NATION

PASSWORD

What is the main military weapon of your country?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zinaire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 am

UAWC wrote:You're welcome to visit and see for yourself if you'd like. I've got a CAAW-9 PDW which fires it and it does pretty well. Come of one of our shooting ranges, 7.62C is the most commonly used round here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, running totally biased IC "tests" does not allow you to claim a product is awesome. You can't just wank stats, give an incredibly vague explanation of how you get the stats to be so awesome, and then claim that the round has been tested and that it exceeded expectations. I love how when you get backed into a corner, you switch from your know-it-all gun fan persona to the IC "don't ask me, I'm just an ambassador" character. Stop trying to back up your fail guns with IC fappery and just accept that you've been wrong and should probably do some major redesigning.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Factbook | Embassies | ODECON | Tarquinia

Uawc
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 am

Questers wrote:
UAWC wrote:You're welcome to visit and see for yourself if you'd like. I've got a CAAW-9 PDW which fires it and it does pretty well. Come of one of our shooting ranges, 7.62C is the most commonly used round here.
You've got a fictional gun IRL? I would like to see you shoot that at the range :bow:

OOC: This is in an IC forum. Please keep in mind that this whole thing is RP, and anyone who takes anything in this thread too seriously is a douchebag.
Pro-democracy, pro-NATO, anti-authoritarian, anti-extremism.
Ex-leftist and ex-Muslim.

I stand with Ukraine and Israel.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 am

Zinaire wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, running totally biased IC "tests" does not allow you to claim a product is awesome. You can't just wank stats, give an incredibly vague explanation of how you get the stats to be so awesome, and then claim that the round has been tested and that it exceeded expectations. I love how when you get backed into a corner, you switch from your know-it-all gun fan persona to the IC "don't ask me, I'm just an ambassador" character. Stop trying to back up your fail guns with IC fappery and just accept that you've been wrong and should probably do some major redesigning.

See my above post.

Verlorenen
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Verlorenen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 am

The Walden Estates wrote:Violence is a very uncreative way to solve conflict.

Unfortunately, when people start shooting at you, you can't just yell back, "That's very uncreative, you bastards!"

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:59 am

UAWC wrote:
Questers wrote:
You've got a fictional gun IRL? I would like to see you shoot that at the range :bow:

OOC: This is in an IC forum. Please keep in mind that this whole thing is RP, and anyone who takes anything in this thread too seriously is a douchebag.
Don't you think designing your own weapons/cartridges when there's a variety of IRL ones out there is serious?
Restore the Crown

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 am

Okay, how can you have a round that is already unstable (the 7.62x39mm round), that is made more unstable in order to make it fragment (give it a deep cannelure for example), and yet somehow it is accurate?
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:01 am

Questers wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Questers wrote:

Don't you think designing your own weapons/cartridges when there's a variety of IRL ones out there is serious?

OOC:

Not as much as it seems to be to you. FFS, this is a game.

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:01 am

UAWC wrote:
Zinaire wrote:

See my above post.

You honestly want to tell me that every post you make in here is IC? If so, you have major problems with keeping your character consistent. Maybe you should take a creative writing class. And yes, I am a douchebag, but that doesn't make me any less right.
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:

Okay, how can you have a round that is already unstable (the 7.62x39mm round), that is made more unstable in order to make it fragment (give it a deep cannelure for example), and yet somehow it is accurate?

Actually, the 7.62 is extremely stable, which is the reason it doesn't fragment often. It's not as accurate as other rounds such as the 5.56 though, because of the propellant to projectile ratio.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 am

Zinaire wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Zinaire wrote:

See my above post.

You honestly want to tell me that every post you make in here is IC? If so, you have major problems with keeping your character consistent. Maybe you should take a creative writing class. And yes, I am a douchebag, but that doesn't make me any less right.

OOC: Most of my posts are.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 am

UAWC wrote:
Questers wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Questers wrote:

OOC:

Not as much as it seems to be to you. FFS, this is a game.
You can't do something totally contradictory to your own advantage under the guise of "its only a game." I don't have any problem at all of it doesn't affect other players but what you're claiming is that something you've made, which is directly contradictory, as Anglo-Saxon pointed out, gives you an IC advantage over other people. It's not about being serious, its about feasibility & fairness. Those two things are intrinsically linked in NS. If it's not contradictory, you should defend it to prove that it isn't (as you are doing now.) It's nothing to do with taking it too seriously at all.
Last edited by Questers on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Zinaire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zinaire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 am

UAWC wrote:
Zinaire wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Zinaire wrote:

See my above post.

The only posts that seem to be IC are the ones where you introduce new guns or claim you're just a lowly diplomat who can't answer the question. I really doubt such a diplomat would get dragged into an argument about the merits of x39 or ever say the phrase "moar rails".
THE REPUBLIC OF ZINAIRE
LAND OF TROPICAL PROMISE

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:12 am

UAWC wrote:

Actually, the 7.62 is extremely stable, which is the reason it doesn't fragment often. It's not as accurate as other rounds such as the 5.56 though, because of the propellant to projectile ratio.

A ballistic coefficient basically tells you how efficiently a round travels, a high ballistic coefficient means that a round has a flatter trajectory, and retains energy longer. The ballistic coefficient of the 7.62x39mm Speer 130 gr hp is 0.263, the BC of the 5.56mm Mk262 77gr is 0.362, the 6.5mm Grendel 123gr is 0.510. So your round doesn't have a flat trajectory, compared to those two rounds, now that you make it less stable, it is going to have even worse accuracy, to the point where you are basically firing off rounds with the accuracy, and that retains the energy of of pistol rounds.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:14 am

UAWC wrote:

A ballistic coefficient basically tells you how efficiently a round travels, a high ballistic coefficient means that a round has a flatter trajectory, and retains energy longer. The ballistic coefficient of the 7.62x39mm Speer 130 gr hp is 0.263, the BC of the 5.56mm Mk262 77gr is 0.362, the 6.5mm Grendel 123gr is 0.510. So your round doesn't have a flat trajectory, compared to those two rounds, now that you make it less stable, it is going to have even worse accuracy, to the point where you are basically firing off rounds with the accuracy, and that retains the energy of of pistol rounds.
Do you have a source for these lists / a formula for calculation? looks interesting & I am trying to learn more about ballistics in general.
Restore the Crown

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 am

Questers wrote:
UAWC wrote:

Do you have a source for these lists / a formula for calculation? looks interesting & I am trying to learn more about ballistics in general.

The last two are for the 6.5 Grendel's site http://www.65grendel.com/ (probably very biased), the first is from http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 64654.html .

These may, or may not have been accurate, they were the only sources I could find.
Last edited by The Anglo-Saxon Empire on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:These may, or may not have been accurate, they were the only sources I could find.

I see. According to this, .30-06 180gr spitzer has a BC of .474, so I imagine my 190gr .30-06 probably has a similar BC. Not bad, I think.
Restore the Crown

The Ularn
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ularn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:27 am

Zinaire wrote:And yes, I am a douchebag, but that doesn't make me any less right.

Sigged!:lol:
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK
PUPPET OF BARRETTSTIA

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 am

Questers wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:These may, or may not have been accurate, they were the only sources I could find.

I see. According to this, .30-06 180gr spitzer has a BC of .474, so I imagine my 190gr .30-06 probably has a similar BC. Not bad, I think.

This site calculates the ballistic coefficient of a round, all you have to do is put in the stats.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:51 am

Questers wrote:

Questers:

Tony Williams does have a very nice article explaining ballistics and some nice quick calcualtions for estimating the BC. I've pimped the article before and I will continue to do so:

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ballistics.htm
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Nyelon
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nyelon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 am

A dart gun.... darts filled with cobra venom, however some are filled with taipan venom

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 am

Zinaire wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Zinaire wrote:
UAWC wrote:
Zinaire wrote:

See my above post.

The only posts that seem to be IC are the ones where you introduce new guns or claim you're just a lowly diplomat who can't answer the question. I really doubt such a diplomat would get dragged into an argument about the merits of x39 or ever say the phrase "moar rails".

OOC: Actually, that is IC. I RP that the UAWC is informal and comical with foreign affairs.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:20 am

UAWC wrote:

By "stable" I was specifically referring to the bullet and how it reacts to impact.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am

UAWC wrote:
UAWC wrote:

By "stable" I was specifically referring to the bullet and how it reacts to impact.

How the bullet reacts after impact has absolutely no effect on how it travels, during flight your round will pretty much tumble through the air, and hit the ground after traveling 100 meters (of course this is an exaggeration, but the point is if you try too hard to make your round fragment after impact, you will cause it to be less stable in flight) if you want to increase lethality so much, just make a soft point, or hollow point bullet.

Uawc
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:37 am

UAWC wrote:
UAWC wrote:

How the bullet reacts after impact has absolutely no effect on how it travels, during flight your round will pretty much tumble through the air, and hit the ground after traveling 100 meters (of course this is an exaggeration, but the point is if you try too hard to make your round fragment after impact, you will cause it to be less stable in flight) if you want to increase lethality so much, just make a soft point, or hollow point bullet.

We have versions of both, but they aren't as good at penetration of armor and obstacles.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 am

UAWC wrote:We have versions of both, but they aren't as good at penetration of armor and obstacles.

So you have one version that can't hit the target and one version that can't penetrate it?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information