NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Mech (No Tanks)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm

OOC:
Ruskarkand wrote:For starters, Kilometers per hour =/= Miles per hour. 60 Miles per hour is roughly 96 Kilometers per Hour, the only Mech that can match that speed is a light mech, the Raven.

Eh, plenty of mechs that'll match or exceed that. My merc company's got two Phoenix Hawks and a Javelin that move the same speed as a Raven, and a Jenner that tops out at 110 km/h. And we're playing in 3025. Get into Clan era and recovered tech and Clan tech, and it's pretty practical to get heavies up to 90 km/h, and any medium that isn't doing at least 80 km/h is doing something wrong.

Still can't match hovercraft, though... our J. Edgar hover cruises at 110. Flank speed is in excess of 170 km/h.

Now, as for the weight; that's where I start getting confused. These stats were taken from the Battletech equivalents of the mechs, but I modified them slightly. The weight was the part where I raised an eyebrow, I decided it would be best to leave them on the part of believing that the designers of battletech knew what they were doing. I will probably modify these to be more realistic; but only for some mechs. Got any suggestions for the weight? I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction if I am going to redo the weight statistics.

I love me some BattleTech - I've been playing for 27 years now, long enough that I can claim that the Clans wrecked the game - but, man, the tonnages are completely wack. I've done the math, using some of the 1/48 scale models I've got and BattleTech tonnage figures, and... not only is the ground pressure thing that mech-haters go on about a total non-issue, most battlemechs should float in water. Seriously. Not only is your Atlas not going to sink into the pavement, the frickin' thing can do the backfloat.

The only sane theory I've been able to come up with is that myomer fiber is really light but bulky, and so those mechs are a basically a thin super-alloy skeleton wrapped in fluff, with a layer of super-strong foil armor wrapped around that, and some weapons strapped on.

More reasonably, they got a zero shot off their tonnage numbers during the Succession Wars...

Oh, and this is why I love the Atlas so much, it's just "one of those" Mechs, thought I'd share my thoughts.
Note: That's a Timberwolf (Or a vulture, it's pretty banged up, difficult to tell), getting it's pilot canopy being smashed in by the Atlas' fist.

It's a Vulture. Sic semper clanners.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Omaska
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Omaska » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 am

The L5 Gigante (Spanish for 'gigantic') is a highly armoured, powerful and maneuverable Omaskan Battle Walker used by the Confederate Armed Forces.

What the L5 Gigante Battlewalker loses in forward velocity, it makes up for ten-fold in offensive potency and scope. The bipedal configuration of this next generation assault unit enables it to traverse almost all terrains while its elevated vantage point, providing long distance viewing and multi-directional targeting, gives it a significant advantage over low height, horizontally-based agents. Manned by two occupants, the Battlewalker is outfitted with an array of weaponry, including two rapid-fire cannons and a dual-arena, infrared homing missile system. The Battlewalker armor is multi-layered, combining steel and reinforced plastic laminates with kinetic energy and heat absorbing materials. An automatic Active Defense System assists in resisting off air and ground fired rocket attacks.

The Gigante was inspired by the Minroz's 'T1' Battle Walker, which would eventually be developed into the T-39 Baghatur. Whilst Minroz has long had the more advanced Battle Walkers, the latest versions of the Gigante are up to the standard of their counterparts by the outbreak of The Cold War.

At long range, the Gigante's AV missiles snake around less than the Baghatur, giving it a slight advantage. But Gigante are expansive comparing to their Minrozian counterparts due to sophisticated production.

Specifications
Weaponry
• Two mounted Gatling guns
• Infrared Missile System
• One mounted Anti Aircraft/Anti Infantry MG
• MG mounted EMP infrared missile system

Armour
• Steel + Reinforced Plastic laminates
• Outer Layered Insulating Materials

Defences
• ADS

Capacity
• One pilot
• One gunner

Propulsion
• Two reinforced piston operated legs
• One high powered drive engine

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 am

Omaska wrote:
(Image)

The L5 Gigante (Spanish for 'gigantic') is a highly armoured, powerful and maneuverable Omaskan Battle Walker used by the Confederate Armed Forces.

What the L5 Gigante Battlewalker loses in forward velocity, it makes up for ten-fold in offensive potency and scope. The bipedal configuration of this next generation assault unit enables it to traverse almost all terrains while its elevated vantage point, providing long distance viewing and multi-directional targeting, gives it a significant advantage over low height, horizontally-based agents. Manned by two occupants, the Battlewalker is outfitted with an array of weaponry, including two rapid-fire cannons and a dual-arena, infrared homing missile system. The Battlewalker armor is multi-layered, combining steel and reinforced plastic laminates with kinetic energy and heat absorbing materials. An automatic Active Defense System assists in resisting off air and ground fired rocket attacks.

The Gigante was inspired by the Minroz's 'T1' Battle Walker, which would eventually be developed into the T-39 Baghatur. Whilst Minroz has long had the more advanced Battle Walkers, the latest versions of the Gigante are up to the standard of their counterparts by the outbreak of The Cold War.

At long range, the Gigante's AV missiles snake around less than the Baghatur, giving it a slight advantage. But Gigante are expansive comparing to their Minrozian counterparts due to sophisticated production.

Specifications
Weaponry

Armour

Defences
• ADS

Capacity
• One pilot
• One gunner

Propulsion

I like the look of this one; the body sort of resembles a tank turret so I can imagine the front armour being able to take a fair bit of punishment and since you've not given it any overpowered weapons like a tank gun it won't have a problem with the recoil. I can see it being effective in low density conflicts where the main opposition's going to be from infantry, while the missiles can probably deal with aircraft quite nicely as well. It's only main problem will be if it comes up against an actual tanks so as long as it has some sort of non-mech unit for support in those cases it will probably do nicely.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Omaska wrote:
(Image)

Specifications
Weaponry

Armour

Defences
• ADS

Capacity
• One pilot
• One gunner

Propulsion

Hey look someone uses the same mech as me!
Right behind you...: UDL

Malbogia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

AT-HT

Postby Malbogia » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Drakumbia
Attaché

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drakumbia » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Currently, we have no mech, though we are researching and developing a prototype, known as the X1277 Griffin. It is yet to enter service and is not to expected to do so until sometime around the halfway point of the century.

Concept at of an X1277 in action
Puppet of Saurisisia

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Drakumbia wrote:Currently, we have no mech, though we are researching and developing a prototype, known as the X1277 Griffin. It is yet to enter service and is not to expected to do so until sometime around the halfway point of the century.

Concept at of an X1277 in action

viewtopic.php?p=8306573#p8306573

I beat you to it! :p
Salty Corporal in the Marine Corps.
God.Bless.America.
Alert Status: |Low| |Guarded| |Elevated| |High| |Severe|
Defcon: |5| |4| |3| |2| |1|

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Why do so many people foolishly replace their MBT's with inferior mecha/mechs?

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Bajireyn wrote:Why do so many people foolishly replace their MBT's with inferior mecha/mechs?

They just think it's cooler.

While yes, Walkers are indeed cool, they're no replacement for tanks. Hence why my FT Army employs both tanks and Walkers.
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:42 am

Bajireyn wrote:Why do so many people foolishly replace their MBT's with inferior mecha/mechs?

To repeat:
Ularn wrote:And before anyone says, we are most likely perfectly aware of how infeasible mechs would really be in real life. Chill out and recite the MST3K Mantra.

Saurisisia wrote:While yes, Walkers are indeed cool, they're no replacement for tanks. Hence why my FT Army employs both tanks and Walkers.

This approach is best approach.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Arkon Corporation
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkon Corporation » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:46 pm

The Landmate Exosuit made for a single soldier to amplify his/her abilities. Constructed for the special forces E-S.W.A.T.
Landmate

For commanders and generals, they can personalize their Landmates to any degree. Giving them better weapons, different color, etc.

Commander Siphon's Landmate
I have been asked "Would you rather face a velociraptor or a necromorph?" That depends, is it a raptor pack? If not, I'd take one the lone one. If so, I'd fear them. Also it matters which kind of necromorph. Then there are the Stalkers...
-Me
Hey! You! Any post made about Arkon's military before 6/26/2012 may not be accurate, check the factbook (when it's done) about it.

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Ularn wrote:

To repeat:
Ularn wrote:And before anyone says, we are most likely perfectly aware of how infeasible mechs would really be in real life. Chill out and recite the MST3K Mantra.

Saurisisia wrote:While yes, Walkers are indeed cool, they're no replacement for tanks. Hence why my FT Army employs both tanks and Walkers.

This approach is best approach.

Indeed.
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Arkon Corporation
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkon Corporation » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:24 pm

What about a tank type Armored Core Unit?

Same Armored Core Unit with legs and with tank tracks
I have been asked "Would you rather face a velociraptor or a necromorph?" That depends, is it a raptor pack? If not, I'd take one the lone one. If so, I'd fear them. Also it matters which kind of necromorph. Then there are the Stalkers...
-Me
Hey! You! Any post made about Arkon's military before 6/26/2012 may not be accurate, check the factbook (when it's done) about it.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Arkon Corporation wrote:What about a tank type Armored Core Unit?

That's actually giving you the worst of both worlds. You lose what few advantages a humanoid form does have over a tank while also sacrificing the tank's lower profile and sloped armour for, as far as I can see, no advantage.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Ularn wrote:
Arkon Corporation wrote:What about a tank type Armored Core Unit?

That's actually giving you the worst of both worlds. You lose what few advantages a humanoid form does have over a tank while also sacrificing the tank's lower profile and sloped armour for, as far as I can see, no advantage.

To me, it looks like a mix of this and this, so I suppose it could have some advantages.
God.Bless.America.

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Graditoras "Mech"
Nothing big and nothing pretty just something to aid the common soldier in breaking everyone's face in who still uses Droids and Clone trooper like soldiers.
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Arkon Corporation
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkon Corporation » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:33 pm

The Germania Alliance wrote:
Ularn wrote:That's actually giving you the worst of both worlds. You lose what few advantages a humanoid form does have over a tank while also sacrificing the tank's lower profile and sloped armour for, as far as I can see, no advantage.

To me, it looks like a mix of this and this, so I suppose it could have some advantages.

Especially if it's as big as it was in the game :p

Mabey there are better versions of mech-tank hybrids.
-Me

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Graditora wrote:Graditoras "Mech"
(Image)
Nothing big and nothing pretty just something to aid the common soldier in breaking everyone's face in who still uses Droids and Clone trooper like soldiers.

Thats actually powered armor....

Graditora
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Bajireyn wrote:
Graditora wrote:Graditoras "Mech"
(Image)

Thats actually powered armor....

Well now I know...learning everyday since 1995 :p
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Arkon Corporation wrote:

If it's large (and I hadn't taken that into consideration), it's just begging to be target practice, so never mind. :p

http://mechazone.net/media/emulation/Xbox360/chromehounds-shotw.jpg; this is technically considered a mech (note I'm just using it as an example), so if someone could make this thing smaller (it's ten times bigger than a tank :p ), I suppose you could have the best of one world (tanks) and a little of the other world, though it's still probably going to be huge. It has a one-man crew situated in the cockpit (could be called a turret, though the entire 'command center' is in it too, so I'm not sure which it would be), so it technically qualifies as what is considered a 'western' mech.
God.Bless.America.

Graditora
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Arkon Corporation wrote:

If it's large (and I hadn't taken that into consideration), it's just begging to be target practice, so never mind. :p

http://mechazone.net/media/emulation/Xbox360/chromehounds-shotw.jpg; this is technically considered a mech (note I'm just using it as an example), so if someone could make this thing smaller (it's ten times bigger than a tank :p ), I suppose you could have the best of one world (tanks) and a little of the other world, though it's still probably going to be huge. It has a one-man crew situated in the cockpit (could be called a turret, though the entire 'command center' is in it too, so I'm not sure which it would be), so it technically qualifies as what is considered a 'western' mech.

I used to have that game...I miss it
The Shadow of F7

Hobbiest Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Hidden Stockpile

Postby Hobbiest Republic » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:58 pm

My nation isn't yet large enough to develop our own Mechs, but there were recently large Mecha hangars rediscovered under Mary's Peak, Ancient but serviceable OZ mobile suits. OZ MS-06 'Leo' and OS AMS-07 'Aries' Suits were discovered, as well as incomplete schematics for 'Taurus' units. We're still working on modifying our existing infrastructure to support transportation of the suits, until then they'll remain posted at the Capital. As far as the most common suit employed, it would be the L150 Power Armor, which looks suspiciously similar to the kind that starcraft marines use. However these aren't classified as mecha, so much as power armor.
CoPS-Member
CoNS- Founder/Member
UEF-Observer
Amistad Signatory

Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03
Aboot Meh: Pro-Chife, Pro-Dakka, Pro-Capitalism, Pro-Freedom
"That's what forgiveness sounds like, Screaming and then silence."-Carl

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:32 pm

Graditora wrote:I used to have that game...I miss it

Would be worth getting again if the servers hadn't been taken down. :(
God.Bless.America.

Shevorin
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Shevorin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:16 am

(Don't have pics, don't feel like drawing anything right now).

ModMech 1.0
A mech in production by the Shevorin government, with about 100 in testing. It's not a huge giant mech, but is worn by Shevorin soldiers, a mech suit with a helmet. It is fully customizable, with several add-ons. Here is a general list.
Laser Cannon. A small laser gun, which fires beams efficiently. It burns through skin. It is strapped on to the wrist area.
Micro-Jets. A small jet-pack engineered into the ModMech, which can carry soldiers up to 5,000 ft. above ground.
Assault Rifle. An assault rifle that can be fitted onto the Micro-Jets.
Double Armor. An extra suit of armor to be fitted over the first suit. Makes soldiers harder to kill and increases storage, but makes them slower.
Buzzsaw. Two buzzsaws that can be fitted into the shoulder area. Can be fired easily.
X-Ray Sniper. A rather small sniper rifle, with extremely accurate crosshairs.
(Yes, I know there are only 6 customization features. I wrote this at 12:30 a.m. I'm not completely full of ideas right now.

The ModMech constantly undergoes changes, allowing more customization.

Drone Automaton
The Drone Automaton is a mech currently used in the Shevorin Army. It stands at about 6 feet, but has superhuman capabilities. It can jump far and high, it hits hard, and runs fast. However, they are expensive, so they are not too numerous. They attack using their fists. They are mainly used in National Defense.

Major Automaton
A rare automaton, which is a larger and more powerful form of the Drone Automaton. They are even more expensive than the drones, and there are currently around 100 Major Automatons, only used in national emergencies.

Project Grand Automaton
Project Grand Automaton is a military project in progress by the Shevorin government. It is designed to be the ultimate defense force. It is currently about 5 years in production. It will be extremely superhuman, able to eradicate entire troops of enemies with no effort at all.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:50 am

Writeup to come tomorrow.
Unreachable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information