NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Tank [Part 2]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Use a 100mm diameter fin stabilized KEP fired from a rail gun.

I still don't understand how saboted rounds work in a railgun. They work in conventional guns by being effectively lolneckeddown rounds and thus hilarious overpressure for their size, but the same level doesn't quite apply in railguns, at least not to my own (crap) logic. Just give a 40mm KEP some lulzy-big rails.

I just said KEP. I mean a 3 meter long KEP with no sabot.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Germania Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Germania Alliance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:(Image)

O I c what you did thar.
NOTICE!

Slowly moving my main over to The Germania Alliance.

If you can, please telegram that nation instead of this one. On top of that, I'll be posting with that nation occasionally. Just treat it as if it were this nation; socially, economically and militarily.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Hmm. Gonna need a big O2 tank to get that engine to run. Gonna have to be sealed too.
Ever considered powering it with a reactor for FT lolz? We have 25MW fridge-sized reactors today (albeit not licensed to operate yet), let alone lololftwankery.

i guess i could have a reactor. But it defiantly wont be a antimatter reactor. i dont want one of my tanks having an issue and exploding taking out the entire area around it

No, these reactors are regular fission reactors.
Fission reactors also don't go boom, they just go leaky-leaky melty-melty. Which is obviously undesirable, but better than losing an eighth of the planet you're trying to capture from an antimatter detonation.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Germania Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Germania Alliance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Risen Britannia wrote:i guess i could have a reactor. But it defiantly wont be a antimatter reactor. i dont want one of my tanks having an issue and exploding taking out the entire area around it

No, these reactors are regular fission reactors.
Fission reactors also don't go boom, they just go leaky-leaky melty-melty. Which is obviously undesirable, but better than losing an eighth of the planet you're trying to capture from an antimatter detonation.

If they can design the Abrams where if the ammunition explodes, it explodes through a hatch facing upwards (essentially saving the crew and the tank), then I'm fairly certain something can be done for a damaged fission reactor.

What the solution may be is unknown to me though.
NOTICE!

If you can, please telegram that nation instead of this one. On top of that, I'll be posting with that nation occasionally. Just treat it as if it were this nation; socially, economically and militarily.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Germania Alliance wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:No, these reactors are regular fission reactors.

If they can design the Abrams where if the ammunition explodes, it explodes through a hatch facing upwards (essentially saving the crew and the tank), then I'm fairly certain something can be done for a damaged fission reactor.

That's entirely because of the fact that Abrams ammunition is explosive. It's a case of 'path of least resistance'. The bustle has an armoured blast door, sealing it from the turret (except in the dicey moments where a round is actually being removed from the bustle to the gun), and the bustle itself is made of one-piece casted armour plate on the bottom and sides IIRC. The top panels are then fixed over the top.
Because the resulting explosion can't get through the blast door, or through the one-piece construction of the stowage, the only place for the energy to go is upwards through the comparitively weak top panel mounting, directing the explosion up and away from the tank.
If a reactor gets holed, bad things are going to happen regardless. But hey, that's what armour plate was built for :3 liquid hydrogen emergency reaction suppression system, perhaps? Freeze the reactor to 0K, where literally nothing survives, even on the atomic level.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Risen Britannia
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 pm

well the good thing is, if it leaks it wont be on my planet.

thorium reactors?
Last edited by Risen Britannia on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
Old showroom and requests
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Germania Alliance wrote:

That's entirely because of the fact that Abrams ammunition is explosive. It's a case of 'path of least resistance'. The bustle has an armoured blast door, sealing it from the turret (except in the dicey moments where a round is actually being removed from the bustle to the gun), and the bustle itself is made of one-piece casted armour plate on the bottom and sides IIRC. The top panels are then fixed over the top.
Because the resulting explosion can't get through the blast door, or through the one-piece construction of the stowage, the only place for the energy to go is upwards through the comparitively weak top panel mounting, directing the explosion up and away from the tank.
If a reactor gets holed, bad things are going to happen regardless. But hey, that's what armour plate was built for :3 liquid hydrogen emergency reaction suppression system, perhaps? Freeze the reactor to 0K, where literally nothing survives, even on the atomic level.

You are going to need something colder than Liquid Hydrogen to bring the temperature down to 0K.

Germania Alliance
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Germania Alliance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:If a reactor gets holed, bad things are going to happen regardless. But hey, that's what armour plate was built for :3 liquid hydrogen emergency reaction suppression system, perhaps? Freeze the reactor to 0K, where literally nothing survives, even on the atomic level.

I think a fairly simple solution would be to build the engine in the belly of the tank, towards the rear and away from the crew. Gives it a much better chance of not being hit by enemy fire from the rear, unless something explodes beneath the tank.

Install a fail-safe of sorts, where the fission reactor drops from the belly of the tank upon taking severe damage, potentially avoiding catastrophic damage to the tank itself. The tank would continue moving on fumes momentarily, putting a little distance from the damaged reactor.

Granted, the tank may have to be a little larger, but I wouldn't be too sure of it.
NOTICE!

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:52 pm

You can't get anything to 0k.

You can get damned close though (laser cooling ahoy!).
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Senestrum wrote:You can't get anything to 0k.

Well it is FT... Regardless if you use anti-matter as fuel you might as well use it in explosive shells as a last resort or something. When you lose all remaining tanks fire their anti-matter shells and destroy half the planet.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:58 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:That's entirely because of the fact that Abrams ammunition is explosive. It's a case of 'path of least resistance'. The bustle has an armoured blast door, sealing it from the turret (except in the dicey moments where a round is actually being removed from the bustle to the gun), and the bustle itself is made of one-piece casted armour plate on the bottom and sides IIRC. The top panels are then fixed over the top.

You are going to need something colder than Liquid Hydrogen to bring the temperature down to 0K.

Liquid Hydrogen's not too far off, something like 10K?

Also, thorium reactors? My knowledge of reactors is pretty much limited to various kinds of pressure water systems.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:58 pm

dropping the control rods (Boron) pretty much kills the reaction anyway

that course in nuclear and theoretical physics is starting to pay off (as in it makes me look like i know what im on about)

1g of matter/anti-matter = 21kt explosion

thorium http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium_reactor
Last edited by Risen Britannia on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Conglomerate of Risen Britannia. Think of us like the Mafia, if you increased their budget by several trillion
Lineart:
New showroom
Risen Britannia is no longer my main nation, if you have any questions please TG Novorden.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:dropping the control rods (Boron) pretty much kills the reaction anyway

that course in nuclear and theoretical physics is starting to pay off (as in it makes me look like i know what im on about)

If your reactor has been holed, it's probably much too late to drop the rods in.
I do need to find out more about how these fridge-sized reactors operate, but I bet the patents will be kept secret until after they are approved. If they aren't approved, the patents probably won't be released.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:13 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Risen Britannia wrote:dropping the control rods (Boron) pretty much kills the reaction anyway

If your reactor has been holed, it's probably much too late to drop the rods in.
I do need to find out more about how these fridge-sized reactors operate, but I bet the patents will be kept secret until after they are approved. If they aren't approved, the patents probably won't be released.

if it has a hole in all thats going to leak out is the coolant. the fuel pellets should still be in place unless directly hit so the control rods should still work
Last edited by Risen Britannia on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lineart:
New showroom

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:46 pm

I would like to switch to a railgun in PMT so I can use a shorter gun, but I'm not gonna go there until someone finds out if that jacketing the round in cold plasma thing works.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept, the idea is that the round would be separated from the rails by said plasma jacket, thus preventing them from touching the rail physically and eliminating the problem of rail wear through direct friction.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:50 pm

So, what would be a good sabot material for a tank shell from the mid 70s and a pure MT (existing and in use technology) tank shell respectively? The sabot needs to deal with pressures slightly greater than those of a Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 gun.

Risen Britannia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Risen Britannia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Axis Nova wrote:I would like to switch to a railgun in PMT so I can use a shorter gun, but I'm not gonna go there until someone finds out if that jacketing the round in cold plasma thing works.

If you're unfamiliar with the concept, the idea is that the round would be separated from the rails by said plasma jacket, thus preventing them from touching the rail physically and eliminating the problem of rail wear through direct friction.

having a super heated gas inside your gun sounds like a bad idea
Lineart:
New showroom

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Risen Britannia wrote:
Axis Nova wrote:I would like to switch to a railgun in PMT so I can use a shorter gun, but I'm not gonna go there until someone finds out if that jacketing the round in cold plasma thing works.

having a super heated gas inside your gun sounds like a bad idea

This.

Sounds like it would make your barrels wear even more ridiculously fast, actually.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:01 pm

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:
Senestrum wrote:You can't get anything to 0k.

Well it is FT...

Getting something down to absolute zero is a lot like traveling at the speed of light; you can approach it asymptotically but you will never reach it.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:So, what would be a good sabot material for a tank shell from the mid 70s and a pure MT (existing and in use technology) tank shell respectively? The sabot needs to deal with pressures slightly greater than those of a Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 gun.

1970's: Aluminum.

Modern: Graphite-fiber/carbon-fiber reinforced polymer with a thin aluminum sheet to prevent burnination. Use nylon for the obturator.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?

Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Senestrum wrote:
The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Well it is FT...

Getting something down to absolute zero is a lot like traveling at the speed of light; you can approach it asymptotically but you will never reach it.

Isn't the speed of light thing in question with that other experiment?
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Indeos wrote:
Senestrum wrote:

That neutrino experiment? I'm waiting for somebody to find some factor that they didn't account for (so far the team has confirmed that the accounted for everything people have suggested they didn't). And if they actually were traveling at that speed... well, they would have been traveling significantly faster than light (18 m/s over), and this is substantially more plausible than actually traveling at the speed of light as it doesn't require infinite energy. It is just as impossible to slow down to the speed of light as it is to accelerate to it (yes, objects traveling faster than light gain energy as they slow down. See: Tachyons).

Most of the objections to FTL travel are based around the fact that scientists loooooooove causality. In fact, the best way to test the whole FTL neutrino thing would be to arrange a similar experiment in such a way as to force time travel.

Indeos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Senestrum wrote:
Indeos wrote:

That neutrino experiment? I'm waiting for somebody to find some factor that they didn't account for (so far the team has confirmed that the accounted for everything people have suggested they didn't). And if they actually were traveling at that speed... well, they would have been traveling significantly faster than light (18 m/s over), and this is substantially more plausible than actually traveling at the speed of light as it doesn't require infinite energy. It is just as impossible to slow down to the speed of light as it is to accelerate to it (yes, objects traveling faster than light gain energy as they slow down. See: Tachyons).

Most of the objections to FTL travel are based around the fact that scientists loooooooove causality. In fact, the best way to test the whole FTL neutrino thing would be to arrange a similar experiment in such a way as to force time travel.

That doesn't make any sense to me, honestly. If we can surpass it, it seems illogical that we can't reach it.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:13 pm

This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

What's next, are you going to ask me why FTL is synonymous with time travel? :p
Last edited by Senestrum on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Celestial Flame
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Celestial Flame » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Umm turned out the (neutrino) experiment forgot to take relativity into account when adjusting the time on both the sending and receiving end.
After doing that the 60ish ns faster was negated. Thus relativity was preserved.

That is not to say appearent't "FTL" is not possible.
Bending space allows you to travel faster then what it would normally take light to in a non distorted space time setting. That is not to say you are traveling faster then light, since that is not the case, just the distances were significantly reduced.(using that method time isn't "sped" up elsewhere)
Besides relativity is only an issue for travel for those outside your reference frame.
From earth you could reach the nearest star in literally seconds if you had enough energy its just a huge amount of time would have passed on earth in doing so.
Last edited by The Celestial Flame on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I made a pseudo bio for those that don't like searching. Now with 300% more data.
factbook
Any and all information provided by our nations NS page about the Empire is likely wrong.
We do not have anything to do with dragons...

Indeos
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

What's next, are you going to ask me why FTL is synonymous with time travel? :p

Yes. :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information