NATION

PASSWORD

Main Military Weapon of Your Country: Mod 7

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should be the OP of the next Main Military Weapons thread

Aqizithiuda
12%
Corda
38%
Kouralia
12%
Puzikas
39%

Total votes : 165

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Care to take any pictures of the pin bracket in one of your AKs for me, Spree?
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Care to take any pictures of the pin bracket in one of your AKs for me, Spree?

From the last thread when Corda was working on something (perhaps I telegrammed it?):

Apologies for the blur, but I will describe what you are looking at:

Just above the chamber you will see the forward trunnion that houses the chamber area of the barrel. You can see that it also extends around the left forward portion of the receiver, and just above the chamber itself, there is a pin (visible at the front-right of trunnion in this photograph, directly above my import marks). Connected to this trunnion is the rear sight block that, as you can see, goes forward and is also pinned in place on the barrel. If the cut-out on the barrel for the trunnion pin is cut correctly, and the trunnion pin is sized correctly (have never heard of either of those not being made correctly), I cannot think of any reason for it to fail outside of improperly-hardened steel/incorrect steel. Basically: unless you screw up and use completely incorrect building materials, you aren't going to have a loss in anything but production time. The only reason this makes manufacturing slightly more difficult is the fact that the barrel has to be pressed into place rather than screwed in. With proper machinery, though, it is something that really does not matter as it will probably still be just as fast in the grand scheme of things.

The Sangheili Empire
Envoy

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sangheili Empire » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:40 pm

The Type-55 Directed Energy Rifle is the primary rifle of the Empire. The weapon is infamous for its accuracy, its supreme range and its power, as simply having it pass near you is enough to kill.

Still working on what to add and all that but thats what I have so far for this thing, more will come later.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Writ of Union

So full of hate were our eyes

That none of us could see

Our war would yield countless dead

But never victory

So let us cast arms aside

And like discard our wrath

Thou, in faith, will keep us safe

Whilst we find the blessed path

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

I'm Unified Earth Governments

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Care to take any pictures of the pin bracket in one of your AKs for me, Spree?

From the last thread when Corda was working on something (perhaps I telegrammed it?):

Just above the chamber you will see the forward trunnion that houses the chamber area of the barrel. You can see that it also extends around the left forward portion of the receiver, and just above the chamber itself, there is a pin (visible at the front-right of trunnion in this photograph, directly above my import marks). Connected to this trunnion is the rear sight block that, as you can see, goes forward and is also pinned in place on the barrel. If the cut-out on the barrel for the trunnion pin is cut correctly, and the trunnion pin is sized correctly (have never heard of either of those not being made correctly), I cannot think of any reason for it to fail outside of improperly-hardened steel/incorrect steel. Basically: unless you screw up and use completely incorrect building materials, you aren't going to have a loss in anything but production time. The only reason this makes manufacturing slightly more difficult is the fact that the barrel has to be pressed into place rather than screwed in. With proper machinery, though, it is something that really does not matter as it will probably still be just as fast in the grand scheme of things.

How does this affect the ability to remove the barrel?
Still trying to wonder if I should use some form of a removable bracket to which the barrel is pinned, how I can make a conventional pinned barrel work, or just to say 'fuck it, screws'.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:01 pm

-The Ukrainian SSR- wrote:Nice M1919.

Also, those logistics aren't suicide worthy it's p. much any European army.

4 different rifles (one of which is almost identical to one of the sniper rifles)?

2 different (but identical in purpose) shotguns?

2 different pistols?

2 different SMGs?

Only thing I see here that's justifiable are the pistols/SMGs, but only if the heavier caliber versions are for use with suppressors (and there's a specially variant of the MP5 for suppressors, and it's very well known), and the sniper rifles (though the 7.62mm AR-10 derivatives should be standardized).
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

-the Ukrainian SSR-
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby -the Ukrainian SSR- » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
-The Ukrainian SSR- wrote:Nice M1919.

Also, those logistics aren't suicide worthy it's p. much any European army.

4 different rifles (one of which is almost identical to one of the sniper rifles)?

2 different pistols?

2 different SMGs?

Only thing I see here that's justifiable are the pistols/SMGs, but only if the heavier caliber versions are for use with suppressors (and there's a specially variant of the MP5 for suppressors, and it's very well known), and the sniper rifles (though the 7.62mm AR-10 derivatives should be standardized).

I thought you meant the ammunition, sorry.
Рутенія [Rostil]
Basically? The Fascist Soviet Union

Do I offend you? Good, it means you have an opinion.
She/Her/They Pronouns - I write things

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:06 pm

-The Ukrainian SSR- wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:

2 different pistols?

2 different SMGs?

I thought you meant the ammunition, sorry.

The ammo I don't dispute by any means, but the weapons are very :cod:
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:

How does this affect the ability to remove the barrel?
Still trying to wonder if I should use some form of a removable bracket to which the barrel is pinned, how I can make a conventional pinned barrel work, or just to say 'fuck it, screws'.

To insert pinned barrel:

Pressure fit into place, hammer in pin.

To insert threaded barrel:

Screw into place, drill gas port afterward.

To remove the barrels on 'em? You'd have to basically take everything off of both since almost everything on an AK attaches to the barrel in some way, so it really wouldn't make much difference there. I think it would come down to the final steps being:

Pinned: remove pin, pull barrel out (probably with a vice or something).

Screwed: Unthread.

Pinned is easier for assembly because gas ports and handguard retaining slots can be made before insertion. Slightly less-easy for disassembly because it is more or less a two-step process. As far as I know, a threaded barrel would have to be threaded on as a "virgin" barrel with nothing "installed" on it as it could rotate slightly more/less than the previous barrel. Therefore, after threading, you'd have to do your handguard retaining slots and then drill your gas port. As for removal, it's basically just "unthread" after you've stripped everything down as you would, regardless of barrel type.

I guess they're really not that different aside from, "mass-produce completed barrels" versus "mass-produce virgin barrels". Even then, you might check out www.akfiles.com and look and see if you can find anyone talking about their own home-built milled AKs. I am 99.99% certain the information I've given you is correct, but being able to talk to someone who has gone one step beyond me (observed and assembled/disassembled entirely) will be able to provide more information, I'm sure.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:38 pm

The current draft of the 1895 assault rifle:

Specifications
Weight: 4.6 kg unloaded/5.4kg fully loaded
Length: 1050mm
Barrel length: 540mm
Cartridge: 6.5x50mm Freka
Action: Short stroke, flapper locked
Rate of fire: 600 rounds/minute
Muzzle velocity:

700m/s (original 160gr 1895 loading)
740 m/s (1899 120gr FMJBT loading)
800 m/s (1923 120gr FMJBT loading)

Effective range: 300 metres
Feed system: 20 round detachable box magazine

Introduction

The Frekagiwar of 1895, better known as the FG 95 is perhaps the first assault rifle to be accepted into service and widely issued by any nation, making it one of the most important firearms developments of the late 19th century. Serving from 1895 to 1950, it is still used by many members of the civilian population for hunting and target shooting, while other surplus rifles are sought after by collectors and museums. Still in use in some areas of the world today, it is also the oldest assault rifle to still be in active service, having been used in the service of various militaries around the world for 118 years. As such, it can be considered the most influential assault rifle of all time.

History

The FG 95 can be said to have it's origins in the patent filed in 1870 by a Swede named Friberg. The patent was about a bolt with retractable locking lugs, which would eventually evolve into the flappers used by the FG 95. However, the first recorded studies into the action used the original design. The document, dated the 18th of May 1873, discusses the potential of the locking system for use in a self loading firearm. It concludes that, while having much potential, current cartridges cause too much fouling for the weapon to ever be accurate, and that a satisfactory method of unlocking the bolt had yet to be found. The idea was shelved for the time being, but was never fully forgotten by the priests of Frauja.

It was not until 1886 and the introduction of the first successful military cartridge using smokeless powder - the French 8mm Lebel cartridge - that the idea of retractable lugs was revived, as the world scrambled to take advantage of this new development. In Triggairþa, some priests of Frauja began to develop their own smokeless powder while others began to develop a new rifle in collaboration with the military order of Fraūw and advisers from the cult of Woþinas. It was soon decided to not only abandon the old ideals of single shot rifles with slow, large caliber bullets, but to also pass over the current trend of bolt action rifles. By 1888, it had been decided to arm soldiers with self loading rifles chambered in a small, fast bullet and supported at a platoon or company level with machine guns firing a large caliber bullet at ranges beyond what the rifles were expected to perform, which was under 300 metres, given past experiences and exhaustive studies of local terrain.

Work on a self loading rifle had been undertaken on a private basis by several of the priests ever since 1884 and the development of Poudre B, and thus had a head start over their rivals both within and outside of the order. One of these priests, Tigōþragjan, had been working with the Friberg system since 1885, and had actually produced a prototype chambered in 8mm Lebel in 1887, before the decision to even develop a semi-automatic rifle had been official reached. It was a complicated short recoil operated design with very little similarity with the FG 95, but the bolt design was beginning to resemble that of the FG 95.

Impressed by Tigōþragjōs progress, the committee teamed him up with the experienced firearms designer Galdranbāl and Lt. Rōfpliht, an infantry officer whose own firearm design was considered quite advanced. The end result was a self loading rifle that incorporated Tigōþragjōs bolt and Rōfplihtōs short stroke gas system. Lighter and easier to produce than either designer's previous designs thanks to improvements and suggestions made by Galdranbāl, it was considered quite promising. The first prototype in 1890 proved to have superior reliability and cost than competing designs, but was still considered too unreliable and inaccurate to be used as a primary service rifle.

Several redesigns later, the FG 95 had evolved into an assault rifle, with the unsolicited ability to fire on fully automatic being added to the second prototype provided for testing in 1893. At first the military was concerned about troops wasting ammunition, however, they were soon convinced by Galdranbāl and Rōfpliht that the select fire capability was of use and that it wouldn't be abused by well trained soldiers. In truth, the military didn't need much convincing, as the idea of turning every soldier into a machine gunner was quite appealing, even if that idea was never actually used. Nonetheless, the fully automatic setting gave the rifle it's name: Frekagiwar, the "greedy firearm". All future assault rifles would be referred to by this name, in the finest traditions of self-mocking humour.

The three years of extensive development and private tests had paid off, and the prototype exceeded expectations. It was accurate, reliable under all conditions and provided soldiers with such an increase in firepower that enemy nations armed with bolt action rifles would be badly disadvantaged. The result was the FG 95 being formally adopted and first issued in 1895.

Design

The FG 95 is a gas operated, short stroke, flapper locked rifle and, as such uses a bolt with two flappers which are pushed out from the bolt by the shape of the firing pin when the trigger is pulled. These flappers lock into recesses in the lower receiver and prevent any rearwards movement of the bolt following the firing of the round. The location of the flappers and their slots at the rear of the bolt results in them experiencing compressional forces rather than the shear forces of the flappers in the G41 rifle. While this doesn't necessarily result in a more reliable weapon, it does allow for better flapper life if they aren't machined to within standard dimensions.

After each round has been fired, a portion of their propellant gases is diverted into a gas tube, where they act on a piston. This piston then taps the bolt carrier, which continues to move rearward due to the momentum imparted by the piston. The bolt carrier has an extrusion which slots into a hole in the firing pin. As the bolt carrier moves backwards, it pushes the firing pin backwards as well, allowing the flappers to retract into the bolt and for the bolt to travel rearwards as well. A recoil spring then returns the bolt to its original position, stripping a round from the magazine as it does so. A bolt hold open device prevents the bolt from returning to battery if the magazine is empty.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:39 pm

ICBMs. Someone tell me which ones there are, and which ones I should be using.
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP
Want me to explain life to you?

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Benomia wrote:ICBMs. Someone tell me which ones there are, and which ones I should be using.

This might be a better question to ask in the military realism thread.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:
Benomia wrote:ICBMs. Someone tell me which ones there are, and which ones I should be using.

That actually exists? I thought it was just rumors...
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP
Want me to explain life to you?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Benomia wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

That actually exists? I thought it was just rumors...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=181798
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:

Heh, you're right about it being more appropriate to the realism thread.

but its almost going to get answered by the same posters regardless. :P

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Transnapastain wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:

Heh, you're right about it being more appropriate to the realism thread.

but its almost going to get answered by the same posters regardless. :P

True enough :lol: .

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 am

Every time I try to modify my Doberman, I just find that I spend hours staring at my FAL receiver drawings.
The FAL looks awesome as nothing but a barrel, gas tube, bolt assembly and lower receiver.
Especially that 12-inch barrel that I stretched to 14.5
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Registug
Senator

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Registug » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 am

Any suggestions for a good replacement to the EF88 in 2030? Or should I keep on trucking with what I got?

Yes, I've been using the gun that long IC. F88 has been in service in Registug in various variants from 1991-2030+
Call me Garshne

Astrayan

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 am

Thales F90.
It's a modified F88, so you could retcon switching to the F90 a decade or so ago.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Registug
Senator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Registug » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:36 am

"The F90 is identical to the EF88"

Er...
Call me Garshne

Astrayan

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:39 am

It is slightly modified.
Wait until Aqi shows up, and hopefully he'll agree.

Besides, it looks more futur than the F88.
Oh, I get it.
It's identical to the EF88, but both are modified versions of the F88.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Registug
Senator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Registug » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:43 am

Well that was coming from the official Thales website.

I feel that changing from an EF88 to F90 around the 2020's is a rather negligible upgrade...

'Course, I could probably keep it in service for another few IC decades yet, just add more BATTLENET attachments.

Music player, anyone? :P
Last edited by Registug on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Garshne

Astrayan

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:50 am

Well, the F90 is an export EF88.
F90 has a couple additional useful features, like STANAG compatibility with its magazines.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Deutsche Demokratischer Volksstaat
Envoy

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutsche Demokratischer Volksstaat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 am

Deutsche Demokratischer Volksstaat [DDV]
German Democratic People's State

National Anthem Auferstanden aus Ruinen | Song of the NVA Zinnsoldat
The Iron Curtain Kid A Boy's Life in the German Democratic Republic
Main Battle Tank Kampfpanzer 72 Ausf G
Questers wrote:Tank design by nation.

Russian tanks are designed to win winter.
Chinese tanks are designed by Russia.
Japanese tanks are designed to win anime.
German tanks are designed to win racecourses.
French tanks are designed to win beauty competitions.
American tanks are designed to win congress.
British tanks are designed to win battles.

Elan Valleys
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Elan Valleys » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 am

I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished for ever.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:29 am

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information