NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Mk.IV

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next Ground Vehicle thread?

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
19%
Transnapastain
12%
Lubyak
8%
Risen Britannia
31%
The Alaska Colony
12%
Orussia
9%
The Kievan People
9%

Total votes : 265

Discordant Schism
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Discordant Schism » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:58 am

The Kievan People wrote:
Discordant Schism wrote:
Discord has based much of its armor on the concept of 'fire and maneuver' due to the fact that its industrial capacity is rather low and cannot waste materials on large Cold War-type engagements. Additionally, the mountainous terrain makes it hard to field large numbers of heavy, Chobham-equipped main battle tank. Instead, the light tank/tank destroyer concept is used: The Sanskrit Tank Destroyer is the most-used weapon by Discord tank battalions.

The concept of the Sanskrit is functionally similar to that of the M1128 Stryker and B1 Centauro: Mount a powerful gun on a fast, somewhat armored chassis. The Sanskrit is made with mountain warfare specifically in mind and comes off as a first-rate 8x8 tank destroyer.

The Sanskrit is the evolution of Discordian warfare. Because Discord has been historically invaded many times, the people have to get by sometimes by the skin of their teeth. Parts can easily be swapped and the tank has electronics that are backed up by World War II-era technologies so it is not easily broken. It's main gun is an L11A5 120mm rifled tank gun. The turret is very similar to that of the Merkava II or Soviet-bloc tanks: Small, optimized for low cross section. The L11A5 gun is equipped with an autoloader to load rounds at a maximum of 1 round every six seconds from a revolving magazine. The magazine is directly below the turret and stores eighteen rounds ready to fire. The fire control system uses a laser rangefinder backed up by a telemeter-type rangefinder and the gun is designed to shoot on the move. The 120mm gun is accurate out to 4000 meters with the APFSDS shot and twice that with guided shots. For shots under 2000 meters, the coaxial .50 caliber gun is used: The .50 caliber bullets have ballistics similar to the 120mm guns at those ranges.

The armor does not use depleted uranium or other exotic materials: They are very heavy and, despite having the best damage protection for tank armor, is not suitable for the Sanskrit tank destroyer. Instead, RHA and ceramic with aluminum backing plates is used to allow protection up to 76mm HEAT shells. Bolt-on applique armor can be used, as well as Kontakt-5 based ERA. Additionally, an active defense system based on the Iron Fist countermeasure helps protect the Sanskrit against KEPs and RPGs.

The driver sits in between the wheel pods in a very reclined position, seeing the world from a camera/periscope hybrid. The commander sits below the turret bustle, just in front of the engine, and uses two cameras(mounted behind the driver's camera periscope and on top of the turret). The gunner sits just below the autoloader(above the commander) and uses both a smaller camera on the turret and shares the larger one the commander uses. There are two hatches the crew can use: The driver can open the hatch behind him that is just in front of the turret, and the commander and loader use a hatch below them for emergencies, when they do not get in from the same hatch the driver uses.

The engine is a 400 hp diesel with a six-speed transmission(four forward, two reverse). The turbocharger allows for better fuel economy and power for moving fast, helping the Sanskrit on its maneuver warfare mission.

The problem here is that tracked vehicles have more tactical mobility and would be better suited to your shoot-scoot requirements in almost every way (they also have a lower profile). Wheeled vehicles are only more mobile on road. Mountains aside your thinking isn't far removed from what led to the Leopard 1.

As questers said a very light tank is what you want.

I'm going for a Centuaro-like tank destroyer here. Tanks get far more traction with caterpillar treads but aren't always as fast. Plus, I put articulation in the Sanskrit for greater mobility.

The Leopard 1 is an MBT. That's not the mission here.

United States of PA
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of PA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:04 am

Discordant Schism wrote:I'm going for a Centuaro-like tank destroyer here. Tanks get far more traction with caterpillar treads but aren't always as fast. Plus, I put articulation in the Sanskrit for greater mobility.

Your "mission" is incredibly similar to what caused the Leopard 1 to be design. The Leo 1 is quite possibly the most mobile MBT to be designed at just 40 tonnes. Thats lighter than many Soviet Tanks.

In order to get decent armor and weaponry on a Wheeled vehicle, your looking at a 10x10 or 12x12 weight at or more than 30 tonnes, and even than nearly any tank would basically one shot your vehicle.

Tanks work in Mountains and all, just ask Switzerland with their Leopard 2s.

EDIT: Also, all your "mobility" goes for shit once your offroad.
Last edited by United States of PA on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
In other words, conservatives are generous with their own money, and liberals are generous with other peoples money.
"I object and take exception to everyone saying that Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money." ~ Unknown
"See, it doesn't matter how many people you have, how old your civilization is, or any such tripe. We're still the by-God US of A and we will seriously bitch slap you so hard your ancestors going back millenia will feel it if you piss us off."

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:12 am

We employ the use of the M1A1SA, the T72BA ERA, the M60 Patton, and the M48 Patton as Main Battle Tanks. We use the SK-105 Kürassier as our Light Tank.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:18 am

Discordant Schism wrote:I'm going for a Centuaro-like tank destroyer here. Tanks get far more traction with caterpillar treads but aren't always as fast. Plus, I put articulation in the Sanskrit for greater mobility.

^What PA said...

You are making the common mobility = road speed fallacy. Tactical Mobility, which is what you are describing, is determined by a vehicles off road performance and it's ability to traverse difficult terrain. Wheeled vehicles are bad at this. A wheeled tank destroyer would win a drag race down the highway with a light tank, but the minute they go off-road the light tank will drive circles around it. Possibly literally. Wheeled vehicles can be completely disabled by terrain that a light tank (or even a regular main battle tank) will plough through.

Wheeled vehicles are only more mobile on an Operational scale where road speed can be a decisive factor. This is far more interesting for an army geared towards bold offensive manoeuvres than a small defensive force.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 am

Sieg Zeon!
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:58 am

IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 am

I don't know. I mean it is a tracked vehicle. And it does have a hull machine gun and turret. (Even thou the turret is shaped like a human torso and head). So technically it could qualify as a tank if you ask me. Really, IMHO what will decide is how those arms are used. If they are just for show and fixed weapon mounts RWS style than it's a tank. If they are used to flail around like human arms are or worse yet grasp stuff than it's a mech.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 am

I just noticed the guns seem....suggestive :lol:
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 am

Chinese Regions wrote:I just noticed the guns seem....suggestive :lol:

Lol. :P

Anyway, I'd say its more of tank, since what it uses to get around with are the tracks, after all.
Last edited by Anacasppia on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 am

A tank is a vehicle. What was posted doesn't look like a vehicle, it looks like a robot. Whether or not it's a mech is up for debate but it sure as hell isn't a tank.

Anacasppia wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:I just noticed the guns seem....suggestive :lol:

Lol. :P

Anyway, I'd say its more of tank, since what it uses to get around with are the tracks, after all.

Lots of things have tracks
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:42 am

It's a tracked armored fighting vehicle.

So yeah, it's a tank, albeit a terrible one.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

Daemyrs
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Daemyrs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:22 pm

The M-0X is the primary main battle tank of the Unified States of Daemyrs ground forces. It mounts a 120mm main armament, with the ability to mount up to a 135mm cannon, as well as a coaxial .50 machine gun, as well as a .50 commander's weapon. The vehicle is propelled by a rear-mounted diesel turbine power-plant, combined with a 9 gear automated transmission. Its armor is a classified titanium ceramic lattice, with auto-reactive applique plates.
Verkhoyansk Treaty M-0X, Woodland Pattern

Sahara camouflage pattern M-0X

Type 1 Woodland camouflage pattern M-0X

Type 2 Woodland camouflage pattern M-0X

V.T. M-0X in the field

Standard paint scheme, M-0X/E (Export variant)

Standard paint scheme, M-0X

M-0X without side skirts, standard paint scheme

Sahaylan M-0X
Just call me Alex or Daemyrs.

So Much Win
Birkaine wrote: Whydoes everyhitler orgy have to beinterrupted bysome negro freemanson waging his personal jihad

Birkaine wrote: If you were in her place you'd looklike a hippo'sasshole that crashed againsta shipment of DIY abortion VHSinstruction tapes

Birkaine wrote: She said she hadn'tseen so manyassholes abusing permaban power since Joseph Mengele gotinto proctology

Birkaine wrote: I'm not in germanyusea, I can fuckall the nazisI want

Ularn wrote:
Anacasppia wrote: The French sure are good at designing reconnaissance vehicles

They're important when planning a swift and orderly retreat

Jedi8246 wrote:It suddenly occurs to me. If the Necron are all made of metal, wouldnt a giant magnet fuck their entire army?

Salutem
Diplomat

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Salutem » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 pm

My hand-drawn hovertank. :D

TK-527

Affectionately nicknamed "The Overkill".
Future-Tech
Salus omnia
Survival is everything

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:59 am

United States of PA wrote:EDIT: Also, all your "mobility" goes for shit once your offroad.

"Vextra 105 covered 200km on very soft sandy tracks at speeds greater than 50km/h, reaching top speeds of 120km/hr on roads."
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 am

Risen Britannia wrote:
United States of PA wrote:EDIT: Also, all your "mobility" goes for shit once your offroad.

"Vextra 105 covered 200km on very soft sandy tracks at speeds greater than 50km/h, reaching top speeds of 120km/hr on roads."

Stryker MGS...Why did they put such a big cannon on an already groaning suspension?>
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:31 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Risen Britannia wrote:"Vextra 105 covered 200km on very soft sandy tracks at speeds greater than 50km/h, reaching top speeds of 120km/hr on roads."

Stryker MGS...Why did they put such a big cannon on an already groaning suspension?>

It is Vextra 105 not Stryker MGS.
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 am

Immoren wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

It is Vextra 105 not Stryker MGS.

The wiki entry is 2 sentences XD. SO its a French Stryker MGS
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Risen Britannia wrote:"Vextra 105 covered 200km on very soft sandy tracks at speeds greater than 50km/h, reaching top speeds of 120km/hr on roads."
(Image)

That is far from being a Stryker or even an IFV. The French sure are good at designing reconnaissance vehicles - Panhard EBR was a pretty good example and this one an even better one. Average speed of 110km/h on roads plus 105mm gun is quite incredible relative to its contemporaries.
Last edited by Anacasppia on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 am

Risen Britannia wrote:

Speed =/= mobility, except in the strategic sense. Which is obviously irrelevant in combat.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 am

Anacasppia wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

That is far from being a Stryker or even an IFV. The French sure are good at designing reconnaissance vehicles - Panhard EBR was a pretty good example and this one an even better one. Average speed of 110km/h on roads plus 105mm gun is quite incredible relative to its contemporaries.

115km is like...55mph i think... Wouldn't the damn thing roll? It looks way top heavy
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Daemyrs
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Daemyrs » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 am

Could somebody kindly help me create specs for this vehicle?

Daemyrs wrote:The M-0X is the primary main battle tank of the Unified States of Daemyrs ground forces. It mounts a 120mm main armament, with the ability to mount up to a 135mm cannon, as well as a coaxial .50 machine gun, as well as a .50 commander's weapon. The vehicle is propelled by a rear-mounted diesel turbine power-plant, combined with a 9 gear automated transmission. Its armor is a classified titanium ceramic lattice, with auto-reactive applique plates.
Verkhoyansk Treaty M-0X, Woodland Pattern
(Image)

Sahara camouflage pattern M-0X
(Image)

Type 1 Woodland camouflage pattern M-0X
(Image)

Type 2 Woodland camouflage pattern M-0X
(Image)

V.T. M-0X in the field
(Image)

Standard paint scheme, M-0X/E (Export variant)
(Image)

Standard paint scheme, M-0X
(Image)

M-0X without side skirts, standard paint scheme
(Image)

Sahaylan M-0X
(Image)
Just call me Alex or Daemyrs.

So Much Win
Birkaine wrote: Whydoes everyhitler orgy have to beinterrupted bysome negro freemanson waging his personal jihad

Birkaine wrote: If you were in her place you'd looklike a hippo'sasshole that crashed againsta shipment of DIY abortion VHSinstruction tapes

Birkaine wrote: She said she hadn'tseen so manyassholes abusing permaban power since Joseph Mengele gotinto proctology

Birkaine wrote: I'm not in germanyusea, I can fuckall the nazisI want

Ularn wrote:
Anacasppia wrote: The French sure are good at designing reconnaissance vehicles

They're important when planning a swift and orderly retreat

Jedi8246 wrote:It suddenly occurs to me. If the Necron are all made of metal, wouldnt a giant magnet fuck their entire army?

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Anacasppia wrote:

115km is like...55mph i think... Wouldn't the damn thing roll? It looks way top heavy

115km/h is 71.5mph
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 am

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 am

Risen Britannia wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

115km/h is 71.5mph

Time to use my phone for conversions from now on... Still it would roll right over i think
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:02 am

Thats not really saying much...
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information