NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Tank [Part 2]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:03 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Galla- wrote:
Considering he said it involved blackmail and bribery, it was probably at a grossly inflated cost and inferior to the competition. Kind of like the USA using Eurofighters or F-15Cs instead of F-22s.

Even then the military should be the only one given any say, perhaps the government, but the population shouldn't be allowed to force the military to adopt new equipment (which costs a lot of money) just because they chose one vehicle over another due to some underhanded tactics. Perhaps the company and people in charge of the project who were guilty of blackmail and bribery should be punished, but the military shouldn't waste billions or (since this is NS scale) hundreds of billions buying new tanks when their current ones work.

That is like buying a car that has plenty of awards, finding out that they got them through underhanded tactics, and buying a brand new car instead because.

More like buying a car, finding out that it's safety inspections were faked, thus it's ability to provide protection in the extremely likely chance that you will end up in automobile accident (you drive in India) is compromised and will probably kill you.

Ofc 10 years is a long time so you still have a point.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Banjamos
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Banjamos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Banjamos wrote:Not to mention there would be dozens of 12 year olds insisting that snipers and marksmen learn how to "quick scope."

Since I don't really RP my nation I should start RPing a new one, a direct democracy where the people have a say in every single thing the state and military does. Horrendous national debt, retarded military equipment and tactics, officers are elected instead of promoted based on merit, and more.

So you'll fight wars with tactics from two wars previous?
Earth II
The Official Twitter Feed of the Banjamo Office of Foreign Affairs (E2)
Seperates wrote:Nebraska.- We're seceding!
U.S.- That's k, just give us our nukes and we'll go.
N.- Back off or I'll bore you to death with my cornfields!
U.S.- *stares... then just breaks down laughing*
N.- Was it something I said?

Tropic Brown Granite wrote:I gave a quote on a new granite counter top. It was both a win and a fail. Lost the girlfriend, gained a customer.

Disclaimer: The views of Banjamos are not necessarily my own.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Galla- wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Even then the military should be the only one given any say, perhaps the government, but the population shouldn't be allowed to force the military to adopt new equipment (which costs a lot of money) just because they chose one vehicle over another due to some underhanded tactics. Perhaps the company and people in charge of the project who were guilty of blackmail and bribery should be punished, but the military shouldn't waste billions or (since this is NS scale) hundreds of billions buying new tanks when their current ones work.

That is like buying a car that has plenty of awards, finding out that they got them through underhanded tactics, and buying a brand new car instead because.

More like buying a car, finding out that it's safety inspections were faked, thus it's ability to provide protection in the extremely likely chance that you will end up in automobile accident (you drive in India) is compromised and will probably kill you.

Except there is nothing inherently wrong with the Chally 2, so it isn't any less safe. Even if your analogy was a good one, it would probably be better to do the tests again and if the differences are big enough to choose the other.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Banjamos wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Since I don't really RP my nation I should start RPing a new one, a direct democracy where the people have a say in every single thing the state and military does. Horrendous national debt, retarded military equipment and tactics, officers are elected instead of promoted based on merit, and more.

So you'll fight wars with tactics from two wars previous?

No, that is how all of NS fights, with WW2 tactics and strategy, my soldiers will fight like they play CoD, running off alone trying to get as many kills as they can, officers just exist to reward guys with lots of kills by giving them titles and medals and ribbons. On the strategic level we will use "blitzkrieg" which since most people only know as a lot of tanks will involve hordes of tanks attacking dug in positions across open ground.

New Nevada Alliance
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Nevada Alliance » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm

In the Mojave wasteland, we don't use tanks.....unless howitzers count....

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Banjamos wrote:So you'll fight wars with tactics from two wars previous?

No, that is how all of NS fights, with WW2 tactics and strategy, my soldiers will fight like they play CoD, running off alone trying to get as many kills as they can, officers just exist to reward guys with lots of kills by giving them titles and medals and ribbons. On the strategic level we will use "blitzkrieg" which since most people only know as a lot of tanks will involve hordes of tanks attacking dug in positions across open ground.

wat's wrong with wwii tactics, which are rly actually p similar to tactics today?
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

Munathanura
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Galla- wrote:

Except there is nothing inherently wrong with the Chally 2, so it isn't any less safe. Even if your analogy was a good one, it would probably be better to do the tests again and if the differences are big enough to choose the other.

Except that it was the Chally 1 that was accepted, not the Chally 2.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Galla- wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:No, that is how all of NS fights, with WW2 tactics and strategy, my soldiers will fight like they play CoD, running off alone trying to get as many kills as they can, officers just exist to reward guys with lots of kills by giving them titles and medals and ribbons. On the strategic level we will use "blitzkrieg" which since most people only know as a lot of tanks will involve hordes of tanks attacking dug in positions across open ground.

wat's wrong with wwii tactics, which are rly actually p similar to tactics today?

Nothing really, just sayin that that is how NS wars are fought.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Galla- wrote:

Nothing really, just sayin that that is how NS wars are fought.

oh

generally when you say "<whatever> is wat NS does" it is automatically disparaging towards whatever

e: also your nation would be almost every NS nation ever. they already fight like COD

fight like WWII and you might be onto something
Last edited by Galla- on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Galla- wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Nothing really, just sayin that that is how NS wars are fought.

oh

generally when you say "<whatever> is wat NS does" it is automatically disparaging towards whatever

e: also your nation would be almost every NS nation ever. they already fight like COD

fight like WWII and you might be onto something

Most NS nations RP like they have a good military, I will actually RP my military like it sucks. Training lasts 1 year and when the soldiers come out they are strong as hell but can't shoot or obey orders. Officers are often incompetent, the soldiers use heavy and crappy equipment, they receive artillery and air support based on their individual combat prowess, and most soldiers are killed because they either charge headlong at the enemy and are shot to pieces or "camp" and simply picked off by trained snipers or blown apart by mortars.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm

sounds like every other NS nation

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Galla- wrote:sounds like every other NS nation

Except they RP their militaries like they are good, I won't be claiming to have good soldiers, I will claim that my soldiers are in fact terrible.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Galla- wrote:sounds like every other NS nation

Except they RP their militaries like they are good, I won't be claiming to have good soldiers, I will claim that my soldiers are in fact terrible.

you're just honest

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:43 pm

Galla- wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Except they RP their militaries like they are good, I won't be claiming to have good soldiers, I will claim that my soldiers are in fact terrible.

you're just honest

Also, I doubt most NS militaries elect officers and actually have soldiers running off alone, I imagine that they use vague or simple tactics like flanking since most people don't really know much about military tactics.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Galla- wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Except they RP their militaries like they are good, I won't be claiming to have good soldiers, I will claim that my soldiers are in fact terrible.

you're just honest

Also, I doubt most NS militaries elect officers and actually have soldiers running off alone, I imagine that they use vague or simple tactics like flanking since most people don't really know much about military tactics.

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:53 pm

rar big post responding to stuff in the last few pages

Licana wrote:
The Holy Covenant Empire wrote:(Image) What do you guys think of the prototype Plasma Cannon for our new Tank?

Plasma...tank...in atmosphere...lawl.

Only realistic plasma tank gun: Hellbore.

Bolos fuckyeah.

The Holy Covenant Empire wrote:(Image) What do you guys think of the prototype Plasma Cannon for our new Tank?

Does,'t look like a tank gun.

Also, what is the penetration of a roankep?

1400mm RHAe, going by ye olde perforation equation.

Said equation is based on tests conducted with older tungsten alloys which are inferior to the specific materials (well, the material is pretty much the same, it's the alloying process that's different) being used in roankep, discounts the penetrating cap harder than any ceramic armor it will ever face, etc. So, since I cannot accurately quantify it, I will simply state 1400mm+ RHAe rather than any exact figure.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Anyway, I am coming up with a HEAT equivalent to the RoanKEP, Super HEAT, pretty much it is a regular HEAT that uses molybdenum in place of copper and has 3 charges, a precursor, a main charge, and a followup charge (due to the speed a shape charge travels I only need to delay the charges going off by about 0.001 seconds to keep them from disrupting each other). I estimate almost three meters penetration with the absence of ERA.

140mm Super HEAT

70mm Molybdenum Cone +700mm
135mm Moltbdenum Cone +1350mm
70mm Molybdenum Cone +700mm

Total Penetration: 2750mm RHAe

Use a DU cone for the followup charge, and use a heavier cone optimized for epic behind-armor effect instead of one optimized for penetration. It's what the rear charge is for, after all. You also probably won't be getting optimum P/Cd ratios with a triple-tandem weapon.

The Holy Covenant Empire wrote:I can give you more information, unless you want to go back and stop spamming?

Now anyways Does anyone have a suggestion for ammunition for my standard MBT?

You are FT right? Why is this even a question, use anti-matter KEPs, an arrow like penetrator with a hollowed out vacuum with some anti-matter suspended in the core. When you hit a target the shell cracks, air floods into the vacuum and the anti-matter explodes. Or just use lulzy long KEPs since you don't have to worry about propellant and fire them from rail guns. Also short of unobtanium you can use almost anything and oneshot any FT tank since the scale slides so far in favor of the weapons instead of the armour.

Use vehicle-mounted nucleosynthesis plants to generate superlong Dubnium-268 penetrators at the company level, which would be distributed to their tank unit (ammunition would be recycled within a few hours, since the low half-life would presumably degrade the material quality as the Dubnium decays). Twice as dense as anything IRL? FUCK YEAH. Fire out of totally jawesometastic railguns/coilguns at unnecessarily high speeds for hilarious APFSDS action.

Munathanura wrote:
Crookfur wrote:
40mm CTA>50mm SS due to better penetration and a much smaller gun ;) of coruse you said equivelent that observation is completely pointless.

Wouldn't a 20mm coax for an big AC be more than a little redudant with the same rough target sets and effects just through different means? Personally i would just use the good old GPMG as a coax and keep more main AC ammo at hand.

According to Tony Williams, the 50mm SS and the 40mm CTAS have roughly the same penetration and propellant weight. He also suggests that the 50mm SS should have slightly better ballistic potential and, going by the list of explosive weights, I'd say that the 50mm SS has the potential for a heavier HE projectile.

I'm thinking of using the 20mm coax so that it could take out both infantry and vehicles too lightly armoured to justify using the main cannon, given that it only has 230 rounds total. You think that a GPMG would be better, though?

The 40mm CTA gun is just ridiculously small though.

The two top guns are bushmasters, don't know what the big 40 is.
Last edited by Senestrum on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:56 pm

big 40mm looks out of proportion for some reason

Munathanura
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Senestrum wrote:
Munathanura wrote:According to Tony Williams, the 50mm SS and the 40mm CTAS have roughly the same penetration and propellant weight. He also suggests that the 50mm SS should have slightly better ballistic potential and, going by the list of explosive weights, I'd say that the 50mm SS has the potential for a heavier HE projectile.

I'm thinking of using the 20mm coax so that it could take out both infantry and vehicles too lightly armoured to justify using the main cannon, given that it only has 230 rounds total. You think that a GPMG would be better, though?

The 40mm CTA gun is just ridiculously small though.

The two top guns are bushmasters, don't know what the big 40 is.

I think that the big 40mm is supposed to be the 40mm Bofors. gun. But, yeah, you could probably store twice the number of 40mm CTA rounds as 40mm Bofors rounds. Hm, that might not actually be a bad idea. Having 400 rounds or so of a high performance 40mm round wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

Australien
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Australien » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:37 am

Anyone have a suggestion for a good MT MBT that isn't ludicrously expensive (Around $6 million max) and functions well in all-terrains?
My army is pretty infantry-centric, so maybe that would help.

Currently looking at the Leopard 2, because I have a serious fetish for German/European weaponry.
My Political Compass:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-2.12&soc=-1.95

The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic -Joseph Stalin

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 am

Licana wrote:
The Holy Covenant Empire wrote:KRD (kinetic Render Device) helps it stabilize into a certain mass like if it was a solid, however it is weak compared to the Plasma, so the Plasma can only stay so close, to keep it in line we have Condensers, these devices work on universal activity surrounding the battery, when plasma is released it keeps it together.

KRD = something that the Plasma is attracted to as it travels through the air?

This works how?

Even in the real canon - no-one knows.
Covenant technology is common levels of FT wank.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:11 am

Estovakiva wrote:
Minnysota wrote:
MLP is a stain on NS. >:|

My...god they are everywhere...<Screams and runs off into the distance>

But now on the subject of tanks, which NS-tank is the most-widley used ones?, the ones from Yohannes or the ones from Lyras?.

Or perhaps other-ones which i do not know off?.

Yohannes' tanks are more common amongst the newfags, Lyras' amongst the oldfags.
My nation's Tank Corps have a sizeable stock of Yohannes tanks.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:13 am

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Attention bitches

Will someone who knows what they are talking about please flick through this design and then decide whether it would be worth scaling it up to create a viable diesel-electric powertrain for a heavy tank.

Forza Boxer 6 Cylinder Twincharged (Supercharged - Turbocharged) Diesel Hybrid Engine - FB-6TSDH

The FB-6TSDH engine is a diesel-electric hybrid six-cylinder boxer engine displacing only a mere 9.2 Litres yet producing nearly 500kw of power employing the Internal Comustion Engine only, and over 700kw with electric power boost. The hybrid system, Forza's own HybriDrive technology, not only ensures that the vehicle is one of, if not the, most powerful, fastest and fastest accelerating IFVs in it's class, but, when teamed small displacement internal combustion engine, also makes it one of the most fuel efficient armoured fighting vehicles ever produced.

The main reason for the immense power output of the Forza FB-6TSDH engine is the teaming of it's high-boost forced induction system along with it's very high compression ratio. For a direct commonrail injected diesel engine, this version of the FB-HTSD posseses a ratio of 23.5:1, essentially meaning the engine compresses 1540 cubic centimetres of fuel and air mixture into 63 cubic centimetres in every cycle. The compression ratio is acheived by long stroke of the existing FB-6TSDH powerplant. Because of this very high ratio, this called for the cylinder block to be manufactured with very thick cylinder walls in order to maintain it's structural integrity. Despite it's low displacement, the FB-6TSDH weighs no less than a similarly powerful 20 litre engine when one factors in the additional weight of the HybriDrive system, although consuming much less fuel.

To further boost power, the maximum boost of the turbochargers was set 1.6 bar, which creates a significant increase in power when the turbochargers are active higher up the rev range, but due to the nature of a twincharger engine, makes no difference in low engine speeds due to the supercharger being the sole provider of forced induction.

Forza engineers designed the FB-6TSDH as a six cylinder boxer, although a twelve cylinder was the preferred choice by the Anago-Yohannesian Kaissereich, simply because it allowed more space for the HybriDrive system to be fitted. The risk of a cylinder failing was more or less written off as a risk due to the presence of the battery pack and electric motors which could propel the vehicle to safety in case the worst came to the worst.

The pistons are arranged in a boxer layout which is a layout seldom seen except for several high performance sports cars. A flat layout, which is more commonly seen, is near identical in appearence and theory to a boxer engine; there is still a 180 degree angle between the two seperate banks of pistons, however a boxer engine mounts two opposing pistons on two different crank pins as opposed to a flat engine which mounts two pistons on the same crank pin.

Thus, a flat layout is best described as a 180 degree V engine and not a true boxer engine. Boxer engines are reknown for having superb balance and are unique in that a boxer engine does not require counter balances at all on the crank shaft as the engine has superb natural balance. This is further enhanced by the use of twelve cylinders. Boxers are so named because when one looks at the engine from down the crankshaft, the two banks of cylinders will appear to be boxing one another.

The induction system is a variant of Forza's TwinCharger system; a single Roots-type Superchager is used to aspirate the engine at low RPM's with two Turbochargers, one for each bank of cylinders, aspirating the engine further down the rev-range. TwinCharging systems have a number of advantages over other forms of forced induction. Unlike Turbocharged engines, Twincharged engines do not experience turbo-lag, where the turbochargers are ineffective because they are not at operating speeds.

Unlike supercharged engines, twincharged engines can decouple the supercharger from the engine so that it won't drain power to operate while still maintaining boost from the turbochargers. The two forms of forced induction do not operate in parallel in a bid to avoid the extremely high manifold temperatures which would be produced by the supercharger blowing into the turbocharger. As such, the supercharger is decoupled as soon as the turbocharger activates on the FB-6TSDH. The TwinCharger system alone allows the vehicle to have constant boost and thus give exceptional acceleration at all engine speeds; something crucial for a battlefield environment.

The engine block itself is made from aluminium alloy, comprised of 11% silicon, 4% manganese and 0.5% magnesium. This Al-Alloy has a high thermal conductivity and hence is able to dissipate heat quicker than cast iron. Also, it leads more thermal efficiency, cooler running engines and are lighter thereby improving the overall vehicle’s operative characteristics.

In total, the engine has a total displacement of 9,240 cubic centimetres or 9.24 Litres, which equates to 1.54 Litres per cylinder. This version of the FB-6TSDH, with its high compression ratio and boost pressure creates a specific output of 54kw/litre, which combines to form a total output of 499kw. This is only the power of the internal combustion engine.

Exhaust fumes and gases are passed out the rear of the tank, through a double muffler and particle filter. Exhaust gases are diluted with outside air to reduce their heat signature. This is done by sucking air through a small inlet flush against the tank and mixing the cool outside air with the exhaust gases. Exhausted and outside air meet in a special Y tube, with a radiator being mounted on the stem of the Y, sucking air from both stems through to the exhaust.

Sound-deadening engine covers are also fitted to the engine to reduce the noise both inside and outside the cabin. Forza engineers are normally ardent at reducing the NVH of large luxury cars but found the same basic principles applied to armoured vehicles. Double-insulated sound covers are placed in a box to cover the engine, which is itself mounted on springs to quell vibrations. The top of this box can be easily removed to lift the whole engine out. As a result, the vehicle, similar to the AY1 MBT, is drastically quieter inside and out than the majority of most if not all other infantry fighting vehicles.

The Forza HybriDrive replaces a normal geared transmission with an electromechanical system. Because an internal combustion engine (ICE) delivers power best only over a small range of torques and speeds, the crankshaft of the engine is usually attached to an automatic or manual transmission by a clutch or torque converter that allows the driver to adjust the speed and torque that can be delivered by the engine to the torque and speed needed to drive the wheels of the car. For classification purposes, the gearbox can be described as an Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission, or EVT.

The HybriDrive system replaces the gearbox, alternator and starter motor with a three-phase brushless alternator serving as a generator, two powerful motor-generators, a computerized shunt system to control the afforementioned devices, a mechanical power splitter that acts as a second differential, and a battery pack that serves as an energy reservoir. The motor-generator uses power from the battery pack to propel the vehicle at startup and at low speeds or under acceleration. The ICE may or may not be running at startup. When higher speeds, faster acceleration or more power for charging the batteries is needed the ICE is started by the motor-generator, acting as a starter motor.

When the operator wants the vehicle to slow down the initial travel of the brake pedal engages the motor-generator into generator mode converting much of the forward motion into electrical current flow which is used to recharge the batteries while slowing down the vehicle. In this way the forward momentum regenerates or converts much of the energy used to accelerate the vehicle back into stored electrical energy.

The sole purpose of the brushless alternator is to convert mechanical energy generated by the ICE and convert it into electrical energy which is stored in the battery pack. In addition, by regulating the amount of electrical power generated, the alternator also controls and regulates the transmission of the vehicle by changing the internal resistance of the alternator. The pair of motor generators drive the vehicle in tandem with the ICE. The two roles are not interchangeable. When the two motor generators are in operation, they create an extra 200kw of between them.

The mechanical gearing design of the system allows the mechanical power from the ICE to be split three ways: extra torque, extra rotation speed, and power for an electric generator. A computer program running appropriate actuators controls the systems and directs the power flow from the different engine and the electric motor sources. This power split achieves the benefits of a continuously variable transmission (CVT), except that the torque/speed conversion uses an electric motor rather than a direct mechanical gear train connection. The vehicle cannot operate without the computer, power electronics, battery pack and motor-generators, though in principle it could operate while missing the internal combustion engine.

The transmission contains a planetary gear set that adjusts and blends the amount of torque from the engine and motors as it’s needed. Special couplings and sensors monitor rotation speed of each track and the total torque on the tracks, for feedback to the control computer.

In summary, the HybriDrive system works by the brushless alternator feeding electric power to the battery pack where it is stored, before it is supplied to the two motor generators which rectify the electric energy into mechanical energy, where it is then used to drive the tracks. Furthermore, during normal operation the engine can be operated at or near its ideal speed and torque level for power, economy, or emissions, with the battery pack absorbing or supplying power as appropriate to balance the demand placed by the driver. During stoppages the internal combustion engine can even be turned off for even more economy.

Two other advantages are made possible by this set up.

The first is "Stealth Mode," where the vehicle can travel at slow to medium speeds without using the ICE for power, thus running silently. This gives an assaulting force an enourmous advantage as an enemy will generally not be able to hear the IFV approaching, except over rough ground which would cause noise. However, the absence of an engine note will mean that the noise of the tracks on the ground alone will not alert the enemy to the presence of an IFV. In this mode, the alternator spins freely and the engine is de-coupled from the rest of the drivetrain. Stealth Mode can be run for up to fourty minutes or fifty kilometres running off the battery power. After this, the ICE will need to recharge the battery pack.

The second is the "Overboost" function. When accelerating, the vehicle teams the powerful ICE with the pair of motor-generators to combine their power and torque, resulting in a huge boost to acceleration. The Overboost function can also be employed for the vehicle to act as a tug, by either pushing or pulling an otherwise immobile vehicle, up to an eighty tonne MBT, to a safer position.

The vehicle is able to reach comparitively high speeds for a tracked vehicle by the use of protective rubber covers placed over the steel tracks. Effectively, these covers are essentially odd sized tyres which cannot be inflated. The outside of these rubber tracks are made from dense and durable rubber while the inner of the covering track is made from high-density latex which provides a limited shock absorbtion role, thus greatly reducing the stress placed upon the steel tracks underneath the rubber covering. If this exterior cover is damaged, it can be easily shed from the track and the track can continue on it's way relatively unaffected aside from a much lower maximum speed.

Tl;dr: just read it ffs

DAMMIT MAN
I still need to work out what the engine for my own diesel-electric drive is :(
Call me Para.
^ trufax

-The South Island-
Secretary

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -The South Island- » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 am

The AV-16 Dotterel heavy tank is the latest tank to enter service with the Royal South Island Army. The AV-16 Dotterel was developed over the past two years when it was discovered that several nations had developed main battle tanks that the weapons of the older AV-12 Moa could not destroy. Not all nations possessed such tanks so it was decided that a heavy tank to serve along side the AV-12 Moa should be developed instead of full replacement. South Island Aerospace Engineering accepted the requests for a tank capable of being transported in a large cargo aircraft with a main armament for combating the modern tank. Two years it has been and over fifty AV-16 Dotterals are in service, it is hoped that there will be a Dotteral for every four Moas once it has been fully adopted.

Armament - L512
The AV-16 Dotterel is armed with four weapons, six if you count the single shot grenade launchers and the active protection system. These weapons combined together allow the Dotterel to engage and defeat many threats on the battlefield from poorly armed terrorists to advanced main battle tanks.

The largest and most obvious weapon is the L512 smoothbore gun. As with the older L456 on the AV-12 Moa, the L512 incorporates electrothermal-chemical technology to have increased accuracy and muzzle energy when compared to conventional firing systems. The L512 fires the new 75mr (138mm) round developed specifically for the L512, currently there is only a high explosive and high explosive anti tank version but more are expected to be developed as the Dotterel gains combat experience.

A BAE Systems YAG Laser Rangefinder is mounted above the barrel of the Dotterel, this along with a crosswind sensor and a pendulum static cant sensor allow the ballistic fire-control computer to fire shots while the tank is on the move. The L512 has an effective range of around 13kr (~4.5km) and each round is loaded into the gun by an auto loading system which has a magazine of fifteen rounds. A further fifteen can be stored in the chassis of the vehicle giving a typical Dotterel thirty rounds to fire.

Armament - Nelson Remote Weapons Station
A Nelson Remote Weapon Station (NRWS) gives the Dotterel a strong secondary weapon on top of the tank capable of engaging both light vehicles, infantry and to a lesser extent, helicopters. The NRWS features an FN M3P machine gun and a Mk 47 Striker grenade launcher. Both of the weapons can be elevated separately to allow for the difference in trajectory.

The Mk 47 Striker fires a variety of 40x53mm grenades including both conventional and programmable airburst rounds. A laser range finder, located underneath both guns, estimates the range to a target and the commander can alter this to program the grenade to explode in flight after a set distance allowing it to pass over cover an enemy may be hiding behind and explode killing those taking cover. All Mk 47 Strikers mounted on the Dotterel have been modified to load a hundred round belt from the right.

The FN M3P machine gun fires the .50 BMG round at a rate of 1,100 rounds per minute. The same range finder used for the Mk 47 Striker is also used automatically elevate the machine gun but this can be switched of by the commander if the ranger finder fails in combat. A box with a two hundred round belt of .50 BMG ammunition is mounted on the left side of the machine gun.

The commander, who remains inside the tank when using the weapon, uses a joystick to traverse and elevate the NRWS. Both a normal camera and a thermal imager are mounted astride the laser range finder allowing the commander to switch between the two as the situation requires.

Armament - MG151A9
The MG151A9 is a co-axial autocannon located to the left of the Dotterel's L512. It is a modernized version of the old MG151/15 and fires two variants of the 15 x 96 mm round, an explosive and non-explosive version. Instead of carrying a hundred rounds of both variants, most tank crews just carry two 100 round belts of non-explosive ammunition making a total of 200 rounds. The MG151A9 is fired by the gunner who also fires the L512.

Countermeasure - APRS2
The APRS2 (Active Projectile Response System 2) is an active protection system designed to intercept incoming shells before they can impact the tank. It is fully automated, the computer calculates the threat of incoming projectiles by information provided by a four panel EL/M-2133 fire control radar and engages the most threatening without any assistance from the crew. There was one incident where the system killed six friendly soldiers but this was quickly rectified.

The APRS2 is has a total of thirty-six smoothbore barrels, each one is capable of electrically firing a shotgun shell loaded with fifteen 000 buckshots. It is hoped that one or more of the buckshot will impact the shell exploding it or at least damaging it beyond danger. Reloading the system is hard, the entire unit must be removed and shipped to a facility located far behind the lines.

Countermeasure - L149 Smoke Discharger
The L149 Smoke Discharger is a single-shot grenade launcher designed specifically for launching 40x53mm smoke grenades which can be used to conceal friendly forces during a withdrawal or put the enemy into disarray by firing them into their lines. When fired, smoke grenades from the L149 will land around two hundred meters in the direction the turret is pointing. There are a total of twenty-two mounted on the Dotterel's turret, eleven on each side. While smoke may not stop vehicles with thermal imagers from spotting friendly units it can prevent the average infantry man from doing the same. Ammunition can be shared with the grenade launcher on the NRWS.

Propulsion - Engine
The Dotterel features the OGF-2000 as a powerplant. The OGF-2000 is a gas turbine engine capable of an output of 2000hp at peak performance which is not that common on the battlefield. It is a multi-fuel engine meaning that it is capable of burning several different types of fuel, most Dotterels in service with the RSIA are fuelled by diesel but the ability to burn jet fuel is useful if a enemy airbase has been captured which is why the OGF-2000 was selected over a normal diesel engine.

Armour - Integral
The integral armour of the Dotterel is essentially the same as the armour of the AV-12 Moa, it only differs by being thicker in several places including the armoured skirt which extends over the upper section of the tracks. It is made up of depleted uranium mesh, rolled homogeneous armour, tungsten, ceramic plate and Armox 500T. The last three are used in layers to form composite armour.

Armour - L603B Explosive Reactive Armour
A total of one hundred and forty L603B Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) blocks are mounted on the Dotterel, seventy on each side. Each block has three main parts, an explosive filling sandwiched two metal sheets. When an enemy round impacts a block the filling explodes pushing the metal plates away from each other causing the enemy round to be damaged and incapable of delivering a full blow.

Future Improvements
There have been several complaints by crew members about the size of the turret and it's shape, these complaints are already being evaluated by South Island Military Engineering to produce a newer version which will be designated the AV-16B if it enters service after development is complete.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:47 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Estovakiva wrote:My...god they are everywhere...<Screams and runs off into the distance>

But now on the subject of tanks, which NS-tank is the most-widley used ones?, the ones from Yohannes or the ones from Lyras?.

Or perhaps other-ones which i do not know off?.

Yohannes' tanks are more common amongst the newfags, Lyras' amongst the oldfags.
My nation's Tank Corps have a sizeable stock of Yohannes tanks.

Actually Mac's tanks are probabaly the most common amoungst the real old fags but Lyras does reign sumpreeme amoungst the generation that followed.

Munathanura: Darn you and your inconvenient facts ;)

But my thanks to sister RRoan for helping spread the good news of the 40mm CTA church ;)

-The South Island- :

Yeah, another 138mm user!

one big question though: Why have 2 HMG calibres on the same vehicle? Would it not make more sense to use both in the 15mm round or .50cal? Also coax ammo is seriously limited.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:10 am

Australien wrote:Anyone have a suggestion for a good MT MBT that isn't ludicrously expensive (Around $6 million max) and functions well in all-terrains?
My army is pretty infantry-centric, so maybe that would help.

Currently looking at the Leopard 2, because I have a serious fetish for German/European weaponry.

That might, maybe, get you a new-build stock Leo2A6. Any newer variants or upgrades are going to be well out of that price range (most expensive production Leo variant I'm aware of cost more than twice your limit, lol).

You should strongly consider going used or eastern if you want a tank under 6 million.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information