NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Derscon wrote:
The WIck wrote:I hate OMGs ships because of their resemblance to the Last Exile yet I am conflicted because green is also my favorite color :/

You should stop hating good shows.

^

omg needs a lord madthane

Last edited by The Soviet Technocracy on Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 am

Thrashia wrote:
The WIck wrote:I hate OMGs ships because of their resemblance to the Last Exile yet I am conflicted because green is also my favorite color :/

I feel your pain Wick, I feel your pain.

u jelly cuz I'm stylin' on ur fleet.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Otagia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Otagia » Fri May 13, 2011 1:06 am

Derscon wrote:

This. There's plenty of OTHER reasons to hate OMG. ;)
Last edited by Otagia on Fri May 13, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri May 13, 2011 1:16 am

Otagia wrote:
Derscon wrote:

This. There's plenty of OTHER reasons to hate OMG. ;)

Like the fact that I'm better than all of you.
*nod nod*
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Fri May 13, 2011 1:30 am

Calm down boys, the e-peen show is out back where it won't destroy the Thread.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri May 13, 2011 1:35 am

Balrogga wrote:Calm down boys, the e-peen show is out back where it won't destroy the Thread.

Bah, you're no fun.

BUT, to continue from the previous subject, it's silly to make assumptions about other people's canon or the abilities of their ships, or their interior design. Or their power output. In fact, it's best to just assume everybody else's designs work exactly like they say they do, because there are so many conflicting canons and scientific theories on NS that there would probably be some sort of explosion if we tried to integrate them all.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri May 13, 2011 2:06 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Says you. Considering this particular drawing contains no references to power outputs, consumption of power per weapon, or even the width of the ship, you might ask for such details before you start making judgments.
Of course, while I can tell you that the ship is 180m wide at the midpoint, for the other two I'll tell you that it produces "enough" power and that each weapon consumes a "lot" of power. Those are metric measurements, BTW.
Hm. May want to make it a bit wider, in the range of a length/ width relationwhip between 5:1 & 8:1? Would be more stylistically in line with historical ships of the era you've ostensibly put in space, especially at the 5:1 end of the scale (8:1 is more modern-ish, as I'm well aware you know).

Admittedly, for a 1.8 km boat, the question is what you fill all that width with, but 'Reactors. More reactors. And sleeping quarters' probably suffices.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Balrogga
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Fri May 13, 2011 2:07 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Balrogga wrote:Calm down boys, the e-peen show is out back where it won't destroy the Thread.

Bah, you're no fun.

BUT, to continue from the previous subject, it's silly to make assumptions about other people's canon or the abilities of their ships, or their interior design. Or their power output. In fact, it's best to just assume everybody else's designs work exactly like they say they do, because there are so many conflicting canons and scientific theories on NS that there would probably be some sort of explosion if we tried to integrate them all.

You know, that would actually be an interesting Thread to read, one where somebody tried to stuff all the different systems into one working model and see what happens each time something new is added.
Last edited by Balrogga on Fri May 13, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Fri May 13, 2011 2:12 am

Just what we need, a frakking FT nation full of McGuyvers.
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Balrogga
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 am

No, a Thread based on comedy, not seriousness.

Ordering lunch

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri May 13, 2011 3:19 am

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Says you. Considering this particular drawing contains no references to power outputs, consumption of power per weapon, or even the width of the ship, you might ask for such details before you start making judgments.
Of course, while I can tell you that the ship is 180m wide at the midpoint, for the other two I'll tell you that it produces "enough" power and that each weapon consumes a "lot" of power. Those are metric measurements, BTW.
Hm. May want to make it a bit wider, in the range of a length/ width relationwhip between 5:1 & 8:1? Would be more stylistically in line with historical ships of the era you've ostensibly put in space, especially at the 5:1 end of the scale (8:1 is more modern-ish, as I'm well aware you know).

Admittedly, for a 1.8 km boat, the question is what you fill all that width with, but 'Reactors. More reactors. And sleeping quarters' probably suffices.

I recall looking up the designs and finding that, generally, it seems that ships went between 10:1 and 8:1. I think. It was a while ago, so I may be misremembering.

The primary space requirements are probably for cooling equipment, since EE tech, while very powerful, is rather heat-inefficient. I've noted before that the EE concept of 'stealth' is basically grouping a bunch of ships together so that their combined energy output blanks out nearby sensors. Other than that, shield generators tend to be quite large in order to deal with the threat of said absurdly powerful guns.

Oh, and there's a dramatic catwalk to have swordfights on. Over an implausibly large pit. Actually, the ship employs artificial gravity to switch the perception of 'down' towards the back of the ship so that the pit can be deeper.

@Balrogga
So basically instead of just releasing ONE brand of Lovecraftian horrors, people would be releasing Lovecraftian horrors from multiple canons.
Sounds fun :P
Last edited by OMGeverynameistaken on Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Balrogga
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Fri May 13, 2011 4:16 am

Yes, a Comedy of Horrors instead of the standard Tragedy.

Of course nothing would be taken serious, all done in jest and possibly extreme parody.

Ordering lunch

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Balrogga wrote:Yes, a Comedy of Horrors instead of the standard Tragedy.

Of course nothing would be taken serious, all done in jest and possibly extreme parody.

If you do this, then I will encourage Dornalia to sent Dr Tennenbaum.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Sun May 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:

You'd probably fill it with the same thing Maersk intends to fill their new 400 meter ships with... Shipping containers.
IBNFTW local 8492

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Sun May 15, 2011 2:45 pm

hilariously i have like 3 10 km shipping spacecraft

nothing but iso containers

and suddenly bigger iso containers

thousands of them
I love Rebecca Black

Clamparapa
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Clamparapa » Sun May 15, 2011 9:37 pm

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:hilariously i have like 3 10 km shipping spacecraft

thousands of them

Why would you carry software in ships that big? Those must be some huge iso files. o.O

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Clamparapa wrote:
The Soviet Technocracy wrote:hilariously i have like 3 10 km shipping spacecraft

thousands of them

Why would you carry software in ships that big? Those must be some huge iso files. o.O

say you're joking.
I love Rebecca Black

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Mon May 16, 2011 6:48 am

*raises arm, flops back down*

I'm not dead yet! I don't want to go on the cart!
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Rentusera
Attaché

Founded: Jul 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rentusera » Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 am

thousands of them

i have one spaceship ever

Decree: it kills small nations with one song

...at least as soon as I actually upgrade it from a glorified music-playing ship.
Rentusera, ar Wirtamael Cielan
I don't masturbate: I simply ponder on the prevalence of constructivism in de-realist paradigms and I hit orgasm.
Of course, I don't need to orgasm either: the nerves simply retract my sexual organs into producing more fuel for my brain, making me think more.
So you may say I am constantly masturbating and orgasming, but also not at the same time.

-Jenrak

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Mon May 16, 2011 10:10 am

Feazanthia wrote:*raises arm, flops back down*

I'm not dead yet! I don't want to go on the cart!

I think ill go for a walk!
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Balrogga wrote:No, a Thread based on comedy, not seriousness.

In terms of NS, that's a Paradox.

Because NS is SRS BSNS.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Rentusera wrote:

thousands of them

i have one spaceship ever

Decree: it kills small nations with one song

...at least as soon as I actually upgrade it from a glorified music-playing ship.

music

space

Wait, wut?

Xenohumanity
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xenohumanity » Mon May 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Person012345 wrote:
music
space
Wait, wut?
I think he meant something like this.
Factbook - Officially Good Enough To Show The In-Laws

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon May 16, 2011 2:37 pm

thousands of them
ISO 668 is so powerful, it transcends the borders between planets, nations, even species.

... Come to think of it, we do have a space-ISO, yes?
Last edited by Arthropoda Ingens on Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Rentusera
Attaché

Founded: Jul 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rentusera » Mon May 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Xenohumanity wrote:
Person012345 wrote:Wait, wut?
I think he meant something like this.

I wasn't sure whether to respond with a ridiculous explanation of Sound Science and Symphonic Power and how amps are the most brutal weapons in the universe...

...or this.
Last edited by Rentusera on Mon May 16, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rentusera, ar Wirtamael Cielan
I don't masturbate: I simply ponder on the prevalence of constructivism in de-realist paradigms and I hit orgasm.
Of course, I don't need to orgasm either: the nerves simply retract my sexual organs into producing more fuel for my brain, making me think more.
So you may say I am constantly masturbating and orgasming, but also not at the same time.

-Jenrak

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives