NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.V

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Next OP for the MGVoYN[NM] Thread

The Kievan People
9%
Questers
7%
Rich and Corporations
1%
Yes Im Biop
7%
Anemos Major
47%
Dragomere
23%
Mod Controlled
5%

Total votes : 81

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:32 pm

wow cv90 you have a 40mm gun your gay this baby rocks manly 57mm fuck you guys
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:47 pm

This is probably kind of outlandish, but anyway... :lol:
M.70A4 'Mars' Main Battle Tank
Type: Main Battle Tank
Unit Cost: $16,750,000 NSD
Variants: M.70/ARV, M.70/AVLB, M.70/CEV

Weight: 54.5 tons
Length:
  • Hull: 8.8 m
  • Gun-Forward: 9.1 m
Width: 3.5 m
Height: 2.2 m
Crew: 3

Armor: RHA, Composite
  • Modular Applique: RHA/Composite/NERA/ERA
Protection:
  • Frontal: 120mm APFSDS, 155mm HEAT
  • Side: 30mm APFSDS
  • Top: 15.5mm AP, 155mm HE Shrapnel
  • Rear: 15.5mm AP
Passive Protection: Radar-Absorbent Paint, Multi-Spectral Camouflage Netting
Active Protection: MUSS, AMAP-ADS

Main Armament: 150mm L/30 Smoothbore Regenerative Liquid Propellant Gun (64 Rounds in Bustle, Ready)
Secondary Armament:
  • 15.5mm Coaxial Machinegun (1,200 Rounds)
  • 7.62mm RWS Machinegun (600 Rounds)

Engine: 1600 hp Multifuel Turbine
Power/Weight Ratio: 29.36 hp/ton
Transmission: Hydromechanical Variable
Suspension: Hydropneumatic
Ground Clearance: 0.5 m (± 0.3 m)
Operational Range: 500 km
Speed:
  • Road (Governed): 75km/h
  • Off-Road: 60km/h

Propellant is stored in an isolated compartment beneath the floor of the crew compartment, while ammunitions are stored in the bustle.

Will probably do away with safety measures like blow-off panels for bustle since the only explosive stuff left would be warheads of some of the rounds, and as far as I understand it modern explosives are extremely difficult to be set off by accident/attack.
Last edited by Anacasppia on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:23 pm

1. 65, not happening.
3. You have your safety measures backwards. The propellant, not the warheads, is what you really need to worry about and what needs to be kept isolated from the crew. Having the shells in the bustle also complicates and slows the loading cycle. If the shell is stored in the compartment it can be brought into line with the propellant charge in the bustle and the complete round is rammed in one action. But if the shell is in the bustle it needs to be rammed, then the propellant charge needs to be brought into line and rammed again.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:42 pm

:P
The gun is actually RLPG, thus the 'outlandish' remark. I was under the impression that RLPG could provide for an increase in ammunition capacity of up to 50% or so, so I gave it a more conservative 33% increase, from 48 to 64.

The loading issue isn't a problem anymore in such a case, I hope, since the liquid propellant would be injected into the breech separately?

E: Apparently I goofed on the division of rounds, though - it is supposed to be 32 ready, 32 stowed.
Last edited by Anacasppia on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae

Call me Ana.
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Anacasppia wrote::P
The gun is actually RLPG, thus the 'outlandish' remark. I was under the impression that RLPG could provide for an increase in ammunition capacity of up to 50% or so, so I gave it a more conservative 33% increase, from 48 to 64.

The loading issue isn't a problem anymore in such a case, I hope, since the liquid propellant would be injected into the breech separately?

E: Apparently I goofed on the division of rounds, though - it is supposed to be 32 ready, 32 stowed.

Right, right...

Those just don't work properly. Unsolved problems with unpredictable propellant ignition.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:11 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Anacasppia wrote::P

Right, right...

Those just don't work properly. Unsolved problems with unpredictable propellant ignition.

Guess I'll just make this '2020 main battle tank (concept?)' or something then, while considering what the presently in service 'A3' should look like.
Foederatae Anacaspiae

Call me Ana.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Showing off my tank again.

Modified a few things - moved back the reactive armor, increased the opacity of the shading, among a few other things. And of course, as I showed last time, a complete evolution of the M9 tank ever since I first colored it.

Criticism/comments?

Also, I was considering the implementation of a few upgrades for the latest version of the tank, but I'd like to know if they're practical. Turkey wants to integrate an electric engine into the Altay MBT to make the tank less glaringly visible on infrared cameras. However, an electric engine introduces a number of questions - can electric engines produce as much power for as long and would it not require an extensive replacement/overhaul of armored formation support elements to facilitate electrically charging them rather than a simple refuel? Would it be better than a more conventional diesel hyperbar or gas turbine engine in terms of performance and fuel/energy efficiency?

Additionally, I've seen several sources call the Japanese Type 10 a "fourth generation main battle tank". The characteristics that supposedly lend it this title include hydropneumatic suspension (which is already in some other tanks, like the Leclerc), autoloader (also in a ton of other tanks for decades), day/night sights providing a 360° view around the turret ("MBT EODAS"?), and an advanced communication/networking suite (which sounds like it can be implemented into an existing tank). I honestly don't think any of these characteristics warrant an entirely new generation of tanks (especially when comparing 2nd and 3rd gen tanks), and some of the "innovations" have been present in previous tanks (as I believe Anemos said earlier in this thread).

But what the Type 10 does have that is unique is its continuously variable transmission, which purportedly allows it to travel at 70 km/h forward or backward. I vaguely remember someone saying CVT is not practical for application in a tank, so I was wondering if it's even possible? Also, even though it seems to be a tank based on western philosophy, the Type 10 only weighs 48 tonnes with a standard armor load. Is it because of its "nano-crystal steel armor" (which is what Wiki called it), use of an autoloader instead of another crew member (which makes the Leclerc weigh significantly less than other western tanks), or an amalgamation of these and other factors?
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Yezidistan
Secretary

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yezidistan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:52 pm

I'm toying with ideas for armament for my not-BMP-23 MT-LB/2S1-based IFV. Should I go with a 23mm autocannon and 7.62mm coaxial MG, or should I rock a 12.7mm HMG with coaxial 35mm AGL?
Last edited by Yezidistan on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 pm

Virana wrote:Showing off my tank again.

(Image)

Looks good. I don't think electric engines would have he power output for the same mass/size as a diesel motor and they take longer to recharge. Plus recharging in the field would be complicated, requiring massive additional power generators to be carried to the front to recharge your tanks, so in the end probably not saving you much fuel or logistic elements.

Now as to they Type 10, most of its electronics stuff could probably be easily added to other modern MBT's. I have actually seen 360 NV cameras offered that can be added to most vehicles.Probably its weight is due to a number of factors, plus maybe just less armor or something else, wasn't part of its design requirement light weight for use on certain Japanese islands?
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am

(Image)

Modified a few things - moved back the reactive armor, increased the opacity of the shading, among a few other things. And of course, as I showed last time, a complete evolution of the M9 tank ever since I first colored it.

Criticism/comments?

Also, I was considering the implementation of a few upgrades for the latest version of the tank, but I'd like to know if they're practical. Turkey wants to integrate an electric engine into the Altay MBT to make the tank less glaringly visible on infrared cameras. However, an electric engine introduces a number of questions - can electric engines produce as much power for as long and would it not require an extensive replacement/overhaul of armored formation support elements to facilitate electrically charging them rather than a simple refuel? Would it be better than a more conventional diesel hyperbar or gas turbine engine in terms of performance and fuel/energy efficiency?

Additionally, I've seen several sources call the Japanese Type 10 a "fourth generation main battle tank". The characteristics that supposedly lend it this title include hydropneumatic suspension (which is already in some other tanks, like the Leclerc), autoloader (also in a ton of other tanks for decades), day/night sights providing a 360° view around the turret ("MBT EODAS"?), and an advanced communication/networking suite (which sounds like it can be implemented into an existing tank). I honestly don't think any of these characteristics warrant an entirely new generation of tanks (especially when comparing 2nd and 3rd gen tanks), and some of the "innovations" have been present in previous tanks (as I believe Anemos said earlier in this thread).

But what the Type 10 does have that is unique is its continuously variable transmission, which purportedly allows it to travel at 70 km/h forward or backward. I vaguely remember someone saying CVT is not practical for application in a tank, so I was wondering if it's even possible? Also, even though it seems to be a tank based on western philosophy, the Type 10 only weighs 48 tonnes with a standard armor load. Is it because of its "nano-crystal steel armor" (which is what Wiki called it), use of an autoloader instead of another crew member (which makes the Leclerc weigh significantly less than other western tanks), or an amalgamation of these and other factors?

Looking good, man! I sure look forward to the statblock.

IIRC Anemos himself has mentioned that the label of '4th generation tank' stemmed from TRDI itself, which is hardly an impartial source when it comes to this, and that 'nano-crystal steel' is more of an exaggeration from translation than actual h1gh t3chn0l0gy.

CVT is more efficient (relative to other tank transmissions in use), allows equally fast forwards and backwards travel, and makes for a smoother ride owing to stepless transitions from gear to gear. Again, Anemos has mentioned that, from TRDI documents, CVT has only been tested for vehicles weighing up to around ~50 tons, and therefore its effectiveness and feasibility for heavier vehicles is unproven and questionable.

I'd think the weight is due to the use of autoloader (eliminating 4th crew member and corresponding space and weight) plus the modular armor, with a lighter base armor configuration and the capability to tack on more armor as needed.

*totally hopes Anemos will not slap me if I've misrepresented him in any way, bear in mind this is all IIRC* :P

E: To be frank I have never heard about electric engines before so I can't help you with that, but if Honeywell's proposed turbine engine for the FCS is anything to go by, modern turbines can be lighter, smaller, quieter, less hot, and less smoky than contemporary diesels, as well as being a lot less maintenance intensive.

Fuel efficiency will never be able to match that of diesels though, due to fundamental reasons.
Last edited by Anacasppia on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae

Call me Ana.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:

(Image)

Looks good. I don't think electric engines would have he power output for the same mass/size as a diesel motor and they take longer to recharge. Plus recharging in the field would be complicated, requiring massive additional power generators to be carried to the front to recharge your tanks, so in the end probably not saving you much fuel or logistic elements.

Now as to they Type 10, most of its electronics stuff could probably be easily added to other modern MBT's. I have actually seen 360 NV cameras offered that can be added to most vehicles.Probably its weight is due to a number of factors, plus maybe just less armor or something else, wasn't part of its design requirement light weight for use on certain Japanese islands?

Regarding the electric engine, that's the biggest issue I was concerned about: the fact that I'd need to replace my entire support infrastructure for armored formations in order to facilitate an electric engine rather than a conventional one. And then I'd still have to keep normal refueling trucks to support other vehicles in the formation and... ugh, that sounds like a logistical mess.

And yeah, now that I think about it, a lighter weight tank with less armor makes a lot of sense for Japan's position.

Anacasppia wrote:Looking good, man! I sure look forward to the statblock.

IIRC Anemos himself has mentioned that the label of '4th generation tank' stemmed from TRDI itself, which is hardly an impartial source when it comes to this, and that 'nano-crystal steel' is more of an exaggeration from translation than actual h1gh t3chn0l0gy.

CVT is more efficient (relative to other tank transmissions in use), allows equally fast forwards and backwards travel, and makes for a smoother ride owing to stepless transitions from gear to gear. Again, Anemos has mentioned that, from TRDI documents, CVT has only been tested for vehicles weighing up to around ~50 tons, and therefore its effectiveness and feasibility for heavier vehicles is unproven and questionable.

I'd think the weight is due to the use of autoloader (eliminating 4th crew member and corresponding space and weight) plus the modular armor, with a lighter base armor configuration and the capability to tack on more armor as needed.

*totally hopes Anemos will not slap me if I've misrepresented him in any way, bear in mind this is all IIRC* :P

I assumed the "fourth generation" designation was applied by heavily biased sources, so it definitely makes sense if TRDI themselves called it that. And I was also was skeptical about "nano-crystal steel", since, as you said, it just sounds like an exaggerated buzzword.

As for the statblock, the only information I've established on it so far (including some preliminary dimensions) is here. Those stats are subject to change though, particularly the fact that it uses CVT. I'll have to do some research on the practicality of CVT for vehicles exceeding 50 t, though.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:43 am

(I'll put up a more comprehensive response later, since I'm a bit busy right now - for now, I just need to point out for the record that the Type 10 doesn't use a CVT, but an HMT designed to mimic the transmission characteristics of the CVT without the glaring advantages of the latter system when paired with higher output powerplants on heavier vehicles (in this case, tanks). If you can read Japanese, there're some TRDI papers lying around here and there on what they found in testing the pre-Type 10 HMT.)

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:44 am

Virana wrote:Also, I was considering the implementation of a few upgrades for the latest version of the tank, but I'd like to know if they're practical. Turkey wants to integrate an electric engine into the Altay MBT to make the tank less glaringly visible on infrared cameras. However, an electric engine introduces a number of questions - can electric engines produce as much power for as long and would it not require an extensive replacement/overhaul of armored formation support elements to facilitate electrically charging them rather than a simple refuel? Would it be better than a more conventional diesel hyperbar or gas turbine engine in terms of performance and fuel/energy efficiency?

First things first, I doubt Turkey is going to create an electric-only tank or that they're serious about trying it. It's about a decade too early to be thinking about that yet. Can electric motors produce as much power as internal combustion engines? Yes. Can electric drivetrains handle as much power as mechanical drivetrains? Yes

If you're looking for fuel efficiency, look away from hyperbars altogether and only consider turbines if you're looking at creating a range-extender hybrid drivetrain, where there is no mechanical transmission present. There are countless other options available though.

But what the Type 10 does have that is unique is its continuously variable transmission, which purportedly allows it to travel at 70 km/h forward or backward. I vaguely remember someone saying CVT is not practical for application in a tank, so I was wondering if it's even possible?

The Type 10's transmission is a hydraulic transmission, not technically the same as the CVT but produces similar effects. They aren't well suited for high torque applications due to cooling problems, the Type-10 represents the upper limit of what you can extract from these transmissions. There are advantages to infinitely geared transmissions which is why HMTs were developed, to bring these advantages to farm vehicles and such, but it is an extremely complicated transmission. Being able to travel at 70km/h in forward or reverse isn't that great of an advantage, more of a by-product of the other advantages.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:05 am

Virana wrote:Also, I was considering the implementation of a few upgrades for the latest version of the tank, but I'd like to know if they're practical. Turkey wants to integrate an electric engine into the Altay MBT to make the tank less glaringly visible on infrared cameras.

I'm not sure what the Turks actually intend, but it wouldn't work out that way in practice. For one, whether you use an electric or a mechanical transmission, you still need an engine, and this is where the exhaust comes from. Unless you go 100% battery, but batteries also get hot and you will get pitiful range.

In any event, a tank's largest thermal signature is from the running gear. An Abrams after running for a while can exhibit temperatures exceeding 300 F on the roadwheels and inner surface of the tracks.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:03 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:The Type 10's transmission is a hydraulic transmission, not technically the same as the CVT but produces similar effects. They aren't well suited for high torque applications due to cooling problems, the Type-10 represents the upper limit of what you can extract from these transmissions. There are advantages to infinitely geared transmissions which is why HMTs were developed, to bring these advantages to farm vehicles and such, but it is an extremely complicated transmission. Being able to travel at 70km/h in forward or reverse isn't that great of an advantage, more of a by-product of the other advantages.

If you really want to have the same speed forward and reverse why not just go with the ancient way of having a separate transmission and gearbox? As in, you have a gear box that lets you pick gears and than a separate transfer unit that connects it to a separate set of gears in the final drive to drive either forward or reverse. So instead of say 5 gears forward and 1 reverse you have 5 gears, period and can direct them either forward or reverse as you will.

See example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTVp9z0YHE
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:40 am

San-Silvacian wrote:([url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/713/gxww.png]Image)[/url]

BRB Making CV9057 IMM with 57mm bofors shoved into its turret. :p
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:45 am

San-Silvacian wrote:([url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/713/gxww.png]Image)[/url]

I know the AU-220 is pretty slender, but I can't help but feel your gun is a little thin for a 57mm piece.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 am

Five decades of T-64s this year, so I have made something, a little 'tribute' to Kharkhiv and Morozov.

SA-19U 'GENET'

STIRRUP
The tankist's magazine

Thirteen years ago the Revolution that transformed our country had just begun. Already it had entered its critical phase. The Army and Unionists had secured the reigns of the Government only for hero of the revolution, Richard Eliot, to be shot dead in the street by counter-revolutionaries and an abortive coup d'etat followed the next week, sponsored by foreign capitalists. The Royalists of our country escaped with their lives. Nothing was secure. The Republic faced enemies on all sides. They might at any time have attacked our country, and we would have been in serious danger.

The Republican Government, for all its faults and squabbles, was not going to be caught unawares. Production lines which had been dormant, strategic preservation being perhaps the only good policy of the Royalist government, were quickly restarted. Within months the Republic was churning out arms at an unprecedented level. And still, there were gaps. Production of weapons such as surface to air missiles, long-distance communications systems and counter-battery radars, to be precise, all lagged. But in one other, more conventional areas, production was still under-pace.

In the first six months of the revolution the GSR produced a meagre hundred tanks, as production lines were restarted, raw materials were purchased and technical goods and personnel were formed. The tanks produced were of the familiar SA-19 "Mink" type, a design some twenty years old and designed by the Softham Arsenal to be quickly produced in the event of war. Since the revolution some ten thousand of these vehicles have been built, and more for export, or in foreign plants. Yet the design was not completely up to scratch. Especially early versions of the vehicle had not been worked on. Ammunition was of poor quality. The fighting systems of the tank were inadequate.

That is where researchers and designers from the Softham Arsenal came in. Timothy Redwood, Chief Designer of the Tracked Vehicles Bureau from 1995-2005, filled us in. "The SA-19 was, is a good design. But it had some problems at that time. Ammunition quality for the 12.5-centimetre gun was of a poor design. We did, however, have one other gun, a 13.7-centimetre design that stemmed from a design requirement early in the '90s. And this weapon technically had some advanced munitions that we could produce. Most of it was blueprinted. We had the gun, and the autoloader system. There were maybe half a dozen working examples, including the laboratory-factory version with its ammunition, which we had been testing for years. So one day in July I received a call asking if we had any working examples of the 13.7-cm gun. We did, I replied. Then: prepare them for production! I was shocked. We had no tank design, only that for an autoloader - which was complex - and a gun and its munitions. So we took the nearest thing, an SA-19. We had to widen the chassis a little. The first prototype was built and was underpowered, so we replaced it with a gas turbine engine that had also been in the design stage for years. Since this was all done on the original SA-19 chassis, using many SA-19 components, including the drivetrain, suspension etc, and much of the armour constructions, we named it the SA-19U."

By late September of 2001 the SA-19U was in production. The first units rolled out of the factory in late december. And in the last six months of that year the GSR produced over five hundred tanks. Ultimately, the SA-19U had a small impact. The gas turbine was unreliable. The design was difficult to produce. And by 2002 it was being vastly outproduced by other SA-19 variants and after a year of production, the factory was retooled and the SA-19U was no more. It may have been a technically impressive design, but for the early rearmament years, what mattered was quantity. In the end, what shocked the foreign powers into leaving our country alone was the massive rate of expansion of our arms and the demonstrations of strength that showed, resolutely, that we would use them skilfully and decisively.

Today, all SA-19Us have been placed in reserve. Some are in museums. None were ever exported. But for those engineers involved in tank production in the early years of the revolution, the SA-19U was an unforgettable memory.

Restore the Crown

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:Russian AFV design is complex around the 90s.
There was the 152mm-armed T-80, the Objekt-195 with a 152mm gun and the T-95, which was theorised to have either a 125mm or a 152mm gun.

Supposedly, just about all of them have fallen by the wayside and coming relatively soon is the T-99. Probably less is known about T-99 Armata than all of these previous projects, but it has the advantage of two decades more technology.
Im just calling it now, the Armata is going to have a 125mm gun.
Restore the Crown

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 am

I implied nothing to the contrary :lol:
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 am

On T-64 autoloader: Some how expected that the propellant and shell would've been stored as mirror image from how they are, but I guess that would've been too logical. :P
I guess that might not be mechanically suitable then.
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:23 am

Immoren wrote:On T-64 autoloader: Some how expected that the propellant and shell would've been stored as mirror image from how they are, but I guess that would've been too logical. :P

That would defeat the main advantage of the design: Only one ramming motion required.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:28 am

The Kievan People wrote:
Immoren wrote:On T-64 autoloader: Some how expected that the propellant and shell would've been stored as mirror image from how they are, but I guess that would've been too logical. :P

That would defeat the main advantage of the design: Only one ramming motion required.

Because I had this notion that because you had warhead on top of propellant in 90 (more or less) degree angle , it would allow ramming it in in motion.

Independent Islands
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Islands » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:39 am

we use the M2A3 Juggernaut, a custom M1A1 Abrams
like that but with more guns.
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Independent Islands wrote:we use the M2A3 Juggernaut, a custom M1A1 Abrams
(Image)
like that but with more guns.

The M1 Abrams has enough guns as it is.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information