NATION

PASSWORD

Does your nation use dental internment?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:19 am

Aininian Charter of Civil Rights, 1984:

Section 12: A basic right is not to be subject to cruel and unusual punishment for anyone living in Ainin.
Section 13: Torture is a ridiculous and barbarious way of questionning and is illegal.

OOC: I searched for twenty minutes on Wikipedia what that meant... before I realized it was in the OP. Also, that is disgusting.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Bereia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Bereia » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 am

Dental internment? What the... *Aid whispers something*

Ah. Yet another attempt to disguise a sick desire to torture others. No, that is not allowed here. U.S. prisons are not nice places, but they do not use such sick practices.
Man exists for his own sake, and not to add a laborer to the State.

Look below for some views of mine and interesting ideas.

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Why Capitalism Works.

Classical Liberal (Libertarian) | Austrian Economics | Baptist Christian | American Citizen

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order. Thank you.

The population of Bereia is presently capped at three hundred and fifty million people. That's enough for now.

Whatsoever, for any cause,
Seeketh to take or give,
Power above or beyond the Laws,
Suffer it not to live!
Holy State or Holy King—
Or Holy People’s Will—
Have no truck with the senseless thing.
Order the guns and kill!

-- Rudyard Kipling, MacDonough's Song, 1917.

Asari Democratic Rebulic Of Thesia
Attaché

Founded: Apr 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Asari Democratic Rebulic Of Thesia » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:08 am

By the goddess thats brutal i don't think even the batarians would go that far.

Nationalist Tantalus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nationalist Tantalus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Sidhae wrote:OOC: Somebody must be very afraid of dentists here...

No, but the idea seems sound... We'll give it a try in our maximum security penal colonies, and I'm certain the Order of Judicators will appreciate the suggestion too.

(( Not necessarily. The OP could be a medical student dedicated to his/her dental studies. :P))

We have never called it such, but we have used inmates on Death Row until two centuries ago for the purpose of developing genetic engineering treatments concerning tooth-work among other things; deep within an abandoned archive several levels above the Ground-level, there might be outdated research papers concerning dental care achievements made possible only through experimentation on Death Row inmates. Needless to say, we gained an uncanny understanding of the human body's flora via (intrusive) probing of the filthiest part of the human body: The mouth.

Today, live-testing of medical treatments on Death Row inmates has largely been phased out in favor of real-time organism-simulation servers which can simulate every single cell in the human body: Without the need of ungainly (And oftentimes dangerous!) criminals to simulate biological processes, our equivalent ("Medical Internment," if you will.) system died at around the same time quantum computing came to simulate many processes even the most powerful electron-based supercomputers could not calculate.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Torture by dentistry with increased pain reception? BRILLIANT.
It's a shame that we have so few dentists in the nation, but turtles and mushrooms don't have teeth, and the humans have flourinated and extensively chemical-induced water, or they are paid to put it into their private wells.

We'll have to remember that and see if it works the next time a human is convicted of terrorism. It sounds better than waterboarding, but we can only torture so brutally before we become as bad as them. Waterboarding, sleep deprivation, and music torture are the only real methods of torture we can perform.

(Currently, the law states that we can not torture most criminals except terrorists, and we can only torture to extract evidence from those convicted of a crime.)
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Ulvena
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulvena » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Not bad...not bad at all. The Empire would use that but we have a policy on punishment for heinous crimes that require that kind of torture: All punishments must have a positive return rate. Death Penalty is exempt from this law.

So, I don't see dental internment as a method of punishment that could inject money into the economy. After all, slaves are used not just because they're being punished but also because they do jobs that no sane Ulvenan citizen would want to do. But maybe dental internment can be used to break the spirits of slaves a bit more effectively than our, "Beating with a stick" method.

The Koda Agency
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Koda Agency » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Aside from the fact that this is an outright form of torture as a method of punishment, this idea of "dental internment" is a complete waste of time. There is no profit from such procedures except to have people fear the justice system. Which, fear of those in power should never come from cruelty as punishment. Those who would be willing to commit a crime deserving of such a punishment do not care of the consequence. It will never deter those who are determined to commit a crime.
The ISKA prefers and will stick to their method of putting those who do commit crimes to work and make a use of them. Prisoners are best suited to be used to mend what they have broken.
The Incorporated States of The Koda Agency

National Motto:
“Pør Ardwa Ad Astra”
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.62
Graph

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Makaar
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Makaar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 pm

OOC:

Is anyone else concerned by the uniqueness and detail that some people go into when describing the tortures meted out on their imaginary populace? Kalasparata, Great Nepal (before he mellowed), this guy... What possesses them to sit down and actually think about this - or are they just receiving it from the voices no one else can hear? More importantly, why is this game drawing all the future serial killers?

IC:

Odonzia wrote:Does your nation use dental internment?

No, largely because it's torture, but also because I think you just made it up right now.

Putting it on your flag was a unique choice.
Makaar is ranked 323rd in the world for Most Dedicated Public Healthcare.
Makaar is ranked 272nd in the world for Largest Welfare Programs (per capita).
Makaar is ranked 408th in the world for Nicest Citizens.

Like what you see? Get an embassy in Makaar

Nationalist Tantalus
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nationalist Tantalus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Makaar wrote:OOC:

Is anyone else concerned by the uniqueness and detail that some people go into when describing the tortures meted out on their imaginary populace? Kalasparata, Great Nepal (before he mellowed), this guy... What possesses them to sit down and actually think about this - or are they just receiving it from the voices no one else can hear? More importantly, why is this game drawing all the future serial killers?

IC:

Odonzia wrote:Does your nation use dental internment?

No, largely because it's torture, but also because I think you just made it up right now.

Putting it on your flag was a unique choice.

(( Hey, some people need a place to vent their frustration on the internet! It's far better to torture imaginary citizens whom are figments of the imagination than it is to actually get out a boning knife and cut away at one's sleeping guardians. -Shrug- ))

Your people do not even utilize Death Row inmates to research pharmaceuticals? There are only so many things animal testing can do...

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Dental internment sounds insane and like a waste of money. How much money do you spend constantly operating on prisoners?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Nationalist Tantalus wrote:Your people do not even utilize Death Row inmates to research pharmaceuticals? There are only so many things animal testing can do...

OOC: ................

IC:
TurtleShroom wrote:
ARTICLE IX
AFFIRMATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE TURTLESHROOMER

The Government of TurtleShroom shall enforce nothing that may deprive another person of any rights or freedoms or limit her or his rights in any manner other than in accordance with the Constitution and laws, the rights being listed in this Article.

The Government of TurtleShroom is bound to these Rights.

[...]

) TurtleShroom shall enforce nothing that would subject any man, turtle, or mushroom to unholy experimentation against their will.

[...]

) TurtleShroom may not deny incarcerated, duly convicted criminals the right to edible food, potable water, vital emergency medicines, and visitation from the Church.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Geilinor wrote:Dental internment sounds insane and like a waste of money. How much money do you spend constantly operating on prisoners?

OOC: Well, think of it this way. It could be used to develop new methods of dentistry that would need a test subject. From the pain and torture of these poor souls, comes new revolutions in dental care. After all, it's possible to die from a toothache, and when one's teeth, gums, and/or mouth are infected or damaged, the entire body is put at risk.

OOC: Guilt stricken prison dentists could justify this human experimentation as a way to further dentistry without trials on people that did nothing to deserve the pain it would cause.

OOC: Also, all those subject to Internment would have beautiful teeth!

OOC: -but one question. Wouldn't some of this be orthodontic? If the original poster here invented dental internment, I assume that he also knows quite a lot about dentistry, and perhaps even wants to become a mad dentist. (That, or he is a Bard of Creepy Pasta that is brilliant and also terrified of dentists.)

OOC: The more I think of this, the more disturbing it becomes....... :shock:
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm

We are very interested in this procedure. We will play $20,000,000, for access to dental internment equipment for use on our prisoners.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 pm

We don't find it necessary. In fact, we find it counter-productive.

Wanton abuse, hell, positive punishment (the addition of negative stimuli) for prisoners only causes them to register the State and the society it promotes as a negative stimulus. This is scientifically proven Behaviorist psychology, not a moral dilemma.

We stick with negative punishment (removal of positive stimuli i.e. freedom). It actually works.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Sanian Confederacy
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanian Confederacy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Dental internment is viewed as a gross misuse of both equipment and dental expertise in an act of thinly veiled torture, something which is both highly frowned upon and plainly illegal with the Confederacy.
Join the Sanian Foreign Legion (SFL) Today! | Coming Soon, The Embassies and Diplomatic Program of the Sanian Confederacy
RIP the Democratic Monarchy of the SHADOW Corporation, 2009-2011
May the Bridges I Burn Light the Way to Your Return! +2319 Posts and Counting.

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:Wanton abuse and positive punishment (the addition of negative stimuli) for prisoners only causes them to register the State and the society it promotes as a negative stimulus. This is scientifically proven Behaviorist psychology.

IC: Well said. Perhaps dental internment should be less of a prison torture deterrent, and more of interrogation on duly convicted terrorists to "extract" (pun intended) information desired to stop future terror?

IC: That said, the POINT of prison is to first strike fear into the convict and break their spirit with repitious dehumanization, shame, and breaking large rocks into small rocks, thus opening them to repentance and rehabilitation ny good psychiatrists and the Church. Prison is not just justice. It is also a deterrent. Sadly, criminals never consider the consequences of their actions and their punishments.

"Oh momma, I'm in fear for my life from the Long Floss of the Law...
Tooth Squad has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home.
Oh momma, you fear for my torture, you're so scared and all alone!
Hades' Drill is coming down to my molars, and I won't have very long...

(*drill sound*)
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

The jig is up
The news is out: they've finally found me!
Renegade's cruel dental maims will pay for my crime spee!
Never more to go astray!
This will be the end today, of my teeth and soul!!
Last edited by TurtleShroom on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:42 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:
IC: Well said. Perhaps dental internment should be less of a prison torture deterrent, and more of interrogation on duly convicted terrorists to "extract" (pun intended) information desired to stop future terror?

We all know how accurate information from torture really is.

TurtleShroom wrote:IC: That said, the POINT of prison is to first strike fear into the convict and break their spirit with repitious dehumanization, shame, and breaking large rocks into small rocks, thus opening them to repentance and rehabilitation ny good psychiatrists and the Church. Prison is not just justice. It is also a deterrent. Sadly, criminals never consider the consequences of their actions and their punishments.

Negative punishment can still be a very powerful deterrent.

Positive punishment, as said before, only promotes resentment. That's why it's a bad idea to actually injure your children as punishment.

(this is, of course IC)
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

The Imperial Nexus would outlaw that as cruel and torture.

Arkiasis
Senator

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkiasis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Something like that is considered torture in Arkiasis. And as such torture in all forms is constitutionally banned is illegal. Also congratulations on being on a list of nations that we condemn for various reasons, your reason "Highly cruel and barbaric methods of torture with the goal of inflicting pain on an individual."
The Republic of Arkiasis
NSwiki | IIwiki | Factbook | Map
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56
I like: You <3
I dislike: Fax machines
Move along, nothing to see here.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am

To expand upon our earlier statements, this just seems both bizarre and pointless to us.

If the purpose is to imprison, we simply imprison. The punishment is loss of autonomy, the reduction of the criminal's freedom to less than that of a child. As well, mentally scarring prisoners could be counter-productive in that they may be more likely to commit crimes or fail to function as a member of society upon leaving prison, and increase mental health care costs. Rehabilitation is simply a more pragmatic way of doing things, as we'd really prefer not to keep trying the same criminals over and over again and imprisoning them to the point where they spend most of their lives in prison, being clothed and fed with state money, instead of being out working and paying taxes.

If the purpose is to collect information, we find that there are better ways of doing so than extreme tortures. Firstly, this dental method seems as if it would be rather expensive. If one is going to employ torture, the old fashioned needle-nosed pliers are, in our opinion, much better, mostly due to the enormous variety of scenarios that the victim runs through in their mind of possible uses for such, and this fearful anticipation, we find, is actually more useful than the torture itself. Second, information gathered under torture is often unreliable, as victims of torture will say anything that they think will make you stop torturing them. When possible, we prefer to use a very old, but very successful means of getting information out of people: money. Almost everyone has a price.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Nortoapoco
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nortoapoco » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 pm

We were unaware of such things in Nortoapoco, but a judge would be able to sentence somebody to that if he decided it was appropriate.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Considering that we're not a nation of sociopathic monsters, no we do not. In fact, the Politburo has just been called into session to pass a law against it.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Nulono
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulono » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Such a punishment is torture, and is not permitted in a civilized nation such as the USSN.
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Numbers written with an apostrophe are in dozenal unless otherwise noted.
For example, 0'3 = 0.25, and 100' = 144.

Ratios are measured in perunums instead of percent.
1 perunum = 100 percent = 84' percent

The Nuclear Fist wrote:If all it it takes to count as a five star hotel in America is having air conditioning and not letting those who reside in it die of hyperthermia, you have shitty hotels.

Republika Jugoslavija wrote:Actually nuclear war is not the world ending scenario that many would have folks believe.

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:42 pm

TurtleShroom wrote:

(*drill sound*)
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

The jig is up
Never more to go astray!

Someone write up a Security Council recommendation for this nation! :rofl: :bow:
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:08 pm

The Eternal Kawaii wrote:
TurtleShroom wrote:

(*drill sound*)
AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

The jig is up
Never more to go astray!

Someone write up a Security Council recommendation for this nation! :rofl: :bow:

Commendation or condemnation?
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information