[b]Land Area:[/b] mile²
                          km²
Water Area: km²
Water %:
[hr]

[b]Elevation[/b]
Highest Point:
Lowest Point:
[hr]

[b]GDP (nominal):[/b]
[b]GDP (nominal) per capita:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Human Development Index (NS Version):[/b]
[hr]

[b]Currency:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Time Zone:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Drives on the:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Calling code:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Internet TLD:[/b]

[/box][/floatright]

Title and Introduction
The title of your factbook is automatically set across the top of the page. There is no way to remove it. If you’d like a second, more colorful title, feel free to add it.

Your introduction section is basically a summary of your nation. The first paragraph is typically a description of where your nation is located, which nations border it, and a list of territories. The second paragraph (often merged with the first) is a brief description of your nation’s geography, usually including land area and population.

The next few paragraphs are often a summary of your nation’s history. If you’re like me and can’t be bothered to write a very detailed history of your nation, leave it all for the body.

The final paragraph of your introduction describes your nation’s position in the present day. It is essentially a ego-rub that brags about your nation’s economic status, positions of world power, and freedoms. If you’d like, you could otherwise use this space to talk about how dirt-poor your nation is. It doesn't matter. Nobody’s going to read it anyway.

Remember, leave details to the body paragraphs!

Table of Contents
If you want a bit of a challenge, you can add a table of contents to your factbook. This typically comes after your introduction. This involves the use of [anchor] and [url] tags.

1) Write your Table of Contents without any BB code. Just a list format.
2) Put [box] and [floatleft] tags at the beginning of the list, and put the necessary / tags at the end of the list.
3) Publish your factbook and obtain the url (or internet address).
4) Go back to the editing page. Put [url]tags at the beginning of each item, and paste the url into the tag.
5) Add a hashtag and some other word that will identify the part of the wiki that the table of contents will link to. The code for your table of contents should look something like this:

[box][floatleft][b][center]Contents[/center][/b]
[url=http://www.nationstates.net/nation=ponderosa/detail=factbook/id=97589#Ety]1 Etymology[/url]
[url=http://www.nationstates.net/nation=ponderosa/detail=factbook/id=97589#Hist]2 History[/url]
[url=http://www.nationstates.net/nation=ponderosa/detail=factbook/id=97589#Geo]3 Geography[/url]
[/box][/floatleft]

6) Go to each section of your factbook and add [anchor] tags to each section’s title. [anchor=] will allow you to link each section to the table of contents. For example, to link to the table of contents above, use the code below.

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Ety][/anchor]Etymology[/size][/u][/b]
[b][u][size=150][anchor=Hist][/anchor]History[/size][/u][/b]
[b][u][size=150][anchor=Geo][/anchor]Geography[/size][/u][/b]

Body
This is going to be the meat of your factbook, where all the tiny details you excluded above will now be recorded. If you have even more in-depth articles, you can add an indented link to your “main article” like so:

[list][i][url=http://www.nationstates.net/nation=ponderosa/detail=factbook/id=97593]Main Article: Religion and Religious Policy in Ponderosa[/url][/i][/list]

Becomes:

The body can really have whatever you want in it. Some popular sections include, in order:

Etymology - This is the origin of your country's name! This section will probably be one of your shortest. Don't forget to add your demonym at the bottom.

History - This will be one of your longest sections. No story is complete unless you start here, but a good place to start might be with the prehistoric tribes in your country's geographic area. Maybe your country exists in a real world place (Ponderosa, for example, is an alternative to what is really the Southwestern US) in which case your history may be largely drawn from real-world history. Or, you might get even more creative, inventing a country in the far future or even in another world entirely! It's all up to you, but no factbook is complete without the History section. Go all out here!

Geography This is a mid-sized section, but it should be pretty easy - especially if your country is located on Earth. Start out with some basic facts about land and water area, which part of the world your country is located, and a short list of its overseas territories and whatnot. Then, go into more depth about all the various regions (the west is dominated by Mediterranean coastline, the north is mostly desert, etc). If you want, include some pictures - a satellite image, perhaps, or photos of various plants and animals. Did I mention that? Climate and wildlife information are good sub-sections for this section.

Demographics - All about people. Begin with some information about population size and estimated growth rates, including immigration effects. Then, add short paragraphs about the composition of your population: race, religion, language, sexual orientation, etc. If you have information about population density and largest cities, it should also go here. Be sure to check the largest cities section of this guide!

Government - A description of your government system. This includes what it is ("The Federation of Trapjackistan is a theocratic dictatorship...") followed by sections on your political divisons, election system, foreign relations, and taxation.

Military - This is often a subsection of your government section. This is often where factbook writers make a huge mistake - they forget that the military section should be a brief overview. Nothing is more annoying then getting a telegram asking me to look at a factbook, only to find that my template has been used as little more than dressing around a main course of enormous photos of military hardware. If you must include a picture, limit yourself to one. Also include information about military size, major divisions (like Air Force or Army, not detailed information about the Twelfth Stormtrooper Platoon ffs), and budget.

Economy - A mid-sized section about your economy. Some questions that should be answered: What economic system does your country use? What's your GDP, and how fast is it growing? Is your country rich or poor? How big is the private sector compared to the public sector? What products do you export, and who do you trade with? Income, poverty, and homelessness are also good sections to have here.

There's lots more you can include. Sections on education, infrastructure, health, science and technology, and culture are good additions to have here. Just have fun with it, and don't feel obligated to write about how the roads are built if you don't want to.

Largest Cities
I have recieved a lot of personal messages about my lovely little city chart, showing off my top ten cities. This was a relatively recent addition to my factbook, and was thus absent from the guide. I will attempt to resolve that problem now.
This part of the factbook usually belongs as a subcategory of your Demographics section. If you don't have one of those, make one. Then, make a table. Start with a [table] tag, then begin each row with a [tr] tag. Use the [td] tag for each new column. The columns are where you'll put your data. Finish each column with a {/td} tag after each column, {/tr} at the end of each row, and {/table} at the end of the whole table. If that was too confusing, a helpful template is included below.
[u][b][anchor=City][/anchor]Largest Cities[/b][/u]
[table][tr][td]Rank[/td][td]City[/td][td]Metro area population[/td][td]State[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1[/td][td]CITY#1[/td][td]CITY1POPULATION[/td][td]CITY1STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2[/td][td]CITY2[/td][td]CITY2POPULATION[/td][td]CITY2STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3[/td][td]CITY3[/td][td]CITY3POPULATION[/td][td]CITY3STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4[/td][td]CITY4[/td][td]CITY4POPULATION[/td][td]CITY4STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]5[/td][td]CITY5[/td][td]CITY5POPULATION[/td][td]CITY5STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]6[/td][td]CITY6[/td][td]CITY6POPULATION[/td][td]CITY6STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]7[/td][td]CITY7[/td][td]CITY7POPULATION[/td][td]CITY7STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]8[/td][td]CITY8[/td][td]CITY8POPULATION[/td][td]CITY8STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]9[/td][td]CITY9[/td][td]CITY9POPULATION[/td][td]CITY9STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]10[/td][td]CITY10[/td][td]CITY10POPULATION[/td][td]CITY10STATE[/td][/tr][/table]

Images
I've received several questions on how to post images in your factbook, and I will attempt to answer them. You will need to upload your images to an image-sharing site, such as Photobucket, Tinypic, or Imgur. For the purposes of this guide, I will demonstrate how to use Imgur to upload images.

1) Go to [url=imgur.com].
2) Under the "Upload images" header, you will see a link that says "Computer." Click on that.
3) A window will open, allowing you to search for and select your file from your computer. Select your file, and click "Open."
4) After uploading the image, you will arrive at a new page on which your image is in the center. If you like the image, copy the code under the heading "BBCode (message boards & forums)."
5) Paste the code into your factbook.

Now you have your image! However, you may not like the size. Luckily, back on step 4, there is a link in the upper-right that says "Edit image." After clicking that, you can resize your image using the box in the upper-right. Make sure the proportions are locked! Once you've set the image to the preferred size, click "Apply", then "Save."

By the way, the answer to any image question I get (how to make maps, orthographics, flags, whatever) is always just Microsoft Paint. Edit existing images, or make one from scratch. I don't have any special tricks for design, which is why all my designs are very minimalist.

Template Source Code
As part of this guide, I have included the source code for a wiki factbook template. If you don’t understand this guide, or just don’t want to read it, you can simply copy/paste this template and fill in the information.
[floatright][box][center][b]The PRETITLE of NATION[/b]
[hr]

INSERT FLAG HERE
[b]Flag[/b]
[hr]

[b]Motto: [/b]
[hr]

NSERT SMALL MAP OR ORTHOGRAPHIC
[b]Location[/b]
[hr][/center]

[b]Population:[/b]
[b]-Density:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Capital:[/b]
[b]Largest City:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Official Language:[/b]
[hr]
[b]National Language:[/b]
[hr]
[b]Demonym:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Government:[/b]
- President:
- Vice President:
- Speaker of the House:
- Chief Justice:
[hr]

[b]Legislature[/b]:
- Upper House:
-Lower House:
[hr]

[b]Establishment:[/b] from (INSERT OTHER NATION)
Independence: INSERT FOUNDING DATE
[hr]

[b]Land Area:[/b] mile²
                          km²
Water Area: km²
Water %:
[hr]

[b]Elevation[/b]
Highest Point:
Lowest Point:
[hr]

[hr]

[b]Human Development Index (NS Version):[/b]
[hr]

[hr]

[b]Time Zone:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Drives on the:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Calling code:[/b]
[hr]

[b]Internet TLD:[/b]

[/box][/floatright]
[size=200][b]NATION NAME[/size][/b]
[hr]

The PRETITLE of NATION commonly called NATION, is a GOVERNMENT TYPE in LOCATION. It is bordered on the north by OTHER-NATION, on the south by OTHER-NATION, by the east by OTHER-NATION and on the west by OTHER-NATION. NATION covers LAND AREA square kilometers and has has an estimated population of POPULATION. NATION comprises of NUMBER SUBDIVISIONS and NUMBER TERRITORIES.

DESCRIPTION OF YOUR NATION’S ROLE IN THE WORLD

[floatleft][box][center]Contents[/center]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Ety]1 Etymology[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Hist]2 History[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Geo]3 Geography[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Demo]4 Demographics[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Pop]4.1 Population[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Lan]4.2 Language[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Reli]4.3 Race[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#City]4.4 Largest Cities[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Govt]5 Government[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#FRM]5.1 Foreign Relations and Military[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Econ]6 Economy[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Cult]7 Culture[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Infra]8 Infrastructure[/url]
[url=INSERT-FACTBOOK-URL#Energy]8.1 Energy[/url]
[/box][/floatleft]

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Ety]Etymology[/anchor][/b][/u][/size]

DESCRIBE ORIGIN OF NATION NAME

The standard way to refer to a citizen of NATION is as a "DEMONYM."

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Hist]History[/anchor][/b][/u][/size]

DESCRIBE HISTORY

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Geo]Geography[/anchor][/b][/u][/size]

DESCRIBE GEOGRAPHY

DESCRIBE CLIMATE

DESCRIBE ENVIRONMENT

INSERT MAP

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Demo]Demographics[/anchor][/b][/u][/size]

[b][u][anchor=Pop]Population[/anchor][/b][/u]
DESCRIBE POPULATION

[u][b][anchor=Lan]Language[/anchor][/b][/u]
DESCRIBE LANGUAGE

[u][b][anchor=Reli]Religion[/anchor][/b][/u]

DESCRIBE RELIGION

[u][b][anchor=Race]Race[/anchor][/b][/u]
DESCRIBE RACE

[u][b][anchor=City]Largest Cities[/anchor][/b][/u]
[table][tr][td]Rank[/td][td]City[/td][td]Metro area population[/td][td]State[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1[/td][td]CITY#1[/td][td]CITY1POPULATION[/td][td]CITY1STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2[/td][td]CITY2[/td][td]CITY2POPULATION[/td][td]CITY2STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3[/td][td]CITY3[/td][td]CITY3POPULATION[/td][td]CITY3STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4[/td][td]CITY4[/td][td]CITY4POPULATION[/td][td]CITY4STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]5[/td][td]CITY5[/td][td]CITY5POPULATION[/td][td]CITY5STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]6[/td][td]CITY6[/td][td]CITY6POPULATION[/td][td]CITY6STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]7[/td][td]CITY7[/td][td]CITY7POPULATION[/td][td]CITY7STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]8[/td][td]CITY8[/td][td]CITY8POPULATION[/td][td]CITY8STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]9[/td][td]CITY9[/td][td]CITY9POPULATION[/td][td]CITY9STATE[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]10[/td][td]CITY10[/td][td]CITY10POPULATION[/td][td]CITY10STATE[/td][/tr][/table]

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Govt]Government[/anchor][/b][/u][/size]

DESCRIBE GOVERNMENT

[b][u][anchor=FRM]Foreign Relations and Military[/anchor][/b][/u]

DESCRIBE DIPLOMACY

DESCRIBE MILITARY

[b][u][size=150][anchor=Econ]Economy[/anchor][/b][/u][/size]

[floatright][box]
[center][b][u]Economic Indicators[/b][/u][/center]
[b]Rank:[/b]
[b]Fiscal Year:[/b]
[hr]
[b]Labor Force:[/b]
[b]Unemployment:[/b]
[/floatright][/box]

DESCRIBE ECONOMY

[size=150][b][u][anchor=Cult]Culture[/anchor][/size][/b][/u]

DESCRIBE CULTURE

[size=150][b][u][anchor=Infra]Infrastructure[/anchor][/size][/b][/u]

DESCRIBE INFRASTRUCTURE

[b][u][anchor=Energy]Energy[/anchor][/b][/u]
DESCRIBE ENERGY

Template by [nation=Ponderosa]
Template may be found [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=256878]here[/url].
Last edited by Ponderosa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 24 times in total.
The Free Republic of Ponderosa
National Factbook | Map | Embassy | IIWiki | Wintreath
The Collection Collection | Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook | Captions for Banners!
Political Compass | Gameplay Alignment
Social democrat - Social Libertarian - Agnostic Atheist - INTP - Runner
Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees.
Steve Prefontaine wrote:The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
Christopher Hitchens wrote:Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Examples of Wiki-Style Factbooks

Auralia

Ebsotz

Abatael/Serocia/Venolia (CTE)

Desmendura

Maltropia

Markotovia

Ponderosa

Turkish Federation (CTE)

Saint-Sebastian

Other Useful Threads

A factbook is only one place to find national information, and it's not always the best place. In these threads, you can put bits of national information in large threads where everyone can find it, or discover new information to place in your own factbook.

The FaNI Index: Version 4.0 -- Now Better than Ever!
Since I am obviously stealing Shazbotdom's idea for a list of great threads, he comes first. Shazbotdom has kept an excellent database for links to factbooks and embassy threads, as well as national leaders, capitals, and currencies. This is truly the king of factbook megathreads.

.::The List of National Capitals::.
.::The List of National Leaders::.
Want to find a national leader? Don't know where he lives? No problem! Just stop by Northrop-Grumman's famous threads and check them out! Don't forget to post your info, as well!

International Power Classification Organisation
Afalia may have CTE'd, but his legacy lives on. How do I know Ponderosa is a "middle power"? Afalia said it is! Drop by Smoya's new International Power Classification Organisation, fill out the survey and see where you stack up among the world's great powers. Old thread located here.
Note: this thread has been closed.

.::The List of National Sports::.
Who said sports don't matter? They're an excellent way to fill the culture section of your factbook! Take a look at Kannap's list of national sports and learn what other nations do in their spare time.

The New Guide to Embassies and Consulates
Don't understand why your embassy can't be a giant fortress of doom equipped with machine guns, Apache helicopters, and nuclear weapons? Euro tells you everything you need to know about embassies and foreign relations in his comprehensive guide on embassies! The best part? You don't even need to click the link! It's right here! Just scroll down!
Last edited by Ponderosa on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 21 times in total.
The Collection Collection | Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook | Captions for Banners!
Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees.
Steve Prefontaine wrote:The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
Christopher Hitchens wrote:Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:49 pm

The New Guide to Embassies and Consulates

Originally written by Zinaire

While there is already a guide to embassies, it really doesn't get to the heart of the issue. While it certainly doesn't hurt to have a guide on the basics of setting up an embassy program on NationStates, there are lots of other issues which need to be considered if realism is going to be a goal (and I feel that it always should be).

In NS, there is no convention that governs embassies and such as there is in the real world. This means that none of the things I say here are hard and fast rules, but they are still worth noting.

Throughout this post, I will use "represented nation" to refer to the nation which established the diplomatic mission and "host nation" to refer to the nation in which the mission is located. For instance, if we look at the United States embassy in Mexico, the US is the represented nation and Mexico is the host nation.

I would also like to point out that I am not an expert or even a student of international law or international relations. I'm sure there are those on NS who could add to this guide or otherwise improve it. If you're one of those people, please comment so that I can make this better.

Contents
1 Embassies, Consulates, and the Difference
2 International and Diplomatic Law
2.1 Diplomatic and Consular Immunity
2.2 Extraterritoriality
3 Common Mistakes
3.1 What an Embassy Does and Does Not Need
3.2 As for Consulates...
4 RPing Embassies and Consulates
4.1 Establishing Diplomatic Missions
4.2 An Alternate Approach to Establishing Embassies
4.3 Using Your Diplomatic Missions to RP

Embassies, Consulates, and the Difference

Embassies and consulates are both types of diplomatic missions. Diplomatic missions are a way for governments to communicate with each other and remain in touch with foreign governments, foreign citizens (public diplomacy) and their own citizens abroad.

The embassy in the centerpiece of the diplomatic campaign from one nation to another. By definition, it is located in the capital city or governmental center so if you're currently offering embassies in a variety of cities– stop. Embassies are run by ambassadors, who are the highest-ranking diplomats that your nation will be sending abroad. The ambassador's job, quite simply, is to represent your government's opinions to the host government. Generally, the embassy will also perform consular roles in the capital city.

Technically, there are two kinds of consulates: consulates-general and plain old consulates. In practice, there is no real difference and the terms only serve to distinguish a consulate located in a major city (e.g., LA or New York in the United States) from one located in a less important one. Consulates-general are headed by consuls-general rather than regular consuls. As you may have guessed by now, consulates are located in non-capital cities where there may be high concentrations of foreign nationals. Generally, this means that consulates are located in major tourism cities. This makes sense because the primary role of a consulate is to help out the represented nation's citizens while they are in the host nation. Consulates do things such as issue visas, replace lost passports, assist foreign nationals who have been arrested and promote trade between the represented nation and the host nation.

To summarize, there are two primary, functional difference between an embassy and a consulate: embassies are in the host nation's capital and conduct both traditional diplomacy and consular business while consulates are located in cities other than the capital and primarily promote trade and work with the represented nation's citizens while they are in the host nation.

EDIT: As Van Luxemburg pointed out to me, consulate-generals sometimes act as the centerpiece of the diplomatic campaign when the host nation is particularly insignificant. VL gave the example of the Netherlands' Honorary Consulate in Azerbaijan which replaces an actual embassy.

International and Diplomatic Law

Diplomatic and Consular Immunity

As I mentioned earlier, NS does not have any formal, international agreements that control diplomatic immunity or any other aspect of diplomacy. However, it is still wise to offer diplomatic immunity because 1) it allows you to demand it from other nations and 2) people won't be so nervous about establishing an embassy in your country. It is also wise, of course, to steer clear of embassy programs where diplomatic immunity is not offered because there is nothing stopping the host nation from arresting your ambassador on false charges and holding him indefinitely.

So, we've established that diplomatic immunity is a good thing, but what exactly is it? Let's take a look at US policies on diplomatic immunity...

SubjectMay be arrested or detainedResidence may be entered subject to ordinary proceduresMay be issued traffic ticketMay be subpoenaed as witnessMay be prosecuted
Ambassador or equivalentNoNoYesNoNo
Member of embassy administrative or technical staffNoNoYesNoNo
Member of embassy service staffYesYesYesYesNo for official acts. Otherwise, yes
Career consular officersYes, if for a felony and pursuant to a warrant.YesYesNo, for official acts. Testimony may not be compelled in any case.No for official acts. Otherwise, yes
Honorary consular officersYesYesYesNo, for official acts. Yes, in all other casesNo for official acts. Otherwise, yes
Consular employeesYesYesYesNo, for official acts. Yes, in all other casesNo for official acts. Otherwise, yes

As I said, this table is of real world policies in the United States which are in line with standard diplomatic immunity conventions. Since there are no standards for this kind of stuff in the NS world, this is only a rough guide.

Even though diplomats are protected from prosecution, it doesn't mean that they're totally invincible if they commit a crime. If your nation has a substantial case against someone with diplomatic immunity, you can ask their home state to waive that immunity. If their government does so, you can prosecute them like any other person. If immunity is not waived, you can't take legal action against them but you can declare the offender a persona non grata and expel them from the country. This is not the same as expelling the actual mission.

Extraterritoriality

First off, just say "extraterritoriality" a couple times; it's fun.

Anyway, this is another one of those areas that's pretty sketchy in NS because we have no formalized conventions about how it is handled. In the real world, embassies and consulates are still legally on the soil of the host nation (i.e., they are not the sovereign territory of the native nation) but the host nation's laws generally do not apply. The host nation's authorities also cannot enter the chancery without permission; this sometimes creates sticky situations where a fugitive or refugee will flee into an embassy. How you handle these situations, if they ever arise, is up to you.

Common Mistakes

What an Embassy Needs and Does Not Need

On NS, embassies can get kinda kooky so let's look at some common trouble spots.
1. Embassies need security, but not too much. An ambassador is a pretty important person and you need to protect him the course of his official duties. The embassy as a whole is a symbol of your nation abroad and you probably don't want any misfortune to befall it. To keep your ambassador and the embassy safe, you need security, in the form of armed guards. However, you don't need an army to defend the embassy. A handful of soldiers with fairly light weapons (pistols, submachine guns and sometimes assault rifles) is really all you need to keep troublemakers away from your embassy.

Your security forces should never be used to try to fight off the host nation's authorities because, let's face it, that's a losing battle and it will only land you in a world of hurt. Since you won't be fighting national forces, you sure as hell don't need the kind of weapons that you would use against them. Leave the machine guns, sniper rifles and, for the love of god, the missile launchers at home. They have no place with a diplomatic mission.

2. Embassies need a chancery, but not a fortress. A chancery is the physical space that an embassy (the diplomatic mission) operates out of. In the real world, chanceries come in all shapes in sizes and the international influence of the native nation generally dictates the size of the embassy and of the chancery. While a RL superpower such as the USA may have a walled compound as a chancery, most nations don't have anything nearly as grand. If you've every been to Washington DC, perhaps you've seen the streets of rowhouses that act as chanceries for many smaller nations. In NS, most of us are Trinidad and Tobagos, so it isn't really realistic to assign anything larger than a house to anyone but truly powerful nations, close allies and nations with special security needs.

3. Embassies need a staff, but not an army of bureaucrats. As I said above, the number of personnel assigned to a diplomatic mission is generally linked to the influence of the represented nation. A global power will have a much larger staff than a drop in the bucket. I will take this opportunity to remind you that you (and I) are a drop in the bucket. Unless you anticipate needing to conduct a lot of diplomatic business, you can probably make do with less than a dozen staffers.

4. Embassies need transportation, but not a tank brigade. Remember when I told you to cool it with the heavy weapons? The same thing applies with vehicles. You do not need APCs, IFVs, tanks or even military light armored vehicles (e.g., humvees). Your ambassador is also not your head of state: He doesn't need a Rolls Royce or a stretch limo. In fact, if you do give him a stretch limo, you'll probably induce panic attacks among the security staff.

Armored cars (not the kind that valuables are transported in) are, of course, perfectly permissible. After all, ambassadors are worth protecting and an armored BMW doesn't quite say "I'm a militant wacko" like an APC does. I would recommend a couple nicer sedans or SUVs for use by the ambassador and diplomatic staff and a couple SUVs for use by security personnel. Unless you really don't think it's necessary, these vehicles should probably be armored. If you don't feel that your ambassador would be safe with only these precautions, maybe you should rethink establishing an embassy in that specific country.

Helicopters can be used if you want and if the host nation permits it. Of course, you don't need an attack helicopter or anything really huge like a Chinook. For the most part, this helicopter should serve as another way for your ambassador to travel, so you really just need something from a civilian line.

As for Consulates...

I'm not going to do a whole big list for consulates because, honestly, they're not a big deal. Many consulates are located in office buildings and even colleges and universities. Consular staff will generally drive their own personal cars (but with diplomatic plates) and the security staff will be very small and lightly armed if it exists at all. So, if your consulates are located in gated compounds with a fleet of armored vehicles and are guarded by soldiers with assault rifles, something is seriously wrong.

RPing Embassies and Consulates

Establishing Diplomatic Missions

If you've ever looked through Factbooks and National Information (the fact that you're reading this suggests that you have), you will have noticed the many embassy programs. Now, to be honest, most of this are pretty awful: They might post a couple lines of introduction, then they'll give an application form and when people apply, they'll simply respond with "Approved." This is no way to be conducting diplomacy.

First off, you should say a little bit about your nation just so people know what they're getting into. Secondly (this is important and often overlooked), you need to give your nation's policies on diplomatic immunity and extraterritoriality. If I'm applying for an embassy, I want to know if you can barge into my embassy and arrest my ambassador whenever you want. You also need to discuss your policies on staff (can people send 100 staffers or just ten?), security (are fifty guards with machine guns alright?) and transportation (how would you feel if someone wanted to send a dozen cars and three Blackhawks?). You should also note any local laws or intolerances that may be important.

You should also provide a list or description of the locations available. If you're feeling ambitious, you could map them out. Remember, not every nation needs a giant chancery.

Of course, you also need the actual application form. Here's the form I use for my embassy program. I would appreciate it if you didn't steal it, but I have a feeling that some people will anyway.

National Information:
- Full Name of Nation:
- Government Type:
- Head of State:
- Head of Government:
- Minister of Foreign Affairs or Equivalent:

Ambassadorial Information:
- Ambassador's Name:
- Ambassador's Family (if any):
- Are there any health of security issues local authorities should be alerted of?

Locational Information:

Please place any special requests in the "Second Choice Location" field and justify them in the field directly below it. Please make only realistic requests and be prepared to pay any fees associated with the design, construction or maintenance of special requests.
- First Choice Location:
- Second Choice Location:
- If requesting an embassy in the hills or making a special request, why do you feel this is necessary?

Staff and Equipment Information:

Please remember, limousines, armed/military vehicles, machine guns, explosives, riot gear and armor-piercing weapons are prohibited. We ask that you limit employment based on the guidelines above.
- Diplomatic Staff:
- Security Staff:
- Service Staff:
- Will you be hiring locally?
- Number and Type of Weapons:
- Number and Type of Vehicles:

Miscellaneous:
- Would you like us to establish an embassy in your nation?
- Do you have any special requests?
- Would you like to enter into trade/treaty talks?
- Is there any additional information we should know?
- Please declare any drugs, alcohol, animals or plants you are bringing into the country.

After people have applied and you have accepted them, you should add them to a running list of diplomatic missions in your country.

An Alternate Approach to Establishing Embassies

As Valipac pointed out, you don't necessarily have to RP the establishment of an diplomatic mission in an embassy program thread. In the real world, just about every nation has an embassy with just about every other. While, in the NS world, this may not be possible because there are so many nations, it's certainly safe to assume that you have more embassies both within your nation and abroad than your actual post archive would suggest. To quote Valipac directly, "some nations choose not to participate in embassy exchange threads, but rather assume that all nations have traded embassies with them." If you want to take this approach with some or all nations, it's certainly alright. However, if you want to use a diplomatic mission that you did not RP establishing, you should TG the host nation first just to make sure that they're alright with it.

Using Your Diplomatic Missions to RP

Many people, after establishing an embassy, don't do anything with it. There's nothing horribly wrong with this as, after all, you won't have business to conduct with every nation that you establish an embassy with. However, embassies are more fun if you do something with them. Options range from the nice and elegant (dinner parties, balls) to the more action-packed (hostage situations, terrorist attacks). In any diplomatic crisis, you shouldn't forget your embassies; closing one down is a great way to show that you're displeased.
Last edited by Euroslavia on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:02 pm

This is totally open, if you want to make recommendations, comments, questions, whatever. :)

Novo Wagondia
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Novo Wagondia » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:08 pm

You should get a medal for this- it truly is an act of community service. Thank you very much. :clap:
Last edited by Novo Wagondia on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empire of Wagondia
Map
Prime Ministers
Santa Catalina
"Here man's feet rested at night beside the eagle's feet, in the high gory retreats, and at dawn they trod the rarefied mist with feet of thunder and touched lands and stones until they recognized them in the night"

⚔ ♕ Her Austral and Imperial Majesty, Carmen I ♕ ⚔
△▽△
Modern-day realization of Bolívar's efforts to unify Latin America, with a twist of constitutional monarchy and a dash of overseas empire. The United Fruit Company never existed, and Henry Kissinger retired as an accountant. It all started that one summer, back in Panama, 1826...
▽△▽
Demonym: Wagain

Empire of Andrew

Atvania
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Atvania » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Great resource! I hope this gets stickied.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Nice! This has the official Bob Seal of Approval.

The guide is cool, and your factbook itself is quite impressive. I'm working on my own wiki-style Factbook right now, I'll be using this guide to help write it.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I had been planning on rewriting my factbook, which has seriously needed a facelift since I first wrote it back in 2009, and recently got motivated to do so again. This guide will definitely save me the effort I knew was in front of me, so hat's off to you for taking the time.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Lolomz
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

how this

Postby Lolomz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:31 am

The federalist state of lolomz [center]
[hr]

INSERT FLAG HERE
Flag
[hr]

Motto: in the secularism we trust
[hr]

NSERT SMALL MAP OR ORNOGRAPHIC

Population: 607 million (last census 2013)
-Density: 4 peoples to kilometers
[hr]

Capital: kasa
Largest City: kasa
[hr]

Official Language: english , german ,
[hr]
federal Languages: spanish , italian , hebrew, french , arabic , dutch ,
[hr]
Demonym: lolomzian
[hr]

Government[ : semi -federalist parliamentary democracy /b]
- head of federals :
- head of government :
- governor :
-supreme court :
[hr]

[b]Legislature
:
- cabinet house :
- upper house :
-Lower House:

[hr]

Establishment: from (INSERT germany )
Independence: 1965
[hr]

Land Area: mile²unknown
12.500,000 km²
Water Area: km² unknown
Water %: 35 %
[hr]

Elevation
Highest Point: 6770 kilometers
Lowest Point: sea high
[hr]

GDP (nominal):9,701,845,211,126.67
GDP (nominal) per capita:15,852.69
[hr]

Human Development Index (NS Version): 62
[hr]

Currency: melomonian dollar
[hr]

Time Zone: utc -2
[hr]

Drives on the: left
[hr]

Calling code: + 456
[hr]

Internet TLD: lmz
Last edited by Lolomz on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pro: Suid Afrika, Imperial State of Iran, Rhodesia,Republic Of China ,Seperate but equal policy on the US, Capitalism,whites-only voting rights. Hasmite rule on jordan
Anti: Socialism/Social democracy/etc.. ,Palestine,Saudi Arabia,Islamic Republic Of Iran,end of the aparthied on Suid Afrika(South africa it's ilegtimate nation on my eyes).
RP Data :
Regime : Aparthied
RP name: The White Republic Of Suid Afrika
Prime Minister: Henrik Forward

Aquilinia
Senator

Founded: Feb 05, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Aquilinia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:34 am

Does the code work with the in-game factbook feature or only on the forums? I'd been looking for a guide how to do this for ages, thanks for the simple explanation and the code templates!

Silly me, should have looked at the example, too. Great stuff!
Last edited by Aquilinia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Etat Liber Aquilini - Freistaat Aquilinien - Free State of Aquilinia
Libertas et Unitas - Freiheit und Einheit - Freedom and Unity

Empress: Lucille II of the House of Silvanus Aquili
Consul: Dr. Zoé Metelli

Proud member of Esvanovia
Formerly of Sondria

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Lolomz wrote:-snip-

Mind putting that in a spoiler?

Republic of South Carolina
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of South Carolina » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:29 pm

(OOC: Here is mine, that I am working on. I probably need to re-size the Images.)
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=repu ... /id=154740
Current Conflicts:
None.

Past Conflicts:
Jandarian War.
Dennorn Civil War.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Tagged for reference. I'll probably need this soon enough. Thanks.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Republic of South Carolina wrote:(OOC: Here is mine, that I am working on. I probably need to re-size the Images.)
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=repu ... /id=154740

200-300 pixels is probably the ideal size for pictures if you don't want to fill half the factbook with them.

I've started importing my own factbook from my forumside factbook and my Wikistates and NSWiki articles, with a few tweaks of my own, and it's looking very flashy. Again, my hat is tipped.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Congrats on the sticky Ponderosa!

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the comments everyone, and thanks for the sticky, mods!

Aquilinia
Senator

Founded: Feb 05, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Aquilinia » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm

About time somebody made a decent formatting guide and template - and it's a well-deserved and definitely needed sticky.
Etat Liber Aquilini - Freistaat Aquilinien - Free State of Aquilinia
Libertas et Unitas - Freiheit und Einheit - Freedom and Unity

Empress: Lucille II of the House of Silvanus Aquili
Consul: Dr. Zoé Metelli

Proud member of Esvanovia
Formerly of Sondria

Daskoxian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Daskoxian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:09 am

I tried to really emulate Wikipedia with my factbook. It's not terribly in-depth though, being a near-permanent WIP.

Free World Alliance
Attaché

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free World Alliance » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:45 am

Well, I am still working on it, but... Linkie

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

Daskoxian wrote:I tried to really emulate Wikipedia with my factbook. It's not terribly in-depth though, being a near-permanent WIP.

How'd you do that weather thing? I've seen it in a few different places, and I'm curious as to how people make/generate them.

Daskoxian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Daskoxian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 am

Bodobol wrote:
Daskoxian wrote:I tried to really emulate Wikipedia with my factbook. It's not terribly in-depth though, being a near-permanent WIP.

How'd you do that weather thing? I've seen it in a few different places, and I'm curious as to how people make/generate them.

Not sure if it still works, but here.

Bodobol
Negotiator

Postby Bodobol » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:13 am

Daskoxian wrote:
Bodobol wrote:

Not sure if it still works, but here.

It doesn't work anymore, unfortunately. Still, thanks for the link.

United Kingdom of Iberia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Iberia » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:03 pm

This is very cool. Thanks for the help. I hope to take advantage of it soon.

Tuaisceart Eireann
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Helpful

Postby Tuaisceart Eireann » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 pm

This has come in handy, my wiki is beginning to take shape ....

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=tuaisceart_eireann/detail=factbook/id=155195

Bolden
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolden » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:01 am

Tuaisceart Eireann wrote:This has come in handy, my wiki is beginning to take shape ....

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=tuaisceart_eireann/detail=factbook/id=155195

Love the "Location" image. I wish mines looked like that.

The Black Tiger Nation
Constitutional Monarchy
Bolden's Main Factbook.
We're a Pro-Life Nation.
For: Christianity, Fidelity, Individuality, Universal Health Care.
Somewhat Against: Euthanasia (in animals), Exaggeration, Materialism.
(Will not add Fully Against list - You can only assume.)
"Freedom from tradition is our 'tradition'."
20 yrs. old
Independent
Black, White and Indian
Creationist (please don't kill me..)
Writing / English tutor
(future job)
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
(planned career)
a fan of...
The New Orleans Saints
White Metal