NATION

PASSWORD

Applications for Aurora! (Open, MT RPing Region, NO ALTS)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm

Regnum Albion wrote:This question goes out to both Golgothium and Florys:
What do you see as your nation's role in the region? As many applicants have already heard, we have a complex regional dynamic and it would be good to now how you might fit into that or alter it to a certain degree.

I envision Florys to be an important player in international diplomatic and military affairs, it has always been an active factor on the world stage and I enjoy all forms of Roleplay.
As can be expected of a nation who's population has remains socially unchanged for over four centuries, Florys espouses stability above all other virtues, as a result of this, despite remaining strongly politically neutral Florys does hold an politically and military interventionist foreign policy. It is often the instigator of international peace keeping, relief and aid initiatives in foreign lands with the long term goal of rooting stable platforms of democratic governance in these nations.
Economically Florys is a relatively fortunate nation, it's vast natural wealth in the form of horticultural and agricultural exports as well as immense tourism industry fuels the currently booming Florysian Economy. Indeed many a Deliverance banker has refered to the 21st century as the new 'Golden Age' of Florys, as word spreads of the nation across the world, causing it's economy to boon further.

Lydenburg wrote:Florys, can you give us an example of an RP you've participated in?

I'd be happy to:
Catherine's Visit-A character level diplomatic/social interatcion roleplay with one of your own nations Valyria .
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=274867
That Little Winter War or Blood on the Snow-A political and realistic military RP centering about struggle for colonial resources.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=276482
The Wenstevo Trial-Political and legal roleplay centering on the war crimes following an IC war.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=274537
The Shokpo Crisis-My first long term military and political RP, I also added a personal slant on the War by RPing through the eyes of those involved.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=274537
There is a techical term for a tank stranded on the battlefield-A Target!
Armoured Recovery- HM's British Army.

Arete Et Marte-By Skill And Fighting-Cyprus Operational Support Unit.

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:44 pm

Golg - if you have been reading out RMB, then you may notice that we've been having a serious discussion on certain topics related to you, and some of us, myself included, feel it would be best if we could lay them to rest in the open.

Are you, as you consider it to be, a fascist, or possess allegiance to what you consider to be the ideology and agencies of fascism?

Golgothium
Envoy

Founded: Nov 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Golgothium » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:54 am

Aurinsula wrote:Golg - if you have been reading out RMB, then you may notice that we've been having a serious discussion on certain topics related to you, and some of us, myself included, feel it would be best if we could lay them to rest in the open.

Are you, as you consider it to be, a fascist, or possess allegiance to what you consider to be the ideology and agencies of fascism?

EDIT: Would've been more than happy to cut my population down to accommodate existing members' concerns with my application, but I wasn't aware my real-life political affiliations were going to be questioned here. I don't remember that being in the application form. :<

I was under the impression this was strictly RP and IC. I'm no Neo-Fascist or Neo-Nazi IRL. Yes I'm a cultural, civic and fiscal conservative and an Orthodox Christian, but in no way an anti-semite or a racist. Nevertheless if I'm going to be judged by my own convictions here rather than what I can write in-character, I'm afraid I can't really join this region with full confidence.

I'll be withdrawing my application and moving along now. Good day and see you around. :]
Last edited by Golgothium on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Empire of Golgothium
"Honor, Tradition, Industry & Faith."

Hesperia Eschate
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Hesperia Eschate » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 am

I'd like to move my nation to Aurora; this is my application.

Nation Name: Free Land of Hesperia Eschate
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: The Free Land of Hesperia Eschate is ruled by a Supreme Council of ten members with absolute power over the nation; a Consul theoretically rules until death or abdication. The First Consul, Hesperia Eschate's head of state and government, is the Consul that has been in the Supreme Council the longest. Whenever a place on the Supreme Concil is empty, the remaining members elect the former member's replacement among the leaders of the Provincial Councils, that elect their members among the leaders of the various City Councils, that do the same with the most experienced members of the Small Councils. To elect a member of the Small Council, and to be elected, a citizen has to have at least a high school diploma, not have committed any sort of crime in his life, and take an exam about a wide variety of subjects mostly related to government and politics. Losing one's place in a Council is as easy as entering in a Council is hard: committing criminal acts of any kind or behaving immorally is enough to get kicked out of a Council for life (and losing one's right to vote), and the members of a Council can also be voted out by their peers and the members of the Councils immediately below the one the member is in (the people in the case of the Small Councils). Each Council is helped by a Committee made up of experts in various fields, elected among the nation's graduates; the Committees are regularly consulted, and they often indirectly rule Hesperia, especially when a Council member happens to be a former Committee member.
National Leader(s): First Consul Aristòdemo Flaviu Albùpolid
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): Hesperians largely belong to various Caucasian races, even though there is a significant (35%) Asian minority. This ethnic mix is tied together by a common language, the Hesperian Creole, a mostly artificial romance language with heavy Greek influences created during Gallian rule. Hesperians also use a Revolutionary Calendar whose Year 0 is 1824, the year in which the Free Land became independent from Gallia.
Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): Until shortly before Hesperia's independence, most of the population used to be Christian, often Gnostic. The philosophers' Cult of Reason became popular among the leaders of the Revolution, and has been growing in influence ever since, to the point that today more than half of the population either adheres to it, or "normal" agnosticism/atheism. Christianity has become a minority religion, along with religions such as Buddhism, Confucianism and Taoism, mostly practised by the Asian minority.
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): Hesperia Eschate is a vast country rich in natural resources; however, it's sparsely populated and cold: in fact, most of Hesperia's territory is either tundra or ice.
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quirks, etc.): Ever since explorers discovered Aurora's polar regions, the distant Empire of Gallia used the territory of Hesperia Eschate as a dumping ground for every sort of undesirable, rebellious subjects; thousands of people toiled in the Colony of New Brennia's many rich mines for more than a century, until the Empire started deporting the enlightened "philosophers" that were challenging monarchic rule in Gallia; in a few decades, they united the Colony's prisoners against Gallian rule. Using guerrilla tactics, they won their independence in the Revolution, even thanks to a civil war in the Imperial mainland, fueled by ethnic and religious differences, that kept most of Gallia's troops busy. The philosophers became the new state's rulers, enacted several reforms, imposed the artificial Hesperian Creole (a compromise between those who wanted to unite the various ethnicities of the state under a "neutral" language such as Latin or ancient Greek and those that preferred Gallian) as the official language of the nation, and promoted the Cult of Reason. Today, the Free Land of Hesperia Eschate (the name the Colony of New Brennia adopted after independence) has one of the best education systems in the world, and is rich in minerals, oil and fish, that form the backbone of its economy along with heavy industry - even though in the last decades the First Consuls have been trying to diversify the state's economy in a variety of ways.
Roleplaying Example: The First Consul is kind of insane. This is what happened afterwards:

FIRST CONSUL ARISTODEMO: A SLAVER?

Slaver. Slaver. Slaver.

Slaver here, slaver there.

I FREED THOSE FUCKING SLAVES!

Aristòdemo Flaviu of Albùpoli was furious. Just a few days ago, the Supreme Council of the Free Land of Hesperia Eschate had agreed to his proposal: buy some slaves from those Nordic barbarians, and put them to work as free men and women as soon as they set foot in Hesperia; he had talked with the elected leader of the struggling state mine in Dèursu, and he'd been more than happy to know three strong men were going to work for him. Before talking to him, he talked with the leader of the Small Council that supervised the part of Dèursu that mine was in, with that arrogant prick that called himself the First Consul of Dèursu, and that spoiled bitch that seemed to think she owned the Province of the North. They didn't object; their own Councils didn't object either. He did the same for all the other men and women he wanted to free; a whole day talking with people he would have killed with his own bare hands if homicide were legal. For what?

For a heavily distorted version of the facts to leak to the press? Everyone was calling him a slaver now. Oh, he had also been condemned to spend the rest of his life in jail by the Supreme Court, those ten sons of bitches. He had narrowly avoided having his head detached from the rest of his body...

23 Bohlenid, Year 190

The three remaining members of the Supreme Council, Mesalìna Frine Suàquad (Workers' Union), Flavia Atèna Novàpolid (National Party) and Primu Kaesar Novàpolid (National Party) have chosen the members that will replace the former First Consul and those who voted in favor of his controversial decision to ship slaves to Hesperia. They are Odùseu Simon Albùpolid (National Party), Kikero Marcel Castrud (Workers' Union), Iuliu Plato Dèursud (National Party), Livia Sara Albùpolid (New Enlightened Party), Simon Sulla Novàpolid (Workers' Union), Vincent Remu Tuleid (National Party) and Simòna Tomoko Albùpolid (Independent).

The new First Consul, Flavia Atèna Novàpolid, said: "our ancestors weren't slaves, but they weren't free men either: they were as free as their Gallian ovelords allowed them to be - and since we're talking about people sentenced to a life of forced labor, they weren't allowed much freedom. To know that one of us, the First Consul himself, actually did something the leaders of the Colony of New Brennia would have found horrifying, I... it goes against everything we believe in, everything the guides and martyrs of the Revolution believed in. He brought shame over all of Hesperia, and he shall pay for it. As for myself, I promise to be a better First Consul than he ever was, to demonstrate that there are still people that believe in the word of Saint Jacques*.

I swear to guide the Free Land of Hesperia Eschate with Reason. May our descendants look back favourably at my rule."

* The Cult of Reason, in almost two centuries of existence, became the almost-official religion and ideology of Hesperia Eschate, and it shows. Yes, I am fully aware of the fact that my nation is Soviet Revolutionary France in Siberia, with a very noticeable hard on for classical Greece and Rome.

Edit: I'm going to abandon this nation and create a new one, since I am not satisfied with a lot of things about it; I'll re-apply soon.
Last edited by Hesperia Eschate on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esperia Bianca
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Esperia Bianca » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:00 am

As promised, I came back. This is my new application:

Nation Name: Republic of Esperia Bianca
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: The Republic of Esperia Bianca is a federation of semi-independent city-states; the central government manages the nation's economy, diplomacy and military, but the cities have their own leaders and laws. The Republic's legislature is called Consìlio Suprèmo (Supreme Council), whose ten members are picked by lot among the leaders of the City Councils. The members of the Supreme Council, called Senatòri (Senators) elect a Siniòre (Lord) among themselves; he is Esperia Bianca's head of state. The Supreme Council is aided by a Comitàto (Committee) of experts in various fields of governance that is consulted before every decision. Lords and Senators theoretically serve for life, but getting kicked out of the Supreme Council is extremely easy: being found guilty of any kind of crime or behaving immorally is enough for a member of the Supreme Council to lose his seat and the right to vote - only people with a high school diploma that haven't been found guilty of any crime or immorality and passed an exam about various subjects mostly related to the art of governance, economy, internal and foreign policy that every Esperian has to take every 6 years can vote for their representatives and leaders, the Capitàni (Captains) in the City Councils, and be elected, every 3 years. The members of the Committees - those of the Supreme Council and those of the City Councils - are elected for life among the university graduates knowledgeable about their respective fields. The Supreme Council can force a law on the whole country, regardless of the degree of autonomy of the cities, if at least a third of the population petitions for some law to be made, changed or abolished, and more than half of the people who decide to vote for or against the law, vote for it.
National Leader(s): Lord Cesare Eco
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): More than half of the population of Esperia Bianca (60%) is Italian, but there is an important Asian minority (Japanese and Korean) that makes up the 37% of the population - all of these ethnic groups speak Esperia's version of Italian as their mother tongue. The remaining 3% is the amount of people that don't speak Esperian Italian as their first language, mainly because they're recent immigrants. Esperia uses a Revolutionary Calendar whose Year 0 is 1824, the year in which it became independent.
Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): Until a few years after the Revolution, most Esperians used to be Gnostic Christians. However, the Revolution's leaders and their successors promoted the anti-clerical Cult of Reason so much that now it's the de facto state religion and ideology: more than half of the population (52%) subscribes to it or standard agnosticism/atheism. 28% of the population is Christian (mostly Gnostic), and 15% of Esperians are Buddhist, Confucian, Taoist or Shintoist - there's a high level of syncretism among those religions. 5% of the population adheres to other religions, mostly neo-Paganism and Hinduism.
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): Esperia is a vast country rich in natural resources; however, it's sparsely populated and cold: in fact, most of Hesperia's territory is either tundra or ice.
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quirks, etc.): Reman explorers first discovered the coasts of Aurora centuries ago. Colonists arrived shortly after, mostly exiles and refugees from the endless wars that the Reman city-states waged among themselves; some groups of colonists accidentally reached the northern, icy shores of the continent, and ironically, only their cities survived, while all the other settlements succumbed to war, disease, famine and foreign conquerors. But the Empire of Gallia, a couple of centuries afterwards, found the city-states in north Aurora, and conquered the region hoping to exploit its rich mines with the forced labor of local and Gallian dissidents. A hundred years later, some of those dissidents - ethnic Gallians that challenged absolutist rule in the name of reason, and some Esperians - united the people against Imperial rule and won their independence after a four year war mostly fought with guerrilla tactics. The city-states of old united under a single flag, after heated debates. Today, Esperia Bianca has one of the best education systems in the world, and is rich in minerals, oil and fish, that form the backbone of its economy along with heavy industry - even though in the last decades the Lords have been trying to diversify the state's economy in a variety of ways.
Roleplaying Example: I think the ones I posted before can still count...?
Last edited by Esperia Bianca on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

Kalumba
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 am

The thing that is concerning me, and I assume everyone else, is the lack of RPing experience. The quality is of some concern to me, but not really a major issue, it is the lack of participation in long running RPs and the ability to see how you operate in one in both an IC and OOC manner that is concerning. Do you have any other RP samples?
Last edited by Kalumba on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
The Colonial Crisis viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138755
-St George wrote:Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.
San-Silvacian wrote:
Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.

Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.

Baptism of Fire 43 Champions
A Luta Continua

Esperia Bianca
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Esperia Bianca » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 am

Kalumba wrote:The thing that is concerning me, and I assume everyone else, is the lack of RPing experience. The quality is of some concern to me, but not really a major issue, it is the lack of participation in long running RPs and the ability to see how you operate in one in both an IC and OOC manner that is concerning. Do you have any other RP samples?

Well, I'm about to take part in some RPs (Spartakiad, Curling Championship, World Hit Festival) so in a few days I will have enough material. I'm still waiting for some good new political RP posts to pop up on the forum, I'll surely post in one as soon as it appears.

If what I posted isn't enough, wait for a few days and I'll show you some stuff.
Last edited by Esperia Bianca on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:59 am

Esperia Bianca wrote:
Kalumba wrote:The thing that is concerning me, and I assume everyone else, is the lack of RPing experience. The quality is of some concern to me, but not really a major issue, it is the lack of participation in long running RPs and the ability to see how you operate in one in both an IC and OOC manner that is concerning. Do you have any other RP samples?

Well, I'm about to take part in some RPs (Spartakiad, Curling Championship, World Hit Festival) so in a few days I will have enough material. I'm still waiting for some good new political RP posts to pop up on the forum, I'll surely post in one as soon as it appears.

If what I posted isn't enough, wait for a few days and I'll show you some stuff.

Please do; we look forward to it.

Esperia Bianca
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Esperia Bianca » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 am

Aurinsula wrote:Please do; we look forward to it.

I am RPing a diplomatic conference right now, if the thread doesn't die I will post it soon. The musical/sport RPs seem kinda dead, so I had to go for it.

I also noticed that the anarchist/communist nations in Aurora underwent regime changes, so I'm thinking about adding to the backstory of my country something about how the masses, dissatisfied with the de facto oligarchic rule, recently revolted against the central government and turned Esperia Bianca into an anarcho-communist "state". You know, just because the region is kinda right wing, and needs some diversity. ^^ However, it would be an almost entirely neutral nation not that big on exporting the revolution and careful to maintain good relations with its neighbours - having a small population, a weak military, a lot of natural resources and an anarcho-communist regime in a region not that supporting of either Marx or Kropotkin would make every state an obvious target for foreign imperialistic powers if it suddenly turned against them.
Last edited by Esperia Bianca on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:55 am

Esperia Bianca wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Please do; we look forward to it.

I am RPing a diplomatic conference right now, if the thread doesn't die I will post it soon. The musical/sport RPs seem kinda dead, so I had to go for it.

I also noticed that the anarchist/communist nations in Aurora underwent regime changes, so I'm thinking about adding to the backstory of my country something about how the masses, dissatisfied with the de facto oligarchic rule, recently revolted against the central government and turned Esperia Bianca into an anarcho-communist "state". You know, just because the region is kinda right wing, and needs some diversity. ^^ However, it would be an almost entirely neutral nation not that big on exporting the revolution and careful to maintain good relations with its neighbours - having a small population, a weak military, a lot of natural resources and an anarcho-communist regime in a region not that supporting of either Marx or Kropotkin would make every state an obvious target for foreign imperialistic powers if it suddenly turned against them.

I say go for it. We actually have one or those (or something like it - my anarcho-* terminology isn't quite up to snuff any more) in the form of Mediterranea, so at least you'll have some company.

Esperia Bianca
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Esperia Bianca » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:46 am

Aurinsula wrote:
Esperia Bianca wrote:

I say go for it. We actually have one or those (or something like it - my anarcho-* terminology isn't quite up to snuff any more) in the form of Mediterranea, so at least you'll have some company.

I thought they became a military dictatorship in all but name?

Norvenia
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Florys, thanks to Val's strong support, your nation is under serious consideration for admission. Personally, before I make up my mind one way or the other, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

Every nation has problems. The more powerful the nation, the more serious those problems are. Norvenia, for example, is almost pathologically bad at diplomacy; we wander around insulting just about everybody, usually without realizing it, and so alienate more or less everyone who isn't inescapably aligned with us by geopolitics or ideology. That's a big flaw.

I wonder what the flaws of Florys are? You've described it as a stable, fairly powerful country, where more or less everyone is happy and the government is able to act with a free hand at home and abroad. That's all well and good, but that many blessings never come without a few curses. What does Florys struggle with? What are its challenges, its flaws? What dangers loom on the horizon?

Second, a more pragmatic question. Few nations in Aurora have more than a hundred million people. With that in mind, how large in population is Florys? And what is its rough level of human development?

Third, a question about government. I have examined your fact book, but I remain perplexed by the division of powers between elected and unelected officials in government. Is the Grand Duke a ceremonial position, or one of actual power? How is power divided between the Premier and the Duke? And do the Elector Counts have to approve legislation passed by the MDPs before it becomes law? In other words: can unelected officials keep elected officials from governing the country as they see fit? Is this a fully democratic government with ceremonial undemocratic elements, or a government in which the voters' control of their government is genuinely limited by the will of a hereditary aristocracy?

There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. I just want to know more about how your nation works in down-to-earth, practical terms before I cast my vote.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Esperia Bianca wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:I say go for it. We actually have one or those (or something like it - my anarcho-* terminology isn't quite up to snuff any more) in the form of Mediterranea, so at least you'll have some company.

There's a gradual takeover currently in process. It's up to you; both concepts are interesting. From where I stand, your writing is up to snuff, although to my eyes your writing here is substantially better than much of your work in RPs; that, if anything, just makes me more confident in your abilities. I'd like you to give a population estimate and, if you decide to go the anarcho-communist route, to offer a more complete description of the post-revolutionary state of your country. But you have my preliminary support.

Esperia Bianca
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Esperia Bianca » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:39 am

Norvenia wrote:
Esperia Bianca wrote:

There's a gradual takeover currently in process. It's up to you; both concepts are interesting. From where I stand, your writing is up to snuff, although to my eyes your writing here is substantially better than much of your work in RPs; that, if anything, just makes me more confident in your abilities. I'd like you to give a population estimate and, if you decide to go the anarcho-communist route, to offer a more complete description of the post-revolutionary state of your country. But you have my preliminary support.

I am perfectly aware of how my RP writing is worse than my normal writing; I like writing, but whenever I have to do something creative, my writing skills become worse - I have attempted to write fanfiction and even novels, but they always turn out horrible; on the other hand, when I stick to facts, for example when writing essays, well, I've been compared to a famous journalist more than once. I guess I just need practice, and I'm sure not being a native English speaker has a lot to do with it, too.

My country's population... when I first thought about Esperia Bianca, I had the far north in mind - a land as big as Greenland or the northern Canadian provinces, with a similar population density: it would be home to 56.000, 73.000 or 129.000 people, depending on whether it's as big as northern Canada (Northwest Territories + Nunavut), Greenland or both.

The state of Esperia Bianca after the revolution is this: the revolutionaries sought to abolish the state, capitalism, wages, and private property (but not personal property) and imposed the common ownership of the means of production - this means that the former Republic's businesses and workplaces are now collectively owned by the workers themselves, organized in councils where everyone can have a say about how their workplace is run, and in which decisions are taken if all those who attend the council agree with someone's proposal. Money has also been almost entirely abolished, and replaced by a barter economy. However, complete autonomy, in a land as vast and barren as Esperia, is almost impossible: this is why the Workers' Councils have organized themselves in federations whose aim is the gathering and redistribution of resources across the country.

The Informal Council for Redistribution and Trade is the leader of this horizontal web of federations; it is also the only entity allowed to engage in money-based trade with foreign polities. To prevent this council to have too much power over the nation, it changes members and location every 3 months. It often works hand in hand with the Informal Council for Diplomacy and Foreign Relations, that manages the Federation's foreign policy - out of simple pragmatism, Esperia has adopted peaceful neutrality, not harsh isolationism. This council changes members and location every 3 months as well, and it can't share members and location with the other council. The army has been abolished as well, as a tool of oppression.

However, Esperians know they have to know how to defend themselves - that's why every city, every council organizes military training for every able-bodied comrade of either gender between the ages of 16 and 56, and every family has at least a weapon at home; in case of foreign aggression, the Informal Council for Defense and Protection, powerless and unarmed in times of peace, will elect temporary military leaders among its members, and the People's Revolutionary Militia will be recreated. It is de facto forbidden to use weapons outside of training, self defense, work or sport - even though Esperia Bianca doesn't have formal courts or jails anymore, there are some unwritten laws everyone respects, the councils can also double as popular courts, and (unarmed) vigilantism is quite widespread.

Esperia Bianca could seem like Karl Marx's or Mikhail Bakunin's wet dream, however it is not free from problems: some of the reactionaries that survived the spontaneous popular purges have founded councils and settlements that are enclaves of the old oligarchic order in anarchist territory in everything but name, taking advantage of the anarchist system itself, and its ideological reluctance to use violence; these enclaves are closely monitored and out-gunned by the anarchists, and they haven't caused any trouble, but a lot of people fear that they could try to contact foreign powers to restore the old ways. The popular court and vigilantism combination, while effective to the point crime is mostly unknown in Esperia, has caused de facto pseudo-military dictatorships to arise in those Esperian regions that were once the most affected by crime. The nature of the councils themselves has made relatively easy for charismatic, popular figures to become the councils' unofficial leaders.
Last edited by Esperia Bianca on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 am

Norvenia wrote:Florys, thanks to Val's strong support, your nation is under serious consideration for admission. Personally, before I make up my mind one way or the other, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

Every nation has problems. The more powerful the nation, the more serious those problems are. Norvenia, for example, is almost pathologically bad at diplomacy; we wander around insulting just about everybody, usually without realizing it, and so alienate more or less everyone who isn't inescapably aligned with us by geopolitics or ideology. That's a big flaw.

I wonder what the flaws of Florys are? You've described it as a stable, fairly powerful country, where more or less everyone is happy and the government is able to act with a free hand at home and abroad. That's all well and good, but that many blessings never come without a few curses. What does Florys struggle with? What are its challenges, its flaws? What dangers loom on the horizon?

Second, a more pragmatic question. Few nations in Aurora have more than a hundred million people. With that in mind, how large in population is Florys? And what is its rough level of human development?

Third, a question about government. I have examined your fact book, but I remain perplexed by the division of powers between elected and unelected officials in government. Is the Grand Duke a ceremonial position, or one of actual power? How is power divided between the Premier and the Duke? And do the Elector Counts have to approve legislation passed by the MDPs before it becomes law? In other words: can unelected officials keep elected officials from governing the country as they see fit? Is this a fully democratic government with ceremonial undemocratic elements, or a government in which the voters' control of their government is genuinely limited by the will of a hereditary aristocracy?

There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. I just want to know more about how your nation works in down-to-earth, practical terms before I cast my vote.

1.)
Though the Florysian administration often can be seen attempting to operate abroad as it would at home, this does not mean it is truly free to do so. No nation takes kindly to foreign interventionists knocking at their door, especially the ones the government of Florys is most desperate to stabilize. This stance on 'International Stability Assurance' as the policy is known, has earned Florys plenty of enemies and a countless army of critics on the international stage, often accusing the Grand Duchy of imperialism and acting out of it's own jurisdiction. It has also given it's population a rather unpleasant stereotype as aloof meddlers who want to shape the world in their own image, an image the rest of the world all to often does not share.
Also, although the mainstream Florysian media and indeed the general population try to ignore the fact, the culture of Florys is intrinsically slanted in favour of the aristocracy. Sure the electorate has more representatives and yes, the elected Premier holds equal if not greater power in the Dual Parliament but how can people have such wealth justified by the circumstances of birth? And why are, as so many Florysians say are 'The Old Ways, The Best Ways'? Despite the seemingly quaint exterior, Florys is a hotbed of political subtleties, backstabbing and power games, played between the classes, and indeed, within the echelons of society. A game so far, that has remained relatively unknown, how long it will stay that way, is another matter entirely.
As many a foreign observer says when remarking on Florys, 'Isn't it all a little too perfect?'

2.)
I have always envisioned the Grand Duchy to have both a similar population and human development level to a western European nation, similar to say Germany or France. I believe a population of approx 60,500,000 would be fair, with equal development to a 'First World' country, this would keep Florys a fair distance from the hundred million mark of your higher tier nations, but still justify the reasonably high human development level and relatively stable economy.

3.)The Grand Duke is a semi-official role that despite it's ancient title, first bestowed in the 17th century, contains a considerable amount of power. No law can be passed without his signature, all official declarations of war, cease-fire and states of emergency must be cosigned by him, alongside the Premier, and on the international platform, he represents Florys as an apolitical figurehead and state leader.
Regarding the division of power, legislation may be drafted by either of the Dual Parliament's tiers, however it must pass at least 60% in the proposing house and 50% in the other house.
Elector Counts do, however, have the final say on any local events, laws and legislature in their individual districts acting much the part of a state governor in a fully fledged democracy, closely advised by his/her MDPs

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Florys
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Florys » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:26 am

Please let me know if you need any more answers/details about any aspect of my nation.

#TalkNerdyToMe.

Adili
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Adili » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Nation Name: Federal Republic of Adili
Nation's Form of Government/Ideology: Federal Presidential Republic
National Leader(s): President James Pike
Brief Description of Nation's Culture(s): Combination of American and Braziliam
Brief Description of Nation's Religion(s): All major religions except judaism
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): Very Hot, average temperature is 78 Fahrenheit
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Adili has a mixed market economy, and would be considered an emerging power IRL.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that doe.]: See Winovia
Notes [Questions, comments, requests, etc.]:

For more detailed information, just ask and I'll post anything you need.
Last edited by Adili on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Adili wrote:
Rough Climate/Topography of Nation (to help determine where on the map you might want to be): Very Hot, average temperature is 78 Fahrenheit
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Adili has a mixed market economy, and would be considered a world power IRL.
Roleplaying Example [Note: this is VERY IMPORTANT. A sample must be at least 3 paragraphs, well-written, with proper spelling and grammar. The more samples, the better. If you have written nothing that matches these criteria, please write a new sample here that doe.]: See Winovia

You did, I hope, see our "no alts " policy in the title of the thread?
Last edited by Aurinsula on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adili
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Adili » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:49 am

Aurinsula wrote:
Adili wrote:
Additional Description of Nation (economics, recent history, major characters, special quicks, etc.): Adili has a mixed market economy, and would be considered a world power IRL.

You did, I hope, see our "no alts " policy in the title of the thread?

So that means no puppets?

Kalumba
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalumba » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 am

Adili wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:You did, I hope, see our "no alts " policy in the title of the thread?

So that means no puppets?

Yes, no puppets. We want people who are going to commit fully to the region not hang around for a few RPs then go inactive.
Unilateral Declaration of Indifference viewtopic.php?f=23&t=111178 - Honestly Kalumba has no interest in you or your problems.
Looking for a PMT RP, no godmoding, etc. Come and help Zimbabwe-Rhodesia defeat the Soviets in Africa viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116682
The Colonial Crisis viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138755
-St George wrote:Pedantry, thy name is Kalumba.
San-Silvacian wrote:
Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.

Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.

Baptism of Fire 43 Champions
A Luta Continua

Adili
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Adili » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:15 am

Kalumba wrote:
Adili wrote:So that means no puppets?

Yes, no puppets. We want people who are going to commit fully to the region not hang around for a few RPs then go inactive.

I intend to be very active and commit to the region fully. I put as much time into my puppets as I do with my main nation, i ask that you at least give me a chance to prove myself.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:45 am

Adili wrote:
Kalumba wrote:Yes, no puppets. We want people who are going to commit fully to the region not hang around for a few RPs then go inactive.

I intend to be very active and commit to the region fully. I put as much time into my puppets as I do with my main nation, i ask that you at least give me a chance to prove myself.

Frankly, we are definitely not going to accept a new "world power" status regional force with eleven posts that is a puppet too boot. Sorry, mate.

Adili
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Adili » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:56 am

Norvenia wrote:
Adili wrote:I intend to be very active and commit to the region fully. I put as much time into my puppets as I do with my main nation, i ask that you at least give me a chance to prove myself.

Frankly, we are definitely not going to accept a new "world power" status regional force with eleven posts that is a puppet too boot. Sorry, mate.

Have you looked at my main nation? I also changed that to say emerging power instead of world power.
Last edited by Adili on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norvenia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Norvenia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:03 am

Adili wrote:
Norvenia wrote:
Frankly, we are definitely not going to accept a new "world power" status regional force with eleven posts that is a puppet to boot. Sorry, mate.

Have you looked at my main nation? I also changed that to say emerging power instead of world power.

Your main nation isn't relevant, because it is not the nation that you are applying with. Neither, honestly, is your power level. Understand: we have never accepted an alt of someone outside Aurora. If you want us even to consider this, then you have to give us some reason why you, above and beyond all other players on NS, deserve this unique treatment.

Adili
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Adili » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:10 am

Norvenia wrote:
Adili wrote:Have you looked at my main nation? I also changed that to say emerging power instead of world power.

Your main nation isn't relevant, because it is not the nation that you are applying with. Neither, honestly, is your power level. Understand: we have never accepted an alt of someone outside Aurora. If you want us even to consider this, then you have to give us some reason why you, above and beyond all other players on NS, deserve this unique treatment.

My main nation is quite relevant since it is the nation that I have RPed with, i have never RPed with this nation. Like I stated before ask me questions or request information and I will provide it, I alwo have nor problem with RPing a hypothetical.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information