NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:32 am

The Greater Aryan Race wrote:
The Soviet Technocracy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union

Generally something along those lines.

Lol, I was expecting something along those lines but GWO doesn't seem to be going bankrupt.

Freeform RP means you don't have to conform to reality. Although that begs the question as to why you are posting in this thread in the first place.

In reality, when you spend too much money on one thing, others are neglected. In NS, being a text based freeform RP browser game, this isn't so. You can make up whatever you want, and as long as everyone in the thread agrees to RP with you, it's set.

Novraslavia wrote:
What happens if one's military budget is too high?

Oh, it has nothing to do with your budget. It all depends on the percent of your nation's GDP you spend on military expenditures. If the percentage is too high, then you don't have enough of your GDP left to put into other government programs.

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea

Oh please, not even close. Try Eritrea and Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia has basic healthcare and social services.

Dunno about Eritrea. They might be similar to the old communist states, with breadlines for miles and never enough furniture.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

The PeoplesFreedom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The PeoplesFreedom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:34 am

Lol, I was expecting something along those lines but GWO doesn't seem to be going bankrupt.

GWO is hardly the kind of roleplayer you should be aspiring to emulate.
If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

National Information
NS Draftroom[/spoiler]

Automagfreek
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Automagfreek » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 am

The PeoplesFreedom wrote:GWO is hardly the kind of roleplayer you should be aspiring to emulate.

This.
Founded on March 24th, 2003
Proud founder and Lord of Gholgoth
Condemned by Security Council Resolution #82
Join the religion of war. Become a Vanmakti warrior today.

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 am

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:Freeform RP means you don't have to conform to reality. Although that begs the question as to why you are posting in this thread in the first place.

I post to ensure that I maintain a decent level of military realism when RPing so as to ensure I don't get called out by more experienced nations. That being said, I'm still a relative rookie when it comes to waging warfare.

The PeoplesFreedom wrote:GWO is hardly the kind of roleplayer you should be aspiring to emulate.

Noted.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 am

Novraslavia wrote:Oh please, not even close. Try Eritrea and Saudi Arabia.

Dunno about Eritrea. They might be similar to the old communist states, with breadlines for miles and never enough furniture.

Eritrea is far from communist, trust me. They're just a poor-ass country in Africa who spends too much on their military. Also, and I'm not usually one to defend the current state of communism in the world, but considering that one of the most economically stable countries in the world (China) is communist, perhaps it shouldn't be communism that you blame for a nation's poor economical situations (like you did earlier with the Soviet Union and North Korea). Frankly, there are a variety of factors that go into a nation failing economically, as there are plenty of non-communist countries who both spend too much on their military and are neck-high in debt.
Last edited by Novraslavia on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 am

Automagfreek wrote:

This.

Yiouch!

I remember, when I was a wee noob, looking up to AMF there, always afraid he was gonna crash my thread with missions of Freekish soldiers. :P

But this isn't the "Remember when..." NS thread, so I will cease my nostalgia.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 am

Probably because he is wanking.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 am

Novraslavia wrote:

Eritrea is far from communist, trust me. They're just a poor-ass country in Africa who spends too much on their military. Also, and I'm not usually one to defend the current state of communism in the world, but considering that one of the most economically stable countries in the world (China) is communist, perhaps it shouldn't be communism that you blame for a nation's poor economical situations (like you did earlier with the Soviet Union and North Korea). Frankly, there are a variety of factors that go into a nation failing economically, as there are plenty of non-communist countries who both spend too much on their military and are neck-high in debt.

China isn't communist.

They're pragmatist.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 am

Novraslavia wrote:Eritrea is far from communist, trust me. They're just a poor-ass country in Africa who spends too much on their military. Also, and I'm not usually one to defend the current state of communism in the world, but considering that one of the most economically stable countries in the world (China) is communist, perhaps it shouldn't be communism that you blame for a nation's poor economical situations (like you did earlier with the Soviet Union and North Korea). Frankly, there are a variety of factors that go into a nation failing economically, as there are plenty of non-communist countries who both spend too much on their military and are neck-high in debt.

China isn't communist.

They're pragmatist.

Let's not split hairs now. :-P

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 am

The Anglo-Saxon Empire wrote:Probably because he is wanking.

Lolcakes.

But anyways, I shall begin the long (and arduous) road of initiating defence-spending cuts and sizing-down of the military.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am

Novraslavia wrote:Eritrea is far from communist, trust me. They're just a poor-ass country in Africa who spends too much on their military. Also, and I'm not usually one to defend the current state of communism in the world, but considering that one of the most economically stable countries in the world (China) is communist, perhaps it shouldn't be communism that you blame for a nation's poor economical situations (like you did earlier with the Soviet Union and North Korea). Frankly, there are a variety of factors that go into a nation failing economically, as there are plenty of non-communist countries who both spend too much on their military and are neck-high in debt.

China isn't communist.

They're pragmatist.

If China is communist they really suck at it. Letting capitalist entities that are run from capitalist countries open up factories in a communist state so that they can pay very little in salaries goes against every communist ideal last I checked.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

Trivval
Minister

Founded: Sep 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Trivval » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:55 am

Official population: Four Billion
Current military size: Five Million
Current military budget: NS$12'597'574'480'394.8595 (7% of GDP)

Feasible?

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 am

Lubyak wrote:
Super Bwitain wrote:Would it be a good idea to use artillery in a jungle enviroment if i cleared out an area of high ground?

The problems with using artillery in a jungle is mostly that you'll have a hard time spotting targets, and what targets there are will easily be able to hide from you once you start firing.

That and--IIRC--the thick foliage may limit how effective shrapnel will be against even infantry in the open.

This last part is especially true.
Vietnamese jungle could survive Rolling Thunder.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:02 am

Xanixi wrote:
The Kievan People wrote:A solid tungsten rod that size would weigh ~34 tons. But if it has a rocket booster it ain't a solid rod is it? Or, you know, an attachment to the rod. You know...

Tungsten won't survive impact intact at near-orbital speeds, non-negotiable I don't want it to. In fact, I want it to explode. I couldn't care less if it disintegrates. I just need the kinetic energy it picks up. I do not know of any material that will. Rocket boosting it really, really will not help. I need guidance for it. I'm not planning on the costs of getting it up there just to hope it hits where I want it to hit.

It would put on a nice show, vaporize anyone in the immediate vicinity, shake the ground, soil many pants etc. etc. but the actual effects on target won't be anywhere near as impressive as the sheer KE would imply. Throwing metal rods into the ground isn't a great way to destroy anything but bunkers to begin with and it's not even very good at that for reasons discussed. RL it's been realized that a ballistic missile, ideally with a maneuverable RV that can control it's speed, is a far better way of perforating bunker things than space rods from god It's designed, not as bunker busters, but instead, the moment it hits the ground, it exerts the kinetic energy it's picked up, throwing up dirt and everything directly above it.

How do you intend on forcing a 34 tonne tungsten telephone pole to transmit a petajoule of energy rapidly and close to the ground enough to simulate an 'airburst' strike, exactly?
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:11 am

Hedmark wrote:I return, with the topic of nuclear weapons. From what I've read I'm possibly the only person to post here asking if it was realistic to have such.

I was told the unofficial rule for nuclear missiles was that you needed a population of 100,000,000, or have another country help you. I do not have 100,000,000 yet, I have 68,000,000. I was wondering if nuclear bombs would be sensible, because from what I've read the rule applied to missiles. My second largest industry is Uranium mining, it doesn't show anymore because the automobile industry simply dominates now. I was thinking it would be sensible, to have several bombs ranging in the low kiloton range (Around 23), and I work my way from there. My defense budget is 20%, so I am really sure I have the funds to research this.

England has a population of only 30-something million in the early postwar years IIRC. And we have had a nuclear arsenal since the late 1940s.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Dolmart
Attaché

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolmart » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Hedmark wrote:I return, with the topic of nuclear weapons. From what I've read I'm possibly the only person to post here asking if it was realistic to have such.

I was told the unofficial rule for nuclear missiles was that you needed a population of 100,000,000, or have another country help you. I do not have 100,000,000 yet, I have 68,000,000. I was wondering if nuclear bombs would be sensible, because from what I've read the rule applied to missiles. My second largest industry is Uranium mining, it doesn't show anymore because the automobile industry simply dominates now. I was thinking it would be sensible, to have several bombs ranging in the low kiloton range (Around 23), and I work my way from there. My defense budget is 20%, so I am really sure I have the funds to research this.

England has a population of only 30-something million in the early postwar years IIRC. And we have had a nuclear arsenal since the late 1940s.

Canada was and still is classified as a nation that can build nuclear weapons in the blink of an eye, and Canada only has 33 million people today and would probably have some logistics problems.

Halgrond
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:35 am

Halgrond wrote:Is there any guide to building your military?
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147965
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer?

Dolmart
Attaché

Founded: Jun 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolmart » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:44 am

Halgrond wrote:
Halgrond wrote:Is there any guide to building your military?

I second this...

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Dolmart wrote:
Halgrond wrote:

I second this...

I third this? I don't know, a guide to building a military would be nice
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:05 pm

The only 'guide' so far as I'm aware is to look at RL militaries you imagine your nation having parallels with, combining the features and then posting on here for crits.
But it only works for MT.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Trivval wrote:Official population: Four Billion
Current military size: Five Million
Current military budget: NS$12'597'574'480'394.8595 (7% of GDP)

Feasible?

It's sustainable if you don't have any kind of welfare system.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Dolmart wrote:
I second this...

I third this? I don't know, a guide to building a military would be nice

If anything, the best way to start would be to look at RL militaries on wikipedia, and start doing your own research as to what type of military you want.

It also depends on how you want to play your nation. Are you a land power, or a sea power? Are you a rich First World nation, or a poor industrializing one? Is your nation interested in projecting power across oceans, or are you interested in just protecting your own borders?

It all depends. My best response would be to decide what kind of nation you are first. That's potentially the most important part of building a military: what kind of nation is the military built upon?

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Lubyak wrote:
Xanixi wrote:
So what happens when I shoot down that satellite Well, uh, you destroy the mechanism? Though it'd be hard, considering the satellite was made to deal with threats like that.

And SAMs are meant to take down aircraft, but Wild Weasel missions have been relatively succesful at taking them down, no?

An F-15 can be equiped with an ASAT missile, multiple IIRC.
I doubt your satalites have anti-missile equipment on them.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Dolmart wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:England has a population of only 30-something million in the early postwar years IIRC. And we have had a nuclear arsenal since the late 1940s.

Canada was and still is classified as a nation that can build nuclear weapons in the blink of an eye, and Canada only has 33 million people today and would probably have some logistics problems.

And the only nukes we have were de-activated a LONG time ago.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Lubyak wrote:
The problems with using artillery in a jungle is mostly that you'll have a hard time spotting targets, and what targets there are will easily be able to hide from you once you start firing.

That and--IIRC--the thick foliage may limit how effective shrapnel will be against even infantry in the open.

This last part is especially true.
Vietnamese jungle could survive Rolling Thunder.

MOAB is the way to go.
Unreachable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information