NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Main Battle Mech (No Tanks)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Your Nation's Main Battle Mech (No Tanks)

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Brothers, for too long the YNMBT thread has dominated F&NI with their Track-based turreted tyranny! We must rise up and show them that our mechs are forces to be feared also. With your legs, Chaaarge!

Yeah, so basically it's the mech equivalent of the Main Battle Tank Thread. Those of you who use mechs, mecha, titans or any mechanised armour in your army that moves on legs and/or has arms, post here and tell us about them. Discussion of mechs and their designs are to be encouraged. We like pictures, but we like OC more!

Definition of a "Mech" - because some people were getting confused:
Broadly, the tank thread requires that the vehicle in question moves on tracks or wheels (or antigrav or magic, if you're so inclined) and doesn't have arms or a head. If you have a land-based vehicle which doesn't meet those criteria, it can probably got here.

As far as this thread is concerned, a "mech" is any sort of armoured fighting unit with some kind of human-like characteristics. If it moves on (any number of) legs then it is definitely a mech. If it moves one tracks but has arms then it is probably a mech. "Mech" is not defined by size and can include anything from a human-sized robot to a fifty-foot Gundam to one of those AT-ATs from Star Wars. A mech may be piloted, remote controled, or have its own AI. In short, if you think what you have might be a mech, then it can probably go here.

And before anyone says, we are most likely perfectly aware of how infeasible mechs would really be in real life. Chill out and recite the MST3K Mantra.

Despite their extensive use of light power armour, the Ularn Interstellar Federation currently has no mechs in the Ularn Space Navy Marines. However, numerous foreign intelligence offices have managed to glean details of a Reasearch and Development Initiative currently in progress known as Project Heinlein. Apparently an effort to respond to the heavier power armours adopted by other space nations, the subject of the project appears to be a humanoid suit of armour roughly 3.5m tall with the pilot fully encased in the torso. Heavy armour of the kind usually seen on the Dragon Main Battle Gravity Tank protects the torso and limbs along with an Electronic Countermeasure Suite comparable to that found in a fighter plane. A gravitic jump-jet enables the unit to leap across the battlefield in a series of vast bounds while raining fire from weapons attached to the hardpoints on its shoulders and forearms.

Common armaments are heavy machine guns, missile launchers and anti-armour weapons. In addition, smoke, flare and chaff launchers supplement its defence along with an array of claymore mines attached to the unit's legs. As well as being useful as a hard-kill countermeasure against missile attacks, these mines can be devastating against infantry at close range, making a common tactic being to drop in right behind a squad of infantry in cover, blast them with a mine and then jump out before the enemy can react.

Unfortunately, the prototype unit is far from invincible. When jumping it is fast and manoeuvrable but highly vulnerable to enemy AA defences. On the ground it can bring its full firepower to bear but is much slower and lightly armoured than a tank. As a result, the best tactics is to maintain a practice of constant, small jumps, keeping the unit on the move but at the same time staying below the altitude at which AA fire can become effective.

(So in other words, I'm still doing the lineart for this thing but I hope to have Heinlein Mini-Mechs/Heavy Power Armour Suits in action by my next RP and they'll pretty much act like this. Images will appear when I finish them.)
Last edited by Ularn on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Ah good, a proper Mech thread.

The Saurisian military employs a number of Mechs. However, it should be noted that we call them Walkers, instead of just plain old Mechs. These different Walkers all fulfill different purposes.

First, there's the M91 Medium Walker, designed to aid and support the troops as well as being a general battle Walker:

Link

Then, there's the M60 man-portable walker, intended to give adequate support to infantry, they're smaller and weaker than the M91:

There's the M100 Heavy Assault Walker, designed to carry troops as well as lead an assault against enemy-held strongholds and cities:

The M91 is currently being replaced by the M73 Crocodile, slated to enter service by 2820:

We are also testing a new Heavy Walker, the XM6 Majungasaurus, designed to conduct heavy assaults on the enemy and unleash a punishing barrage of fire on hostile forces:

It's still in testing though

There's another Walker also enduring testing, the XM11 Wyvern Light Assault Walker, designed to be lighter and faster than vehicles like the M91 and the M73 but more durable and powerful than the M60 as well as giving the pilot better protection. The vehicle is slated to enter service in 2825.

Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Noders
Senator

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noders » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:41 pm

We have about 250 of these right now in the test stages for use in security purposes
Socialdemokraterne wrote:Noders: Only the finest books and pizza. And books about pizza. Not so much their book-flavored pizzas, though.

Me=Noders God of pissing you off
Parkus= God Of Sex and Cool and lots of Cigs
Menassa= God of the Jews
Spreewerke=God of the AK
Indeos=God of you know what just a bloody god
Xarithis= God Of World Domination
"Ruthless and efficient in the bedroom as well as on the battlefield, Britannia is the living emblem of strength, persistence, and dignity and Really Fucking Good Line Art.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:48 pm

tag
Unreachable.

The UEG-Space Command
Minister

Founded: Jan 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The UEG-Space Command » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:53 pm

info to come, I am just lazy right now.
"For too many years, humanity was on the backfoot. Reacting to threats, rather than preventing them. Rest of the galaxy was bigger than us. Stronger than us. We were mice, hiding in the shadows, hoping the giants would not see us. No more. Humanity is no longer on the defense. We are the giants now."

"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man, that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable."
—Leonard Church

"You ever wonder why we're here?"

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Designation: Mk.30A 'Chimpanzee' heavy powered armor / light reconnaissance mech
Manufacturer: An'dor Mechanized Systems
Cost: $ 4,500,500
Weight: 20 tons
Crew: 1 (Driver-Gunner)
Height: 2.4 meters
Armour: Composite armor with titanium reinforcement.
Armament: 1 35mm autocannon firing caseless rounds
Suspension: Hydraulic feet.
Range: 590 km
Max Speed:40 kmh

Designation: Mk.25C 'Gorilla' combat walker
Manufacturer: Da'hool Armaments
Cost: $ 8,540,500
Height: 4 meters
Weight: 51 tons
Crew: 2 (Driver, & Gunner)
Armour: CTOGAM - titanium armor.
Armament: 2 35mm Gatling guns with 450 rounds each and 160 40mm AT rockets or 8 lancer AT missiles and 1 dual barrel 14.5 machine gun with 2 EMP missiles. 4 Smoke grenade launchers.
Suspension: Hydraulic feet.
Range: 590 km
Max Speed: 35 kmh
Last edited by Bajireyn on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Right behind you...: UDL

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:55 pm

The UEG-Space Command wrote:(Image)

info to come, I am just lazy right now.

that doesn't look like anything the UNSC would use...
Right behind you...: UDL

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

When I get the sketches done for the Heinlein armour it's basically going to be a cross between this Vital Suit from Lost Planet and the Silverback from Gears of War 3.

Basically it will have the Vital Suit's rough hull shape and the Silverback's extra leg armour while being about half-way between the two in terms of height. Weapons could be mounted on both the arms and shoulders. It would also have a jump pack powerful enough to carry it about a mile with each jump, though doing so would put it at risk of AA fire so smaller jumps are encouraged.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Ruskarkand
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskarkand » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:26 pm

ATLAS AS7-D Superheavy Battlemech
"We asked our designers to design a mech so ugly that it would inspire fear into even the most battle-hardened soul on the battlefield. It took a few months, but when the first prototype was complete, a smile appeared on our faces on the first inspection; as the colossal 100 ton giant faced at us with it's skull-like face.. It was perfect: All the lead designer could say was;
"Behold, the Atlas."

Technical specifications
Weight: 100 Tons.
Cost: 9,626,000 Credits.
Chassis: Foundation Type 10X
Armor: Durallex Heavy Special
Engine: Vlar 300
Speed 54 KM/h
Jump Jets: None.
Crew: One Dragonkinian Operator.
Armament:
4X Medium Lasers
1X SRM-6 Short Range Rocket Launcher
1X Medium 125mm Gauss Cannon
4X 50 Cal. Machine Guns

Warhammer IIC Heavy Battlemech
Technical specifications
Weight: 80 Tons.
Cost: 9,183,000 Credits.
Chassis: SFX-80 Endo Steel
Armor: Forging ZM15 Ferro-Fibrous
Engine: Type 10 320 Standard
Speed 64.8 km/h
Armament:
2X ER PPCs Gauss
5X Medium Pulse Lasers
1X SRM-6
4X 50 Cal. Machine Guns

Summoner //THOR Heavy Omnimech
Technical specifications
Weight: 70 Tons.
Cost: 8,753,000 Credits.
Chassis: JFS-703
Armor: J63-3E Ferro-Fibrous
Engine: Redline 350 XL
Speed 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: JF Standard
Armament:
1X LB 10-X Autocannon
1X LRM-15
1X ER PPC
- Scottish resident of the United Kingdom.
- Appreciator of Dragons and Draconic things.
- Minor FanT. FT.
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Ruskarkand wrote:

ATLAS AS7-D Superheavy Battlemech
"We asked our designers to design a mech so ugly that it would inspire fear into even the most battle-hardened soul on the battlefield. It took a few months, but when the first prototype was complete, a smile appeared on our faces on the first inspection; as the colossal 100 ton giant faced at us with it's skull-like face.. It was perfect: All the lead designer could say was;
"Behold, the Atlas."

Technical specifications
Weight: 100 Tons.
Cost: 9,626,000 Credits.
Chassis: Foundation Type 10X
Armor: Durallex Heavy Special
Engine: Vlar 300
Speed 54 KM/h
Armament:
4X Medium Lasers
1X SRM-6 Short Range Rocket Launcher
1X Medium 125mm Gauss Cannon
4X 50 Cal. Machine Guns

Warhammer IIC Heavy Battlemech
Technical specifications
Weight: 80 Tons.
Cost: 9,183,000 Credits.
Chassis: SFX-80 Endo Steel
Armor: Forging ZM15 Ferro-Fibrous
Engine: Type 10 320 Standard
Speed 64.8 km/h
Armament:
2X ER PPCs Gauss
5X Medium Pulse Lasers
1X SRM-6
4X 50 Cal. Machine Guns

Summoner //THOR Heavy Omnimech
Technical specifications
Weight: 70 Tons.
Cost: 8,753,000 Credits.
Chassis: JFS-703
Armor: J63-3E Ferro-Fibrous
Engine: Redline 350 XL
Speed 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: JF Standard
Armament:
1X LB 10-X Autocannon
1X LRM-15
1X ER PPC

Nifty, but a couple of things:

Your speed estimates look unreasonably high - especially for the two without jump jets; Tanks can barely make 60 miles per hour; mechs won't come close on legs unless they're flying on jets for most of the way. Also, they ought to be heavier. Your average Main Battle Tank weighs around 60 tons; a mech is going to be considerably more, as in 250+ tons for the Atlas. My Heinlein Mini mech's going to be around 40 tons and it's only a fraction of the size of those.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Nirvash // TheEND
    Weight: 163 Tons
    Frame: Nirvash// Archetype
    Top Speed: Mach 5
    Crew: 1 Coralian
    Armamnets: 2 sets of Ejecting Jet-maneuvered wrist mounted claws
    2 Blades
    64 Homing Lasers
    128 Short Range Air-to-air missiles
    VASCUD//Crisis Energy Weapon
Last edited by Nirvash Type TheEND on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Unreachable.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Is there any reason for that protruding pelvis design? I've seen it in a lot of mech artwork; eastern and western, and as never sure if it served some purpose or whether the boy mech had just seen a lady mech with a nice big set of powerplants :roll:
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Ularn wrote:Is there any reason for that protruding pelvis design? I've seen it in a lot of mech artwork; eastern and western, and as never sure if it served some purpose or whether the boy mech had just seen a lady mech with a nice big set of powerplants :roll:

It's just a weapon housing for more lasers and missiles.
Unreachable.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Ularn wrote:Is there any reason for that protruding pelvis design? I've seen it in a lot of mech artwork; eastern and western, and as never sure if it served some purpose or whether the boy mech had just seen a lady mech with a nice big set of powerplants :roll:

It's just a weapon housing for more lasers and missiles.

Mecha-wang mounted autocannons. Lovely :blush:
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Ularn wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:It's just a weapon housing for more lasers and missiles.

Mecha-wang mounted autocannons. Lovely :blush:

Autocannons are so Bush league. Homing energy weapons are where it's at.
Unreachable.

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh yes, would this count as a mech:

Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
MT FT Embassy

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Saurisisia wrote:Oh yes, would this count as a mech:

More like armoured cavalry or maybe horsedino-drawn artillery :P
Last edited by Ularn on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Ruskarkand
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskarkand » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Ularn wrote:
Ruskarkand wrote:Anti-Pagestretch

Nifty, but a couple of things:

Your speed estimates look unreasonably high - especially for the two without jump jets; Tanks can barely make 60 miles per hour; mechs won't come close on legs unless they're flying on jets for most of the way. Also, they ought to be heavier. Your average Main Battle Tank weighs around 60 tons; a mech is going to be considerably more, as in 250+ tons for the Atlas. My Heinlein Mini mech's going to be around 40 tons and it's only a fraction of the size of those.

For starters, Kilometers per hour =/= Miles per hour. 60 Miles per hour is roughly 96 Kilometers per Hour, the only Mech that can match that speed is a light mech, the Raven. The biggest one, the Atlas, traverses at 54 Kilometers per hour, which is 33 miles per hour.
The smallest mech listed, the THOR, goes at 53 miles per hour.
Also; note, Battletech Mechs were not designed to maintain those speeds 24/7, it's rather the fastest speed that the joints can achieve. That doesn't relatively mean it's going to hit that speed and maintain it.

Now, as for the weight; that's where I start getting confused. These stats were taken from the Battletech equivalents of the mechs, but I modified them slightly. The weight was the part where I raised an eyebrow, I decided it would be best to leave them on the part of believing that the designers of battletech knew what they were doing. I will probably modify these to be more realistic; but only for some mechs. Got any suggestions for the weight? I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction if I am going to redo the weight statistics.

I just wish I could get a wider variety in, the famed Timberwolf/Madcat of Battletech has had it's design taken by someone on NS (Fare thee well, oh first Omni-Mech of thine Clan.), as well as the Uziel (Less concerned about that one though, herpederp mechling). I can only now clutch onto my last favorite battlemech from Mechwarrior, the Raven.

Oh, and this is why I love the Atlas so much, it's just "one of those" Mechs, thought I'd share my thoughts.
Note: That's a Timberwolf (Or a vulture, it's pretty banged up, difficult to tell), getting it's pilot canopy being smashed in by the Atlas' fist.
- Scottish resident of the United Kingdom.
- Appreciator of Dragons and Draconic things.
- Minor FanT. FT.
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Ularn wrote:
Saurisisia wrote:Oh yes, would this count as a mech:

More like armoured cavalry or maybe horsedino-drawn artillery :P

Hm, it seems pretty close to being an actual mech, sort of.
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
MT FT Embassy

Dinosaurs rule!

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Ruskarkand wrote:
Ularn wrote:Nifty, but a couple of things:

For starters, Kilometers per hour =/= Miles per hour. 60 Miles per hour is roughly 96 Kilometers per Hour, the only Mech that can match that speed is a light mech, the Raven. The biggest one, the Atlas, traverses at 54 Kilometers per hour, which is 33 miles per hour.
Also; note, Battletech Mechs were not designed to maintain those speeds 24/7, it's rather the fastest speed that the joints can achieve. That doesn't relatively mean it's going to hit that speed and maintain it.

Now, as for the weight; that's where I start getting confused. These stats were taken from the Battletech equivalents of the mechs, but I modified them slightly. The weight was the part where I raised an eyebrow, I decided it would be best to leave them on the part of believing that the designers of battletech knew what they were doing. I will probably modify these to be more realistic; but only for some mechs. Got any suggestions for the weight? I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction if I am going to redo the weight statistics.

I just wish I could get a wider variety in, the famed Timberwolf/Madcat of Battletech has had it's design taken by someone on NS (Fare thee well, oh first Omni-Mech of thine Clan.), as well as the Uziel (Less concerned about that one though, herpederp mechling). I can only now clutch onto my last favorite battlemech from Mechwarrior, the Raven.

Oh, and this is why I love the Atlas so much, it's just "one of those" Mechs, thought I'd share my thoughts.
Note: That's a Timberwolf (Or a vulture, it's pretty banged up, difficult to tell), getting it's pilot canopy being smashed in by the Atlas' fist.

The whole weight system in btech is almsot entirely made up of figures grasped from the air and hammered into a heavily abstracted set of design rules that make a nice to play tabletop game and translate reaosnably well into computer games.

IIRC there was a bit of stuff in the old FASA books covering the fact that they made up everything simply for conveince and that outside of the btech universe mechs and thier stats would be very different.

Damn you for using the thor. It, the puma, the shadow cat, diashi and vulture are the only clan mechs i've ever been happy to use (a selection that covers most of the mech spread class spread lol).

Anyway Future Crookfur is all about walking trashcans

I.e.

Jagermechs

and Urbies:

The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Ruskarkand wrote:
Ularn wrote:Nifty, but a couple of things:

I'm a moron who did the conversion wrong in my head and thought 54km = ~85mi not the other way round. Can't beleive I didn't double check that one.

As for weights, I don't really remember how tall these things are meant to be but assuming the Atlas is about fifteen metres then, like I said, I think it would be at least 250 tons - perhaps going a high as four-hundred - and the Thor probably being at least a hundred to a hundred and fifty. Hopefully that'll give you an idea

Glad to see the Thor in there by the way. I have a soft spot for it thanks to vague yet pleasant memories of taking down an Atlas in one of those things once on some version of Mechwarrior - just stayed out of range and spammed missiles while bouncing around on the jump jets 8)
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Khandosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khandosia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:43 pm

My FT Factbook|Return of the Lion

"On the contrary; this gentleman is my nemesis, my opposite number, the Holmes to my Moriarty, the blessed image of purity next to be defiled oozing corruption." - Chronosia

Bruniik Feim
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruniik Feim » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Unreachable.

Bruniik Feim