NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
EternalNight
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 400
Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby EternalNight » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:17 am

L3 Communications wrote:At least I now know where this came from, CC:

Image

Or is this some kind of sick coincidence? On a different note, who uses mechs as tank replacements, which is silly because mechs are slower than tanks and bigger and can't carry as much armour and guns.


We have man-sized powered armor units, but for armored vehicles we use contra-gravitic tanks and APC's. Much higher maneuverability then any mech could ever have.
You think when you die you go to Heaven or Hell...
You come to US!


Hallowed are the First Triune

ΜΘΓ

User avatar
Solar Communes
Diplomat
 
Posts: 719
Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Solar Communes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:48 am

An organization that has as its flagship a Von Neumann toroid-shaped spacecraft with 1km of diameter armed with either a spinal Gamma Ray Laser built with Boson-Einstein condensate lenses that can destroy big things at light seconds away or with a spinal gigantic missile with a Large Hardon Collider inside it(ZOMG Einstein Rolls over Grave dis iz unrealiztic Black Hole weapons) that can exterminate clichéfleets that are positioned like if they were 1800s ships in an ocean rather than spacecrafts in space, and where such spacecraft is painted as Longcat, isn't to be taken seriously.

Because the PN/b/ has the most powerful "fleet" in Solar Communes, as of now.

Followed by the PAF, by Vitriol "We trade furries for humans with Mekanta. And proud of it" INC and then by the "official" Solarian Defense Contract.

Obviously, they are not very easily put to work together.

Nor some of them are actually trained for war, only "trained" for the LULZ.
Last edited by Solar Communes on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ж
Space Anarchist Miscegenated Black&White Viking Vampire Shapeshifting Pirates in Space.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, North Point, Varejao, Ulanpataar, Sharfghotten, Franberry, Tyrandis, Rosbaningrad, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania: All unjustly deleted. 09/27 Nevar Forget.
Abandon Humanity, one step at a time | Suffer not the Yiffster. Join ANTIFA: The Anti-furry Alliance
Solar Communes Wiki | World of Dustpeople(Species Factbook) | Documentary on Solarian Diplomacy with Aliens
Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

User avatar
Otagia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1168
Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Otagia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:26 am

Nor some of them are actually trained for war, only "trained" for the LULZ.

"We trained him wrong. As a joke!"

"I am bleeding! Thus, I am the winner!"

User avatar
Feazanthia
Minister
 
Posts: 2286
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 am

How about 'my nuts to your fist style'?
I am a Roleplay Mentor. I specialize in Future Tech, but you may ask me about anything.
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
[size=85]The Local Cluster - an FT Region| FT Advice & Assistance Thread | The Compendium | FT Thread Repository | NSBalls Subreddit

Want to be a part of the FT community? Join #NSLegion and #NSFT on irc.esper.net

User avatar
Otagia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1168
Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Otagia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:31 am

On some planet, I am sure your style is very effective. However, it has one fatal flaw: THIS IS EARTH.

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:24 am

L3 Communications wrote:At least I now know where this came from, CC:

Image

Or is this some kind of sick coincidence? On a different note, who uses mechs as tank replacements, which is silly because mechs are slower than tanks and bigger and can't carry as much armour and guns.

I just haven't found use for ground units much at all, my gunships are armored enough to play an urban role.

But, back in the days of the OLD Capsule Corp (about... 4 years ago?) I used what I called SkaterMecha... they run on the Robotech Idea that if you put engines in the 'feet' of the mecha, and engines in a backpack, then it can hover and fly around the battlefield... making it far more mobile than a tank

Old Me wrote:Mecha

The Following 2 Mecha are also known as "Skatermecha" after their characteristic hovering abilities:


Legolas Class Battlemecha
Image


This is a 1 or 2 person mecha, capable of walking, skating, jumping, or maneuevering slowly in space (though it can not re-enter the atmosphere by itself).

It has 2 Arms with limited-use hands, 1 Plasma-Bolt Cannon, 3 Gauss Rifle (2 Medium, 1 heavy), and 2 Farad Beam Cannons. The right arm also comes with basically a giant swiss army knife, with all sorts of little tools, including a cutting LASER.

An engine cluster on each foot, and on the back of the pod, in combination with the mechanical motors for the moving parts, all powered by a chlorophusion powerplant, give the Legolas the following speeds:
Walking speed is up to 160 km/h, Skating Speed (hovering with foot thrusters, propelled by rear thrusters) is close to 600 km/h, and can jump up to 100m. Vernier thrusters allow it to maneuver slowly in zero-gravity.

Height: 7.5m
Armor: Medium, LASER Resistant
Total Weight: 25 tons

Price: 35 million


Samson Class Battlemecha
Image

a 1-man mecha with the same speed stats as the Legolas, but armament is 1 Heavy Gauss Rifle, 1 Farad Beam Cannons, 2 20mm automatic cannons, and 2 fully functional arms with hands which can hold almost any mecha weapon. The right arm also comes with basically a giant swiss army knife, with all sorts of little tools, including a cutting LASER.

Height: 8m
Armor: Medium, LASER Resistant
Total Weight: 23 tons

Price: 25 million



I don't use these anymore, but they sure were fun! ^_^
Last edited by Capsule Corporation on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Feazanthia
Minister
 
Posts: 2286
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:27 am

Legged mecha will always, ALWAYS be inferior to tanks.

I draw your attention to the thread of NSDraftroom, which lays it out no uncertain terms.
http://z4.invisionfree.com/NSDraftroom/ ... topic=5347

Power armor: Good
Tanks: Good
Mecha: Lolwut


By the way: You can paint your ships whatever way you want. It will make no difference. If someone's close enough to see your paint job, they're either friendly or really really screwed.

So yeah. Battleships painted as Longcat are just win.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Roleplay Mentor. I specialize in Future Tech, but you may ask me about anything.
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
[size=85]The Local Cluster - an FT Region| FT Advice & Assistance Thread | The Compendium | FT Thread Repository | NSBalls Subreddit

Want to be a part of the FT community? Join #NSLegion and #NSFT on irc.esper.net

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Feazanthia wrote:By the way: You can paint your ships whatever way you want. It will make no difference. If someone's close enough to see your paint job, they're either friendly or really really screwed.

So yeah. Battleships painted as Longcat are just win.

Says you... we're more than capable of getting up close and personal even on friendly encounters... Our rule is "why probe, when you can shake hands?" :)

User avatar
Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 358
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Trailers » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 pm

I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING SAID THUSFAR
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

User avatar
L3 Communications
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5150
Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby L3 Communications » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Capsule Corporation wrote:
L3 Communications wrote:At least I now know where this came from, CC:

Image

Or is this some kind of sick coincidence? On a different note, who uses mechs as tank replacements, which is silly because mechs are slower than tanks and bigger and can't carry as much armour and guns.

I just haven't found use for ground units much at all, my gunships are armored enough to play an urban role.

But, back in the days of the OLD Capsule Corp (about... 4 years ago?) I used what I called SkaterMecha... they run on the Robotech Idea that if you put engines in the 'feet' of the mecha, and engines in a backpack, then it can hover and fly around the battlefield... making it far more mobile than a tank

-snip-

I don't use these anymore, but they sure were fun! ^_^


Image

Real men use Glitter Boys.
Last edited by L3 Communications on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Trailers wrote:I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING SAID THUSFAR

That's not arguing, that's just denial.

User avatar
Feazanthia
Minister
 
Posts: 2286
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Capsule Corporation wrote:Says you... we're more than capable of getting up close and personal even on friendly encounters... Our rule is "why probe, when you can shake hands?" :)


I know you're not supposed to attack a ship with point-defense weapons...but it is, on occasion, hilarious.
I am a Roleplay Mentor. I specialize in Future Tech, but you may ask me about anything.
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
[size=85]The Local Cluster - an FT Region| FT Advice & Assistance Thread | The Compendium | FT Thread Repository | NSBalls Subreddit

Want to be a part of the FT community? Join #NSLegion and #NSFT on irc.esper.net

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Feazanthia wrote:
Capsule Corporation wrote:Says you... we're more than capable of getting up close and personal even on friendly encounters... Our rule is "why probe, when you can shake hands?" :)


I know you're not supposed to attack a ship with point-defense weapons...but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Hehe I just watched that episode the other day ^_^

Seriously, I don't see why so many of these advanced FT nations don't have some ability to match their velocity vector with another object! Either with massive engines or short-range FTL or something like that, shouldn't be too hard.

User avatar
Otagia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1168
Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Otagia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:18 pm

L3 Communications wrote:Real men use Glitter Boys.

Free Quebec ftw?

User avatar
Kilrany
Diplomat
 
Posts: 712
Founded: Feb 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Kilrany » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

My ground armour is mainly more conventional looking APC/IFVs, tanks and whatnot, but I have one 'mech' based off the mechwarrior universe. I realize its not the most tactically sound thing in the world, but if we were to do all this with all seriousness, you'd have no ground army at all because your enemy could just pick them off from orbit, and if orbit is still contested, then landing troops would be near suicidal.
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya
(MT) The Kilrany Empire - Emperor Ivan Semyonovich Sviatov
(FT) The Kilrany - The Quinquevirate (Council of five)
Demonym: No alternate, Kilrany is the catch all term
Pronunciation: Kill-Raa-nee
General Purpose Kilrany FT OOC Thread

User avatar
Polish Worlds
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 154
Founded: Oct 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Polish Worlds » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Too bad I lack the skills to draw the Power armored cavalry. Also, it's more like:

Power armor: Good
Tanks: Good
Mecha: Lolwut
Tripods: Awesome

http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/other/matthews.jpg

This is the foundation of Polish Worlds military forces. And of all significant military forces in Earth after 1953.

Yeah it's an interstellar civilization in the 1950s - 1970s. Retro-futurism at its finest.

As for their space forces, it's "WW2 IN SPACE!" taken as literally as possible.
Poland Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Supermarine Spitfires IN SPACE! Tripods included. Wikistates Article

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the Moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy, United States of Lyra, Ursa Major Treaty Organization, 1961

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:23 pm

I just use these for ground/air/space assault... so versatile.
RA-X18 Kumen
Image

Developer: Raysia’s AdamWorks Group
Classification: Multirole Gunship
Crew: 1 Pilot, 1 Gunner
Length: 28m
Dry Weight: 50 Tons
Max Takeoff Weight: 125 Tons
Cargo Capacity: 12.6m x 2.5m x 3.3m
Powerplant: OZP Control Chamber
Propulsion: Virtual-Vacuum Drive System (VILE)
Ideal Operational Environment: Low-Altitude Atmosphere
Top VILE Speed: Mach 0.95
Other Areas of Full Operation: Any Fluid Environment
Transatmospheric Operations: 3 Minutes worth of Hypergolic Rocket Fuel
Vacuum Operations: With onboard Fuel Supply, VILE acts as Ion Drive
Armament: 4 Dual 30mm cannons, 2 EM Cannons [2kg x 10,000m/s], 6 Missile Hardpoints

User avatar
The Cosmic Balance
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: May 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby The Cosmic Balance » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Feazanthia wrote:Legged mecha will always, ALWAYS be inferior to tanks.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to take issue with this statement, but for reasons that you might not expect.

If it were strictly a matter of physics, your statement would be absolutely true. But it's not. NS != RL, and so we have to be carefully with arguments based solely on science. Mind you, I'm a big proponent of scientific realism; yet I also understand that RP here is largely a literary matter, and literary truth trumps scientific truth in NS RP - or should, anyway.

I see the Mecha vs. Tanks debate as a reflection of the ST vs. SW debate; utlimately, the science involved is less important than the recognition that there are important SF traditions at stake that must be respected. In the case of Mecha, what's at stake is the integrity of the tradition of Japanese Manga-based SF. The Japanese like Mecha because they appeal to the Japanese esthetic, especially in so far as the conjure up images of the romantic era of Japanese history (the Isolation), with its samurai and the duels among them. Tanks battles just aren't as thrilling as duels between armored titans who very closely resemble the mythical heroes. Realistic or not, it's a literary form that has great power; the wankishness of it is therefore acceptable for purely esthetic reasons.

As much of a hard SF fan as I am, I am therefore willing to accept that Mecha are equal to tanks - indeed, that they can even beat tanks one on one (that's how "heroic" they are); but the price of this is cost. If you want your mech to be able to be equal to ten tanks in battle, you'll have to pay more that ten times what a tank costs, and you'll have to be willing to have less than a tenth as many as your enemy has tanks (the reason it's not a simple tenfold scaling is due to the multiplier effect of force concentration). And if I show up with an OGRE, it's even-up regardless of the physics, more or less on a basis of the "boss" rule (all "bosses" are essentially equal).

User avatar
Feazanthia
Minister
 
Posts: 2286
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Capsule Corporation wrote:Seriously, I don't see why so many of these advanced FT nations don't have some ability to match their velocity vector with another object! Either with massive engines or short-range FTL or something like that, shouldn't be too hard.


Well, in my own case, it's because I don't have artificial gravity or inertial dampeners outside of futuristic G-suits, acceleration couches, and drugs. So my ships' acceleration is pretty much limited to what the meat-bags inside are capable of withstanding.
I am a Roleplay Mentor. I specialize in Future Tech, but you may ask me about anything.
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
[size=85]The Local Cluster - an FT Region| FT Advice & Assistance Thread | The Compendium | FT Thread Repository | NSBalls Subreddit

Want to be a part of the FT community? Join #NSLegion and #NSFT on irc.esper.net

User avatar
Feazanthia
Minister
 
Posts: 2286
Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Feazanthia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Mechs have their uses. Just recognize the fact that, when designed with equal tech levels, you're pretty much always going to be able to put a bigger gun and thicker armor on the tank, even if you're ignoring the obvious speed and ground contact issues mech legs would have.

The uses being the fact that they tend to scare the utter piss out of a populace, which makes it easier to lockdown a planet. And because you pretty much should never land ground forces without first having control of the skies, this makes mechs somewhat useful.
I am a Roleplay Mentor. I specialize in Future Tech, but you may ask me about anything.
<Virida>: Mentor yourself out of infodumps
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
[size=85]The Local Cluster - an FT Region| FT Advice & Assistance Thread | The Compendium | FT Thread Repository | NSBalls Subreddit

Want to be a part of the FT community? Join #NSLegion and #NSFT on irc.esper.net

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:37 pm

LOL I play SF pretty hard, but the idea of artifical gravity had to be a given... there was NO WAY I was going to send people on space campaigns on the most advanced ships I've ever heard of, without so much as a gravity toilet? "Yes, you have the most powerful weapons known to man, you can travel faster than light, you will see and conquer many new civilizations... but you must piss into this tube and have your poop scraped into a bag"

Uhhh no... I'm going to say I don't have tractor beams or inertial dampeners, but I have -somehow- managed to get artificial gravity.. it's one of the few things I'm soft on.

User avatar
Kilrany
Diplomat
 
Posts: 712
Founded: Feb 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Kilrany » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Heh, well if we did everything in a 100% realistic manner, we'd just be playing PMT, and no one would have FTL.
English is a language which chases other languages down foetid alleyways, pummels them unconscious, and rifles their belongings for vocabulary. - Russkya
(MT) The Kilrany Empire - Emperor Ivan Semyonovich Sviatov
(FT) The Kilrany - The Quinquevirate (Council of five)
Demonym: No alternate, Kilrany is the catch all term
Pronunciation: Kill-Raa-nee
General Purpose Kilrany FT OOC Thread

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Kilrany wrote:Heh, well if we did everything in a 100% realistic manner, we'd just be playing PMT, and no one would have FTL.

Realistic is fun, Hard Sci fi is fun,.... but there are a few things that need to just be assumed....

User avatar
The Cosmic Balance
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: May 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby The Cosmic Balance » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:43 pm

HST and I once talked about a "slowboat" FT campaign: PMT weapons and STL travel via ramdrives... :o

EDIT: My plan had been that we would use either the real near-star map or a randomly generated one in conjunction with tools like ChView and Celestia to create a region of space that everyone would be (relatively) familiar with. Players would then "colonize" worlds, establishing a new NS puppet for each individual colony (the population numbers produced by the NS engine would then make more sense: You start with 5M colonists and then your population grows steadily from there [uterine replicators and seed banks explain the early fast growth rates]). Calculators could be used and would be available to help guide players in describing the speed at which their new colonies would terraform their new worlds.

The "turn cycle" would, of course, be in years or even generations. I was thinking that a time scale of 1 RL Day = 1 RP Year, but with some flexibility for the resolution of combat. I never had the time to work it all out, but maybe sometime during the next year, I will...
Last edited by The Cosmic Balance on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Capsule Corporation
Diplomat
 
Posts: 935
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

Postby Capsule Corporation » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:48 pm

L3 Communications wrote:I don't use these anymore, but they sure were fun! ^_^[/quo

Image

Real men use Glitter Boys.

Whoa! You found it! :)
Last edited by Capsule Corporation on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads