NATION

PASSWORD

II Wiki: Announcement and Discussion Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:56 am

That particular script error has been around since I started IIwikiing. I don't know if it'll ever be fixed.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:07 am

Maltropia wrote:That particular script error has been around since I started IIwikiing. I don't know if it'll ever be fixed.

Is it possible to remove the script all together and let people do it themselves?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:04 am

Roski wrote:Is the script error detected only found on {{infobox:country}}?

Because there's errors on {{infobox:settlement}} as well, as can be seen here:
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Makaruty_Island
and
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Russo

Yeah, as Solm indicated, the issue affects Infobox country and several other templates it relies upon, which, presumably, several other infoboxes rely upon as well. I'm not sure as to how many of them are affected, though.

However, the errors you see on the settlement infobox seem to be related to Template:Convert (which is used to convert between different units), and that particular script error has been present for a very long time, ever since the switch to Lua as a templating language in the later versions of MediaWiki software. It's known to IIwiki administration but it's sort of a more complex issue to resolve.
Roski wrote:
Maltropia wrote:That particular script error has been around since I started IIwikiing. I don't know if it'll ever be fixed.

Is it possible to remove the script all together and let people do it themselves?

Technically it would be possible to modify the template such that it does not use Template:Convert to convert the units, forcing anybody who wants multiple units listed to convert them themselves and manually write them in, but doing so would involve a major restructuring of the template itself and remove its functionality to automatically convert units (granted, it doesn't exactly convert them right now, as it encounters a script error). I'll try to look into that possibility but it may be better to keep working towards a solution of fixing Template:Convert to work with the newer software in a similar manner to how Wikipedia has.

Edit: Just realized those script errors aren't a result of the template at all. The template requires a solely numerical input for the land area and other values, i.e. "2700" instead of "2,700" (the comma is not interpreted as a part of a numerical value). This is necessary for the unit conversion to work. It's a mistake in whoever inputted those values into the template, rather than an issue in the template itself.

Edit 2: Actually, I spoke too soon. That's not what's causing the errors; the inputs are correct. I'll look into it.
Last edited by Virana on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:27 am

Virana wrote:
Roski wrote:Is the script error detected only found on {{infobox:country}}?

Because there's errors on {{infobox:settlement}} as well, as can be seen here:
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Makaruty_Island
and
http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Russo

Yeah, as Solm indicated, the issue affects Infobox country and several other templates it relies upon, which, presumably, several other infoboxes rely upon as well. I'm not sure as to how many of them are affected, though.

However, the errors you see on the settlement infobox seem to be related to Template:Convert (which is used to convert between different units), and that particular script error has been present for a very long time, ever since the switch to Lua as a templating language in the later versions of MediaWiki software. It's known to IIwiki administration but it's sort of a more complex issue to resolve.
Roski wrote:

Technically it would be possible to modify the template such that it does not use Template:Convert to convert the units, forcing anybody who wants multiple units listed to convert them themselves and manually write them in, but doing so would involve a major restructuring of the template itself and remove its functionality to automatically convert units (granted, it doesn't exactly convert them right now, as it encounters a script error). I'll try to look into that possibility but it may be better to keep working towards a solution of fixing Template:Convert to work with the newer software in a similar manner to how Wikipedia has.

Edit: Just realized those script errors aren't a result of the template at all. The template requires a solely numerical input for the land area and other values, i.e. "2700" instead of "2,700" (the comma is not interpreted as a part of a numerical value). This is necessary for the unit conversion to work. It's a mistake in whoever inputted those values into the template, rather than an issue in the template itself.

Edit 2: Actually, I spoke too soon. That's not what's causing the errors; the inputs are correct. I'll look into it.

Thanks!
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 am

Can {{infobox:disupted islands}} be ported over to IIWiki?
Last edited by Roski on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kyrusia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Nov 12, 2007
Capitalizt

Postby Kyrusia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:18 am

Roski wrote:Can {{infobox:disupted islands}} be ported over to IIWiki?

In general, it is best to send an IIwiki Administrator a message directly on their talk page for this sort of thing, since it's more likely to be noticed in a prompt and timely manner. In this case, I have taken the liberty of importing your template so no need to do that. :)
[KYRU]
old. roleplayer. the goat your parents warned you about.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:20 am

Kyrusia wrote:
Roski wrote:Can {{infobox:disupted islands}} be ported over to IIWiki?

In general, it is best to send an IIwiki Administrator a message directly on their talk page for this sort of thing, since it's more likely to be noticed in a prompt and timely manner. In this case, I have taken the liberty of importing your template so no need to do that. :)

thank you much for both advice and importing.

Celibrae
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello, I'm new to IIwiki, and I could do with some help using the Infobox. I tried making one and it didn't work, and from skimming this thread I can see there are some issues with it. Could someone please explain this to me perhaps? What can I do to make it work?
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Celibrae wrote:Hello, I'm new to IIwiki, and I could do with some help using the Infobox. I tried making one and it didn't work, and from skimming this thread I can see there are some issues with it. Could someone please explain this to me perhaps? What can I do to make it work?

Hey!

Mind linking me your page so I could take a look?

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Celibrae
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Solm wrote:
Celibrae wrote:Hello, I'm new to IIwiki, and I could do with some help using the Infobox. I tried making one and it didn't work, and from skimming this thread I can see there are some issues with it. Could someone please explain this to me perhaps? What can I do to make it work?

Hey!

:oops: As of current it doesn't exist, I literally just started. I thought a good way to start my nation page would be an infobox, but all when I preview it it comes out as a massive text block. I will publish it now.

Edit: Here
Last edited by Celibrae on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:58 pm

Celibrae wrote:
Solm wrote:
Hey!

:oops: As of current it doesn't exist, I literally just started. I thought a good way to start my nation page would be an infobox, but all when I preview it it comes out as a massive text block. I will publish it now.

Found it. There's an error with the brackets for the wiki links in the "Official languages" section. You have one that starts with {{, rather than [[.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Celibrae wrote:
Solm wrote:
Hey!

So you made a little error in the Official Language line where you had: "{{wp:Russian language|russky yazyk]]" Those two curly-braces "{{" were never escaped since you accidentally used "]]" instead. I've fixed it for you! You can see my exact change here: http://iiwiki.com/index.php?title=Celib ... did=336296

Thanks!

Edit: The Akasha Colony just spotted the same error, thank you Akasha!
Last edited by Solm on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Celibrae
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:01 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Celibrae wrote:

Found it. There's an error with the brackets for the wiki links in the "Official languages" section. You have one that starts with {{, rather than [[.

I am eternally and internally grateful!

How does one get images of flags and the like, if I may issue a follow-up question?

Edit: Cheers Solm!
Last edited by Celibrae on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Celibrae
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:46 am

http://iiwiki.com/wiki/ERZ-36_Panteyr

I have tried to put it in the Main Battle Tank category, but it isn't being registered as one. Any ideas?

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:08 am

Celibrae wrote:http://iiwiki.com/wiki/ERZ-36_Panteyr

I have tried to put it in the Main Battle Tank category, but it isn't being registered as one. Any ideas?

The category is apparently correctly Category:Main Battle Tank. It's non-standard capitalisation but I've edited your page to put it in the right place. (People already have a Category:Main Battle Tanks going, but the first one there has more pages in it.)
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Celibrae
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:01 am

Maltropia wrote:
Celibrae wrote:http://iiwiki.com/wiki/ERZ-36_Panteyr

The category is apparently correctly Category:Main Battle Tank. It's non-standard capitalisation but I've edited your page to put it in the right place. (People already have a Category:Main Battle Tanks going, but the first one there has more pages in it.)

Thanks!

Bubba Reb
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bubba Reb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:25 am

Is the wiki map the most recently updated version? If not, is there a link I can go to, to regularly reference the most recent version?
Bubba Rebs sock drawer
(The man, the nation, it's history, people, vehicles, trade specialties, factbook, and all kinds of other junk.)

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=bubba_reb

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:28 am

Bubba Reb wrote:Is the wiki map the most recently updated version? If not, is there a link I can go to, to regularly reference the most recent version?

Wiki map?

Bubba Reb
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Bubba Reb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 am

The map of Atlas located on the iwiki page
Bubba Rebs sock drawer
(The man, the nation, it's history, people, vehicles, trade specialties, factbook, and all kinds of other junk.)

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am

Bubba Reb wrote:The map of Atlas located on the iwiki page

That's probably not a question for this thread so much as for a talk page on Atlas or their RMB or whatever, but the current map used on the Atlas (region) article is here. Updated versions can be uploaded as a newer version with that same file name or with their own, so it's hard to tell. This was the version they used until last Sunday.
Last edited by Maltropia on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bubba Reb
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Bubba Reb » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm an idiot.

I accesed this page from an atlas based link and just assumed this was an atlas region page.

Dumb de dumb dumb duuuuuuuumb...
Bubba Rebs sock drawer

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi, the reason IIWiki is getting the script errors is that the MediaWiki and Scribunto is out of date: the latest version is 1.24.2 for MediaWiki. You would also have to update the Scribunto extension on the server as well.

Neo-Erusea
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Erusea » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Just a question regarding image media on the wiki: Is there a way to not have white background on images that otherwise would have transparent ones? I don't recall this being an issue on Wikistates, but I don't know much about wikimedia or coding or anything of the sort to know why this is the case.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:23 am

Neo-Erusea wrote:Just a question regarding image media on the wiki: Is there a way to not have white background on images that otherwise would have transparent ones? I don't recall this being an issue on Wikistates, but I don't know much about wikimedia or coding or anything of the sort to know why this is the case.

All you need to do is upload it with a transparent background and it should work fine. I uploaded this barely two days ago and it's working as intended.

Zaluena
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaluena » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 am

Maltropia wrote:
Neo-Erusea wrote:Just a question regarding image media on the wiki: Is there a way to not have white background on images that otherwise would have transparent ones? I don't recall this being an issue on Wikistates, but I don't know much about wikimedia or coding or anything of the sort to know why this is the case.

All you need to do is upload it with a transparent background and it should work fine. I uploaded this barely two days ago and it's working as intended.

I believe it might not just work with SVG images. I think they end up being rendered with a white background.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information