NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nations Warships, MKII

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yugoshvanka
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yugoshvanka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:16 am

I got this idea last night and I'd like you guys to hear it out:

Have a warship, bit larger then everyone's favorite Kirov-class, with the super structure pushed to the front, and a very large bed of VLS tubes covering most of the ships aft, but in the same way that there are missile tubes in the deck of the Admiral Kuznetsov have a large flight deck over the whole thing for helicopters and VTOL fighters.

I know its a stupid idea, I'm just wondering what you guys think of it

*think of it as a mating of the kirov and the Moskva-classe*
Last edited by Yugoshvanka on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
The Soviet Union by any other name
This nation is 1950's-60's past tech

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:20 am

Yugoshvanka wrote:I got this idea last night and I'd like you guys to hear it out:

Have a warship, bit larger then everyone's favorite Kirov-class, with the super structure pushed to the front, and a very large bed of VLS tubes covering most of the ships aft, but in the same way that there are missile tubes in the deck of the Admiral Kuznetsov have a large flight deck over the whole thing for helicopters and VTOL fighters.

VLS is very heavy and fucks around with the displacement.

You can't simply move x and place y on warships.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Yugoshvanka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yugoshvanka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:22 am

San-Silvacian wrote:
Yugoshvanka wrote:I got this idea last night and I'd like you guys to hear it out:

VLS is very heavy and fucks around with the displacement.

You can't simply move x and place y on warships.

I would think it would balance out, given that the superstructure is pushed to the front.

but hey.
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:24 am

Oaledonia wrote:
Stahn wrote:
:D

It's true. You can fire missiles from everywhere that can detroy a carrier. And what is the carrier going to do against that but explode?

It's not true. It's so wrong.

As well argued and insightful your comments were, they failed to change my mind on this. But it goes without saying that you are welcome to your own opinion.

Carriers still are a nice thing to have if you have a huge budget and go around the world invading nations that are technologically and militarily way behind but if the US would send its carriers against a nation like China in a full conventional war scenario, it is going to end in disaster.

Carriers now are like the battleships of WW2. It is not going to be of much help against a nation of power that knows what it is doing.

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 am

The Soviets had ships like that. Part missile cruiser, part carrier. They were cool in the 80's.

Hasuut Inu Tlomaq
Envoy

Founded: Feb 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hasuut Inu Tlomaq » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 am

We don't have what you would really call a navy but we do have a Coastal Patrol which is actually a unit of the Wildlife Police. Its mission is to prevent illegal fishing and shoot poachers (eg. illegal whalers). We don't really have warships. If our coast were attacked, our coastal artillery batteries would be activated and they can do a lot of damage.
Last edited by Hasuut Inu Tlomaq on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 am

If that were true, the USN wouldn't have carriers.

Sadly it isn't. Carriers are exceptionally helpful in everything except for a couple very niche roles such as keeping the Suez Canal free of SWARMING ATTACKS.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:28 am

Stahn wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:It's not true. It's so wrong.

As well argued and insightful your comments were, they failed to change my mind on this. But it goes without saying that you are welcome to your own opinion.

Carriers still are a nice thing to have if you have a huge budget and go around the world invading nations that are technologically and militarily way behind but if the US would send its carriers against a nation like China in a full conventional war scenario, it is going to end in disaster.

Carriers now are like the battleships of WW2. It is not going to be of much help against a nation of power that knows what it is doing.

It's like you're telling me that aircraft aren't relevant.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:31 am

Stahn wrote:

The Soviets had ships like that. Part missile cruiser, part carrier. They were cool in the 80's.

The Soviets were bound by the Montreux Convention.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 am

Gallia- wrote:If that were true, the USN wouldn't have carriers.

Sadly it isn't. Carriers are exceptionally helpful in everything except for a couple very niche roles such as keeping the Suez Canal free of SWARMING ATTACKS.

Thats why China invaded it in BF4 rite.

Yugoshvanka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yugoshvanka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:38 am

Stahn wrote:

I'm the soviets in the 60's, so I'm just ahead of the curve
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:40 am

Oaledonia wrote:
Stahn wrote:

Aircraft are relevant. So is infantry. But if you put 500 men in a blimp so they can go invade the U.S. it is not going to end well.

Well, obviously if because the U.S.N. is doing it, it is the definitive and final argument, I can't be right.

The U.S. should not have invested in a new class of carrier is my opinion but their carriers are useful for them in scenarios like the Iraq Invasion and such.

And probably to a lesser degree it also applies to the U.K. and even lesser to France.

These are nations with a powerful military and lots of overseas interests. They will most likely be sending forces over the world to fight against nations that are no match for them technologically and militarily.

But with satellites in the sky and land based, boat based and submarine based missiles more than capable of destroying a super carrier with one hit, carriers have nowhere to hide and no defense capable of dealing with a powerful missile attack.

It is not so much a concern for the real world as such a large conventional war is perhaps not that likely to happen (it will probably turn nuclear), but on the planet of NationStates with lots of these conventional wars between huge and technologically advanced nations, carriers would be the first ship the enemy goes for. And I don't see how a navy can protect its carriers from such an attack.
Last edited by Stahn on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:42 am

Stahn wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:It's not true. It's so wrong.

Carrier or land based tankers. Problem solved. You can use your carrier aircraft, launch them out of range of enemy missiles. Refuel in flight. Repeat.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:46 am

Launch them out of range of enemy missiles? Do you know how long a range a missile can have?

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:48 am

Stahn wrote:Launch them out of range of enemy missiles? Do you know how long a range a missile can have?

Depends on the missile. DF-21 or the likes, you are screwed. But, with most cruise missiles, you stand a decent chance.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:48 am

Stahn wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:

Aircraft are relevant. So is infantry. But if you put 500 men in a blimp so they can go invade the U.S. it is not going to end well.

Well, obviously if because the U.S.N. is doing it, it is the definitive and final argument, I can't be right.

Good, at least you recognise that.

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:50 am

Organized States wrote:
Stahn wrote:Launch them out of range of enemy missiles? Do you know how long a range a missile can have?

Depends on the missile. DF-21 or the likes, you are screwed. But, with most cruise missiles, you stand a decent chance.

Yeah, it just depends on the enemy you are fighting. Iran or North Korea are probably not going to have anything that poses a great threat to your carriers (but you can never be sure) but there are plenty of nations in the world I would not use carriers against.

Stahn
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am

Gallia- wrote:
Stahn wrote:

Like it has never made mistakes before.
Last edited by Stahn on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yugoshvanka
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Yugoshvanka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 am

Stahn wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Like it has never have made mistakes before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littoral_combat_ship

*Cough*
OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

Stahn wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Like it has never made mistakes before.

I think the sole carrier navy in the world (soon to be joined by Britain when/if the QEs are ever built) knows a lot about carriers, so I'd defer to them unless you have some sort of extensive background in the subject.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:58 am

Stahn wrote:The U.S. should not have invested in a new class of carrier is my opinion but their carriers are useful for them in scenarios like the Iraq Invasion and such.

As time goes on, carriers undergo this thing called age, allot of stuff goes though it. After so long it will actually cost more to operate an older design than a newer one.

Stahn wrote:And probably to a lesser degree it also applies to the U.K. and even lesser to France.

Both nations are cornerstones of NATO, also have a number of overseas interests.

Stahn wrote:But with satellites in the sky and land based

Land-based satellites.

wat.

Also satellites aren't good at looking for ships.

Stahn wrote:boat based and submarine based missiles more than capable of destroying a super carrier with one hit, carriers have nowhere to hide and no defense capable of dealing with a powerful missile attack.

You are literally saying carriers are outdated because a few chinese made some targets for airstrikes and submarines that can pwned by a helicopter. Oh I'm sorry I just said their counters.

Fuck it I guess its time to go back to BBs again, NS is right.

Stahn wrote:It is not so much a concern for the real world as such a large conventional war is perhaps not that likely to happen (it will probably turn nuclear), but on the planet of NationStates with lots of these conventional wars between huge and technologically advanced nations, carriers would be the first ship the enemy goes for. And I don't see how a navy can protect its carriers from such an attack.

Two bad a conventional war wouldn't automatically go nuclear, unlike what many like to believe. NATO nor the former PC aren't chomping at the bit to fucking nuke each other.

Valloria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valloria » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:58 am

OOC: Since Valloria is set in the late 2100's, we have some... interesting weaponry.

IC:

Fleet Size: 2,000,000 men operate a total of 1,000 warships, including:

• 200 J-Class 3,000-ft. Battleship warships with 300 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 600 six-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as eight nuclear warheads and 100 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 150 C-Class 1,600-ft. Battlecruiser warships with 160 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 320 six-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as five proton warheads and 56 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 150 O-Class 1,000-ft. Destroyer warships with 100 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 200 six-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as three proton warheads and 32 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 100 D-Class 800-ft. Cruiser warships with 80 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 160 six-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as two proton warheads and 28 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 100 P-Class 550-ft. Corvette warships with 55 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 110 six-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as one proton warhead and 20 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 100 N-Class 650-ft. Submarine warships with 40 proton warheads and 150 submarine thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 90 G-Class 500-ft. Monitor warships with 50 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 100 six-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as 16 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 40 B-Class 5,000-ft. Aircraft Carrier warships with 1000 5-dm. artillery barreled cannons and 2000 eight-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as 300 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
• 25 L-Class 3,500-ft. Medic warships with 500 4-dm. artillery barreled cannons.
• 12 Z-Class 7,500-ft. Command warships with 1500 7.5-dm. artillery barrelled cannons and 3000 sixteen-barrel miniguns using exploding rounds as well as 20 proton warheads and 400 assorted surface-to-air/submarine/surface-to-surface thermoplasmanuclear missiles.
Last edited by Valloria on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JON LOVITZ 2020

Organized States
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:58 am

Stahn wrote:
Organized States wrote:Depends on the missile. DF-21 or the likes, you are screwed. But, with most cruise missiles, you stand a decent chance.

Yeah, it just depends on the enemy you are fighting. Iran or North Korea are probably not going to have anything that poses a great threat to your carriers (but you can never be sure) but there are plenty of nations in the world I would not use carriers against.

*cough china cough. North Korea is going to take a pounding from Carrier Aviation.
Thank God for OS!- Deian

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:01 am

Stahn wrote:

It also failed.
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

Under construction

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 am

Stahn is obviously an expert. Of course carriers are completely defenseless against missiles....Oh wait..... Aegis

Under construction

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information