NATION

PASSWORD

Status of Men and Women In Your Military

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Status of men and women in your military?

Only Men Can Serve
6%
Only Women Can Serve
3%
Men and Women Serve, But Women Can't Serve In Frontline Roles
16%
Men and Women Serve, But Men Can't Serve In Frontline Roles
1%
Both men and women serve equally
70%
Other
5%
We Don't Have A Military
No votes

Total votes : 108

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 am

Both men and women could serve equally since 1935 (in the west, or 1969 in the east) within the military. Prior to that, only men could serve.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Men and women can serve in the military equally by law. More conservative states have some social stigma on military women/women on the front-lines, but technically by law, woman can serve in the front-lines.

Generally, the states of Hephazi and Alinia look down upon women working anything more than support/desk jobs in the military. In the state of Sangaur, a volunteering woman must have her husband or father's consent to serve...if she's being drafted, however, the state says "f*ck it, you're coming with us"

Same goes for the military police (ILOP)

Conscription laws are changing in Nui-ta, however.

Men and women who were recently married are ineligible for conscription for 1 month after their marriage.
Women who are pregnant are BARRED from serving in any military position, from the front-lines to a desk-job.

New laws are coming into place that also say that the parents of a child under two years old are ineligible for conscription. The father is eligible after the child turns 2. The woman is eligible after the child becomes 5. {In the case of a homosexual relationhip where children are in custody of the couple, the couple can volunteer one person to be eligible at 2 or 5. If they can't decide, the state picks}.

You can also be ineligible if you are seriously ill or a member of the Stalari clergy. Everyone who does not fall into these conditions and is between the ages of 16-40 are eligible for the draft.
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Tue May 07, 2013 2:18 pm

There are no restrictions on men or women serving in the Federation Armed Forces. However, we aren't going to lower our standards to let unqualified women in. Yes, you have to pass a test before you can join the Armed Forces in the Federation and it is a very difficult test. 80% of the men that attempt it fail, as do 99% of the women.

Women and men are encouraged to purchase firearms and plenty of ammo so they can participate in militia training events. Each Republic has a Militia which is required by the Federation Constitution to train at least 1 day out of every 3 months. Participation is voluntary, but the opportunity to receive military-quality training is provided so that the citizens of our Federation can protect us against criminals and invaders. Around 15% of men and 5% of women regularly attend militia events.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

The Dasquitines
Attaché

Founded: May 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dasquitines » Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Dasquitine society does not distinguish between men and women in any aspect.
The Dasquitines are a totalitarian race of non-human psions from another dimension. I am FanT and FT.

Also, I hope I don't have to tell you this but IC statements do not reflect OOC views AT ALL.

The Presidium
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Presidium » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Anyone 15 and up can be in the militia.
Nation Name: The Presidium Of Chernogorsk
Leader: President Andrew H. Redfield
Capital Building: Legacy Tower
Population: 155
Government Type: Constitutional Republic
Rival: Elektrozavodsk

Kalmarium
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalmarium » Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Men and women serve equally. Ranking up is also non-biased, so a female enlist could potentially rise up to Lord General (highest rank, Lord Generals also have the ability to be appointed leader by the other Generals if they have proven themselves).
My political and
religious views:
Leftist, somewhat libertarian. Muslim, but I believe in secular systems
religions and enforced atheism should be irrelevant in law.
Voting Bernie because he holds the majority of my interests.
My Deviantart
Alt. hisotry fans
check it out!

Kalmarium does not go by NS stats. Please refer to my nation's factbook, thanks!
Pro: Old schhol RTS/Anti: MLG gaming

Johto and Kanto
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Johto and Kanto » Wed May 08, 2013 2:45 pm

Our military is almost solely made up of feral cats.
I STILL need a new signature.

*insert link to witty post here*

Talma
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Talma » Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Only men serve in the Talman Army. This has been a matter of controversy and much issue for sometime now; inroads are being made but it is slow.
The Democratic Republic of Talma
Map [Work in Progress] | Factbook [Work in Progress]
A Modern and Exemplary African State.

Hadin
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hadin » Wed May 08, 2013 3:25 pm

Women are discouraged from serving but some tend to be firebrands and do it anyway.

The government does have a ban on women in frontline roles, and is working on a ban on combat positions being open to women altogether
Just so you know, this nation, in character, is a highly sexist, highly theocratic, and highly authoritarian state. (Though under the new guy, it seems to be improving a little).

I disagree with a lot of what this nation stands for. It was invented for its intrigue and ample opportunities for satire, not for its ideals.

Cucania
Lobbyist

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cucania » Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 pm

:) Greetings. I'm a newbie. Excuse my English, please.

In ancient times, women could only be warriors in the Red River region. They served in the Mother Spider Temple, the only troops that did not belong to a clan. In fact, it is believed that it was the Grand Master who founded the region. The habit was so ingrained that remained when they were annexed by the king of Lower Cocagne and later by the Royal House of Sleeper.

At the beginning of the long war of religion, the various male troops had to be reorganized. They were unified in the Knights of Cocagne. Coincidentally, the queen was Grand Master of the Mother Spider, only order that did not disappear with the reform. It is thought that she was very influential in the successful reestablishment of the army. Undoubtedly, all the years he ruled as Regent Widow was own.

Foundations and strictly military actions, especially looting, outside the borders of Cocagne were vetoed to the Mother Spider. In exchange, the order spread all over the country and no one could receive an important position without obtaining the Cobweb Seal.

Currently, military service is not mandatory. Enlisting grants the right to public office. All volunteers are welcome and serve according to their abilities, no matter the genre. Conscientious objectors make popularly known as "sewer service."
Last edited by Cucania on Wed May 08, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fatcbook: Cucania

¿Región hispano-hablante?
Vendo coches, gasa de primera calidad.

Uk-usa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Uk-usa » Wed May 08, 2013 4:17 pm

We don't have a formal military. Each town has a secret committee-- or a "covert squad", as we call it-- of women in charge of maintaining that town's security in times of trouble.

There has been one occasion in which a national army was needed. It was 1994, and government officials learned that terrorists from the nearby nation of Isla Filial were planning to attack by night. Covert squad members from towns all over came to the coastline towns and cities of Ukusa to stand watch that night, armed and prepared for the worst. When the terrorists learned that Ukusa had found out of the attack, they scrapped it. Another great thing is that these valiant women did their duty in silence and didn't tell a soul what they were leaving to do until many months after the fact. Nobody wanted to scare anyone or put them into a panic.

So, in events of invasion, Ukusa will peruse the force of our covert squads.
Ukusa
"Learning is the key to better life."
Bless this day with most sincereties,
Speed our well-wishes onward.
Ukusa-na unity is what we hope for.
Ukusa-na love is what we strive for.
And as we hope, embark in the glow
Of Ukusa-na honour.

Soviet Putinland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Putinland » Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm

Both serve equally, and since the military has done away with conscription, Women make up more and more of the army, For some reason they volunteer more than men do.
Member of the NSBU

The Multiversal Species Alliance
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Multiversal Species Alliance » Wed May 08, 2013 5:03 pm

If one wishes to join their community militia, they may, so long as they can pass a basic training course.
In regards to RP,see my factbook:
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=the_ ... l=factbook
My nation absolutely DOES represent my beliefs.
my author avatar: Garious, who's based on the author of this nation

Telegrams welcome.

Aegeus
Attaché

Founded: Jun 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Aegeus » Wed May 08, 2013 5:50 pm

There is no differentiation between men and women in Aegeus' Delta sector. Due to the advanced nature of aegeus' medical technology, genders may be switched as a voluntary out-patient procedure over the course of a few terran hours. Additionally, military technology has been refined to a point where physiological differences between men and women play such a minor role that there would be little-to-no point in discriminating.

Nyanners
Civil Servant

Founded: May 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nyanners » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Our military is composed of angry farmers and their employees.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Wed May 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Kawaiian society recognizes two separate spheres of responsibility, "men's work" and "women's work", both equally necessary for the functioning of society. Being a warrior is "men's work", and thus our womenfolk are exempt from military service.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Flaxxony-Setram
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony-Setram » Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 pm

For volunteer service, it doesn't matter.

A full fledged draft, however, can mean wars that kill 10-20 percent of males.

Someone has to make the babies. The difference is guys can make hundreds, and women only about 15 max. So, we would rather have guys die off at a higher ratio because it would be faster to repopulate after.
Base 12, Esperanto, 13 month years, you get the drift, All that weird stuff. 58 million total inhabitants. The national area is the northern half of South America, and we are very xenophobic. Georgism since 1871.

Kota land
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kota land » Wed May 08, 2013 6:02 pm

At first we divided them into Female and Male units to avoid sexual shenanigans..... but then things got homosexual...
Long live kota land
"History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939
How can one be Pro-Troop without being Anti-war?
Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
TaQud wrote:I say we should Abort Abortion threads. There's too many of them!

Flaxxony-Setram
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony-Setram » Wed May 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Kota land wrote:At first we divided them into Female and Male units to avoid sexual shenanigans..... but then things got homosexual...

Classic sparta
Base 12, Esperanto, 13 month years, you get the drift, All that weird stuff. 58 million total inhabitants. The national area is the northern half of South America, and we are very xenophobic. Georgism since 1871.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Wifmenn have always been allowed to serve in Eahland's defense, in any capacity they might desire, though before 1994, they were not subject to fyrdnoþ, serving only by choice, and before the modern era, it was unusual (though far from unheard of) for them to choose to do so except in direct defense of their homes.

Since 1994, fyrdnoþ applies evenly to both wifmenn and weremenn, and, though it's still more common for wifmenn to buy off their fyrdnoþ rather than fulfill it with actual service, the number of wifmenn in service has been steadily increasing.

Sex is not a consideration for assignment to fighting roles, but, because of the statistical differences between the sexes, there are some general trends evident. Few squad support gunners are female, for instance, because the role requires being able to tote a 25-pound YE-64 machine gun in addition to standard gear (or sometimes even an 80-pound YEH-41 "Hefig Healf", though that without more than the basic gear) without being slowed down unduly, so they're invariably big, strong, and usually weremenn. On the other hand, about 40% of our armor crews, including roughly 70% of our tank drivers, are female, because the interiors of armored fighting vehicles - especially the driver's compartment in a Bradsweord MBT, which is crammed down in the main hull forward of the turret ring - are small, cramped spaces, with an inflexible limit on the size of crew members, and the typically smaller size of wifmenn is a real advantage under the circumstances. More than half of our fighter pilots are female, for similar reasons. These are only statistical differences, and may not apply to any particular individual.

(I can't even get into a Bradsweord's driver's compartment. I'm too wide across the shoulders. I attempted it once on an inspection tour, and the squeeze down under the turret ring gave me a fit of claustrophobia, which I'm not particularly prone to. Something about knowing that the bottleneck I was trying to squeeze through was made out of tank armor, and, if I got stuck, they weren't going to be able to cut me out of there unless they cut me out of there. Even if I could get in there, I'd be half a foot too tall to drive it comfortably, or possibly at all.)

Our units are fully integrated, and we accept that when you put a bunch of young, healthy people, in peak physical condition and under tremendous physical and emotional stress, together, they're going to have sex. And, frankly, we'd rather they have sex with each other than with whatever two-scilling local whores they might find. We know where they've been. We just ask that they keep it out of the chains of command. But beyond that, there's a sort of unwritten rule that's developed that you don't diddle your shoulder-companions. It makes life a lot simpler keeping the relationship drama away from the folk you're going to have to see every day, and whom you regularly depend on for your survival.

(I had two wifmenn in my teoþung when I was a teoþingmann, and, though they were both, by any objective standard, crazy hot, even if I had been just one of the men, not their commanding officer, I wouldn't have touched either of them. Would have felt like kissing my sister. One of them was a lesbian, anyway... she made a great wingman.)

-- Æþelwulf v cyning,
Wodnesdæg, the 6th of Þrimilcemonaþ, 2013 A.D.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Seaponies
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seaponies » Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 pm

A Sea Pony boy's place is in the home. If there's fighting to be done, that's the girls' job!

Equalium
Minister

Founded: Feb 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Equalium » Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 pm

It's only very recent we had legalized males in the army. However, they are not allowed on the frontlines due to our reforms still in effect. Men usually serve as intelligence, but are rarely on the field. Therefore, you'll only see females fighting for the Equaliumnese banner. Prior to 2009, only Women were allowed to serve.

Discuss this. :D
Last edited by Equalium on Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equalium - Where Feminism Gone Wrong.
Frisivisia wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:
Rome = 21st Century America.

Therefore, New York will be sacked by northern barbarians.
I knew those damn Canucks were up to something. We'll send a Legion to Buffalo immediately.
Ralnis wrote:Hey, don't mock Glove World, it is the underwater version of Disney World.

Alleniana wrote:Nukes are for noobs, diplomacy is where it's at.
Factbook • Embassy • Other Nations

Former Ukraine and Mosuo in History of Man. (FINISHED)
Belkegin/Belgium and Otveta in History of Empires.
Vote for TRUE Crimean separation!

Phalnia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phalnia » Wed May 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Women have been active members since the founding of Phalnia as a colony.

"The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious. And why shouldn't it be? - it is the same the angels breathe." Mark Twain
“Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for.” Marian Wright Edelman

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed May 08, 2013 9:42 pm

In the Most Holy and Grand Empire, men and women are considered equals with regard to the military. The summer after graduating from high school, males and females are required to go through ten weeks of basic training. This ensures national preparedness in case conscription is ever necessary. Conscientious objectors and those who cannot attend basic training for health reasons are allowed to perform ten weeks of alternative service instead.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Greater Pokarnia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Pokarnia » Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm

The military only cares about how well you can perform your duties. Nothing else.
First Deputy Secretary of the Communist Party and Minister of Education of the NSG Senate, representing Constituency 316.

[Insert personal information]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information