NATION

PASSWORD

Main Military Weapon of your Country: Pattern VIII (Read OP)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP MMW Number 9?

Nua Corda
39%
Kouralia
13%
Spreewerke
24%
Coltarin
11%
Aqizithiuda
13%

Total votes : 193

The Unified Intelligence Taskforce
Civilian

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Unified Intelligence Taskforce » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 am

No doubt, the L1A2 'Self Loading Rifle', which, among a slew of rail interface additions, is chambered in 7x43mm:

United Republics of Aralon
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 am

Spreewerke wrote:
Black Hand wrote:Cost and heat dispersion of the armor the examples I have worn got Really hot really fast (Interceptor and Vietnam Flak jacket) also what about Multiple round survival and stab protection.
EDIT: what about dogs will It stop a dog bite, terrify me more than Firearms.

Dogs are not a big worry unless you panic.

They are. They can be very unpredictable. There is such a thing as an idiotic dog and they are frequent. I got"attacked" by one. The f@kker just launched at me like a rocket. I shut a door on myself, and then I peek out to see that the foolish creature is completely calm It just wanted to get to know me, just left out all the usual dog body language.This ended well but I have been attacked by dogs for no reason two other times(those were serious),but I have never got bitten. I was lucky and I'm good with animals, I managed to scare them away, but it was a close call both times.
-I admittedly suk at typing.-
Liberal-Social Democrat, I believe a social net is necessary and that income tax above 25% is unethical as is VAT over 20%
unhelpful definition of the year award, by Cowardly Pacifist
Allies: The Mikill-Jarlhold of Ulfr-Reich
Raise awareness of the Mean World Syndrome! Spread the word!https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_world_syndrome
Igitur, qui legis haec lineas, iustus consumpta quinque minutes ut instar sicco contumeliam,ego magnopere respiciunt tibi, fili canis.

Neo Crystillaeia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Crystillaeia » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:16 am

United Republics of Aralon wrote:They are. They can be very unpredictable. There is such a thing as an idiotic dog and they are frequent. I got"attacked" by one. The f@kker just launched at me like a rocket. I shut a door on myself, and then I peek out to see that the foolish creature is completely calm It just wanted to get to know me, just left out all the usual dog body language.This ended well but I have been attacked by dogs for no reason two other times(those were serious),but I have never got bitten. I was lucky and I'm good with animals, I managed to scare them away, but it was a close call both times.

I'll have to consider adding attack dogs to my military.
How exactly would rendering me unarmed and defenseless protect you from violent criminals?
Proud Member Observer of the INAF
NS in a nutshell
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
my national anthem, my nation's battle march and Today's weather
[ ]DEFCON 1
[ ]DEFCON 2
[ ]DEFCON 3
[ ]DEFCON 4
[+]DEFCON 5

Black Hand
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

Spreewerke wrote:
Black Hand wrote:Cost and heat dispersion of the armor the examples I have worn got Really hot really fast (Interceptor and Vietnam Flak jacket) also what about Multiple round survival and stab protection.
EDIT: what about dogs will It stop a dog bite, terrify me more than Firearms.

Ok I have experience fighting people just not dogs and well dogs are Fast, have locking jaws and, well

If you say there not dangerous though I won't worry about them.
(also how do you name a spoiler?)
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
I live in a World all my own.
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Sight rib? Like a barbecue?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

San-Silvacian wrote:Nothing says I love you like a fine Belgian firearm.

Bezombia wrote: "glorious discharge"

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

Neo Crystillaeia wrote:
United Republics of Aralon wrote:They are. They can be very unpredictable. There is such a thing as an idiotic dog and they are frequent. I got"attacked" by one. The f@kker just launched at me like a rocket. I shut a door on myself, and then I peek out to see that the foolish creature is completely calm It just wanted to get to know me, just left out all the usual dog body language.This ended well but I have been attacked by dogs for no reason two other times(those were serious),but I have never got bitten. I was lucky and I'm good with animals, I managed to scare them away, but it was a close call both times.

I'll have to consider adding attack dogs to my military.

Same Idea popped up as I was writing the comment. And mine clearing goat herds.(I hate goats!) Just herd them on the mines wait 5 minutes and collect the pre-fried kebab.
Liberal-Social Democrat, I believe a social net is necessary and that income tax above 25% is unethical as is VAT over 20%
Raise awareness of the Mean World Syndrome! Spread the word!https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_world_syndrome
Igitur, qui legis haec lineas, iustus consumpta quinque minutes ut instar sicco contumeliam,ego magnopere respiciunt tibi, fili canis.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Puzikas wrote:Anyone have any questions I might be able to answer in my post?

Were there steel/titanium plates in Soviet body armor during the 1980s?

That I cant tell you a lot about, I'd have to ask my father about that, so when I get that I'll tell you.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:22 am

Puzikas wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Were there steel/titanium plates in Soviet body armor during the 1980s?

That I cant tell you a lot about, I'd have to ask my father about that, so when I get that I'll tell you.

Ok. Just wondering about that thanks to a book by the Russian General Staff about the Soviet-Afghan War and previous interest. Haven't found much on Soviet body armor anyways.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:22 am

Black Hand wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:

Ok I have experience fighting people just not dogs and well dogs are Fast, have locking jaws and, well

If you say there not dangerous though I won't worry about them.
(also how do you name a spoiler?)

They are dangerous. There are a lot of wandering half wild dogs in my country, and a lot of half wild dogs of stupid owners(lots of stupid owners). Nasty things can happen. 4-5 Dogs can kill an unarmed man.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 am

United Republics of Aralon wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:

They are. They can be very unpredictable. There is such a thing as an idiotic dog and they are frequent. I got"attacked" by one. The f@kker just launched at me like a rocket. I shut a door on myself, and then I peek out to see that the foolish creature is completely calm It just wanted to get to know me, just left out all the usual dog body language.This ended well but I have been attacked by dogs for no reason two other times(those were serious),but I have never got bitten. I was lucky and I'm good with animals, I managed to scare them away, but it was a close call both times.

The last time I had a dog lunge at me, the butt of a K2 set it straight. ;)

Unless rabid or otherwise cornered/vicious-by-training, a dog will be more afraid of you than you are (or should be) of it. Know how those big guys in high school were all talk, no fight? That is the exact same way dogs are. If you let them screw with you, they will. Show them you give zero fucks (like that time I bit one: not as epic as it sounds, though, unfortunately), they will stop immediately.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 am

Spreewerke wrote:

The last time I had a dog lunge at me, the butt of a K2 set it straight. ;)

Unless rabid or otherwise cornered/vicious-by-training, a dog will be more afraid of you than you are (or should be) of it. Know how those big guys in high school were all talk, no fight? That is the exact same way dogs are. If you let them screw with you, they will. Show them you give zero fucks (like that time I bit one: not as epic as it sounds, though, unfortunately), they will stop immediately.

As I said I managed to scare them, away but it wasn't easy I don't get to carry around K2s unfortunately. I don't know what was more frightening to them, the stones I hit them with or the breathtaking range of colorful obscenities I shouted at them.

Ulfr-Reich
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:06 am

I Finally got the stats on the GEV-85T done.

Det Gevaer:

Another development in Ulfran firearm technologies. Utilizing both Fordorsian "line-in" hard-point reinforced Receiver technology and some of the latest in Ulfran manufacturing techniques. With a re-structured magazine well, a re-designed gas system and a highly convenient addition of sights derived from the highly venerated FN-FAL series of rifles, the final addition of a left-folding folding-stock and a longer barrel with match-grade rifling so as to increase the spin and velocity of the munitions fired truly seem to "make" the rifle. Having been received with immense praise from both officers and infantry amongst haersmann, the GEV-SL (Self-loader) series of rifle seemed to be achieveing mechanical perfection (close enough to it anyway). Many foreign non Ulfheim-native militaries have viewed it as "grossly destructive" due to the levels of gross-tissue damage caused by the high velocity and large bore of the cartridge used, the very fact that it can be used on fully automatic has been cause for alarm in some cases when US, UK or other "Allied" nations have had time to deal with it. Several requests have gone in for an anti-dire wolf/smilodon DMR variant to be made available for rear-guard units in foreign armies due to how quickly it brought down Smilodon packs encrouching upon allied units during the third North American War (CSA, Cal-Republic, Union, with Deseret acting like a North American Switzerland (all of this happening during 1988-1999). In the long-run, the GEV-85T has been deemed "The final modification and upgrading of the GEV-SL rifle-series's mechanical action." by the Ulfranes Haer Quartermasters Guild. Any future models of the rifle may either be in a bullpup configuration, have newer alloys and metal-formulas involved in construction and potentially new stock component and/or sights.

Name: GEV-85TCartridge:

10.93x57mm Hrafn

Magazine Capacity: 30

Action: Tilting-Bolt, Gas-Operated; Select Fire (Semi-Auto, Fully Automatic)

Rate of Fire: 784 rounds/min

Muzzle Velocity: 2,844 f/s

Sights: Sjollak M81 Rifle-Sights
Asatruar (bloody-well proud of it) | Ethnogeography & Migratory Anthropology/Linguistics Researcher (In my spare time) | Actual Jarlist| And yes, I am vehemently anti-pony/brony | Borderline FanT/NightmareT, very Norse/Proto-Germanic/Gothic| Æþalatsheim = http://www.nationstates.net/nation=aethal.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 am

Ulfr-Reich wrote:I Finally got the stats on the GEV-85T done.

Det Gevaer:
(Image)

Another development in Ulfran firearm technologies. Utilizing both Fordorsian "line-in" hard-point reinforced Receiver technology and some of the latest in Ulfran manufacturing techniques. With a re-structured magazine well, a re-designed gas system and a highly convenient addition of sights derived from the highly venerated FN-FAL series of rifles, the final addition of a left-folding folding-stock and a longer barrel with match-grade rifling so as to increase the spin and velocity of the munitions fired truly seem to "make" the rifle. Having been received with immense praise from both officers and infantry amongst haersmann, the GEV-SL (Self-loader) series of rifle seemed to be achieveing mechanical perfection (close enough to it anyway). Many foreign non Ulfheim-native militaries have viewed it as "grossly destructive" due to the levels of gross-tissue damage caused by the high velocity and large bore of the cartridge used, the very fact that it can be used on fully automatic has been cause for alarm in some cases when US, UK or other "Allied" nations have had time to deal with it. Several requests have gone in for an anti-dire wolf/smilodon DMR variant to be made available for rear-guard units in foreign armies due to how quickly it brought down Smilodon packs encrouching upon allied units during the third North American War (CSA, Cal-Republic, Union, with Deseret acting like a North American Switzerland (all of this happening during 1988-1999). In the long-run, the GEV-85T has been deemed "The final modification and upgrading of the GEV-SL rifle-series's mechanical action." by the Ulfranes Haer Quartermasters Guild. Any future models of the rifle may either be in a bullpup configuration, have newer alloys and metal-formulas involved in construction and potentially new stock component and/or sights.

Name: GEV-85TCartridge:

10.93x57mm Hrafn

Magazine Capacity: 30

Action: Tilting-Bolt, Gas-Operated; Select Fire (Semi-Auto, Fully Automatic)

Rate of Fire: 784 rounds/min

Muzzle Velocity: 2,844 f/s

Sights: Sjollak M81 Rifle-Sights

What do you use to absorb recoil from that monster of a cartridge? Power armor?

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 am

San-Silvacian wrote:
Ulfr-Reich wrote:

What is this, North Fucking Korea?

NO!

THIS IS MAIN MILITARY WEAPON OF YOUR COUNTRY: PATTERN VIII (READ OP).

NORTH KOREA IS A SUN HAPPY FUNTIME CAMP COMPARED TO MMW

It now lives on forever in my sig.
For glory.

Time for another:
Jesus, Puzikas, Don't You Have a Life?
no.

Now presenting: Body armor!
Lets start with the basics.

Body armor has been around for centuries, but it has not been since the early 1900s* that we start to see what we call modern body armor, AKA "Bullet proof vests". The earliest example I can find of this happens to be in 1916 in terms of "Bullet proof vests", and like most cool things, they come from the Germans, as well as the Americans.
German soldiers wearing body armor (Infanterie-Panzer) link to full image provided below

These early vests were primitive, low level, heavy, and could really only stop lower-powered bullets, fragmentation, and blades. The one outlyer in this is the US made Brewster Body Shield, weighing in at 18kg, it was able to stop a lewis gun bullet at 2,700 feet per second/ We will not focus on this, however. These vests also had to be purchased by a soldier, an often very expensive ordeal (1914 price of a bullet proof fabric vest: $800 USD, or $18068.56 today.) But they were, strangely enough, effective for their purpose. Not to say they did anything to cut casualties (Because most modern body armor cant stop .303 Brit, .30-06, 8mm Lebel, 7x57/7.92x57) but it still was a precursor for the things to come. The great war ended up being not-so-great, and many, many nations following the war were in something of an arms race to make the next great thing. Trench clearing, barb wire blasting, gas attacking, whatever it was, people were developing it. And body armor was no different. In the 20s and 30s, body armor started to be used a bit more, but by gangsters. They could stop rounds from .22lr up to lower end loading (Like used by the FBI) of .45ACP.
Body armor in use, vs. .38 Special, 1923

This lead to the popular use of hotter (What became standard by WWII) loads of .45ACP, as well as the .357 magnum and .38 Super rounds. By the second world war, body armor was still in its infancy. Not quite yet ready to be deployed en-mass, but not quite silent in its hand. The First Flak jackets were issued to US and British airmen. These were designed to stop fragmentation from the german Flak guns, which filled the air with a dreadful cloud of shrapnel. They were not bullet proof by any means, but still notable as body armor. The Soviets actually developed the best example of body armor, the SN-42 (Stalynoi Nagrudnik, Steel breastplate/ Chest plate of Steel).
SN-42 body Armor
It weighed a (relativity) low 3.5kg, as was able to stop the German 9x19 caliber round at engagement distances, making it useful for urban combat. It was also issued to Tankodesantniki, the guys that jump off tanks, and SHISBr (assault engineers). Its weight, however, restricted its use in the open per Soviet doctrine, and it was limited to that. It was abe to stop 7.92x33 at about 200 meters. The Japanese and all their wacky selves also developed body armor samples that saw use, but I wont get into it because it reminds me of a turtle. The British also issued suits in small numbers, an assault suit weighing 1.8kg that would reliably stop fragmentation and 9mm bullets, and a 4.6kg vest for static soldiers that could reliably stop lower powered bullets as well. No word on how well it stopped 7.92x33. I believe the stated issued number was 500,000 1.8kg vests, and 100,000 4.6kg vests. The US later got in on the act by issuing an armor set that proved to be effective in 1945 at the battle of Okinawa, and onto Korea.

In Korea, the US was issuing body armor on a larger scale, known as the M1951. It used fiber-reinforced plastic/aluminium bits, that were woven into a nylon vest. While stated as being able to stop the 7.62x25 Tokerav at muzzle, I laugh at such claims, as 7.62x25 is the rape train of the pistol world. By Vietnam, the US was issuing Flak en-mass and body armor to soldiers in high risk areas, normally about what we consider to be a level II system. This stuff can be gotten surplus second hand for anywhere from $50 to $200.

Modern body armor relies on Small Arms Protective Insert (SAPI) plates and trauma plates to protect the user from harm. They are often used in conjunction with assault vests. They can be very heavy, bulky, and hinder moment in many cases.

Now, you all wanted me to go over Russian body armor. So I will.

For all purposes, Russian body armor is very similar to Western armor. Is has plate inserts, vests, webbing, so on and so forth. Its just as bulky and it works just as well, or its just as crummy and fits all the same. Primary materials are the same as any Western plate, sometimes with various differences (For example, heavy use of polyethylene in heavy plates, and alumina for lighter). It offers great protection, just the same as anything else. I'm going to focus on a few different sets.

Rather than go in depth on the soviet plates of the 50s, 60s and 70s, Im going to just touch on them.

Developed off of the SN-42 and the like, many were closer to an afterthought than real armor. In the 70s and 80s is when they started to get serious. Afghanistan generated the need for plates to protect against small arms fire at extended ranges (Because mountainous area). An early, pre Afghanistan example would be the 6B1, able to stop fragmentation, and able to stop a PPSH-41 fired 7.62x25 at 50 meters. Only a few were made, and if a threat were to arise, more would be manufactured.

The 6B2 and 3 were both developed before and during the early stages of Afghanistan, both offered good protection, able to stop a shot from a 7.62x39. They did, however, weigh in at 10Kg. The updated versions are rated for 5.45 at close and 7.62 at longer (100 meters) ranges, and weigh in at 7kg. This was the first armor I had experence with. It was solid, but it was also heavy and did little to stop blunt force trauma.
The 6B4 offered better protection but in a heavier package, but was made out of superior materials. It is rated to take harder hits, and multiple hits from smaller caliber rounds.

Onto modern...
6Sh92-3

6Sh92-3 is the variation of the 6Sh92 series of body armor/assault vest. Primarily used by Naval Infantry. Its armor is the 6B11-3, which sucked absolute donkey balls. The level was stated as being a II most commonly, but manufacturers attempted to pass it as a IIIA. It suffered from QC issues. When they were good, they were good. Otherwise, they were closer to a level IIA or I. It lead to quite an issue and the inevitable demise of the company. I really, however, liked the vest. It has spots for up to 8 AK magazines, two hand grenades, two signal flairs, and a bayonet. A day pouch and belt are also available. Its the standard vest of my nations VDV and Naval infantry IC.
The set is very comfortable, but does hinder mobility. Everything is really right where you need it, even though it produces a bit of clutter inside a BMP or BTR.

6B12

Unlike above, the 6B12 is not a total set of webbing, assault vest, armor, ect. It is only the armor.
The 6B12 offers the same story as above, but I am going to make a note of the: There were fewer issues with the 12 as the 11. Its far more effective, able to stop incoming pistol and small rifle fire (Including the 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 at about 80-120 meters). It is virtually NEVER seen as a stand alone.

6B23

6B23 is the most modern version I have any experience with. Its lighter, offers better protection, and is more modular than the previous body armors. Its a level II with the ability to become a "2+3", "2+4"or "2+3+4", offering protection against nearly all small arms fire one would expect. It is, however, a bit bulky, it restricts head moment slightly, and arms can not be brought up vertically over ones head. One cant do a split in one (I cant do a split as is, you get the idea). This is about the same as the 6B12 set. The 6B15 is the version for tankers and vehicle crewmen.

All these come together (With the 6B7/28 helmet and AK-74M or AN-94) to form the standard solders armor kit in Russia, knows as the Barmica.

The future shows that the new "land warrior" system in Russia will over performance much better, being 1/2 as heavy and offering up to 10 times better protection. I have no idea how they hope to do this, but I know its going to be something I follow very closely.

Few questions I may as well answer:

Are these stab/dog proof?
Yes. They can and do protect against blades, and dogs. But honestly, if a Caucasian Shepherd bites you, you are done. They are the rape train of the dog world.

How are they for environmental conditions?
You take the bad with the good. They wont do you any favors in the heat, and they wont keep the cold out in winter. Hydration bladders, when their cold, help. They make an effort to be ventilated at least, but its still a 25 kilo set all loaded up. Or, if your my PK gunner, like 35 kilos.

Do you trust your life to it?
Yep.

Anything else you want covered, I am happy to do so.

link to larger image of German soldiers:
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o64 ... 7e395c.jpg
Last edited by Puzikas on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye.

Ulfr-Reich
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:17 am

United Republics of Aralon wrote:What do you use to absorb recoil from that monster of a cartridge? Power armor?

Ulfran folk seem to be more monster than man, read all o' this and all shall be explained:
The time the first Ulfran peoples spent in the Ocean of Time, being caught adrift in it's waves caused them to change and shift for ceaseless millennial cycles, allowing for them to evolve to fit their terrifying and constantly shifting environs (wherever the nomadic armada landed at over the endless ages). Landing on the shores of distant and ancient lands, future worlds and lands that could've been, will be should've been and were, combined with the maelstrom of energies and forces at work truly altered their genomes. They are, or at least were Homo Sapiens Sapiens at one point, but have changed incredibly. They look like very tall Germano-Nordic people, with old world physical asthetics due to the fact that the first Ulfrans were in original Norrheimr(first Germanics in existence) that got set adrift on the Ocean of Time due to a fog-bank catching the entire migratory armada (This occurred in the late Migration Era, when Europe was first being colonized). Eventually, after being adrift for multiple millennial cycles, the Ulfran migratory armada met their gods, "Det Store Jegere" or "The Great Hunters", believed to be a lost tribe of gods related to the Aesir. The pantheon's chief god, "Ulfr", for whom they named themselves after granted them a great gift, a blessing if you will, to make them stronger, more predatory and if anything far more savage, as one ancient poet put it "Men with the hearts of great northern wolves." Ulfran folk have nothing in common with Lycanthropic myth, but are quite capable in unarmed combat due to the absurd strength of limb and bodily core. Some of the more common traits among Ulfrans, aside from the incredible height for which they are so well-known is the fact they tend to have reinforced jaws and joints, pointed teeth and occasionally more angular ears in some of the older more vicious clans.
After the Ulfran people settled and began to violently conquer their homeland they encountered a race of creatures or, "pseudo-abhuman" as an anthropologist from Prussia had called them when looking over the chewed and marred bones. When the Ulfran Varprestur (War Priests) saw the power and wrath of the Jottnar (sub tribe of giants), they decided that these creatures must be slaughtered and consumed, tribe-by-tribe, so as to make the Ulfran people stronger, larger and more acclimated to this cold and unforgiving land. The Jottnar tribes were hunted down, slaughtered, and their hearts, blood and marrow were consumed, the strange after effects of being immersed in the maelstrom of energies filling the Ocean of Time (And Ulfr's blessing, this event was planned apparently) caused the Genetic structure of the Ulfran people to be more "Receptive" to certain genetic markers and traits. Amongst those traits was a massive height increase, they were an already tall people, this made them more akin' to the Jottnar tribes they ritually consumed, thicker bones, more efficient cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and a highly accelerated healing rate due to the combination of Jottnar geno-matter and Ulfr's Gift. Amongst the usually unmentioned factors that did come into play was the application of Eugenics in a primal manner during the migratory days of the folk, the weak, ill or infirm (mentally as well as physically) were cast into the abyssal depths as sacrifice, their throats slit over a ritual drinking horn and their bodies thrown into the deep after being carved with runes of sacrifice unto Ljøkmaalr, the god of the sea. Such a deed culled the population count and cut down on the need for ship stealing in whatever era they were thrust in temporarily and on the amount of food that was needed per great-ship. The culling/sacrificial eugenics also allowed for the strong to survive and breed, empowering the overall "stock" of the Ulfran Gene-pool, further hardening them against the ravages of randomly skipping through time for several millennial cycles and the overall havoc that wrought and the ravages they encountered within the Ocean of Time itself.

At the beginning of the Classical Age, more reference to these tall and monstrous people are found in things like the Iliad, The Nibelungenlied (Nibelungensaga), Beowulf, and various other highly important pieces of historic literature; to say the least, Ulfran involvement in the Icelandic sagas is even more apparent when Egil was in Denmark and he encountered a group of Ulfran warriors that had landed to both trade and raid should it prove opportune. After subsequent generations, the combination of the multiple modifications that had been done to the Ulfran genepool had finally melded and created the Ulfran people was we know them several hundred years before the Trojan War was truly in motion. In the long run, all they have endured as a people, all the modifications, both from their gods, from the sacrificial culling/eugenics and the ritualized consumption based acclimation to the Ulfheim environment established a precedent for how the Ulfran folk would always live, and how every fiber of their being would be geared for war, carnage, mayhem and strife.

As such, the average physical features of Ulfran-folk are thus:

Basic Height: Six foot, Seven,Nine or Eight Inches Tall (They tend to be broad of build and well proportioned).

Common Facial features: Nordic, long faces, strong Jaws, North German chin/jaw-lines.

Common Eye Colors: Blue, Green, Hazel, Grey, Blackish Grey.

Common physical traits: Pointed and occasionally ridged teeth Teeth, sometimes mildly angled quasi-lupine ears (very bloody rare), Primeval-looking highly lupine eyes (it varies in degree depending on clan).

Ulfr-Reich is borderline FanT and is heavily Diesel/retro/teslapunk in influence, same goes for the other nations in Ulfheim. And consider this, the Quaternary extinction event never happened, Smilodon, Dire Wolves, mammoths, other such beasts roam a world where the climate is still very "late-ice age/early post-ice age". Winters are longer, wars are harsher, and militaries do tend to armor their troops not just because of combat itself, but due to the environment itself.
Asatruar (bloody-well proud of it) | Ethnogeography & Migratory Anthropology/Linguistics Researcher (In my spare time) | Actual Jarlist| And yes, I am vehemently anti-pony/brony | Borderline FanT/NightmareT, very Norse/Proto-Germanic/Gothic| Æþalatsheim = http://www.nationstates.net/nation=aethal.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.

Socialist Ohio
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Ohio » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am

My military uses the AK-47, because it is mass produced, cheap, durable, and pretty dangerous ^_^. That isn't to say we have other guns.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:23 am

Socialist Ohio wrote:My military uses the AK-47, because it is mass produced, cheap, durable, and pretty dangerous ^_^. That isn't to say we have other guns.

Read the OP.

Goodbye.

3 State Alliance
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 3 State Alliance » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:24 am

Socialist Ohio wrote:My military uses the AK-47, because it is mass produced, cheap, durable, and pretty dangerous ^_^. That isn't to say we have other guns.

Umm... there are literally hundreds of different models of "AK47"s. you give us no info, and you need to read the OP.
"Lets introduce these savages to the 20th century! All ranks, fire at will."
Commissar Maria Smith, The Siege of High Reach

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 am

Puzikas wrote:[spoiler]
San-Silvacian wrote:
NO!

THIS IS MAIN MILITARY WEAPON OF YOUR COUNTRY: PATTERN VIII (READ OP).

NORTH KOREA IS A SUN HAPPY FUNTIME CAMP COMPARED TO MMW

It now lives on forever in my sig.
For glory.

Time for another:
Jesus, Puzikas, Don't You Have a Life?
no.

Now presenting: Body armor!
Lets start with the basics.

Body armor has been around for centuries, but it has not been since the early 1900s* that we start to see what we call modern body armor, AKA "Bullet proof vests". The earliest example I can find of this happens to be in 1916 in terms of "Bullet proof vests", and like most cool things, they come from the Germans, as well as the Americans.
German soldiers wearing body armor (Infanterie-Panzer) link to full image provided below

These early vests were primitive, low level, heavy, and could really only stop lower-powered bullets, fragmentation, and blades. The one outlyer in this is the US made Brewster Body Shield, weighing in at 18kg, it was able to stop a lewis gun bullet at 2,700 feet per second/ We will not focus on this, however. These vests also had to be purchased by a soldier, an often very expensive ordeal (1914 price of a bullet proof fabric vest: $800 USD, or $18068.56 today.) But they were, strangely enough, effective for their purpose. Not to say they did anything to cut casualties (Because most modern body armor cant stop .303 Brit, .30-06, 8mm Lebel, 7x57/7.92x57) but it still was a precursor for the things to come. The great war ended up being not-so-great, and many, many nations following the war were in something of an arms race to make the next great thing. Trench clearing, barb wire blasting, gas attacking, whatever it was, people were developing it. And body armor was no different. In the 20s and 30s, body armor started to be used a bit more, but by gangsters. They could stop rounds from .22lr up to lower end loading (Like used by the FBI) of .45ACP.
Body armor in use, vs. .38 Special, 1923

This lead to the popular use of hotter (What became standard by WWII) loads of .45ACP, as well as the .357 magnum and .38 Super rounds. By the second world war, body armor was still in its infancy. Not quite yet ready to be deployed en-mass, but not quite silent in its hand. The First Flak jackets were issued to US and British airmen. These were designed to stop fragmentation from the german Flak guns, which filled the air with a dreadful cloud of shrapnel. They were not bullet proof by any means, but still notable as body armor. The Soviets actually developed the best example of body armor, the SN-42 (Stalynoi Nagrudnik, Steel breastplate/ Chest plate of Steel).
SN-42 body Armor
It weighed a (relativity) low 3.5kg, as was able to stop the German 9x19 caliber round at engagement distances, making it useful for urban combat. It was also issued to Tankodesantniki, the guys that jump off tanks, and SHISBr (assault engineers). Its weight, however, restricted its use in the open per Soviet doctrine, and it was limited to that. It was abe to stop 7.92x33 at about 200 meters. The Japanese and all their wacky selves also developed body armor samples that saw use, but I wont get into it because it reminds me of a turtle. The British also issued suits in small numbers, an assault suit weighing 1.8kg that would reliably stop fragmentation and 9mm bullets, and a 4.6kg vest for static soldiers that could reliably stop lower powered bullets as well. No word on how well it stopped 7.92x33. I believe the stated issued number was 500,000 1.8kg vests, and 100,000 4.6kg vests. The US later got in on the act by issuing an armor set that proved to be effective in 1945 at the battle of Okinawa, and onto Korea.

In Korea, the US was issuing body armor on a larger scale, known as the M1951. It used fiber-reinforced plastic/aluminium bits, that were woven into a nylon vest. While stated as being able to stop the 7.62x25 Tokerav at muzzle, I laugh at such claims, as 7.62x25 is the rape train of the pistol world. By Vietnam, the US was issuing Flak en-mass and body armor to soldiers in high risk areas, normally about what we consider to be a level II system. This stuff can be gotten surplus second hand for anywhere from $50 to $200.

Modern body armor relies on Small Arms Protective Insert (SAPI) plates and trauma plates to protect the user from harm. They are often used in conjunction with assault vests. They can be very heavy, bulky, and hinder moment in many cases.

Now, you all wanted me to go over Russian body armor. So I will.

For all purposes, Russian body armor is very similar to Western armor. Is has plate inserts, vests, webbing, so on and so forth. Its just as bulky and it works just as well, or its just as crummy and fits all the same. Primary materials are the same as any Western plate, sometimes with various differences (For example, heavy use of polyethylene in heavy plates, and alumina for lighter). It offers great protection, just the same as anything else. I'm going to focus on a few different sets.

Rather than go in depth on the soviet plates of the 50s, 60s and 70s, Im going to just touch on them.

Developed off of the SN-42 and the like, many were closer to an afterthought than real armor. In the 70s and 80s is when they started to get serious. Afghanistan generated the need for plates to protect against small arms fire at extended ranges (Because mountainous area). An early, pre Afghanistan example would be the 6B1, able to stop fragmentation, and able to stop a PPSH-41 fired 7.62x25 at 50 meters. Only a few were made, and if a threat were to arise, more would be manufactured.

The 6B2 and 3 were both developed before and during the early stages of Afghanistan, both offered good protection, able to stop a shot from a 7.62x39. They did, however, weigh in at 10Kg. The updated versions are rated for 5.45 at close and 7.62 at longer (100 meters) ranges, and weigh in at 7kg. This was the first armor I had experence with. It was solid, but it was also heavy and did little to stop blunt force trauma.
The 6B4 offered better protection but in a heavier package, but was made out of superior materials. It is rated to take harder hits, and multiple hits from smaller caliber rounds.

Onto modern...
6Sh92-3
[spoiler]Image

6Sh92-3 is the variation of the 6Sh92 series of body armor/assault vest. Primarily used by Naval Infantry. Its armor is the 6B11-3, which sucked absolute donkey balls. The level was stated as being a II most commonly, but manufacturers attempted to pass it as a IIIA. It suffered from QC issues. When they were good, they were good. Otherwise, they were closer to a level IIA or I. It lead to quite an issue and the inevitable demise of the company. I really, however, liked the vest. It has spots for up to 8 AK magazines, two hand grenades, two signal flairs, and a bayonet. A day pouch and belt are also available. Its the standard vest of my nations VDV and Naval infantry IC.
The set is very comfortable, but does hinder mobility. Everything is really right where you need it, even though it produces a bit of clutter inside a BMP or BTR.

6B12

Unlike above, the 6B12 is not a total set of webbing, assault vest, armor, ect. It is only the armor.
The 6B12 offers the same story as above, but I am going to make a note of the: There were fewer issues with the 12 as the 11. Its far more effective, able to stop incoming pistol and small rifle fire (Including the 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 at about 80-120 meters). It is virtually NEVER seen as a stand alone.

6B23

6B23 is the most modern version I have any experience with. Its lighter, offers better protection, and is more modular than the previous body armors. Its a level II with the ability to become a "2+3", "2+4"or "2+3+4", offering protection against nearly all small arms fire one would expect. It is, however, a bit bulky, it restricts head moment slightly, and arms can not be brought up vertically over ones head. One cant do a split in one (I cant do a split as is, you get the idea). This is about the same as the 6B12 set. The 6B15 is the version for tankers and vehicle crewmen.

All these come together (With the 6B7/28 helmet and AK-74M or AN-94) to form the standard solders armor kit in Russia, knows as the Barmica.

The future shows that the new "land warrior" system in Russia will over performance much better, being 1/2 as heavy and offering up to 10 times better protection. I have no idea how they hope to do this, but I know its going to be something I follow very closely.

Few questions I may as well answer:

Are these stab/dog proof?
Yes. They can and do protect against blades, and dogs. But honestly, if a Caucasian Shepherd bites you, you are done. They are the rape train of the dog world.

How are they for environmental conditions?
You take the bad with the good. They wont do you any favors in the heat, and they wont keep the cold out in winter. Hydration bladders, when their cold, help. They make an effort to be ventilated at least, but its still a 25 kilo set all loaded up. Or, if your my PK gunner, like 35 kilos.

Do you trust your life to it?
Yep.

Anything else you want covered, I am happy to do so.

link to larger image of German soldiers:
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o64 ... 7e395c.jpg

[/spoile
According to my fencing experiences 7-10 kgs of armor is stil quite friendly,with+5 kgs of helmet and sword. How much is the average combat load besides these?

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 am

Ulfr-Reich wrote:
United Republics of Aralon wrote:What do you use to absorb recoil from that monster of a cartridge? Power armor?

Ulfran folk seem to be more monster than man, read all o' this and all shall be explained:
The time the first Ulfran peoples spent in the Ocean of Time, being caught adrift in it's waves caused them to change and shift for ceaseless millennial cycles, allowing for them to evolve to fit their terrifying and constantly shifting environs (wherever the nomadic armada landed at over the endless ages). Landing on the shores of distant and ancient lands, future worlds and lands that could've been, will be should've been and were, combined with the maelstrom of energies and forces at work truly altered their genomes. They are, or at least were Homo Sapiens Sapiens at one point, but have changed incredibly. They look like very tall Germano-Nordic people, with old world physical asthetics due to the fact that the first Ulfrans were in original Norrheimr(first Germanics in existence) that got set adrift on the Ocean of Time due to a fog-bank catching the entire migratory armada (This occurred in the late Migration Era, when Europe was first being colonized). Eventually, after being adrift for multiple millennial cycles, the Ulfran migratory armada met their gods, "Det Store Jegere" or "The Great Hunters", believed to be a lost tribe of gods related to the Aesir. The pantheon's chief god, "Ulfr", for whom they named themselves after granted them a great gift, a blessing if you will, to make them stronger, more predatory and if anything far more savage, as one ancient poet put it "Men with the hearts of great northern wolves." Ulfran folk have nothing in common with Lycanthropic myth, but are quite capable in unarmed combat due to the absurd strength of limb and bodily core. Some of the more common traits among Ulfrans, aside from the incredible height for which they are so well-known is the fact they tend to have reinforced jaws and joints, pointed teeth and occasionally more angular ears in some of the older more vicious clans.
After the Ulfran people settled and began to violently conquer their homeland they encountered a race of creatures or, "pseudo-abhuman" as an anthropologist from Prussia had called them when looking over the chewed and marred bones. When the Ulfran Varprestur (War Priests) saw the power and wrath of the Jottnar (sub tribe of giants), they decided that these creatures must be slaughtered and consumed, tribe-by-tribe, so as to make the Ulfran people stronger, larger and more acclimated to this cold and unforgiving land. The Jottnar tribes were hunted down, slaughtered, and their hearts, blood and marrow were consumed, the strange after effects of being immersed in the maelstrom of energies filling the Ocean of Time (And Ulfr's blessing, this event was planned apparently) caused the Genetic structure of the Ulfran people to be more "Receptive" to certain genetic markers and traits. Amongst those traits was a massive height increase, they were an already tall people, this made them more akin' to the Jottnar tribes they ritually consumed, thicker bones, more efficient cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and a highly accelerated healing rate due to the combination of Jottnar geno-matter and Ulfr's Gift. Amongst the usually unmentioned factors that did come into play was the application of Eugenics in a primal manner during the migratory days of the folk, the weak, ill or infirm (mentally as well as physically) were cast into the abyssal depths as sacrifice, their throats slit over a ritual drinking horn and their bodies thrown into the deep after being carved with runes of sacrifice unto Ljøkmaalr, the god of the sea. Such a deed culled the population count and cut down on the need for ship stealing in whatever era they were thrust in temporarily and on the amount of food that was needed per great-ship. The culling/sacrificial eugenics also allowed for the strong to survive and breed, empowering the overall "stock" of the Ulfran Gene-pool, further hardening them against the ravages of randomly skipping through time for several millennial cycles and the overall havoc that wrought and the ravages they encountered within the Ocean of Time itself.

At the beginning of the Classical Age, more reference to these tall and monstrous people are found in things like the Iliad, The Nibelungenlied (Nibelungensaga), Beowulf, and various other highly important pieces of historic literature; to say the least, Ulfran involvement in the Icelandic sagas is even more apparent when Egil was in Denmark and he encountered a group of Ulfran warriors that had landed to both trade and raid should it prove opportune. After subsequent generations, the combination of the multiple modifications that had been done to the Ulfran genepool had finally melded and created the Ulfran people was we know them several hundred years before the Trojan War was truly in motion. In the long run, all they have endured as a people, all the modifications, both from their gods, from the sacrificial culling/eugenics and the ritualized consumption based acclimation to the Ulfheim environment established a precedent for how the Ulfran folk would always live, and how every fiber of their being would be geared for war, carnage, mayhem and strife.

As such, the average physical features of Ulfran-folk are thus:

Basic Height: Six foot, Seven,Nine or Eight Inches Tall (They tend to be broad of build and well proportioned).

Common Facial features: Nordic, long faces, strong Jaws, North German chin/jaw-lines.

Common Eye Colors: Blue, Green, Hazel, Grey, Blackish Grey.

Common physical traits: Pointed and occasionally ridged teeth Teeth, sometimes mildly angled quasi-lupine ears (very bloody rare), Primeval-looking highly lupine eyes (it varies in degree depending on clan).

Ulfr-Reich is borderline FanT and is heavily Diesel/retro/teslapunk in influence, same goes for the other nations in Ulfheim. And consider this, the Quaternary extinction event never happened, Smilodon, Dire Wolves, mammoths, other such beasts roam a world where the climate is still very "late-ice age/early post-ice age". Winters are longer, wars are harsher, and militaries do tend to armor their troops not just because of combat itself, but due to the environment itself.

I see.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am

United Republics of Aralon wrote:According to my fencing experiences 7-10 kgs of armor is stil quite friendly,with+5 kgs of helmet and sword. How much is the average combat load besides these?

Thats fencing, a quick burst of energy for a short period. Try walking 25km with a 4kg rifle in your arms with an additional 20-30kg of gear, or running that far. While being shot at.
Remember your environment, and what your doing.

Goodbye.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 am

2+3+4 sounds absolutely redundant and heavy.

Think I'll stick to my Multi hit, Stand Alone, LvL 4 BA.

(No, not Esapi)

As for claims of it being "Stab" proof, I very much doubt this claim unless it's a pure steel/metal insert (AR500). Standard Kevlar plates offer just about zero protection from sharp objects such as knives. This is why you have stab vest, and bullet resistant vests, not one in the same.

Having said that, interesting read up. It's been several years since my last Russian Threat brief, nice to see what has and hasn't really changed.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 am

Paddy O Fernature wrote:2+3+4 sounds absolutely redundant and heavy.

Think I'll stick to my Multi hit, Stand Alone, LvL 4 BA.

(No, not Esapi)

As for claims of it being "Stab" proof, I very much doubt this claim unless it's a pure steel/metal insert (AR500). Standard Kevlar plates offer just about zero protection from sharp objects such as knives. This is why you have stab vest, and bullet resistant vests, not one in the same.

Having said that, interesting read up. It's been several years since my last Russian Threat brief, nice to see what has and hasn't really changed.

Its pretty damned heavy, but not for what it is. 10.2kg
The stab proof bit is actually do to a stab vest integral with certain variations of the armor itself. I believe its a 2mm plate or so

Goodbye.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Republics of Aralon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:45 am

Puzikas wrote:
United Republics of Aralon wrote:According to my fencing experiences 7-10 kgs of armor is stil quite friendly,with+5 kgs of helmet and sword. How much is the average combat load besides these?

Thats fencing, a quick burst of energy for a short period. Try walking 25km with a 4kg rifle in your arms with an additional 20-30kg of gear, or running that far. While being shot at.
Remember your environment, and what your doing.

That's pretty damn heavy. The most stuff I walked similar distances with was about 15 kg of camping gear, wasn't too hard( altough we had about two short rests), but the double of it, and all in one go, sounds like hell on earth. Is the carry system good? Balance of the load matters a lot.
I imagine being shot at would help in the running department though, unless I suck one in.
Last edited by United Republics of Aralon on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 am

someone lemme know if this is complete bunk;

New ambi ejection system for bullpups: Hooded cheek rest covers the ejection port, with a tube inside. Cartridge is ejected to the side, into the tube. As the bolt returns, a lug on the side pushes the cartridge out the front of the tube. Cartridge is ejected forward and out, just above the trigger hand.

Thinking being that this would make for a simple mid-eject system.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 am

Nua Corda wrote:someone lemme know if this is complete bunk;

New ambi ejection system for bullpups: Hooded cheek rest covers the ejection port, with a tube inside. Cartridge is ejected to the side, into the tube. As the bolt returns, a lug on the side pushes the cartridge out the front of the tube. Cartridge is ejected forward and out, just above the trigger hand.

Thinking being that this would make for a simple mid-eject system.

Too complex, too hard to manufacture resulting in a massive increase price of the system.

Also not especially ambi, or its it is just above the hand, meaning hot brass can still hit the shooter due to bulpup lay out.

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information