NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 am

Also, are we talking about regular criminals here or Prisoners of War? Because for some reason I've got the latter stuck in my head.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:13 am

Violent criminals, slavers, Serial rapist, genocidal people.. Serial killers ectera.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Violent criminals, slavers, Serial rapist, genocidal people.. Serial killers ectera.

Well in that case, I'd say no to stasis for the reasons mentioned above. Either you're effectively switching them off for the duration of their sentence, in which case they experience nothing and wake up as though no time has passed and only have to adjust to how the world's changed in their absence,* or they're still functional while in stasis, in which case you have to pay for their upkeep, maintenance and medical attention so they don't starve. The expense in this case is likely to be higher than simply locking them up and putting them to forced labour.

*Some people might not even consider this a punishment. Hyrum Graff in the Enderverse novels did it voluntarily to prolong his natural life and allow him to oversee the centuries-spanning human colonisation efforts. Of course, he hit a snag when the other directors decided to sack him while he was still in stasis. If you're not bothered by leaving your life behind, it may appear as a popular way to see what the universe looks like long after you should be dead - hardly a punishment.

EDIT: And oh my god I just discovered the film adaptation of Ender's Game has finally got out of development hell and is due for release in 2013. SQUEEEEEE!

EDIT2: And the cast looks phenomenal!
Last edited by Ularn on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Sen
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Zebian Syndicate wrote:
Santheres wrote:
Why do you need the planetoids for this?

A massive statite perhaps??

Statites are awesome.

*Sen has a proper dyson bubble going in the home system, with a band cut out around the equator so that the planets still get light*

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Sen wrote:
Zebian Syndicate wrote:
A massive statite perhaps??

Statites are awesome.

*Sen has a proper dyson bubble going in the home system, with a band cut out around the equator so that the planets still get light*

That would be really cool to see from a planet's surface; the sun just a thin sliver of light in the sky. How you you feel about people visiting the Senestrum (I assume you're calling it that) system?
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Sen should host a conference.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Genomita
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Genomita » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Indeed he should.

Here's a question: What do you think of mind uploading and body surfing, Eclipse Phase-style?

Eclipse Phase is a very good Transhuman Horror RPG by the way. i highly recomend it.
I use 80BF00 for native Genomitan,4040BF for Standard and BF80000 for Skav

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Genomita wrote:Indeed he should.

Here's a question: What do you think of mind uploading and body surfing, Eclipse Phase-style?

Eclipse Phase is a very good Transhuman Horror RPG by the way. i highly recomend it.

She, rather than he.

And do you mean from an RP perspective, or a realistic perspective?
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Sen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Ularn wrote:
Sen wrote:
Statites are awesome.

That would be really cool to see from a planet's surface; the sun just a thin sliver of light in the sky. How you you feel about people visiting the Senestrum (I assume you're calling it that) system?

Actually, you should be able to see the entirety of Sen*. The bubble has a radius of ~ 0.1 AU and, minus the equatorial band, has a coverage of ~95%, which makes the height of that band just about the same as the diameter of the star. What you will be able to see is a couple of bright slivers, centered on the poles and extending out seventeen and a half times the diameter of the star, which are the reflected light from the far side of the interior of the bubble. Now, they'd be a lot fainter than the star itself, but I'd bet they'd be visible. It would look something like this:

The bubble itself would only be visible at all in the twilight, when the sun is far enough under the horizon for the stars to be visible (and be noticeably blocked by the bubble) without being so far gone that the bubble itself is under the horizon.

*Senestrum is the planet, Sen is the star.
Last edited by Sen on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Sen wrote:
Ularn wrote:That would be really cool to see from a planet's surface; the sun just a thin sliver of light in the sky. How you you feel about people visiting the Senestrum (I assume you're calling it that) system?

Actually, you should be able to see the entirety of Sen*. The bubble has a radius of ~ 0.1 AU and, minus the equatorial band, has a coverage of ~95%, which makes the height of that band just about the same as the diameter of the star. What you will be able to see is a couple of bright slivers, centered on the poles and extending out seventeen and a half times the diameter of the star, which are the reflected light from the far side of the interior of the bubble. Now, they'd be a lot fainter than the star itself, but I'd bet they'd be visible. It would look something like this:

The bubble itself would only be visible at all in the twilight, when the sun is far enough under the horizon for the stars to be visible (and be noticeably blocked by the bubble) without being so far gone that the bubble itself is under the horizon.

*Senestrum is the planet, Sen is the star.

I would still love to put some characters on Senestrum and have them get all up in awe and shit :P

Also, that drawing could make a decent flag...
Last edited by Ularn on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Sen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:23 pm

It would certainly be interesting, especially the part where it sinks in that holy shit they have FTL and your ship/fleet gets mobbed by every ship in the system. :p

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Sen wrote:It would certainly be interesting, especially the part where it sinks in that holy shit they have FTL and your ship/fleet gets mobbed by every ship in the system. :p

Aaaaaand now Sen has a travel advisory sticker telling ships from the UIF to make sure their wormhole termini open well outside the system boundaries and that any journeys to the system itself are done in non-FTL capable shuttle craft or something.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:49 pm

The slit-of-starlight view might be appropriate in some other circumstances. If you Dysoned a quite luminous star, and wanted to use a planet comparatively close to it, then it could bring the temperature down quite naturally.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:50 pm

So Sen's little doodle inspired me to design a flag for some reason:
Sorry I couldn't be bothered going more complex than MSPaint :P
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Ularn wrote:So Sen's little doodle inspired me to design a flag for some reason:
(Image)

FT version of the eye of Sauron?
I AM DISAPPOINTED

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Ularn wrote:So Sen's little doodle inspired me to design a flag for some reason:
(Image)

The Eye of Senestrum?
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:09 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
(Image)

Was meant to be a Dyson Bubble cut in half - but that works as well!
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Sen wrote:

Then that's not a dyson sphere, or even a "bubble" by definition...
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Yes it is. Read Wikipedia's Dyson Sphere article. The solid shell is just one variant, most popular in sci-fi but arguably least practical.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Thrashia
Minister

Postby Thrashia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:Yes it is. Read Wikipedia's Dyson Sphere article. The solid shell is just one variant, most popular in sci-fi but arguably least practical.

Based on Sen's description, it's not a Dyson Bubble either. It's just a Dyson Sphere that had a band cut through the middle...which then causes it to cease being a full Dyson sphere.
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Sen
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 pm

It fits the definition of a dyson bubble perfectly: it is an array of statites arranged around a star. Of course, the array consists of only two statites, each of which collects almost half the light of the star, but it still a dyson bubble. It's pretty light too; only 3 quadrillion tonnes or so, which could easily be grabbed from a large asteroid. Well, sort of, the bulk of it (carbon for the nanotubes and metallic elements for the nantenna) would be readily available but various other components (eg, computational substrate, supercondicting power lines) would likely require relatively scarce trace elements in rather fantastic quantities.
Last edited by Sen on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thrashia
Minister

Postby Thrashia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Sen wrote:It fits the definition of a dyson bubble perfectly: it is an array of statites arranged around a star. Of course, the array consists of only two statites, each of which collects almost half the light of the star, but it still a dyson bubble. It's pretty light too; only 3 quadrillion tonnes or so, which could easily be grabbed from a large asteroid. Well, sort of, the bulk of it (carbon for the nanotubes and metallic elements for the nantenna) would be readily available but various other components (eg, computational substrate, supercondicting power lines) would likely require relatively scarce trace elements in rather fantastic quantities.

=/=

Sen wrote:

All I'm trying to point out.

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Ularn wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:Violent criminals, slavers, Serial rapist, genocidal people.. Serial killers ectera.

Well in that case, I'd say no to stasis for the reasons mentioned above. Either you're effectively switching them off for the duration of their sentence, in which case they experience nothing and wake up as though no time has passed and only have to adjust to how the world's changed in their absence,* or they're still functional while in stasis, in which case you have to pay for their upkeep, maintenance and medical attention so they don't starve. The expense in this case is likely to be higher than simply locking them up and putting them to forced labour.

*Some people might not even consider this a punishment. Hyrum Graff in the Enderverse novels did it voluntarily to prolong his natural life and allow him to oversee the centuries-spanning human colonisation efforts. Of course, he hit a snag when the other directors decided to sack him while he was still in stasis. If you're not bothered by leaving your life behind, it may appear as a popular way to see what the universe looks like long after you should be dead - hardly a punishment.

EDIT: And oh my god I just discovered the film adaptation of Ender's Game has finally got out of development hell and is due for release in 2013. SQUEEEEEE!

EDIT2: And the cast looks phenomenal!

Link?
Right behind you...: UDL

Zebian Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zebian Syndicate » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Actually, bridging the slit between the two hemispheres would simply leave it with a few really big gaps, and itty bitty connection between them.
And once again, it becomes a proper Shell.

Yay engineering technicalities!!!
Last edited by Zebian Syndicate on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The "Crazy Mafia esque rebel government"
Member of Battle Critters!
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Zebian Syndicate wrote:Hooray, new blood! Welcome to the wonderful (not at ALL) universe (bajillion convoluted dimensions) of NS FT! (massive tech wankers)

Hey now, at least when we wank its beautiful stellar jizz that shines in the rainbow light of the nebulae of the multiverse.
NS FT. Period.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Ularn wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:
Coming from a quitter... completely and totally true.

That's what I figured, at least for a person not smoking that much (<10 a day). If you're a heavy smoker properly addicted then perhaps having a prosthetic wouldn't change much (or maybe make you smoke more to compensate) but if you're only a casual smoker for the buzz/relaxation factor then losing that would take away any incentive to keep smoking. At least, that's my take from being on ~5 a day.

There is no buzz factor, though, at least not nearly as significantly as the factor of your brain freaking out when you haven't had your nicotine fix. The best way to nuke a nicotine addiction nanorobotically is to tweak the brain to experience nicotine-related pleasure without actually receiving nicotine. Or just traumatize the fuck out of the smokers to scare them into never smoking again (which is what it took for me to convince my mom to stop smoking; I had to convince her that a major clot in her lung was caused by her smoking - thus convincing her to stop - even though the clot was actually caused by her being bedridden after a massive fracture to her leg).

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives