NATION

PASSWORD

Applications for Aurora! (Open, MT RPing Region, NO ALTS)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue May 27, 2014 10:10 pm

I think I reached an agreement with those on IRC to have 100 million people and exist near Norvenia and Cook.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue May 27, 2014 11:35 pm

New app.
Nation Name: The Republic of Lanos
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: Federal constitutional democratic republic
National Leader(s): President Marina Aruthyan
Population of Nation (expect this to be under 100 million): Further negotiations results in a 101 million pop.
Rough GDP of Nation: $1.15 trillion PPP with a GDP per capita of $15,290.21 PPP
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s) and Religion(s): A mix of indigenous and Norvenian roots, the ethnic Lanosian population numbers 80% of the country's population. The ethnic Lanosians are defensive of their country and their freedoms while focusing on making a living with their families. Local culture is focused on small towns and neighborhoods while big city attitudes tend to creep in once in a while. Often, city ordinances can be ignored by neighborhoods and suburbs while there is some mistrust of the police (how big the mistrust is depends on varying cities and neighborhoods). The government is making inroads into helping with poverty but runs into frequent issues with having to destroy or revamp favelas and corrupt officials lining their pockets if they can. Overall, Lanosians are optimistic of their country and their future but don't hold out hope that things can be vastly improved anytime soon. Roman Catholicism is the majority at 75% of the population. Lanos is overall 90% Christian. Some indigenous religions exist but are not generally accepted in the mainstream.
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): The geography of Lanos is mostly defined with coastal plains across the coast with inland mountains, hills, and plateaus. The natural vegetation often consists of tropical semideciduous forests, savanna, transitional palm forests, thorny scrub, and some pine forests with very few patches of grassland in the country. The nation's climate is varied even though the country sits near the equator. Despite the popular perception the country is hot during the summer, temperatures are varied and cooler than typical equatorial climates because of altitude, polar fronts, and sea winds contributing to cooling the country. In the mountains and inland areas of Lanos, snow during the winter can even occur. There is moderate rainfall in the country with an average between 39 to 59 inches annually.

The country's natural resources are varied and plentiful. Among such resources are gold, oil, natural gas, uranium, iron, silicon, aluminum, and limestone. The economic benefits from such resources give the country a massive advantage in the global economy and its own national economy because of the products produced in Lanosian factories. Also the favorable climates give the country plenty of farmland to produce plentiful amounts of food and other products from the farms and the fields. Without such favorable natural conditions, the nation would not be in the economic position that it's in now.
Brief Description of Nation's History: Colonized by the Norvenians after centuries of indigenous rule. Gained independence in fierce independence war later. Remains independent and powerful in location but not most powerful in region. Lanos' ethnic majority is a mix of the indigenous and Norvenian ethnicity. Indigenous is reminiscent of RL South American sources.
Brief Description of Nation's Economy (include HDI considerations): HDI is .750. With that, industry employes 25% of the country and consists of aircraft, automobile industry, petrochemicals, cement and construction, textiles, food and beverages, mining, consumer durables, and tourism. Lanos is mainly an export economy. Has the resources of Brazil IRL.
Brief Description of Nation's Military: Half army, quarter air force and navy each. 500,000 men active and a large reservist base to mobilize. Conscription is used. Technologically, the military uses Western-sourced tech for its arms. Aside from the independence war, the military has taken part in few wars since 1921 and a war in the late 1960s- early 1970s.
Brief Description of Nation's Expected Geopolitical Role in Aurora: Developing nation that shows promise but is beset with corruption and poverty. Is most powerful nation in its location in the region but cannot compare to the first world democracies. It is reluctant to piss off the first world as the economy relies on them for consumers. If push comes to shove, Lanos will defend its nation and continent.
Brief Description of Nation's Greatest Flaws/Challenges (these must be real, significant, and problematic): Poverty and corruption. Big issues in Lanos. Corruption often features out on the national news with officials across the country kicked out for lining pockets with cash. Often, this doesn't do much as others take their place and continue. Poverty is similarly a big issue despite government inroads and the expanding economy. Both can be tackled at harsh measures but things do not turn out the way they are expected.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that does.]: I raise you two damn good RPs that I have done with Terra Firma:
1. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 4&t=256890
2. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 4&t=224147
Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]: Given that I am no longer in Afrosia, I ask to be put in Aurora Major next to Cook and Vessland.
Last edited by The Republic of Lanos on Tue May 27, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Wed May 28, 2014 12:15 am

I'm pleased.

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Wed May 28, 2014 2:30 am

- Post Deleted -
Last edited by Regnum Albion on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

South Arturia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby South Arturia » Wed May 28, 2014 3:32 am

Ja, sure. All happy now.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed May 28, 2014 4:53 am

Look at this generous helping of resources the new applicant chose to give himself.

The country's natural resources are varied and plentiful. Among such resources are gold, oil, natural gas, uranium, iron, silicon, aluminum, and limestone. The economic benefits from such resources give the country a massive advantage in the global economy and its own national economy because of the products produced in Lanosian factories. Also the favorable climates give the country plenty of farmland to produce plentiful amounts of food and other products from the farms and the fields. Without such favorable natural conditions, the nation would not be in the economic position that it's in now.

No one country in Aurora has gold, uranium, natural gas, and oil, plus excellent farmland and a developed manufacturing sector. A lot of the more undeveloped nations are rich in resources but aren't industrialised. A lot of the more developed nations are industrialised but need resources badly. Lanos here has just made the over-optimistic better of both bargains.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 am

- Post Deleted -
Last edited by Regnum Albion on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed May 28, 2014 7:05 am

Regnum Albion wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:No one country in Aurora has gold, uranium, natural gas, and oil, plus excellent farmland and a developed manufacturing sector. A lot of the more undeveloped nations are rich in resources but aren't industrialised. A lot of the more developed nations are industrialised but need resources badly. Lanos here has just made the over-optimistic better of both bargains.

It doesn't look as though Lanos is developed enough to compete with the 'First World' nations in terms of industry and agriculture, even though he is more developed than some of the Afrosian states. He fulfils that role of the developing world, something which we lack. I feel we should bear that in mind when we discuss this matter rather than force Lanos into either the developed world or the undeveloped world. That being said, I was unaware of the extent of those resources, though I'll hold off on taking a view for now (I have a lot of other things to do).

Building indigenous aircraft and automobiles from scratch sounds pretty developed to me.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 am

- Post Deleted -

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 am

Of course, I wouldn't be claiming those resources if they did not exist in the analog I'm claiming to be.

And yes, other research was used in the making of claim regarding resources.
Last edited by The Republic of Lanos on Wed May 28, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed May 28, 2014 11:17 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:Of course, I wouldn't be claiming those resources if they did not exist in the analog I'm claiming to be.

And yes, other research was used in the making of claim regarding resources.

It's not a first for the real world and doesn't affect the regional balance accordingly.

But it's a first for Aurora and it may affect the regional balance accordingly.

In the modern world, you can expect countries like Brazil, Indonesia and Mexico to have their own aerospace companies (Embraer, Indonesian Aerospace and Hydra Technologies) and India has its own automobile company that now owns Western ones (Tata Motors, owner of Jaguar Landrover) though they can't necessarily compete with Western competition.

The examples you've cited were initially dependent on foreign investment and technology imports. Especially in the case of India and Indonesia, whose more advanced products I've had the opportunity to observe and comment on firsthand.

You could just ask to limit the number of resources, as that's what seems to have been the main concern, rather than assuming a dichotomy of 'undeveloped' and 'developed'.

Very well. Lanos, will you limit the number of your resources - and preferably choose either gold or petrol, not both?

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 pm

If I recall, there is literally no middle ground third world developing nation out there. None. What seems to be unfair to me is that how I have to convince you of how I'm not going to destroy the regional balance by existing in my analog state idea. This analog is a something we do not have and how would I destroy the regional balance by coming in? The only balance I see being disrupted is the underdeveloped/barely developing nations being usurped by an developing third world nation that has middle power status. I may be beating out the underdeveloped nations in terms of economics but I cannot beat the first world nations at all. If anything, we should try to get more newcomer nations to be developing third world nations to expand the idea and its potential.

Regnum Albion wrote:Now that your in the location you are, you'll have to scale back this notion of 'defending the continent' as you'll be close to Norvenia and the Cookish States, who both have significant capabilities, and not a long distance from Mizuyuki who has a sophisticated armed force. That's not to say that you can't be a projector of power to some extent, but in the continent you're now on I don't think you can expect to be the "most powerful nation in the location in the region".

Other than that, I'm still pleased and would give you an aye.

Scratched that idea as soon as I moved from Afrosia. Not an issue anymore.

Lydenburg wrote:
You could just ask to limit the number of resources, as that's what seems to have been the main concern, rather than assuming a dichotomy of 'undeveloped' and 'developed'.

Very well. Lanos, will you limit the number of your resources - and preferably choose either gold or petrol, not both?

No.

I went through the same thing with Val and he eventually, on IRC, let me have my resources untouched. Some of the oil may go to be refined elsewhere but I keep my oil, my gold, my sugarcane and ethanol fuel capabilities, my uranium, my natural gas, and my other natural resources.

Regnum Albion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Albion » Wed May 28, 2014 12:10 pm

- Post Deleted -
Last edited by Regnum Albion on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed May 28, 2014 1:22 pm

No.

I went through the same thing with Val and he eventually, on IRC, let me have my resources untouched. Some of the oil may go to be refined elsewhere but I keep my oil, my gold, my sugarcane and ethanol fuel capabilities, my uranium, my natural gas, and my other natural resources.

So your once-over with Val convinced you that if you're persistent enough, you'll get to keep all your shiny toys. Why bargain for something if you're going to get it anyway, hey?

Well I can't be pushed around so easily. Regardless of whether you make into Aurora or not, my vote on you is now a very solid no.

First Valerian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby First Valerian Empire » Wed May 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
No.

So your once-over with Val convinced you that if you're persistent enough, you'll get to keep all your shiny toys. Why bargain for something if you're going to get it anyway, hey?

Well I can't be pushed around so easily. Regardless of whether you make into Aurora or not, my vote on you is now a very solid no.

Hey buddy, I made the exact same argument in IRC and surrendered to save my public image.. I get the feeling I'm the bad guy here. Moving on, I'm sure we can find a workable compromise that will satisfy both parties. We like Lanos and I think Lanos likes us so let's work together on this.
The Valyrian Imperium
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩۩۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
''Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them.''

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed May 28, 2014 5:22 pm

First Valerian Empire wrote:...and I think Lanos likes us so let's work together on this.

This is primarily why I'm seeking to join. I know Norvenia from a few years ago when the actual Underium War and Black Saturday happened in August 2011 and Kalumba from Terra Firma. And yes, I did make the population cuts and the move from Afrosia to Aurora Major in order to further solidify my app. prospects. However, I still run into opposition regarding the resources issue. I have the feeling even if I was to switch to some other South American analog my app would still get hell. Let's look at what I claim. I'm using the Mexican economy with the resources of Brazil with a population that is half that of Brazil's and closer to Mexico's but only a few million short (I'm using 101 million). Clearly the Mexican economy is a developing third world economy but it is dwarfed by the United States economy, which uses Mexican and other imports to power it. Since I'm next door to two powerful neighbors, possibly I could rely on them importing a good portion of my stuff while I remain an export-oriented economy? Most likely, yes.

I've cut down from the first app to this one. I don't know what else prevents me from getting in. Lanos can't switch to first world status anytime soon.

First Valerian Empire
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby First Valerian Empire » Wed May 28, 2014 7:07 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
First Valerian Empire wrote:...and I think Lanos likes us so let's work together on this.

This is primarily why I'm seeking to join. I know Norvenia from a few years ago when the actual Underium War and Black Saturday happened in August 2011 and Kalumba from Terra Firma. And yes, I did make the population cuts and the move from Afrosia to Aurora Major in order to further solidify my app. prospects. However, I still run into opposition regarding the resources issue. I have the feeling even if I was to switch to some other South American analog my app would still get hell. Let's look at what I claim. I'm using the Mexican economy with the resources of Brazil with a population that is half that of Brazil's and closer to Mexico's but only a few million short (I'm using 101 million). Clearly the Mexican economy is a developing third world economy but it is dwarfed by the United States economy, which uses Mexican and other imports to power it. Since I'm next door to two powerful neighbors, possibly I could rely on them importing a good portion of my stuff while I remain an export-oriented economy? Most likely, yes.

I've cut down from the first app to this one. I don't know what else prevents me from getting in. Lanos can't switch to first world status anytime soon.

I think this is the root problem right here. Aurora isn't Earth in any shape or form. Aurora is Aurora and everything here is the result of a unique combination of events,people and nations. Your attempting to get into our region as a 2nd-3rd world power with a plethora of natural resources a major military and industrial complex and you want us to be happy about it and accept it no questions asked.

Your not in Aurora so let me put this into perspective for you.

We have two nations above 200 million in population. The average population for a Auroran nation is approximately 74,558,740 again this is approximately because some numbers may be out of date and Miz didn't put his on the Aurorapedia. Your asking to come in as a nation above average with more resources than any other single nation with a military force again above average no matter where you place it(except Europe on the Sea or directly by Norvenia or Steel).

It's my intention and understanding that we aren't trying to change your nation nor your interpretation of your nation but to simply help it meld better in Aurora and ensure that it's realistic and right now it's not. China,Russia, and Brazil are nations that your current application could be compared to with similar resources and corruption problems and we aren't ready for such a nation. We aren't asking for you to handicap yourself but to simply make it a little more realistic Auroran wise. Every question and solution I posed in IRC will be brought up again until A. we agree on one of them or B. you drop out. I personally would love to have your nation here in Aurora however as it stands it will simply not be accepted by the masses and as Norvenia has surely told you, we operate by consensus here not majority.

Think of this as politics; your bill(application) in it's current form can not be passed. So you either amend it so you can achieve the necessary votes and be passed and claim a victory and change or you push it through in it's current form and have it shot down. The question you must ask yourself is; how bad do you want to join our region.

I'm a aye; on Gav's application also.
The Valyrian Imperium
''Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them.''

First Valerian Empire
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby First Valerian Empire » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Lanos has agreed on IRC to the following edits to his app.

He will maintain his oil reserves but will possess limited refining capacity; in addition he will possess respectful reserves of the following resources; copper,lead,timber and zinc. In addition to any resources later discovered with foreign assistance which will be discussed with region at a later date. Population will remain at 101 million and land area is approximately at 2,022,491 km2 or 780,888 sq mi...
The Valyrian Imperium

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 pm

First Valerian Empire wrote:Lanos has agreed on IRC to the following edits to his app.

He will maintain his oil reserves but will possess limited refining capacity; in addition he will possess respectful reserves of the following resources; copper,lead,timber and zinc. In addition to any resources later discovered with foreign assistance which will be discussed with region at a later date. Population will remain at 101 million and land area is approximately at 2,022,491 km2 or 780,888 sq mi...

So he's limited himself (as far as substantial resources are concerned) to petrol, lead, copper, timber, and zinc?
Last edited by Lydenburg on Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Valerian Empire
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby First Valerian Empire » Wed May 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
First Valerian Empire wrote:Lanos has agreed on IRC to the following edits to his app.

So he's limited himself (as far as substantial resources are concerned) to petrol, lead, copper, timber, and zinc?

Aye.. And he lacks the capacity to refine the majority of his extracted petrol..
The Valyrian Imperium

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu May 29, 2014 2:22 pm

What's the final status of my application?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information