NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nations Warships, MKII

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Vancon wrote:I'm just curious, do you understand what this missile does? It's like a land based rod from god. It gets into the upper atmosphere, turns and goes straight down. The sheer mass of the thing then falls at supersonic speeds and lands on it's target. Even if you "shoot it down" the sheer volume of mass being distributed completely wrecks whatever it hits.

Other ships: Yes, and that just means that we'd need more missiles. And so there would be.

I operate an extremely potent array of EW aircraft and vessels. After I knock your satellites out of orbit, tell me how you'll be able to acquire targets when I jam your remaining EW systems? AWACS will be largely what you'll have to rely on, since OTH does fuck all for locking onto targets. But my aircraft can keep them suppressed.
Last edited by Automagfreek on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Automagfreek wrote:
Vancon wrote:I'm just curious, do you understand what this missile does? It's like a land based rod from god. It gets into the upper atmosphere, turns and goes straight down. The sheer mass of the thing then falls at supersonic speeds and lands on it's target. Even if you "shoot it down" the sheer volume of mass being distributed completely wrecks whatever it hits.

Other ships: Yes, and that just means that we'd need more missiles. And so there would be.

I operate an extremely potent array of EW aircraft and vessels. After I knock your satellites out of orbit, tell me how you'll be able to acquire targets when I jam your remaining EW systems? AWACS will be largely what you'll have to rely on, since OTH does fuck all for locking onto targets. But my aircraft can keep them suppressed.

You're not the only one who has that ability...
Who says you can jam my signals when I make a variant of this Kamikaze style? Or with on-board computers that are given a signature for it to lock onto and stick with it?
Anywho, the missile would still land, and still fuck up your ship.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Automagfreek wrote:Uh, I've been here for over 11 years, and have been a member of the NS Draftroom think tank for many years, so I think I know a thing or two about military hardware and their applications.

RandC has been around for a good amount of time and is a member of the Draftroom as well.

You literally made no point here whatsoever, just trying to "Oh hurr i've been here for a decade plus I know stuff little man."

Sadly enough its not about time spent on NS or if you are apart of NSD.

Automagfreek wrote:This ship has almost 600 air defense missile launchers, and 550 VLS tubes for firing cruise missiles and the like for attacking ground targets over the horizon, so it doesn't just rely on guns.

I just want to know how you carry reloads for the ship and reload them. Do you have a Soviet style revolver style VLS? Because that makes no sense.

There are the other issues that come from how large this ship is, and how woefully top heavy it is as well, along with the reason of 'why' and 'how'.

But don't let me stomp your free form RPing.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Vancon wrote:You're not the only one who has that ability...
Who says you can jam my signals when I make a variant of this Kamikaze style? Or with on-board computers that are given a signature for it to lock onto and stick with it?

You still haven't explained how you would acquire the target in a heavy EW environment. Satellites? OTH? AWACS? The missile itself cannot scan hundreds or thousands of miles of ocean and look for a target (a moving one at that), then steer itself into it at terminal phase. It doesn't work that way.

And I don't think you fully read the article on that missile...

Secondly, the missile may not be able to single-handedly destroy its target. The warhead is believed to be enough to inflict a "mission kill" to make a carrier unable to conduct flight operations, while other missiles would follow to actually destroy the ship. Thirdly, there is the problem of finding its target. The DF-21D has a range estimated between 1,035 to 1,726 mi (1,666 to 2,778 km), so a carrier battle group would need to be located through other means before launching. Over-the-horizon radars could detect ships, but their exact locations could be off by miles. Chinese recon satellites would be able to look for and locate a battle group. Recon aircraft and submarines could also look for them, but they are vulnerable to the carrier's defenses. Finally, the missile may have a hard time hitting its target. To hit ships moving at 34 mph (30 kn), the DF-21D has radar and optical sensors for tracking. These are supposed to make it accurate, but the missile has not yet been tested against a moving target, let alone ones at sea against clutter and countermeasures

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 pm

I think the real question should be: what the hell does having a really big super ship accomplish?

think about it

it doesn't do anything smaller, cheaper, harder to hit, faster, less maintenance intensive ships can't
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:19 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
RandC has been around for a good amount of time and is a member of the Draftroom as well.

You literally made no point here whatsoever, just trying to "Oh hurr i've been here for a decade plus I know stuff little man."

Sadly enough its not about time spent on NS or if you are apart of NSD.

My point was that I don't need to have my intelligence insulted like I've been here a week. I understand the pros and cons of operating a vessel of this size.

I just want to know how you carry reloads for the ship and reload them. Do you have a Soviet style revolver style VLS? Because that makes no sense.

There are the other issues that come from how large this ship is, and how woefully top heavy it is as well, along with the reason of 'why' and 'how'.

But don't let me stomp your free form RPing.

I designed a re-loadable VLS system, but once reserve ordnance is spent it cannot be reloaded at sea. But by that time my infantry will have pushed far enough inland that the ship is no longer needed in the theater.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Automagfreek wrote:
I understand the pros and cons of operating a vessel of this size.

Obviously you don't because if you did you wouldn't use a ship this size

or you're a big fan of artificial reefs and wish to have your navy contribute
Last edited by Padnak on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Padnak wrote:
Obviously you don't because if you did you won't use a ship this size

Believe me, I do.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:27 pm

Automagfreek wrote:Believe me, I do.

Until you demonstrate it, I'm going to assume that you're just another naval literate NSer who played a little bit to much supreme commander and is now infatuated with the idea of big gun warships in the modern or post modern era despite the fact that they offer only disadvantages on the modern or post modern battlefield.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Passive radar
Small boat tactics
Hit and run
Diversionary measures (Making ships appear in places were they aren't, etc.)
Submuhreens

etc.
Padnak wrote:
Automagfreek wrote:
I understand the pros and cons of operating a vessel of this size.

Obviously you don't because if you did you won't use a ship this size

I was about to make this joke.

;-;

Either way:

superior sub 150>m design anyway

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Automagfreek wrote:
Vancon wrote:So we can shoot it with Tanks?
Suggestion: Go to the mil realism and look back 50 pages or so. A large discussion was held over battleships, with an outcome of battleships can't compete with missiles of all forms.

Uh, I've been here for over 11 years, and have been a member of the NS Draftroom think tank for many years, so I think I know a thing or two about military hardware and their applications. You're not telling me anything I don't already know about missiles versus guns, but if you can't seem to think of a purpose for a ship of this nature, I invite you to try a war with me. I don't think anyone actually read the stats I posted. This ship has almost 600 air defense missile launchers, and 550 VLS tubes for firing cruise missiles and the like for attacking ground targets over the horizon, so it doesn't just rely on guns.

And please, tell me what tank can shoot over 40-60 miles. ;)

Where's the underwater CIWS guns with supercavitating sabot rounds?

No DREAD anti-aircraft cannons?
Last edited by Gallia- on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Padnak wrote:

Until you demonstrate it, I'm going to assume that you're just another naval literate NSer who played a little bit to much supreme commander and is now infatuated with the idea of big gun warships in the modern or post modern era despite the fact that they offer only disadvantages on the modern or post modern battlefield.

Estovnia operates modernized Kirovs as the primary vessel given the expense of aircraft carriers :D:D:D:D

San-Silvacian wrote:-Snip-

Sieuxerrian is a shitty denonym
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:32 pm

A test for any modern NS navy should be: Can I be beaten by Padnak? If the answer is yes, then you need to reassess your entire navy

If my *OSA-Is can beat you, then you need to find what went wrong and fast
Last edited by Padnak on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Automagfreek wrote:
Vancon wrote:You're not the only one who has that ability...

You still haven't explained how you would acquire the target in a heavy EW environment. Satellites? OTH? AWACS? The missile itself cannot scan hundreds or thousands of miles of ocean and look for a target (a moving one at that), then steer itself into it at terminal phase. It doesn't work that way.

And I don't think you fully read the article on that missile...

Secondly, the missile may not be able to single-handedly destroy its target. The warhead is believed to be enough to inflict a "mission kill" to make a carrier unable to conduct flight operations, while other missiles would follow to actually destroy the ship. Thirdly, there is the problem of finding its target. The DF-21D has a range estimated between 1,035 to 1,726 mi (1,666 to 2,778 km), so a carrier battle group would need to be located through other means before launching. Over-the-horizon radars could detect ships, but their exact locations could be off by miles. Chinese recon satellites would be able to look for and locate a battle group. Recon aircraft and submarines could also look for them, but they are vulnerable to the carrier's defenses. Finally, the missile may have a hard time hitting its target. To hit ships moving at 34 mph (30 kn), the DF-21D has radar and optical sensors for tracking. These are supposed to make it accurate, but the missile has not yet been tested against a moving target, let alone ones at sea against clutter and countermeasures

Again, one by itself. What if I told you that we could fire more then one? With people controlling them?
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Estovnia wrote:
Padnak wrote:

Estovnia operates modernized Kirovs as the primary vessel given the expense of aircraft carriers :D:D:D:D

San-Silvacian wrote:-Snip-

ur a shitty denonym

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:36 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Estovnia wrote:

ur a shitty denonym

what is yesterday but is 2day's 2morrow

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Ladies, can we please stay on topic here

god, we get to make fun of someone and their backwards view of naval warfare and you lot start having a go at each other

:palm:

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Estovnia wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:
ur a shitty denonym

what is yesterday but is 2day's 2morrow

ur mom

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Postby Automagfreek » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Padnak wrote:

Modern NS war RP goes like this:

Player A lobs 10,000 missiles at Player B's fleet.
Player B counters with ECW and missiles, then fires 20,000 missiles back and takes his own losses.
Player A counters with his own defensive systems and missiles, then fires 30,000 missiles back and takes his own losses..

And this process is repeated ad nauseam until someone runs out of missiles. Ships equipped with conventional 5" cannons cannot get close enough to support amphibious landings because they will be staring down 500,000 AShM's from the shore. So how would you go about supporting landing operations in a mass missile wank environment? Do you keep throwing endless waves of missiles and aircraft at your opponent, post after post after post in hopes of breaking through, all the meanwhile your infantry are landing with little to no support and are under fire? This is why SD's came into existence in the first place, to be able to provide gunnery support at distances that (while still not out of harms way) don't put the entire fleet at risk of destruction. Being able to fire kinetic railgun rounds from over 200-300 miles away to soften up ground targets has become part of my IC battle doctrine, whether you disagree with it OOCly or not. Do I in RL understand the pros and cons of big ships? Yes. Is that how my nation chooses to fight its battles? Yes. Have I lost SD's in combat, and had my commanders watch in horror as a giant flaming hulk of twisted metal sinks to the bottom? Yes. But I find it entertaining as hell, and practical enough in an environment where mass missile spam is the only way to fight it seems.

So please, you lot need to stop OOCly attacking me for what I have my nation do.
Last edited by Automagfreek on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Padnak wrote:Ladies, can we please stay on topic here

god, we get to make fun of someone and their backwards view of naval warfare and you lot start having a go at each other

:palm:

You're just limiting AMF's ability to freeform RP.

Given NS naval warfare (a.k.a I launch 5000 missiles at you), AMF's ship seems fine.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Automagfreek wrote:So how would you go about supporting landing operations in a mass missile wank environment?

By moving to a different region.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Automagfreek wrote:So how would you go about supporting landing operations in a mass missile wank environment?

Win.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:48 pm

The Corparation wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

Win.

That's kind of a given.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:48 pm

I wonder to what extent missile spam tactics were shaped by the Draftroom "think tank..."
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:49 pm

I was in a region once with giant battleships

those where the days

the days when my Kh-55s blocked out the sun

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information