NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Tank [Part 2]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Munathanura wrote:A 160mm gun will give you a lot more ammo than a 180mm gun for the same sized vehicle.

But a lot less punch and a bit less range.

Meh, range is for missiles. I would think that a 155 or 160mm would be more than sufficient, of course, you could try to make your SPA vehicle as big as reasonably possible to fit as many 180mm shells as possible, but I still think that something closer to 155mm will be more practical.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 am

Licana wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:But a lot less punch and a bit less range.

Meh, range is for missiles. I would think that a 155 or 160mm would be more than sufficient, of course, you could try to make your SPA vehicle as big as reasonably possible to fit as many 180mm shells as possible, but I still think that something closer to 155mm will be more practical.

Should I just say fuck it and switch to rocket artillery? As much as I hate it, for several reasons, they do have their advantages, and I am facing nations (NN, Imeriata, Lusitaniagrad) that will likely use large artillery guns with very long ranges. On the other hand, I considered the hilarious idea of using my SPA as direct fire AT guns with HEAT rounds at close (>4,000m) ranges.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed May 11, 2011 5:21 am

I would say yes, as rocket artillery would outrange and likely be more percise (barring lulzy guided artillery shells) than gun artillery.

Like the old SPG/TD's of WW2? That would probably work, but not quite sure as to exactly how useful it would be.
Last edited by Licana on Wed May 11, 2011 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
>American education
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 5:31 am

Licana wrote:I would say yes, as rocket artillery would outrange and likely be more percise (barring lulzy guided artillery shells) than gun artillery.

Like the old SPG/TD's of WW2? That would probably work, but not quite sure as to exactly how useful it would be.

In practice it would be more like an M-18, weak armour (it will still have a roof at least), and a big gun. If it is ever used in a direct fire anti-tank role, it will probably be dug in, or hidden, so I won't send 400 of them across no man's land firing wildly, they will have a dug in defensive position from which they will pick off enemy tanks. Also, I may even consider giving them APFSDS as well.

On the topic of rocket artillery, I like being able to carry a larger warhead, as well as the greater range and accuracy, the ability for sustained bombardment is very important. I am so torn.

Munathanura
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 am

Licana wrote:Meh, range is for missiles. I would think that a 155 or 160mm would be more than sufficient, of course, you could try to make your SPA vehicle as big as reasonably possible to fit as many 180mm shells as possible, but I still think that something closer to 155mm will be more practical.

Should I just say fuck it and switch to rocket artillery? As much as I hate it, for several reasons, they do have their advantages, and I am facing nations (NN, Imeriata, Lusitaniagrad) that will likely use large artillery guns with very long ranges. On the other hand, I considered the hilarious idea of using my SPA as direct fire AT guns with HEAT rounds at close (>4,000m) ranges.

You wouldn't even need a HEAT round. A 155mm HE shell will very effectively disable most tanks. Or alternatively, use a DU-APFSDS round with a slip ring (so that it'll work with a rifled barrel). I imagine that one of those would royally screw up even the heaviest MBT.

Looking at the G6-52, a 160mm self-propelled artillery system could probably have a range of up to 67 kilometres with 40 rounds ready to fire. Of course, rockets can deliver bigger payloads at similar distances, but it just depends on what you want to rely on.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

Munathanura
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Wed May 11, 2011 5:42 am

Licana wrote:I would say yes, as rocket artillery would outrange and likely be more percise (barring lulzy guided artillery shells) than gun artillery.

In practice it would be more like an M-18, weak armour (it will still have a roof at least), and a big gun. If it is ever used in a direct fire anti-tank role, it will probably be dug in, or hidden, so I won't send 400 of them across no man's land firing wildly, they will have a dug in defensive position from which they will pick off enemy tanks. Also, I may even consider giving them APFSDS as well.

On the topic of rocket artillery, I like being able to carry a larger warhead, as well as the greater range and accuracy, the ability for sustained bombardment is very important. I am so torn.

The sustained rate of fire is likely to be lower, though.
Wamitoria wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Welcome to America, where the authorities can be doing too much and too little at the same god damn time.
Tahar Joblis wrote:Your "heartfelt recommendation," i.e., baseless accusation of misogyny, is noted with all the respect that is due. Which corresponds to that due a $100 billion Zimbabwean banknote. :eyebrow:
My Political Compass:

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 5:45 am

Munathanura wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Should I just say fuck it and switch to rocket artillery? As much as I hate it, for several reasons, they do have their advantages, and I am facing nations (NN, Imeriata, Lusitaniagrad) that will likely use large artillery guns with very long ranges. On the other hand, I considered the hilarious idea of using my SPA as direct fire AT guns with HEAT rounds at close (>4,000m) ranges.

You wouldn't even need a HEAT round. A 155mm HE shell will very effectively disable most tanks. Or alternatively, use a DU-APFSDS round with a slip ring (so that it'll work with a rifled barrel). I imagine that one of those would royally screw up even the heaviest MBT.

Looking at the G6-52, a 160mm self-propelled artillery system could probably have a range of up to 67 kilometres with 40 rounds ready to fire. Of course, rockets can deliver bigger payloads at similar distances, but it just depends on what you want to rely on.

True, but HEAT rounds are cooler. Besides, what if you need to sink a battleship? I am facing Nick and co. after all.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 am

Munathanura wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:In practice it would be more like an M-18, weak armour (it will still have a roof at least), and a big gun. If it is ever used in a direct fire anti-tank role, it will probably be dug in, or hidden, so I won't send 400 of them across no man's land firing wildly, they will have a dug in defensive position from which they will pick off enemy tanks. Also, I may even consider giving them APFSDS as well.

Wait, what? I meant regular artillery has a faster sustained rate.

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Wed May 11, 2011 5:48 am

Actually while on the topic of missiles, what would be the best defence against one of them?
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 am

Imeriata wrote:Actually while on the topic of missiles, what would be the best defence against one of them?

APS. Either that, or some kind of lulzy spaced armour.

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Wed May 11, 2011 5:51 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:APS. Either that, or some kind of lulzy spaced armour.

Advanced Photo System?

But I was mostly wondering if there was some way of taking them out in flight?
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 5:52 am

Imeriata wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:APS. Either that, or some kind of lulzy spaced armour.

Advanced Photo System?

Active Protection System. Pretty much shooting a rocket or large bullet at it.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed May 11, 2011 5:53 am

Imeriata wrote:

Advanced Photo System?

... APS?

A hard kill active protection system does just that.

Munathanura
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Wed May 11, 2011 6:06 am

Munathanura wrote:

Wait, what? I meant regular artillery has a faster sustained rate.

Right, sorry if I confused you, that is exactly what I meant. Regular artillery will have a higher rate of fire than rocket artillery.
Wamitoria wrote:

My Political Compass:

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Active Protection System. Pretty much shooting a rocket or large bullet at it.

Ahh thank you, some sort of mobile version must obviously be constructed for the guard.

Ramsetia wrote:

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 6:13 am

Imeriata wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Active Protection System. Pretty much shooting a rocket or large bullet at it.

Ahh thank you, some sort of mobile version must obviously be constructed for the guard.

Generally you just slap it on a vehicle (it is a tad more complicated than simply slapping it on, but you get the picture) and bam can take out HEAT rounds, ATGMs, other missiles, and some APFSDS.

Munathanura
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 am

Imeriata wrote:Ahh thank you, some sort of mobile version must obviously be constructed for the guard.

Generally you just slap it on a vehicle (it is a tad more complicated than simply slapping it on, but you get the picture) and bam can take out HEAT rounds, ATGMs, other missiles, and some APFSDS.

Are there any RL ADSes apart from the AMAP-ADS that claim to be effective against KE penetrators?
Wamitoria wrote:

My Political Compass:

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 6:21 am

Munathanura wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Generally you just slap it on a vehicle (it is a tad more complicated than simply slapping it on, but you get the picture) and bam can take out HEAT rounds, ATGMs, other missiles, and some APFSDS.

Are there any RL ADSes apart from the AMAP-ADS that claim to be effective against KE penetrators?

Probably. Also, I have my doubt about the effectiveness of AMAP-ADS according to Wikipedia.

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 am

Yes that would be similar to the original idea of a radar guided dual barreled flakcannon on a support vehicle that I planned to do, but would that be something that could be done or would two heavy machine guns do a better job?

Ramsetia wrote:

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 am

Imeriata wrote:Yes that would be similar to the original idea of a radar guided dual barreled flakcannon on a support vehicle that I planned to do, but would that be something that could be done or would two heavy machine guns do a better job?

I doubt that any sort of machine gun or flak cannon could target the projectile quickly enough. You might wannas try and pass the idea through the real NSD before implementing it.

Munathanura
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Munathanura » Wed May 11, 2011 6:28 am

Munathanura wrote:

Probably. Also, I have my doubt about the effectiveness of AMAP-ADS according to Wikipedia.

The video on IBD's site shows that it works, but the posts I found on NSD seem to doubt that it works how we're told/that it's entirely effective as is claimed. I'd probably rather go with Trophy if I was putting an ADS on my tank (or use one of the NS designed super ADSes).
Wamitoria wrote:

My Political Compass:

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed May 11, 2011 8:27 am

Axis Nova wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:
I've seen the DoD reports, it actually didn't make much difference. Much of the perforation was absorbed by the vehicle's base armour and stand-off for the ELRA panels. The conclusion of every analysis ended with the ELRS giving no added protection. This is why government funding was cut off, quite harshly, in 2007.

You can argue AN, but you're wrong. It doesn't work, and the MoD dropped it like a hot potato because of this, years ago.

Links plox. I would be extremely interested to read about this, since this is the first I've heard of any such thing.

Call the UK MoD and ask, they will sell you a copy of the report. I bought one (It's not expensive). You can also get a copy of the UK defence budgets for the last several years free, another way to look.

Finally, I simply challenge you to find proof that it works beyond a few tests in ~2004.

In the end you can believe what you want. You're wrong, but that's your choice. And this is an internet forum full of fantasy, so it's not in my interest to go out of my way to scan documents I have to dig up and sort through legal issues with posting online this information. in the end you'll keep your wrong opinion, and I'll go on continuing to do this professionally. Long story short, I'm not doing your work for you, it doesn't work, it's known not to, and the proof is out there.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 am

Munathanura wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Generally you just slap it on a vehicle (it is a tad more complicated than simply slapping it on, but you get the picture) and bam can take out HEAT rounds, ATGMs, other missiles, and some APFSDS.

Trophy claims to be, and I know that Arena has actually been successfully tested against them (probably one of the reasons the south koreans are using it in the K2).
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Licana
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed May 11, 2011 9:25 am

Imeriata wrote:Actually while on the topic of missiles, what would be the best defence against one of them?

APS. Either that, or some kind of lulzy spaced armour.

Aren't soft kill systems (jamming, countermeasures, etc) are more effective against guided missiles than a hard-kill system?
>American education

Husseinarti wrote:

So was the M-16.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Wed May 11, 2011 9:55 am

Licana wrote:

Aren't soft kill systems (jamming, countermeasures, etc) are more effective against guided missiles than a hard-kill system?

Soft kill systems are still active protection systems. Also, it depends, a hard kill will destroy the missile, shoot it right out of the sky, a soft kill relies on confusing the guidance system. Each has their advantages, hard kill kills the munitions outright, soft kill can defeat a missile regardless of countermeasures (top attack, maneuvering), soft kill can give away your position, soft kill does nothing against unguided munitions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information