NATION

PASSWORD

Economic Liberalisation Index

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

World Finance
Secretary

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby World Finance » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Updated with the results of six nations.

Swindenland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Swindenland » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal):
NationStats says 178,400 €/person. Note that we use Euros. (more realistically around 60 000 to 90 000$/person)

Government expenditure as percentage of GDP:
30%

Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises:
NationStats says 0.7%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?:
The central bank is independent and a part of the Eurozone and yes, however, interest rates are allowed to liberally fluctuate as long as they are stable.

Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?:
No, none of these businesses are owned by the state. Private establishments are of course permitted.

Does the state set price controls for certain goods?:
None, we let the market to set prices.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?:
These are very moderate, usually companies and communities negotitate environmental standards.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?:
Labour unions, the government and companies negotiate labour standards - there is no nationally mandated minimum wage law, but we do have some moderate safety standards.
Also note, that the government actively encourages the creation of smaller or cooperative businesses to improve the workplace.

What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Only for those where the safety of another human being is in question (e.g. pilots, controllers, police officers, doctors, inspectors etc.). Vocational licensing laws are pretty moderate to weak and they are easy to obtain, however faking is punishable.

What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal):
Not nationally mandated, but negotiated between business, government and labour unions or set by cooperatives
The thenth lowest quantille earns 10$/hour, which could be considered as the minimum wage. Two states mandate at least 8$/hour.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?:
None, except for internationally sanctioned states (between 10 and 100%) and for agricultural products (50%)
Last edited by Swindenland on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmicium
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmicium » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:09 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): NS$47,100
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 24.5%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 22%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: Yes.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: Yes, and private banks are illegal.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: Yes, for food and other important goods.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Despite a significant loosening by the 2031 Industrial Reform Law, they remain quite tight.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Very strict.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Professions generally considered to put people at risk requite a vocational license. The licensing laws are usually very strict.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): NS$12.50

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 8.7%
I now mainly only use this account to occasionally post on the land of lost brains known as NS General.
The Cosmician Commune | De Communà Cosmicianà
We do NOT use NS stats.
The Cosmician Times 03/22/2035: More news will come... SoonTM
Yes, this nation represents my views. Deal with it. | My 8values results

Swiabar
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Swiabar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): 587 U.S Dollars
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 48.5%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 30.4%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: Yes
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: Yes. Private establishments are punishable by immediate execution.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: Price of all goods set by the state.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Any pollution is punishable by immediate execution.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Slaves may be killed and abused at the state's pleasure.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Any profession other than slave is punishable by death.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): 0 dollars

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 100%

Vistora
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am

(AT Novaluna)

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $1.035 trillion
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 22%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 0%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: Yes, our independent central monetary authority has the ability to set interest rates.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: All commercial banks and financial service companies are private entities
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: No

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Environmental regulation is accomplished by a relatively strict environmental tax levied on all activities, commercial and otherwise, on a cost-calculated basis.
Worth mentioning is that consumer protection laws and regulations are very sparse and primarily cover information disclosure.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Very loose. There are no laws regulating hiring and firing and a small number of flexible ones governing worker protection.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: There are no professional licensing laws.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): There is no mandated minimum wage.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: We do not impose tariffs, and furthermore have negotiated free-trade areas dismantling non-tariff barriers with virtually all of our trading partners.

Rule of law and property rights are strong, well-defined, and unambiguous. Antitrust laws and actions are generally lenient. Patent and IP laws are clear, but favor permissibility.
Last edited by Vistora on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

The Queen is Fauzjhia is dishearten by what seem to be, the impressive lack of values and lack of reality this index seem to represent. leaving people with the idea that Marnady represent a state where it is fun to live or to even do business in. In Marnady, Open a private business is not allowed, the official say there is no rules, but in reality, the evil (government) in place will just arrest you and condemn you to an execution, along with all your associates, in Marnady, you etheir obey the laws of the Evil One or you die, there is no freedom. You need his permission to engage even 1 worker, you also need his permission to sell any marchandise. And even if you respect the laws, the government is known to summerly execute people for no reason at all. and such a state is deemed to be the most free

Despite its restrictive laws, it is much for business to exist in Fauzjhia then Marnady, Several values prove value proves it.
IF anything, Marnady should be noted as an extremely regulated and tighly controlled economie

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): 560 694 NS dollars per capita... or 280 164 Fauzjhiau per capita. The Fauzjhiau value is hIgh, around 1.8150 NS for 1 fauzjhiau And Fauzjhia is a rich Nation.
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 64,2%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: actually, it should 64,2% since, everything is controlled by the government
The entire Fauzjhian Economy is driven by the government, although, as more project develop, state-owned entreprises become a more important part of the economy.

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: This is controlled by the Bank of Fauzjhia, along with severals other banks players a part in the decisions, like the Vampire Bank or the Evil Bank. All theses banks are state-owned entreprises.... In Marnady, to land money is illegal, the Evil One control the only legal bank and its interest rate are at least 30%, and they can be be extremely variable for no reason at all, if you are accepted by the government. All business allowed in Marnady crumbled under high debts, who will never be repaid
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: Private enterprises is not permitted in Fauzjhia, you work with the government or you don't work at all. In Marnady, all must sumbit to the Evil One or be executed, least to say, Marnady does not tolerate free entreprise at all.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: Yes, product which are deemed necessity are subject to a maximum price to ensure they stay affordable and some products, like books, are subject to a price control, to prevent the big business from stamping out the small in a global competition. In Marnady, if the Evil One decides to control a price, he'll do it and any dissenders are executed. and all products can be the subject of price controls, hoverer the prices controls are not justified by any reason at all, except pure evil

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: if your product is environmentaly irresponsable, it will be not be allowed. And working with government is an obligation, so minimising your impact your business will have on the environment is also an obligation. Fortunaly, the state is very open on the nature of the projects that can be proposed to the population, we'll regulated to the maximum, true, but we do not forbid them all for the pleasure of it

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: These are extremely strick. they prevent business from firing workers for anyelse then severe misconduit or gross incompetence and such allegation are always judge by a tribunal, they force business to negaociate every working condition with the union and they workers the right to protest their working conditions. In Marnady, Workers are enslaved, they do not have any rights at all.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: they are strict, you need the right qualification and to follow the right course if you want to become a doctor. no one can improve themselves in a vocation that require a licenses, you must earn it. Fortunaly, the course required to obtained it are open to all. you just need to follow it. if you can't earn your license, you don't deserve your vocation.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): its 1around 13 Fauzjhiau per hours, which translate to 23 nationstates dollars. In Marnady, workers are enslaved.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: Fauzjhia does not impose tariffs rate on goods. goods who are legal in Fauzjhia can be be important and good who are not legal here can't be important, in Marnady, importing good is impossible as immigration and Emmigration are subject to a ridiculous ban. Anyone who would import a good from a foreign country would be execute as an illegal immigrant.

In fact, pretty much all nations are more friendly to business then Marnady, yet Marnady rank as one of the more free state possible.

EDIT : If I would the more appropriate words to define Marnady, maybe it would be classified as extremely regulated economy, when posting as Marnady, I role-play as the nation's evil government. who seem to exist only to be evil. such a government believe himself to be the most free state in the world, and to be only one (real) libertarian state. So Of course, Marnady's answer are not more then the government own view of their insane regulations. In truth, doing business in Marnady is totally impossible. And you can see in policies that Slavery is legal, Emmigration is banned and immigration is also banned.
Last edited by Fauzjhia on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:40 am

Yeah... I second the above. I find the methodology here highly suspect (and too opaque). Best I can figure, it places disproportionate weight on tax burden irrespective of its nature, ignores a number of important metrics, and fails to adequately define what constitutes economic liberalisation in ambiguous instances.

Full disclosure, I find myself incidentally misrepresenting my nation's stats to game the system and achieve the desired category.

Do I have to pull Macabees in here for some tough learnin'? :p
Last edited by Vistora on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Second Empire of America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Empire of America » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 pm

I also think the methodology is too opaque, and would like to see how this index works, even if only to make sure my negative average tariff rate didn't break anything.
I have left NationStates. This account is inactive and will not respond to any form of communication.

World Finance
Secretary

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby World Finance » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Marnady is a unique case.
Let me be clear on definitions here. This index measure the role of the state in the economy, specifically, nothing more and nothing less. It is not an ease of doing business index (Marnady no doubt would fall very low on that).

Marnady has no state to speak of, so the sum total of all of all of the regulations (of which there are none) of Marnady's state (which is non-existent) is... precisely zero, hence a score of precisely one. However, one could argue that the Evil Corporation is a de-facto state itself. In this case I have provided a de facto figure in the results above if we take this assumption. Although below average, this result is still fairly high, due to a lack of regulation upon the actions of the Evil Corporation itself. But then we are creating a strange paradox where we're measuring how much the Evil Corporation is regulating itself. Although I find there really is no other way to do it in the context of what this index is measuring.
Second Empire of America wrote:I also think the methodology is too opaque, and would like to see how this index works, even if only to make sure my negative average tariff rate didn't break anything.

Negative values are counted as 0, as the formula wasn't made to account for the possibility of a negative tariff rate.
Vistora wrote:Full disclosure, I find myself incidentally misrepresenting my nation's stats to game the system and achieve the desired category.

Another limitation is that the formula can't detect lies. :p

That all said, results are updated.
Last edited by World Finance on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:28 pm

World Finance wrote:Marnady is a unique case.
Let me be clear on definitions here. This index measure the role of the state in the economy, specifically, nothing more and nothing less. It is not an ease of doing business index (Marnady no doubt would fall very low on that).

Marnady has no state to speak of, so the sum total of all of all of the regulations (of which there are none) of Marnady's state (which is non-existent) is... precisely zero, hence a score of precisely one. However, one could argue that the Evil Corporation is a de-facto state itself. In this case I have provided a de facto figure in the results above if we take this assumption. Although below average, this result is still fairly high, due to a lack of regulation upon the actions of the Evil Corporation itself. But then we are creating a strange paradox where we're measuring how much the Evil Corporation is regulating itself. Although I find there really is no other way to do it in the context of what this index is measuring.
Second Empire of America wrote:I also think the methodology is too opaque, and would like to see how this index works, even if only to make sure my negative average tariff rate didn't break anything.

Negative values are counted as 0, as the formula wasn't made to account for the possibility of a negative tariff rate.
Vistora wrote:Full disclosure, I find myself incidentally misrepresenting my nation's stats to game the system and achieve the desired category.

Another limitation is that the formula can't detect lies. :p

That all said, results are updated.

Fair enough, and that helps to clarify a number of things.

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm

actually, if you look at the state in terms in regulations. the logic given here is correct.
SO, yeah, Marnady does not impose any regulation on the work force or on a minimum wage, they impose slavery. saying the slave are contractors who knew what the signed for
Marnady does impose any regulation on the environment, none at all. Pollute all you want, we don't care
Marnady is more like a organised mafia. The Evil corporation impose rules, and it is not regulated. nor does Marnady subtain any international relations at all.

Still, the fact remain that it easier for any business to start in Fauzjhia then in Anarchies or in Marnady

Edit : actually, the more I think about it, the more we can consider Marnady to be an actual Anarchy, for exemple. Marnady got a Black Market, and they don,t really care it about it, for it
but the post I made with Fauzjhia alsdo reflect the Fauzjhian view on Index and on the fact that Marnady got a 1.
Last edited by Fauzjhia on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Blustan
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 23, 2016
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Blustan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:13 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $127,755.80
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 44%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 9.5%

Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: There are some banks owned by the state, yet most banks and FSCs are private.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Legislation is quite strict when it comes to air- and water pollution.
How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Unions have a strong influence on policy.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Only for those where the safety of another human being is in question.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): $12

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 5%

Alinghi Federal-Democratic Republic
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Alinghi Federal-Democratic Republic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:39 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $ 47 653.75 (z. 11 147.19 on 03.06.2073* exange rate $ 1.00 = z. 0.2339 ). Total GDP: $ 4 848 515 300 582.40 (z. 1 134 182 216 683.80)
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 17.2%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 0% (this rate is considered all companies detined completely by the state, but officially the cnatonal and confederal government have shares in some companies expeciallyin the energetic, financial-banking entreprirses, in some cases detain te absolute/relative mayority)

Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: Exist public banks, private are strightly regulated.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: No, but the state/canton own some services to offer to citizens services for free (ex. healthcare, university, etc...)

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Every canton have a own regulamentation, (from 5.5/10 to 9/10)

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Every canton have a own regulamentation. All canton mandate a max working hour/week from 36 hours to 44 hours (depends from canton ) all hour worked by the worker above the hours established by cotract is considered an extraordinary hour that must payed more whan a normal worked hour (but all cantonal law set a max of extraordinary hout what a worker can do)
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Is a cantonal issue
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): Is a cantonal issue, but all canton set a minimum wage that amount depends from canton from z. 3.00/h ($ 12.85) to z. 4.25/h ($ 18.15).

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 5%. Higher if the other countries set a punitive tarrifs to Alingan goods.

*every month in real = 1 year in gameplay, dd.mm.aaaa system
Last edited by Alinghi Federal-Democratic Republic on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
[color=color=#00BF00] Democracy, social equity, switzerland, Democratic Socialism, EU (had some problems, but this not mean that it's unfixable), UN, Federalism, same sex marriage and Schengen , Ferderal non-ethinc based Palestine or in alternative two-states solution, Civic Nationalism on eventual European Federation (or Euro-civic-nationalism), Interculturalism(is a bit different whan MultiCulturalism)[/color]
Dictatorship, Fascism, Communism, Racism, Putin's Russia, Meloni, religion (as organized structures), Trump, Erdogan , British Gov., Netanyahu, Orban, Etno-Nationalism, Clericalism.
The tax rate is the half of NS index, pop. is different

I'm gay - I have Asperger Syndrome
I support
UKRAINE Peace, not a second München 38

Marcianus
Envoy

Founded: Aug 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcianus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:58 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): It's rapidly growing, but right now, it's 143,801 Esens. Also, one Esen equals 100,000,000$, in case you needed to know.
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 27.1.
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: There is no state-owned enterprises.

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: No. That is the job for the economy and the citizens to fix.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: No. They are all private, but can be funded by the government.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: Nope. We let the Free-Market prosper, although there are rules that healthy food, like vegetables, should cost less than other types of food.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Pretty weak. Environmental regulations are very rare, although they are the most common regulations on industries.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Extremely weak.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: There are no such thing. The only thing asked of workers is that they are good at their jobs.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): The minimum is 5 Esens an hour. Minimum wages hurt the economy, but workers do need money.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 0.3%. Marcianus is a very capitalist nation, and its citizens love the Free-Market, and really hate tariffs as they hurt the economy.
The Year is 3591.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClMNARjL6d8PYGEz1fKJhEA
I have fallen to the dark side when it has come to NStats. I hate them like I hate sand! They're course, rough, irritating, and they get everywhere!!!!
Pro= Socialism, Women and Mens rights, LGBTQ, Environmentalism, Equal Rights, Populism, Vegetarianism, Anarchism, etc.
Anti= Communism, Capitalism, Money, The Media, Politics, Political Parties, War, Government, etc.
NOTE: When you go to read my factbooks, open the "dispatches" section, not the "factbooks" section. All of the factbooks will be in there.

Free American Empire-
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free American Empire- » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:04 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $80.28 trillion
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 59%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: Almost 100%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?:Yes, as it believes, that market is too unpredictable.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?:Yeah, all of them are.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?:Of course it does, for all of them.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?:Well, there are usually surprisingly strict regulations, but as those industries are usually dominated by only one company, and it is a state's company, it often loosens the regulations, so it could earn more.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?:There are government managed labor unions, and there are quite a few regulations on working conditions, but just as most of the companies are state companies, and have mega-monopolies, sometimes working condition laws are loosened, and labor unions can't really do anything about it, as they are state managed, after all.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Most, if not all professions require a licence. And laws are strict, very strict. However, there also is a large amount of corruption, so those laws can potentially be bypassed.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): 2$, but it can differ, depending from the situation.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?:Well, as Commonwealth is basically a world government now, has no other country to import from in the first place, and produces all goods for itself, there are no tariffs. However, before that, tariff was 30%, or even 50%, depending on the good.
I have moved this nation to the Silver Commonwealth, just like Frievolk did with Asmundia, as too many people seemed to confuse the old name with new one.

Osweya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Osweya » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): £19,200
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 44%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 36%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: No, the government controls the interest rate through the Monetary Ministry
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: No, the state doesn't own any banks except the central bank. The King is a major private shareholder (through his Royal Investment Fund) of the Royal Bank of Osweya, one of our "Big Five" largest banks, among many other businesses in his portfolio.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: No. The local governments of all three Communes (cities) in Osweya have all set rent controls however.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: The central government sets only minor regulations, pertaining to basic minimum standards and pollution taxes. Local governments are free to place greater restrictions and regulations on industries if they wish.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Fairly minimal; there is a national minimum wage of £685 per month and minor list of basic minimum standards. Again, local governments are free to set their own labour regulations to suit their own needs, as indeed they all do.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: All of the trades (plumbing, construction, etc), and professional-class jobs. Essentially all 'skilled' jobs require a state-issued permit of some kind.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): It works out to around £3.95 per hour for a full-time working week (40 hours). There is pressure on employers to offer full-time employment rather than part time, due to the monthly nature of the minimum wage. 40 hours per week is the longest that a person earning minimum wage may work.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: Around 50%
Last edited by Osweya on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Ling
Envoy

Founded: Dec 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mon Ling » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $243 thousand
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 6%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 94%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: No
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: No, they are not owned by the state

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Quite strict

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Not strict at all, except for employed minors
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Only professions that are part of government programs, especially doctors employed by the state, and the laws are average-strict
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): It depends on the region

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 0%
Mon Ling is a capitalist constitutional monarchy located in Asia and ruled by Empress Anastasia. Low taxes, an insane crime rate (very unintentionally), and generally libertarian social attitudes. Goes by NationStates stats, except for population, which is around 16 million.

Poltical Compass (and other quiz results)
Profile Page Female | 19 years old | Atheist | Lesbian | INTJ/INFJ | Virgo

Long live the power of cuteness! ♥
I understand English and Japanese.
Libertarianism: Because forcing people to do things against their will is mean! >.< Oppose government meanness~!

Second Empire of America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Empire of America » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Will you be updating this? Also, I'd really like to see the updated World Democracy Index and hopefully a World Civil Rights index. (I also updated my WDI entry to note that my nation has no age restrictions on voting, only an education requirement.)
I have left NationStates. This account is inactive and will not respond to any form of communication.

Erystan
Secretary

Founded: Aug 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Erystan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:12 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $21.8k
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 38.4%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 0%

Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: All industries are state-owned or workers-run with state regulation.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: Yes.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Very strong.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Very strong.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Professions deemed to require "skilled" labor (e.g. doctors) do and laws are very strict regarding these professions.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): $12

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: No tariff for socialistic states, usually over 20% for capitalist states
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF ERYSTAN
This nation mostly represents my views.

Pro: Democratic socialism, secularism, libertarian socialism, left-libertarianism, anarchism, LGBTQ rights, feminism, pacifism, open borders, universal suffrage, free love, environmentalism, pirate politics, direct democracy, Rojava
Neutral: Social democracy, Sanders, EU, independence movements, Cuba
Con: Economic liberalism, Third Way liberalism, capitalism, conservatism, fascism, ultranationalism, alt-right, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, organized religion, Democratic Party, Republican Party, Clinton, Trump, Macron, Putin, FPTP, Electoral College

Democraticong Filipinas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Democraticong Filipinas » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $6,192.65
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 26%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 62.8%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: In most cases no.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: Most of them, but by obtaining a (partly powerless) corporate operation license will a private establishment be permitted.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: No, but the state instead places a quarterly SRP per quality of product by category. Stores and/or retailers are encouraged to set product prices by at least a +/-4% difference from the approximatesuggested price.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Moderately strict. Industries that have relevant expected impact to the environment are required to reach national evironmental standards by law; examples of industries included are mining/fuel extraction, woodworks, waste processing, and electricity services.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Not much loose. Every workplace is expected to reach close to or exactly 0.7 points in the state-conducted Labor Comfort Index, although it isn't necessarily applied to every sector.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Professions that require broad field knowledge and skills, like medical occupations, require such vocational licenses.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): $10-14, but each state may implement their own minimum wage.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: Goods from economically-allied nations have no imposed tariff on every product, although this is not always guaranteed, meanwhile goods from nations within concern of outputting questionable exports into the country (according to Trade Dept. statistics) have at least a 0.5-1.6% tariff imposition.
The United Communes of Democratic Philippines
"Kalayaan, Kapantayan, Kapatiran"
AnthemInternationaleFactbook (WIP)
A post-3rd world commune risen from ruins of its former slums, stagnant economic growth and heavy political imparity which stained its reputation as what once was the 'Pearl of the Orient'.
Pro: Socialism, anarcho-communism, Palestine, LGBT support, separation of church and state, religious freedom, dictatorship
Anti: Duterteic nationalism, Canadian laissez-faire capitalism, political Catholic Church, Dengism, China, UNHRC, Erdogan

NShtats not used.
HEADLINES: INC takes world record for largest simultaneous humanitarian aid | Rescue operations continue throughout Manila after earthquake | Malacanang lifts sanctions on the DPRK in protest against WA

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $51,000
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 15%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 7%, >99% of which are SWFs

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: Yes, as part of NGDP target
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: No, however the state maintains three large sovereign wealth funds: the Pension, Hospital, and Revenue Funds.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Few statutes exist. Conversely, a robust body of case law exists for resolving environmental torts, much of which is recognized as engineered by the state.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Few statutes exist beyond those preventing outright abuse and enslavement. Regulations and wages are set on a firm-by-firm basis by collective negotiation.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Barristers and judges are in the employ of the state. Parts of the medical field (mainly dealing with trauma care) have licensing requirements at the behest of the army.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): No minimum wage by statute, however few people take work for anything below ~$10/hr.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: Effectively zero. Extant tariffs are often counterbalanced by import subsidies
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

The English Regions
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 13, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The English Regions » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:03 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): NS$ 293,000
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 41.7%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 1.2%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: No, not since 2016.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: Yes, but they make up no more than 20% of the sector. Yes they are permitted.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?:
Not directly, however it does set special rates of sale tax.
How strict are environmental regulations on industries?:
Quite strict but usually signed agreements take place between industry and the ministry of environment.
How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?:
Quite strict in certain heavy industries, but in most sectors quite relaxed with minimum standards.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?:
Most government professions and those involving public safety. Not very strict in general, especially for private sector.
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal):
We have no minimum wage, we usually have signed agreements between unions/worker federations and the employer.
What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: There is none between most nations, however we do have reciprocal tariffs with certain nations, yet rates are rarely higher than 10%.

Frievolk
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:21 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): 70,246.3 Ƒ (Guelders), equivalent to 91,320.19 NSD
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 18% of the annual GDP
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 3%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: No
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: The only bank owned by the state is the one that prints and mints money.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: Only in very certain situations and for certain goods (such as for necessities in a catastrophe)

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Very very strict. We adhere to international treaties on this select case (and follow them to a T)

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Generally strict. Unions are allowed, the employers are obliged to provide healthcare, welfare, etc. for their workers (and will be persecuted if they don't)
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: All jobs require vocational licenses, but not necessarily state-issued, though state-issued licences are trusted internationally. Vocational licensing law isn't too strict, however
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): As of August 2018, 15.38Ƒ (=20 NSD) is the average minimum hourly wage, and average fulltime job takes 36 hours a month, which makes 553.68Ƒ or 719.784 NSD per month.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: 0.75% to 1.25% average.
OOC
Libertarian Constitutionalist
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
♔ The Frievolker Empire || Frievolker Kaiserreik
♔ The Realm in the Sun || De Reik in de Sonne
♔ Led by Kaiser Johann, Part of the Erstwelt
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Sadakoyama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sadakoyama » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:57 am

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): V187 402
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: 31.2%

Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: 9.6%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: N/A

Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: We don't have commercial banking of any kind; what lending is done is handled by the karass between themselves.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Draconian

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Health and safety is regulated. Otherwise the majority of people wither work for their karass or the government directly.

What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: Most health workers, infrastructure engineers and mechanics, nuclear techs. In those areas, pretty strict.

What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): N/A

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: Negligible and irrelevant; smuggling is a team sport in our country, both ways. We supply many or our neighbors with a wide variety of goods that their own governments frown upon.
Sadakoyama - Foul-mouthed mad scientists create a University in a disease-ridden jungle of death!
We're not Communist and we love noodles.

Workers SFSR
Attaché

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Workers SFSR » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Gross domestic product per capita (nominal): $48,000
Government expenditure as percentage of GDP: Roughly 50%
Percentage of GDP minus government expenditure attributed to state-owned enterprises: Roughly 50%

Does the reserve bank control interest rates?: Inapplicable. There is no currency.
Are commercial banks and financial services companies owned by the state, and if so are private establishments permitted?: No commercial banks and financial services exist.
Does the state set price controls for certain goods?: It sets price controls for all goods based on labor time involved in production of each good.

How strict are environmental regulations on industries?: Moderate to high, but enforced instantly with impunity.

How strict are labour regulations on working conditions?: Extremely strict.
What types of professions require a state-issued vocational license? How strict are vocational licensing laws?: N/A
What is the minimum hourly wage? (nominal): N/A. Laborers receive labor vouchers representing hours worked.

What is the mean weighted tariff rate on imported goods?: Foreign trade is minor, and exact terms vary from trade partner to trade partner

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information