NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Mech (No Tanks)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Bajireyn wrote:
Graditora wrote:(Image)
Would this be considered a Mech?

Is it controlled by the pilots movements or does he use controls to pilot the vehicle?

Pilots movements for the legs and arms are like joy sticks but can be set to a more movement like controlled setting
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Graditora wrote:
Bajireyn wrote:Is it controlled by the pilots movements or does he use controls to pilot the vehicle?

Pilots movements for the legs and arms are like joy sticks but can be set to a more movement like controlled setting

Yes it is a mech.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Graditora
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Galla- wrote:
Graditora wrote:Pilots movements for the legs and arms are like joy sticks but can be set to a more movement like controlled setting

Yes it is a mech.

Cool! Bout to say if its just another powered suit of armor :p
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 pm

the general distinction between powered armor and a mech is that you wear one but pilot the other
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Senestrum wrote:the general distinction between powered armor and a mech is that you wear one but pilot the other

Yes, but even the difference between "wear" and "pilot" becomes hazy once the operator is controlling the unit by moving their body in ways mimicked by the unit.
Last edited by Ularn on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:29 pm

They're still piloting it, the control interface is just different. They certainly aren't wearing it. :p

Edit: Where the distinction really gets fuzzy is stuff like this.
Last edited by Senestrum on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Arkon Corporation
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkon Corporation » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Senestrum wrote:They're still piloting it, the control interface is just different. They certainly aren't wearing it. :p

Hey, a Landmate! That's what my nation uses.

Gotta love Appleseed.
I have been asked "Would you rather face a velociraptor or a necromorph?" That depends, is it a raptor pack? If not, I'd take one the lone one. If so, I'd fear them. Also it matters which kind of necromorph. Then there are the Stalkers...
-Me
Hey! You! Any post made about Arkon's military before 6/26/2012 may not be accurate, check the factbook (when it's done) about it.

Labno
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Labno » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:20 pm

NMX07-3F's
These are upgraded versions of NMX04-1A's. They are generally seen in engineering/support roles for AFV's. They use graphene/silicate armor, mounted bazooka's/RPG's, and high powered machine guns. They have reinforced frames using mixes of tungsten, aluminum, zirconium, and steel. Their mounts can also be replaced with [and are normally equipped with] construction and repair gear. Their power supplies generally alternate between cheap multi-fuel [primarily hydrogen] burning engines or the more expensive but more dependable and widespread [it is equipped in most of our standard battle tanks] portable nuclear reactors.

this
this
this[/img]
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Auman/Aumanii%20Army/MetalgearRex.jpg]this

There have also been numerous proposals for mecha designed explicitly for combat [see ones above] but so far they have been unsuccessful and are seen as too costly to have any true benefits in comparison to current mechs.

For some historical looks on mechs in the Empire look at this.

*I apologize for the glitch in this post, I cannot seem to fix it no matter what I try*
Last edited by Labno on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILL EM ALL!!!
他们都杀光!!!

We NeedYour Help!

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:40 am

Senestrum wrote:They're still piloting it, the control interface is just different. They certainly aren't wearing it. :p

appleseed <3

tho i wonder if this makes atmospheric diving suits like JIM a mecha >:
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:13 pm

Not letting this thread die.
Right behind you...: UDL

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Bajireyn wrote:Not letting this thread die.

After this Wednesday I might have some free time, in which case I might finish sketching the Heinlein. Got a leg design I'm happy with now - at last!
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

The Reaper Armada
Attaché

Founded: Apr 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reaper Armada » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:53 am

This is our closest entity to resemble a mech

However, a large number of ourselves are specialized in land-based warfare as shock troops and infantry support. We have determined that this fits a definition of a "tank" to some degree

These entities are 160m in height, and are primarily used in guarding key positions or securing an area where probability for success among our infantry meet less than optimal standards. The organics appropriately call them "Destroyers." Destroyers are equipped with a single magnetohydrodynamic weapon and possess an exoskeleton capable of enduring all but the most punishing of firepower. The weaknesses of this entity is its slow firing rate; it is poor against individual targets and its poor maneuverability. It is also combat ineffective against fast-moving air threats, though slow-moving assets in its field of view are very vulnerable. A considerable dark energy core at its center makes the Destroyer independent of energy sources such as fossil fuels. Destroyers are not shielded, and as a result are more vulnerable than their naval counterparts.

We all communicate with each other through a combination of electromagnetic signals, infrasonic, and ultrasonic noise. Organics exposed to this too long suffer fatigue and adverse neurological effects
Last edited by The Reaper Armada on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We Have No Beginning. We Have No End. We Are Infinite"

Graditora
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 am

Anyone got some Spider Mech's up for sale for FT? :p
The Shadow of F7

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:19 am

Graditora wrote:Anyone got some Spider Mech's up for sale for FT? :p

Sorry; the Heinlein's a biped - and not for sale anyway, since the design's still in Beta Testing. I'm not convinced that a spider mech would have any advantages over a biped anyway. I guess it could keep a lower profile but still not as low as a tank. To be honest, you're probably best using a combination of bipedal mechs and tanks and ignoring spiders altogether but that's just my suspicion.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Graditora
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 am

Ularn wrote:
Graditora wrote:Anyone got some Spider Mech's up for sale for FT? :p

Sorry; the Heinlein's a biped - and not for sale anyway, since the design's still in Beta Testing. I'm not convinced that a spider mech would have any advantages over a biped anyway. I guess it could keep a lower profile but still not as low as a tank. To be honest, you're probably best using a combination of bipedal mechs and tanks and ignoring spiders altogether but that's just my suspicion.

Well how I see it is that each has it's own advantages.
Advantages
Spider:
More balance Has little to no chance of falling over
Climb steeper slopes with ease
Easily concealable
Carries a more heavier load without much original speed reduction
Larger guns and armor more accessible
Multiple legs

Bipedal:
Fast
Higher on the ground
Harder to hit from the air

Disadvantages
Spider:
Slow
A bit more expensive
Heavy
Hard to quickly deploy

Bipedal:
Chance of falling over
Can't mount heavy armor and weapons
Hard to conceal
Legs are a great weak point in disabling the whole vehicle Hit one leg and dismember it or damage a joint the vehicles combat use is greatly reduced

This is how I see it when I compare the two methods of traversing.

I greatly prefer the Spider just because I need a vehicle that can go anywhere and the expensive, slowness, and unease of deployment doesn't rather mean much when you can pack a more high quality front line fighting mech.
The Shadow of F7

Minroz
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Minroz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm curious, Is this thread still active?

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm

MInroz wrote:I'm curious, Is this thread still active?

Not really.
Right behind you...: UDL

Graditora
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Bajireyn wrote:
MInroz wrote:I'm curious, Is this thread still active?

Not really.

I wish it was more active...
The Shadow of F7

Minroz
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Minroz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Graditora wrote:
Bajireyn wrote:Not really.

I wish it was more active...

Me too.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:00 am

The Imperial Mechanised Armoured Assult Units (IMAAU) or Phantoms.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Minroz
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Minroz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Motor Golem

Motorgolems are general classification of mechs in Iclamia. Rooted from the idea is advanced fire-support platform in order to support regular infantries and tank units, where in places they can’t go in. They’re part of national reformation programs to enhance military capabilities. Motorgolems are huge and tall robots are used primarily by military forces in Iclamia, most especially by Minroz, Xoraine and Omaska. Mogol is the short term for Motorgolems.

RK-92 Yěmán (野蛮) ‘Savage’
RK-92-in-action

Height: 8.1 meters
Weight: 12.5 tons
Top Speed: 130 km/h
Operational Duration: 230 hours
Power Source: Gas turbine engine
Standard Armaments: 14.5mm machine gun (x2 head mount), Longdai BK-540 37mm Rifle

The RK-92 Yěmán (野蛮) ‘Savage’ is a mass produced Mogol from the Minrozian World Empire. It is the most ubiquitous mech amongst modern Iclamian nations and has also seen use by terrorist and crime organizations. The Savage has less armour than many Xoran and Omaska Mogols, but makes up with increased manoeuvrability. The earlier RK-91 model housed a diesel piston engine, the newer Rk-92 has adopted the gas turbine engine. The best features of the Savage are without a doubt its low cost and high availability relative to other Iclamian mechs. It’s quite a versatile mech and noted for their high reliability including able to withstand severe environmental conditions. The Savage models are continued to be employed as a Frontline Minrozian Army unit, alongside T-39 Baghaturs.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:11 am

MInroz wrote:Motor Golem

Motorgolems are general classification of mechs in Iclamia. Rooted from the idea is advanced fire-support platform in order to support regular infantries and tank units, where in places they can’t go in. They’re part of national reformation programs to enhance military capabilities. Motorgolems are huge and tall robots are used primarily by military forces in Iclamia, most especially by Minroz, Xoraine and Omaska. Mogol is the short term for Motorgolems.

(Image)
(Image)
RK-92-in-action

Standard Armaments: 14.5mm machine gun (x2 head mount), Longdai BK-540 37mm Rifle

The RK-92 Yěmán (野蛮) ‘Savage’ is a mass produced Mogol from the Minrozian World Empire. It is the most ubiquitous mech amongst modern Iclamian nations and has also seen use by terrorist and crime organizations. The Savage has less armour than many Xoran and Omaska Mogols, but makes up with increased manoeuvrability. The earlier RK-91 model housed a diesel piston engine, the newer Rk-92 has adopted the gas turbine engine. The best features of the Savage are without a doubt its low cost and high availability relative to other Iclamian mechs. It’s quite a versatile mech and noted for their high reliability including able to withstand severe environmental conditions. The Savage models are continued to be employed as a Frontline Minrozian Army unit, alongside T-39 Baghaturs.

You say it's meant to go places regular infantry and tanks cannot. At 8.1m tall, I honestly can't think of anywhere that this could fit where an infantryman could not.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Novus Niciae
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Niciae » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:32 am

If you are talking honest to goodness mechs these are two of the most common ones in our defense forces.

B-126 Battlemaster Main Battle Mecha
Armament: 2 x heavy plasma cannons (5000 kj), 2 x xray lasers (3600 kj) , 2 x 20mm auto-cannons , 1 x 6 shot missile launcher with internal magazine for 10 salvos.
Weight: 85 tonnes
Top speed: 96.27 kph
Armor: 16.5 tonnes of laminate crysteel/ferrofiber armor.

NAFA-12 Pegasus Variable Fighter
Armament: 1x Very Rapid Fire x-ray laser gunpod [rifle mounted in mecha and hybrid mode, dorsal mount in fighter mode] (3600 kj), 4x 1500 kj x-ray lasers [head mount in mecha mode, nose mount in hybrid and fighter mode], 6 missile hardpoints {each can mount a cluster of up to 4 missiles} [in bays along fuselage in fighter & hybrid mode, back, arm and leg mounted bays in mecha mode]
Top speed : space 16g acceleration, air: mach 4.75, land: 105 kph.
Armor: Classified

Some of our mecha are 'piloted' by Minds (AIs) and they tend to place a manikin dressed in a flight suit in the pilot's seat to avoid people freaking out when they see a pilot-less mecha.
Last edited by Novus Niciae on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
For: Free thought, 2 state solution for Israel, democracy, playing the game.
Against: Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Slavery, Playing the system
Tech Level: FT

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 am

(Image)
(Image)
RK-92-in-action

Why the separate gun? Bearing in mind the scale, what else can use that weapon anyway? Why not actually have it built into the mech itself, which would be more efficient?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Novus Niciae
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus Niciae » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:59 am

Bears Armed wrote:

(Image)
(Image)
RK-92-in-action

Why the separate gun? Bearing in mind the scale, what else can use that weapon anyway? Why not actually have it built into the mech itself, which would be more efficient?

The advantage of a mecha rifle is that it can be swapped out in next to no time if the original rifle is ineffective. For instance switching an autocannon to a plasma rifle to deal with foes vulnerable to heat.
Last edited by Novus Niciae on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
For: Free thought, 2 state solution for Israel, democracy, playing the game.
Against: Totalitarianism, Theocracy, Slavery, Playing the system
Tech Level: FT

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information