NATION

PASSWORD

NS Armoured Vehicle & Design thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

NS Armoured Vehicle & Design thread

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:36 am

NS Armoured Vehicle and Design thread

A place to discuss what armoured vehicles, wheeled or tracked or using some flotational device, are employed in your nation. This encompasses anything from Armoured Personnel Carriers, Infantry fighting vehicles right up to Self Propelled Guns and Heavy Tanks

If it has legs, it doesn't belong here. Post it in the mech thread instead

If anyone has queries or wants their armoured vehicle design critiqued, here is the place to do it. Anyone can ask a question, anyone can post an answer.

Also the place to post, brag and fap over your awesome armoured vehicle lineart.
Last edited by Vitaphone Racing on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

United Coronado
Attaché

Founded: Jun 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Coronado » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:40 am

United Coronado employs Yohannesian designed armoured vehicles as well as some home designs.

MBT: AY2-1D
Heavy Tank: AY2-1L
APC: Forza Type 6
IFV: Forza Type 7

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 am

Hammar class

Type: Medium Tank
Designed in: The absolute royal federation
Designer: Birger auf Björkenholm
Designed: 1973
Manufacturer: the royal merchant guild (Kopparbergs automobil företag)
Variants: Standard variant
Drak hammare
Howitzer hammare
Female Hammare
self propellant shell hammare

Weight: 62.3 tonnes
Length: 9.30 m
Width: 4 m
Height: 4.5 m
Crew:4 (commander, 2 gunners, driver)
Armour: 90 mm thick.
Primary armament: 1 x smoothbore 120 mm Khönungkannon
Secondary armament: 2 X 16x80mm Martin Tyngre kulsprute gevar
Fuel capacity: 1,200 liters
Fuel: Disel operated
Operational range: 550 km
Speed: 65 km/h

Background

The history of the Hammer class tracklayers started with the first Tracklayer rolled out of the factories in the middle of the Imerian civil war to be used by the royalists against the syndicalist frontlines in the hope of being able to smash through the enemy lines. While the tracklayers showed themselves to be slow cumbersome and even underpowered in a lot of field so did they show themselves to be rather nice to take cover behind for the infantry if nothing else. The designs that were adopted in these days were however something that stuck and the medium tracklayers were the forefathers of the modern medium tracklayers and even if they have been increased a lot in size and their weapon have been sized up to something that would normally be reserved for the rear artillery and the armour been a bit more slopped than the original brick wall just as the engine had been replaced so have the general outline been kept to this day.

However in 1971 was it decided that the royal guard was in the need of a new generation of Medium tracklayers and after looking on a bunch of applications and models so did the royal guard finally buy the production rights to the hammar class tracklayer of the Kopparbergs automobil företag and the tanks saw battle first just as most of the new weapons that came out during the seventies and early eighties in the first new Frelandian war where the tracklayers were used in the first and only battle supporting the naval infantry that landed to crush their enemies.

It did however play a larger role during the liberation of northern Venezue when the tracklayers advanced over the nation that had seen their government be destroyed in a nuclear blast and smashed aside bandits, rouge generals and panicking government loyalists to claim as much land as possible for the federation and even today after three years so is the sight of Hammar-class tracklayers a cherished one in the growing Imerianised Northern Venezue and the Image of tank commanders coming with food, security, stability and freedom is a very cherished one in Northern venezue.

During the The Al-Jzr Al-Khḑrān and the Vorraidian wars however were the tracklayer forced to stay in the background as most of the fighting were done in dense jungles or in the closed tunnels of the imperial city however in both wars so did the Hammar class show itself to be up to the task when it was able to fight as it shattered a Vorraidian assault in the realm of Wharmark during the Imerian expedition there.

Main cannon

To deal with enemy armour and infantry hordes, the Hammar-class medium tracklayer is armed with the bandläggare 120mm khönunga kannonen, a smoothbore conversion of the 120mm field artillery piece to be better suited to be used for combat in a tracklayer. The main cannon is capable of being loaded with as many as 20 shells in the cannon tower's magazine while another 20 shells are stored in the cannon itself and with the attached autoloader so are the cannon able to unleash a rather high rate of fire towards it's enemies. Other improvements that have been made to the cannon is a new stabilisation system that allows the cannon to fire the 120 mm HEAT shells, 120mm high explosive shrapnel shells designed to take out enemy infantry and the new 120mm self propelled shell that is able to be fired from the cannon for long range combat where the self propelled shell can take out enemy armour and artillery positions to cover the advancing infantry.

Using a 42 caliber barrel, the Hammar-class' main gun is capable of firing a conventional shell to a distance of 3800 meters, with rocket-assisted shells capable of double that.

Secondary cannons

To keep itself protected from common foot soldiers and to be able to provide covering fire for the infantry that it will support so are the Hammar-class tracklayer armed with two 16x80mm Martin Tyngre kulsprute gevar attached to the cannon tower and the front of the tank to enable it to fire both forward towards the enemy as well as towards their main target. Both machine guns have flexible mounts, so you can aim it even if the tank or cannon tower is not aiming in the right direction.

Electronics devices

To be able to face enemies on the field, the Hammar-class tracklayer is equipped with a laser range finder to help the crew aim their cannon properly, just as the driving compartment is outfitted with an electric tea boiler and small fridge to store cream and milk.

Fire control

The Hammar class medium Tracklayer is not only outfited with its standard fire control system but the gunner is also given a 8x periscope to allow him to spot and aim his cannon towards the enemies and the commander of the tank is also given a independent periscop that allows for a 2x magnification to help him keep a better eye on the battlefield.

Versions

ImageImageImageImage
Female Version

The female Medium tracklayer is armed with a shorter and thinner 50mm autocannon to deal with infantry and lighter vehicles compared to the larger cannon worn by the standard male variant even if the female variant is capable to lay down a massive amount of almost 400 rounds per minute which combined with its two machineguns makes the female variant able to hail a massive rain of destruction down upon its enemies and it have proven itself quite useful as a infantry support vehicle in larger battles

Drak hammare

Armed with an flamethrower so are the drakhammare class tracklayer designed to be used to clear out trenches, cities and dense jungles where enemies can easily find cover and could be able to hold out almost indefinitely against federal armour and infantry. However armed with the heavy flamethrower so is the drak hammare tracklayer able to launch thick flame at a target more than 100 meters away.

Howizer

Instead of being armed with the standard long 120mm canon so is the Howitzer variant armed with a short howitzer cannon which converts the tank into a attackgun that is more than able to provide covering fire as well as acting as a mobile artillery piece for the infantry and armoured units that would need to make sure that the enemy kept their heads down. As a result so are the howitzer tracklayers rarely equipped with self-propelled shells or anti tank shells but rather armed with high explosive artillery shells.

However due to the size of its cannon so does he howitzer sacrifice range for the ability to fire indirectly at enemy targets.

Self-propelled shell version

Armed with six longrange missiles so is this variant a long range support vehicle as it can fire at targets at a much greater distance than the normal cannon is able to do, it is also equipped with a better targeting computer which enables it to also carry SAM's to deal with incoming airplanes.
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 am

I've always loved the retro look of your tanks :p
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 am

Well, since the mods blew the old thread up I might as well try again. :evil:

I really want to continue the design discussion on my super heavy tank design.
Stats so far:

Length: 10.24m
Length (gun forward): 12.4m
Width: 3.8m (4.2m with counter-slope armor)
Mass: hopefully about 200T empty.

Front Armor: 2m of modern composites. NOT 2000mm RHA equivalent but 2000mm of modern composite insanity.

My questions:
Any guess on the mass of the vehicle? Will I be able to fit it at <=200 metric tons?
And what do you think of the size of the space for the driver? (1400mm long)
And what do you think of the height of the space the crew members are in? (1240mm high)
Are they too much? In particular I am leaning toward dropping the height to around 900mm or 1m or so.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 am

AFAIK, 1.4 metre length and 1.2 metre height is cramped but is compareable to existing tanks, 1.2m is easily enough to crawl in. As for the rest, I'd have to know what composites and stuff you're using to estimate the weight.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:AFAIK, 1.4 metre length and 1.2 metre height is cramped but is compareable to existing tanks, 1.2m is easily enough to crawl in. As for the rest, I'd have to know what composites and stuff you're using to estimate the weight.

My estimate was based off an eyeball and no actual numbers. I figured that it can't possibly weigh in at more than 1/3 of a whole modern tank.
My numbers thou (just ran them) give me an approximate volume of 10 cubic meters for the armor, and given the density of steel that would make 78 tons. So yes, I was wrong.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 am

How did you work out your figures out of curiousity? A blueprint with the armour shaded in and a scale drawing would be good here.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.

ayy lmao

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:11 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:How did you work out your figures out of curiousity? A blueprint with the armour shaded in and a scale drawing would be good here.

Well, the front armor is 2m long. The hull is 3.8m wide, but assuming average sized tracks (about 300mm on either side) that drops to 3.5m. And the hull is 1.54m tall. I just ignored the front sloping and calculated for that box. I mean, it's not like a 5 degree slope will account for any real weight reduction.

I am currently working on a blueprint but the dimensions of the vehicle in particular keep changing and shifting.

Also, I am planing for the top hull armor to be 100mm and the bottom armor to be 200mm. Is that too much?
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 am

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:35 am

Well, my revised math puts the front hull armor at about 65T (assuming RHA). Does anyone have an idea how to convert that mass into modern composites without actually designing my own highly detailed composite armor. (I just need a very rough estimate)

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:44 am

My MBT
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Yanitaria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanitaria » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:48 am

Yohannes wrote:My MBT

Shopped, I can tell for sure. Tanks are incapable of flight, just like dodos, elephants, and John Goodman.
HaSapot wa Soptim biCanhadast
Not Yanitaria

Embassy

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 am

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 am

National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 am

New Hayesalia wrote:

Wrong file, Yohannes.

Nope. That was an old link. This. :p
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 am

Yanitaria wrote:
Yohannes wrote:My MBT(Image)

Shopped, I can tell for sure. Tanks are incapable of flight, just like dodos, elephants, and John Goodman.

D:<
Last edited by Yohannes on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:10 am

Yohannes wrote:

Nope. That was an old link. This. :p

Why you Kiwi...

Don't you overawesome now.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 am

Yanitaria wrote:

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 am

The Altair Technologies AAC-22 "Provocator" Armored Assault/Cover Vehicle

Armaments (standard)-
1x65 mm. depleted uranium assault cannon (turret-mounted)
2x20 mm. ferric tungsten machine guns (side mounted)
1x7.88 mm. M118 light machine gun (pintle-mounted)

Stats-
Weight- 14 tons
Height- 9 feet
Length- 17 feet
Speed- 35 mph.
Crew- 5 (2 pilots, 1 main gunner, 1 auxiliary gunner, 1 tank commander)
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:30 am

Say, do you think that 200mm RHA across the floor is enough to make my tank impervious to AT mines? And what if I made it 200mm modern composite armor instead?

Equally so. Do you think that 100mm is enough for the top hull armor (not turret top, just the hull in places like just above the driver and engine)?

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:34 am

Purpelia wrote:Say, do you think that 200mm RHA across the floor is enough to make my tank impervious to AT mines? And what if I made it 200mm modern composite armor instead?

Equally so. Do you think that 100mm is enough for the top hull armor (not turret top, just the hull in places like just above the driver and engine)?

That's a lot of armor, don't you think?
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:38 am

Purpelia wrote:Say, do you think that 200mm RHA across the floor is enough to make my tank impervious to AT mines? And what if I made it 200mm modern composite armor instead?

Are talking about blast or shaped charge mines?
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:

Nah. It's barely 10% of my glacis plate. (Before we account for sloping)

Immoren wrote:

Are talking about blast or shaped charge mines?

AT mines, period. Anything up to but excluding burred Davy Crocketts.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:43 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:

Never enuff armor.

Wait what happened to Nathi's tank thread? :blink:

In any case, more free advertising.

T-110 ‘Ogre’ Main Battle Tank
Proposal Sketches of the T-110

A Completed T-110 Ogre

Key Stats

Crew: 3 (Driver, Gunner, Commander)

Size
Height: 2.5 meters
Width: 3.5 meters
Hull Length (w/ Gun Forward): 8.3 meters (11.7 meters)
Weight: 73.2 metric tonnes

Propulsion
Engine: EHE 6G-4 Engine w/ 2x Integral APU & 1x Non-Integral APU
Engine Horsepower: 1,740 horsepower
Power-Weight Ratio: 23.7 hp/tonne
Maximum Speed: 65 kph
Range: 380 kilometers (580 kilometers w/ External Fuel Tanks)

Weaponry
Main: TA17 140 mm 55 Calibre Smoothbore
Shells Carried: 30
Coaxial: ISAW-11 Heavy Machine Gun
Secondary: 2x AGW-19 30 mm Autocannon
Shells Carried: 400 per gun
Commander’s Weapon: 1x ISAW-11 Heavy Machine Guns
Rounds Carried: 1,200

Defensive Systems
Armor: Anyova-II Armor w/ Marble ERA
Active Defense Systems: TFA-17 Blinder Mk II, Colossus Active Defense System, White Phosphorous Grenade Launcher

Summary
The T-110 is the weapon of choice for the Armored units within the Lubyankan Army. Equipped with the state of the art TA17 smoothbore cannon and the most advanced passive and active defense systems available, the Ogre is a tank that can stand up to the most advanced war machines of the day. While slower than its T-105 predecessor, and significantly more expensive, the Ogre is heavily armed and armored, and can face up against the worst that its enemies can throw at it.

History and Combat Record
Although the T-105 Orc had its attributes, its underpowered gun, and increasingly ineffective armor had rendered it unsuitable for front line use as a main battle tank. Although it’s unusually high power to weight ratio allowed the venerable Orc to continue to serve on as a medium tank, the Lubyakan Army needed a new main battle tank if it wanted to remain competitive in the world, and they turned to Erotan Heavy Engineering to provide the solution.

The Army’s primary desire was two fold: 1) they wished for a tank equipped with a main gun that could reliably penetrate the armor/shielding of the modern main battle tanks fielded by nations like Hippostania or the Greater Pony Herd, and 2) the tanks armor had to be able to stand up to firepower from the same vehicles. Development work on the Ogre began in the late 1990s, with the final product reaching full production capacity in 2003. EHE designers produced many proposed designs, and collaborated with other major Lubyakan companies in an attempt to produce a vehicle that could satiate the army’s needs. Eventually, the current design for the T-110 ‘Ogre’ was settled upon.

Unlike the T-105 Orc, which was a mere upgrade from the T-100 Griffon that preceded it, the Ogre was a radically new design. The small hull of the Griffon--which dated to the 1960s--was abandoned, and a new, much larger hull design was utilized instead. The main reason behind this was the fact that the hull of the Griffon was simply too small to mount the turret EHE had envisioned would be necessary to mount the new 140 mm gun they had deemed necessary to remain competitive in the field. The resulting larger size of hull allowed EHE to redesign the turret to an even larger size, allowing them to mount additional equipment in the turret. Furthermore, the T-105 ‘Orc’ had still relied upon the old Anyova-I armor package, which had originally been derived in the late 1970s. Although upgraded, it was recognized that the Ogre could not use such an outdated system and fulfill the second part of the Army’s requirements. As such, research and development devised the Anyova-II armor system, which, when combined with the newly perfected Marble ERA, along with improved active defense systems was believed to allow the Ogre to fulfill the Army’s requirements for protection.

It was feared that the larger heavier tank would overtax the engine, and make the vehicle unacceptably slow. However, the solution was found in the new EHE 6G-4 gas turbine engine. Although it suffered from the same high rate of fuel consumption that had made EHE engineers declare its mounting in the T-105 infeasible, the larger size of the T-110s hull enabled them to install larger fuel tanks, and developments in efficiency of the gas turbine engine enabled the vehicle to maintain a respectable combat range, despite the nature of its propulsion system.

The T-110 Ogre was first issued to Lubyakan Army armored units in 2002, and production had been stepped up considerably since then, with all units marked to be equipped with the tank fully equipped by late 2009. At that time, Erotan Heavy Engineering was issued an export license for the vehicle, and T-110 Ogres were authorized for export to allied nations of the Dominion.

Proposed Prototype of the T-110

The T-110 was rarely exported, unlike the T-105. Although the lessons that the Ilenan Solar Empire learned on the northern fields were analyzed, and applied to the design process, the T-110 first saw action in the 3rd Hegemonic War, where Ogres formed the maintstay of Lubyakan armored units in their counter attack on the Hegemonic forces there. As a proof of concept, the battle was successful, and Ogres made a good showing of themselves in running tank battles with Hegemonic T-2 tanks in the open fields to the east of Peacian lines. The upgrades to the gun system and armor were proven most effective, and although some issues with the vehicles APU’s when idling were identified, they were swiftly corrected in upgrades. Lubyakan crews, in particular, fond themselves fond of the Ogre’s amenities, which proved critical to morale during the second, more defensive, portion of the War.

Armarment
Part of the development process that helped shape the the T-110 into the tank it is now was the decision of EHE that a larger, 140 mm gun would be necessary to help meet the demands for a tank that could successfully engage the armor of other, more recent main battle tanks. In addition, it was determined that conventional solid propellants would not be sufficient to produce a gun with sufficient velocity to defeat enemy armor, even with the redesign to accommodate a 140 mm main gun. Multiple options were explored including: railguns, coilguns, as well as regenerative and bulk loaded liquid propellant guns, and electro-thermo chemical guns. It was initially hoped that the same magic-technology fusion that resulted in Marble Explosive Reactive Armor would enable the creation of a magic battery that could be used to power a rail or coilgun, but it was determined that even magic-technology fusions could produce a battery storage efficient enough to power such a weapon. Although liquid propellants provided some hope, it was determined that bulk loaded liquid propellants were too unreliable, and regenerative guns were likewise too vulnerable to damage to serve in a main battle tank (although their design was marked for consideration as a potential technology for a self-propelled howitzer gun.

In the end, the ETC design was selected as the most feasible weapon for the new gun. Painstaking effort was devoted to the design in an attempt to overcome issues with the plasma fuse system the gun design called for, but in the end the combination of the unique abilities of unicorns, along with extensive research in the field by EHE R&D division resulted in a gun of quality nearly unsurpassed in other regionally produced vehicles. In field tests, the newly designated TA17 140 mm 55 calibre smoothbore gun demonstrated the ability to penetrate armor equivalent to most modern main battle tanks with relative ease. Although flaws in the design of the TA17’s APFSDS (known colloquially as an ‘alicorn’ round) resulted in the kinetic penetrator being vulnerable to the impact of heavy ERA were discovered, the flaws were quickly corrected, and later tests seemed to confirm that any issues with alicorn round s being defeated by heavy ERA had been corrected. In addition, an ISAW-11 Heavy Machine Gun was mounted co-axially to the main gun, in order to serve as a back up range finder in the even that the T-110's ample electronic fire control systems are somehow disabled.

A Close up of a T-110’s Turret Mounted 30 mm Autocannons

The secondary armament of the T-110 was one of the more interesting design choices by EHE engineers, as the side mounted AGW-19 30 mm autocannons seemed to add needless mechanical complexity, while compromising the design of the vehicle for minimal effectiveness against secondary targets. However, the design choice was made as a result of analysis of the use of the co-axial 35 mm autocannon in the T-105. In multiple after action reports, crews reported their feeling that a 35 mm round was 'overkill' against the thin skinned IFVs, APCs and other vehicles that it was meant to engage, as well as lamenting the fact that the co-axial mount simply lacked the elevation capability to engage targets at higher elevations.

The decision to include the 30 mm guns was one of the more controversial ones in the T-110 project. Some engineers claimed that it was better to build a mechanically simpler tank, and simply encourage the sale of the new T-100D ‘Troll’ H-IFV or even ZSU-101 ‘Recluse’ SPAAGs to provide the necessary firepower. However, it was determined that the ability to integrate the weapon system into one vehicle would cut costs over buying multiple vehicles, and as the T-110 was meant to be much more heavily armored than either the T-100D, or ZSU-101, would make the guns themselves much more survivable. Indeed, although the thin skinned ZSU-101 was meant to serve as front line anti-air defense, it was fount to be severely lacking in staying power on a battlefield. The decision to integrate some form of anti-air capability into the main battle tank platform was a major factor in the decision to include the guns, as was the realization that the twin 30 mm guns would enable the T-110 to rapidly engage and eliminate thin skinned vehicles and infantry without the need to utilize the large and expensive 140 mm ETC shells.

With size increase of the turret already planned, it was simple enough to increase the turret’s size even more to accompany the necessary ammunition storage space for the twin 30 mm autocannons. The twin 30 mm guns were mounted in such a way that they could freely rotate from an elevation of -5⁰ to +60⁰, thus allowing a weapon that could rotate quickly from low level firing engaging street level infantry or light vehicles, to high level firing engaging infantry at high elevations—or even low flying attack helicopters. Although the fact that the guns must rotate with such a large and heavy turret limits their effectiveness against such nimble attack craft, the units of Ogres are often able to utilize their guns to cover each other, creating a reasonably effective simulation of the cover a pair of ZSU-101 SPAAGs might provide.

The final piece of the puzzle in terms of the Ogre’s armament is a single ISAW-11 heavy machine gun mounted in a remote weapon station. Almost identical to the weapon mounted upon the Orc that preceded it, the heavy machine gun exists to provide the commander both a better view of the battlefield than periscopes alone might provide, as well as serving as a defensive mechanism against hostile infantry, who may seek to engage the large Ogre at close range, in an attempt to take advantage of the slow rotation speed of its heavy turret, and length of its main gun.

Defenses

While EHE performed well with the design of the Ogre’s new weaponry, the issue of armor had become a major issue to be considered. The Anyova-I armor that had served as the primary passive defense of the T-105, and the T-100 before it was succesful in its time, but the modern guns of some tanks that the T-110 was meant to face on equal terms greatly outweighed the defensive potential of even multiple layers of Anyova-I armor--especially when accounting for the extra bulk that mounting multiple layers of armor would entail. A new solution was needed for the T-110 to serve properly as a main battle tank.

Instead, Anyova-II armor was developed as a new form of passive defense for Lubyakan main battle tanks, with the T-110 being the first vehicle it would be fitted to. Anyova-II armor retained the basic structure of the Anyova-I armor system that preceded it, but added several additional methods of protection. In addition to increasing the thickness of the two layers of Rota Armor, and the ceramic layer sandwiched between the two, additional layers of armor--and changes in the existing layers of armor--were added in order to increase the efficiency of the armor.

The first change was an additional layer between the first Rota armor plate, and the ceramic second layer. This new layer was filled with aerogel, serving as spaced armor for all portions of the vehicles that have the Anyova-II armor attached. The spacing was meant to provide an additional layer of protection against HEAT weapons, insulating the interior of the tank against flame or heat based weapons, as well as allowing the layers beneath to be placed in such a way as to take hits at much shallower angles than the sloped hull exterior would imply, thus limiting the number of ceramic plates even a glancing hit which penetrated the first layer of the Anyova-II armor would damage while at the same time allowing the outer hull of the tank to be curved enough to potentially deflect hits. The layout of the ceramic layer was also changed. Instead of being composed of single large plates of ceramic material, which tests found were quickly pulverized by multiple impacts, the new ceramic layer was composed of many--much smaller--tiles, arranged in such a way as to further prevent a shell impact from shattering too many such panels in one hit, thus crippling the tank’s protective systems. On top of the redesigned ceramic plates, a new formula for the ceramic plates themselves was introduced in the T-110, providing a much harder plate than the ones found in the T-105. The increased hardness of the tiles helps to increase the resistance they provide to more conventional kinetic penetrators. In addition to the spaced armor layer and improved ceramic, Anyova-II armor incorporates a depleted uranium mesh on top of the ceramic layer in order to provide a backing for the ceramic, as well as providing a potential back up for the tank’s protection after the ceramic layer has been damaged by combat operations. Unlike Anyova-I, in addition to the second Rota backing plate behind the ceramic layer, Anyova-II armor incroporates an aluminum layer, to provide a final stopping layer for any kinetic energy rounds that may have penetrated the rest of the tank's armor. The final layer is mounted within the tank itself, and consists of a spall liner made of YellowApplan produced spidersilk to stop any fragments from impacts to the tanks outer hull from injuring the crew inside.

In addition to its armor, the T-110 is equipped with a TFA-17 Blinder Mk II laser jamming system. An improved version of the TFA-15 Blinder Mk I, the Mk II is utilized to interrupt the guidance system of laser and infrared guided ATGMs, thus serving as a softkill active defense system. However, unlike the T-105, the T-110 also includes the Colossus Active Defense System. While the Blinder Mk II is a soft kill system, using jammers and other such equipment to defeat an ATGMs guidance system without destroying the missile itself, the Colossus ADS uses a more direct approach, using a doppler radar system in conjunction with a high speed computer to direct a series of small rockets arrayed around the base of the turret at incoming anti-tank missiles and/or shells, hopefully destroying them before they impact the T-110’s armor.

Graphic Explanation of the Colossus ADS in Action
An inbound hostile ATGM (4) is detected by the doppler radar assembly (2) at approximately 50 meters (5). The radar instructs the rocket launcher assembly (1) to fire a projectile to intercept and destroy the inbound ATGM. (3)

In tests, the system has been shown to be reasonably effective, destroying: ATGMs launched by both ground troops and aircraft (including attack helicopters), small tube rockets as fired by infantry, and in some cases even successfully intercepted high speed tank rounds. The installation of the Colossus System did place a strain on the vehicles APU power when the engine was switched to idle, and thus necessitated the installation of a separate APU dedicated solely to powering the Colossus. Although the system increased the weight of the vehicle by nearly a ton, the increased survivability was judge to be more than worth the weight.

Finally, the T-110 is equipped with the same white phosphorous grenade launcher that was installed about the T-105. Like the T-105, these grenade launchers are used to create smoke screens that mask the tank’s visibility both to visible light, and to infrared sensors. They are also used in last ditch scenarios to keep hostile infantry away from the tank.

Engine

The extra weight of all the systems that had been installed on the T-110 meant that the use of the diesel engine that had powered the T-105 would have left the tank relatively underpowered, and incapable of the performance expected of a main battle tank. While the loss of range was regrettable, it was finally determined that the only way the tank could achieve a level of performance that approached that of previous main battle tanks was to move for the installation of a gas turbine engine.

Eventually, the 6G-4 was selected as the engine for the job, as--although it retained the high fuel consumption inherent to its class--the engine was efficient enough to grant the T-110 a range of nearly 500 kilometers with external tanks, without requiring a major redesign of hull interior space to allow for increased fuel capacity. In addition, the 6G-4 cam equipped with two integral APUs, which were able to completely power all of the tanks crew amenities and sensors with the main engines switched off. This arrangement guaranteed that the tank would be capable of maintaining a defensive position, while still maintaining the fuel supplies necessary to switch into an attack operation without having to be refuelled by vulnerable resupply vehicles.

Electronics and Crew Amenities

During the design process of the T-110, experience from the actions of T-105s and previous generations convinced EHE engineers that increased guns and armor could only go so far if the electronic systems guiding such weapons and vehicles were of sub-par quality. As it was, EHE sub-contracted engineering of the computer systems on the T-110 to Turvokan-Farmer Aerospace (TFA), recognizing the superiority of TFA’s experience in the computer field. Cooperation with TFA allowed EHE to install computer systems of the highest quality into the tank.

While the specifics may have improved, the basic concept of the T-110’s computer systems remain the same. Like the T-105 before it, the fire control system of the T-110 track potential targets as they are detected by the vehicle’s sensors, and then provides the vehicle’s gunner with potential firing solutions as they are requested. The computer systems of the T-110 are improved over the T-105, and are capable of tracking at least 8 individual main battle tank sized targets at any one time.

However, perhaps the biggest change in the T-110s’ computer systems would be the inter-tank communication systems. Using high-speed encrypted datalinks, the T-110’s computer systems are able to share information with any vehicle--or unit for that matter--tied into the HIVE Battle Command System (HIVE-BCS). This allows even small units to coordinate their fire, and may even allow a tank to fire upon a target that it can not see, but was spotted by infantry on the ground, a scout pegasus, or other such systems. T-110’s computer systems can also be granted a software upgrade in order to turn them into ‘command tanks’, and when paired with an appropriate hardware upgrade, a single command T-110 can seamlessly coordinate batallion sized forces tied into the HIVE-BCS. T-110s can serve as command vehicles for larger formations, but they are often paired with a modified BTR-110 which holds the communication equipment necessary to handle the bandwith required to properly coordinate such large forces.

In addition, EHE sought to make the life for the tank’s crew as comfortable as possible. Like the T-105, the T-110 incorporates air conditioning and heating in order to provide a climate controlled environment for the crew regardless of location. In addition, the T-110 incorporates a fully isolated computer system that the crew can use for their own personal use--and can connect to the internet via any civilian wireless connection, thus allowing troops to remain in contact with home as much as possible. The design also incorporates internal and external speakers, which can be fed music via a standard civilian MP3 or CD player connection. The design also incorporates a larger refrigeration chamber, allowing the crew to hold onto supplies of cold beverages without leaving the vehicle. All in all, these systems are designed to help maintain crew morale, no matter the situation.

A Pair of T-110s on Exercise.
NOTE: The flamethrowers mounted upon these vehicles appear to be crew modifications, and are not a part of the T-110 design.

Contract

A single unit of the T-110 Main Battle Tank is available for the price of NS$ 10,500,000 per unit. The purchase of more than 100 T-110s authorizes the user to domestic production rights of the vehicle’s ammunition and spare parts, although Anyova-II armor and Marble ERA must be purchased directly from EHE or any other authorized supplier, as DPR for such equipment remain unavailable.

Domestic Production Rights for the T-110 are available for NS$ 55,000,000,000. DPR grants production to the T-110, and a steep discount on the purchase of Anyova-II and Marble ERA.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information