NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread #4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should OP the next Military Realism Consultation Thread?

Imperializt Russia
60%
The Kievan People
21%
Velkanika
8%
Vitaphone Racing
11%

Total votes : 99

Hawkwick
Envoy

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkwick » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Damn, forgot to mention they (ME-410) were being remanufactured and reproduced, will add!

Thank you for the help on everything, could I perhaps add the autocannon as a coaxial weapon?
Last edited by Hawkwick on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Altic Province of Hawkwick
◄►◄►
My region isn't part of the NSEarth continuity which means that if you see me RPing around it's likely in a regionally closed thread, or something intended to be a regionally closed thread.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I don't think you could put a 105/20 main/coax on a Panzer III. The thing is, after all, quite small. It's smaller than a BMP-3.
Last edited by Questers on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Hawkwick
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkwick » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Hawkwick wrote:I have three questions:

Okay, so the Hawkwickan Army recently found a WWII-era Nazi Stockpile, and we have taken to upgrading the Me-410 Hornisse into ground attack planes. Modifications include the addition of modern-day avionics, turboprops, and missile/weapon pylons, as well as a three barrel, centrally mounted, 12.7mm gatling gun similar to the GAU-19. The plane in RL has demonstrated the mounting of large weapons, including the BK-5.

My real question is: How feasible is this and is it really that useful? Note that it is meant to be used as a close-strike and infantry support plane, as well as in possible recon/surveillance roles. Essentially, a manned UAV.

Second:

Additionally, the army also found many Pz III and Pz IV hulls and turrets, and have taken to upgrading the tanks with new engines, tracks, computers, composite armor, and a 105mm gun, for intended use as a recon vehicle and light tank.

The question is the same: How feasible is this and is it really that useful?

And finally: Is it possible to fit caseless ammunition into a conventional magazine?

EDIT:

The planes are being remanufactured and a factory will start production of new units in the near future.

Note that the stockpile was underground and therefore not exposed to the elements, as such partial upgrading of the items is a possibility...

Right?

EDIT: Not an EDIT.

Okay, so scrapping the 105mm then.
Last edited by Hawkwick on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
◄►◄►
My region isn't part of the NSEarth continuity which means that if you see me RPing around it's likely in a regionally closed thread, or something intended to be a regionally closed thread.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:15 pm

What would be needed to design a vehicle that has a rapid firing 120mm (or so) cannon?

I am thinking of either a gatling gun like system with 3 or more rotating cannons or a gast gun double barrel like system with massive cooling and recoil compensating devices added to that.

If the device will be compact and light enough to mount on a feasbale vehicle the Stahnese military could do a lot of damage with that. :twisted:

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Stahn wrote:What would be needed to design a vehicle that has a rapid firing 120mm (or so) cannon?

I am thinking of either a gatling gun like system with 3 or more rotating cannons or a gast gun double barrel like system with massive cooling and recoil compensating devices added to that.

If the device will be compact and light enough to mount on a feasbale vehicle the Stahnese military could do a lot of damage with that. :twisted:
ammunition
Restore the Crown

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Hawkwick wrote:Damn, forgot to mention they (ME-410) were being remanufactured and reproduced, will add!

Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Hawkwick
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkwick » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 pm

:p

Tried to find a way to incorporate refitted WWII vehicles into my military, got to admit, I probably should have thought of something better.
◄►◄►

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Questers wrote:
Stahn wrote:What would be needed to design a vehicle that has a rapid firing 120mm (or so) cannon?

ammunition

Yeah. Lots. It must be able to carry multiple cylinders for the autoloader and be able to eject and replace them.

The vehicle would be huge!

And it would also draw a lot of attention to itself which would fit Stahnese military doctrine quite well because it wouldn't really be about using this hulking vehicle but manipulate the enemy into attacking this behemoth.
Last edited by Stahn on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm

Hawkwick wrote:Tried to find a way to incorporate refitted WWII vehicles into my military...

I found the problem!

If you want WWII tech. Go PT.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:27 pm

It could look something like this:

Hawkwick
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkwick » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Hawkwick wrote:Tried to find a way to incorporate refitted WWII vehicles into my military...

I found the problem!

If you want WWII tech. Go PT.

First of all, you are being pretty rude, and second of all, I was specifically looking for a way to incorporate refitted vehicles.
◄►◄►

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Hawkwick wrote::p

Tried to find a way to incorporate refitted WWII vehicles into my military, got to admit, I probably should have thought of something better.

Look at Israel. They have converted lots of old and obsolete tanks to APC's. Even tanks as crappy as the Sherman and the T-34 by todays standards could possibly be of some use as a APC on todays battlefields.

Not very much more then the unconverted tanks would be however.

Or use them in your home guard/reserve units.

I believe it is assumed that North Korea still has some T-34's in active service by the way.

Hawkwick
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Hawkwick » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Yes, the original plan was for the Me-410 refit to go to the Army and the Panzer variants to go to the National Guard.
◄►◄►

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:37 pm

*Shrug* it was an honest suggestion. There is no reason to do this except because you like the aesthetics. If you like them that much, just RP with them and don't bother twisting yourself into contortions trying to come up with (nonsensical) explanations for why it makes sense in MT. Because it doesn't.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:44 pm

The Kievan People wrote:*Shrug* it was an honest suggestion. There is no reason to do this except because you like the aesthetics. If you like them that much, just RP with them and don't bother twisting yourself into contortions trying to come up with (nonsensical) explanations for why it makes sense in MT. Because it doesn't.
I agree with this though.

If you like the aesthetics of it just use them, either in MT and take the hit or in PT.
Restore the Crown

Ea90
Senator

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Remember that he's using 6.5x55 which I am positive is a pretty potent battle rifle cartridge.

Bear in mind it has as much energy at 500m as 5.56N has at the muzzle.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Ea90 wrote:(Image)
Standard Yanintovian LBV; it can hold 6 grenades, 4 20-round 6.5x55 mags, 8 10-round 6.5x55 stripper clips, 3L of water, an OKC-3S ripoff, enough food to last 24 hours, an entrenching tool, a radio, a first aid kit, a torch, a multitool, 6 water purification tablets, a hygiene kit, binoculars, a sleeping bag and a compass.
Including the uniform, boots and gloves, that comes to 22.915kg.

Those top pouches seem pretty high to me, like they'd be hard to get into.

Maybe it's just me, but on my own LBE, I don't like anything above my chest, right about where the heart is. Those look to me like they're on the upper chest, close to the shoulders even.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Stahn wrote:
Hawkwick wrote::p

Look at Israel. They have converted lots of old and obsolete tanks to APC's. Even tanks as crappy as the Sherman and the T-34 by todays standards could possibly be of some use as a APC on todays battlefields.

Not very much more then the unconverted tanks would be however.

Or use them in your home guard/reserve units.

I believe it is assumed that North Korea still has some T-34's in active service by the way.

North Korea no longer has the T-34 in active service. Retired, but still in storage since the 1980's. Might be knocking about in some of the conscript formations. The Cuban Ground Forces still use it in a Light Tank capacity for supporting infantry. Most of the former Yugoslav States used the tank into the 1990's early 2000's. Most Southeast Asian nations who used the tank retired it in the 90's too, such as Cambodia. The only thing i can think of thats in service is the Type 63 SPAAG, based on the Chinese Copy of the T-34.

For actual users of the T-34 these days you can look at various African Nations. Guinea-Bissau operates 10 T-34 Tanks for example. So do places like Zimbawbwe, Togo, Sudan etc. The reason being is the T-34 is very, very cheap these days and still effective at putting down lightly armoured militia/rebel forces and, when your most likely enemy states are using very early versions of the T-55/M48 at best the T-34 can still serve well in the actual tank role. Outside of Africa you won't find it in anything more than a reserve/infantry support role.

If you want to use it i'd recommend using its hull as the basis for something like a SPAAG or light artillery vehicle, or in reserve/militia forces.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:33 pm

a t-34 would be ok as a tractor I think.
Restore the Crown

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:50 pm

A note on the T-34. The Russians still have a LOT in storage. Nobody really knows how many (Probably not even the Russians), but a lot. And every few years they pull a number out of storage and put them up for sale to Eastern European private tank brokers. This is where you see so many on the civilian market. Every year about 1/3rd to 1/2 are bought up by non-private entities, which mostly means countries. Although they do get bought by companies as well (Mid-1990s a pile got bought up by a film supply company).

The ammunition for the 76mm and 85mm guns is also sold out, in small numbers, every year to these brokers.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

British Albionoria
Secretary

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby British Albionoria » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:52 pm

Questers wrote:Basically British Albionoria you want to RP Canada in the Cold War.

More or less but with more conservative politics and a renewed interest in military affairs during the second half of the cold war

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:04 pm

It's that time again~

Camouflage uniform
Helmet (Night vision device, Flashlight, Infrared flag patch)
Undershirt
Undergarments
Socks
Boots
Gloves
Rigger belt
Infrared flag patch
Ranger Rack
-Front and rear plate carrier
-3 magazine pouches (2 magazines)
-100 oz hydration bladder
-First aid bag
-Utility knife/bayonet
-Admin pouch
-Stowed dump pouch
-Vertical general purpose utility pouch
2 day assault pack
-Rifle cleaning kit
-10 round stripper clip (8)
-2 MRE
-Filtrarion bottle
-E tool
-Multi-tool
-Poncho Liner
-50 feet polyester rope
-Chemical light (2)

Any glaring issues or suggestions for additions?
Unreachable.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:09 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:It's that time again~

Camouflage uniform
Undershirt
Undergarments
Socks
Boots
Gloves
Rigger belt
Infrared flag patch
Ranger Rack
-First aid bag
-Utility knife/bayonet
-Admin pouch
-Stowed dump pouch
2 day assault pack
-Rifle cleaning kit
-2 MRE
-Filtrarion bottle
-E tool
-Multi-tool
-Poncho Liner
-50 feet polyester rope
-Chemical light (2)

Good, if somewhat limited. Not much there, I'm guessing this is for long range patrol guys, based on the ranger title.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:It's that time again~

Camouflage uniform
Undershirt
Undergarments
Socks
Boots
Gloves
Rigger belt
Infrared flag patch
Ranger Rack
-First aid bag
-Utility knife/bayonet
-Admin pouch
-Stowed dump pouch
2 day assault pack
-Rifle cleaning kit
-2 MRE
-Filtrarion bottle
-E tool
-Multi-tool
-Poncho Liner
-50 feet polyester rope
-Chemical light (2)

Good, if somewhat limited. Not much there, I'm guessing this is for long range patrol guys, based on the ranger title.

Well the idea is to give lots of storage and the bare essentials and whatever else the troops need, they'll take.

http://www.nctactical.com/images/upload ... efront.jpg
That's a ranger rack.
Unreachable.

Ea90
Senator

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ea90 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:17 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:A note on the T-34. The Russians still have a LOT in storage. Nobody really knows how many (Probably not even the Russians), but a lot. And every few years they pull a number out of storage and put them up for sale to Eastern European private tank brokers. This is where you see so many on the civilian market. Every year about 1/3rd to 1/2 are bought up by non-private entities, which mostly means countries. Although they do get bought by companies as well (Mid-1990s a pile got bought up by a film supply company).

The ammunition for the 76mm and 85mm guns is also sold out, in small numbers, every year to these brokers.

Roughly how much would one of those cost to a private buyer?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information