NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:You can go back in time to the spot you want to travel too. (Back to the future reference :P)

But yes I have a question about the center of the milky way, would radiation be too high for any colonization efforts? (Not in the super massive blackhole of course)

It's a shit storm there. There are so many stars, anomalies, and space junk that you really wouldn't want to be there. I have very little in the way of assets in the core of either of my galaxies.

YellowApple wrote:
*raises hand*

From the beginning I've been RPing flying nomadic atmospheric cities, and have fully addressed the fact that oxygen is a precious resource in YellowApplan cities and settlements. This is the reason why tobacco and fossil fuels are not permitted to enter any YellowApplan city or settlement, since both - when used as they are intended - deplete oxygen at an alarming rate. The only reason why hydrogen fuel is permitted is because it produces water when combusted with hydrogen, rather than producing toxic waste gases.

Carbon dioxide, however, is also imported for similar reasons, since there are no planetary ecosystems providing a natural source of carbon. This makes YellowApple, Inc. love overly-polluted worlds, where it can start harvesting carbon dioxide to turn it into various products, including nutrients, allotrope materials (nanotubes, graphene, and diamond primarily), and other carbon-based goods. This is also used to explain why YellowApplan cities can at least somewhat keep up with terrestrial cities in manufacturing-related competition, since YellowApplan manufacture revolves quite significantly around carbon-based materials.

I hate to say I handwave this, but to be honest I couldn't figure out how to do that without affecting my nation's... flavor for lack of a better word.

I opted to turn it into the flavor in a number of ways:
  • YellowApplans, as a result of the high appreciation for oxygen, will give cold glares to smokers at best, and will outright beat the living hell out of smokers in many instances, since YellowApplans perceive the combustion of tobacco as a deprivation of their oxygen and therefore a direct threat against their lives.
  • YellowApplans find metallic materials needlessly expensive and inefficient, since their experience with creating virtually everything they own and/or use quite literally out of thin air by converting carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide into fabrication materials and breathable oxygen.
  • YellowApplan aerospace combat strategy revolves around smaller, more maneuverable ships (chiefly fighters, corvettes, and frigates), since the big ships generally hold civilian populations (unless they're built specifically to participate actively in combat) and therefore are not the preferred selection when choosing ships to throw into a battle.
  • Most YellowApplan fleets are equipped for interstellar (and even intergalactic) commerce, resource harvesting (primarily from Oort cloud objects, which tend to be rich in hydrocarbons), and scavenging (especially the refurbishing and reselling - or simple recycling - of derelict vessels).

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:47 pm

See, I really approached my nation for the perspective of a fantasy writer rather than a Sci-Fi writer. It's culture is very similar to the 1920s in America, so having to worry about oxygen would prevent people from smoking, and since everybody smokes in Kreanoltha now that their species are immune to cancer that would affect it. Also Kreanolthans like big ships so they build cityship -- they look a lot of Atlantis from Stargate -- freeing up large capital ships for asskicking duty.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I plan to move a bunch of large planetoids close to a sun and bath them in solar energy harvesters, would that be feasible?
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm

The Fedral Union wrote:I plan to move a bunch of large planetoids close to a sun and bath them in solar energy harvesters, would that be feasible?

Why do you need the planetoids for this?
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Zebian Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zebian Syndicate » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Santheres wrote:
The Fedral Union wrote:I plan to move a bunch of large planetoids close to a sun and bath them in solar energy harvesters, would that be feasible?

A massive statite perhaps??
The "Crazy Mafia esque rebel government"
Member of Battle Critters!
G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Zebian Syndicate wrote:Hooray, new blood! Welcome to the wonderful (not at ALL) universe (bajillion convoluted dimensions) of NS FT! (massive tech wankers)

Hey now, at least when we wank its beautiful stellar jizz that shines in the rainbow light of the nebulae of the multiverse.
NS FT. Period.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 pm

They're natural, and big and you can probably spin them quickly
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
[REDACTED BY MOD]

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:See, I really approached my nation for the perspective of a fantasy writer rather than a Sci-Fi writer. It's culture is very similar to the 1920s in America, so having to worry about oxygen would prevent people from smoking, and since everybody smokes in Kreanoltha now that their species are immune to cancer that would affect it. Also Kreanolthans like big ships so they build cityship -- they look a lot of Atlantis from Stargate -- freeing up large capital ships for asskicking duty.

I use cityships too in the larger city-fleets. Giant thousand-kilometer city-ships make up much of Manzanopolis Prime when it transitioned from an atmospheric city to a city-fleet.

As for smoking, you could create well-ventilated speakeasy-esque places where smoking is permitted and/or permit smoking in private quarters, so that the smokers can smoke without spoiling the oxygen supply of everyone else.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:See, I really approached my nation for the perspective of a fantasy writer rather than a Sci-Fi writer. It's culture is very similar to the 1920s in America, so having to worry about oxygen would prevent people from smoking, and since everybody smokes in Kreanoltha now that their species are immune to cancer that would affect it. Also Kreanolthans like big ships so they build cityship -- they look a lot of Atlantis from Stargate -- freeing up large capital ships for asskicking duty.

I use cityships too in the larger city-fleets. Giant thousand-kilometer city-ships make up much of Manzanopolis Prime when it transitioned from an atmospheric city to a city-fleet.

As for smoking, you could create well-ventilated speakeasy-esque places where smoking is permitted and/or permit smoking in private quarters, so that the smokers can smoke without spoiling the oxygen supply of everyone else.

Kreanolthan city ships are really ships in name only. They are massive open air areas separated from space by energy shields. There are massive towers sometimes a hundred miles tall, and there are tons of parks with trees, gardens, ect.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Santheres wrote:

I can see moving an asteroid to a mobile factory that created the orbital collectors to act as the resources but that is all. They should be fine as individual orbitals and you can toss the mined out shells of the asteroid into the star to dispose of them easily enough.

Moving planetoids so you can spin it, I see no purpose of that.
Last edited by Balrogga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:13 am

YellowApple wrote:

I was considering this in one of my recent RPs. Let me go find the post...

...here it is.

Because the planet they're fighting on is a radioactive wasteland, the marines can't go outside unless they're in full armour, so the only time they can have a smoke is in the barracks. While their nanotech can usually handle most of the toxins, it's still considered polite to do it somewhere near an extractor fan or something so as to limit the inconvenience for everyone else. Same approach is generally taken on most UIF ships and space stations.

Later in the RP that character gets an arm and a lung dissolved by an acid-spitting radioactive zombie. Eventually he'll quit smoking since the prosthetic lung filters out nicotine, meaning he only gets half the buzz from smoking and that's just not worth it.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:49 am

The Fedral Union wrote:I was thinking of implementing a change in my nation by making weather/biosphere control and gravity/spin control on my core worlds common. The former because they're so developed they produce a shit load of thermal pollution the latter to slow some worlds down to be habitable. Thats not to say industry isn't moved off planet of course industrial production on massive scales happen in space due to the abundance of resources. But planets will always retain a massive industrial base.

My industrial and personal fabbers, anti matter power plants, fusion plants , core taps and more recently vacuum power facilities all produce alot of heat so I'm wondering if its reasonable from a writing standpoint? forgetting about alot of the buildings too but not as much since they're built Environmentally friendly.

They're rather different things. In terms of physical requirements, weather control is hardly demanding. The chaotic dynamics makes things interesting in that if you change the weather, you can't be sure what it would have done if you hadn't interfered, but this is I think more relevant to the ethics of doing it than the actual possibility.

Gravity control has little basis, but is well established, I believe most people have artgrav on their ships and some may use gravity well projectors.

Altering a planet's spin, on the other hand, is tricky. The rotational kinetic energy of a planet is rather less than its orbital energy, but it's still a lot, you've got a huge mass moving at several hundred miles per hour. Similarly for angular momentum. You could do it, but it probably won't be easy. If you claim the capability to destroy planets, I think you'll be perfectly in the zone to alter their rotation. The details of how to do it are also tricky, pushing an object is simpler than spinning it, but again there are ways and means.

Your reason for doing so, however, is I think unlikely to apply unless you come across a world that spins crazy fast, your people really don't get on with different length day-night cycles, you have such resources and capabilities that it's actually easy for you, or you're plain stubborn and persist in doing things the hard way.

The Fedral Union wrote:But yes I have a question about the center of the milky way, would radiation be too high for any colonization efforts? (Not in the super massive blackhole of course)
In light of the capabilities of shields typically seen, the radiation will be easily handled. I'd be a bit worried about settlements without such shields though, but even then, it might be manageable - researching the IRL knowledge on the matter would be wise. On distance, there are stars orbiting - not spiralling into - the central black hole at distances as close as 12 light-hours or so, though you do get relativistic effects that close.
I'm talking realistically, of course. It's common in sci-fi for places like central black holes to be treated as somewhat worse than reality.

Feasible, yes. Efficient, maybe less so. To move a satellite in towards its primary requires you to disspiate quite a bit of energy, especially if you want a close circular orbit rather than a comet-like ellipse or a collision.

Ularn wrote:Eventually he'll quit smoking since the prosthetic lung filters out nicotine, meaning he only gets half the buzz from smoking and that's just not worth it.
This I have to say I find unlikely (though by no means impossible). Most smokers don't do it to get a "buzz", they do it to feed their addiction, because the withdrawal symptoms are unpleasant. (Think back to times when you've been really hungry and imagine feeling that way but for a cigarette not food, and I believe you can get some idea of what it's like.) I doubt the impaired nicotine absorption would result in the smoker quitting; if anything, I'd expect them to smoke more to compensate. (There's also the fact that nicotine can be absorbed through the mouth, though less readily than via the lungs I think).

On the other hand, losing one lung might be just the shock one needs to protect the remaining natural lung by stopping filling it with smoke.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004

Postby Sskiss » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 am

Thrashia wrote:To be more exact, the "Golden Age of FT" occurred between 2003-2005. A lot of the old guard (Chronosia, Mindset, Central Facehuggeria, CorpSac, Balrogga, Jenrak, Parlim, Vernii, etc) were more active and the early concepts of "Code of Bro" were being experienced. There were a lot of excellent rps. This was back when NS was hosted on the jolt forums. I'm sad that they deleted all of the forums we had there, since a lot of information and old RPs were lost as a result.

You are right Thrashia, there were lots of good RP's back then, great even! I had a blast then! We all sort of had a "de facto" code of bro going on which really helped things along. And a wide variety of RP's too; diplomacy, wars, some espionage and all manner of political shenanigans! Plenty of Rp's from 03' - 06' on the old jolt forums and offsite as well.
Last edited by Sskiss on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 am

Ularn wrote:Eventually he'll quit smoking since the prosthetic lung filters out nicotine, meaning he only gets half the buzz from smoking and that's just not worth it.

Coming from a quitter... completely and totally true.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:07 am

Kreanoltha wrote:

That's what I figured, at least for a person not smoking that much (<10 a day). If you're a heavy smoker properly addicted then perhaps having a prosthetic wouldn't change much (or maybe make you smoke more to compensate) but if you're only a casual smoker for the buzz/relaxation factor then losing that would take away any incentive to keep smoking. At least, that's my take from being on ~5 a day.
Last edited by Ularn on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:14 am

Ularn wrote:if you're only a casual smoker for the buzz/relaxation factor then losing that would take away any incentive to keep smoking. At least, that's my take from being on ~5 a day.

Fairy nuff. Most smokers I know have a twenty-a-day, or worse, habit so I was going by that.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:30 am

For anyone interested, this post and the one below it cover Scott losing his arm and lung and then returning to active duty with the prosthetic. Is it just me or does anyone else tend to find developing your universe and the people in it to be more fun than progressing the story in an RP?
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:37 am

Ularn wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

That's what I figured, at least for a person not smoking that much (<10 a day). If you're a heavy smoker properly addicted then perhaps having a prosthetic wouldn't change much (or maybe make you smoke more to compensate) but if you're only a casual smoker for the buzz/relaxation factor then losing that would take away any incentive to keep smoking. At least, that's my take from being on ~5 a day.

At my worst I'm twelve-fifteen a day, but I am well and truly hooked. Quitting is a total, ugly bitch.

Ularn wrote:For anyone interested, this post and the one below it cover Scott losing his arm and lung and then returning to active duty with the prosthetic. Is it just me or does anyone else tend to find developing your universe and the people in it to be more fun than progressing the story in an RP?

For me it's both. I have a lot of fun developing a story, but I do relish any moment to advance my nation's characterization.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 am

Also is it economical to store prisoners in stasis chambers?
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Also is it economical to store prisoners in stasis chambers?

If the stasis equipment is cheaper to operate/maintain and more compact than a conventional prison cell, then it may be. Although from the prisoner's perspective, that takes away the whole threat of imprisonment, since they just go to sleep, then wake up at the end of their term without any time having elapsed from their mental perspective. And for lifetime sentences, that'd mean you have to maintain their stasis capsule indefinitely.
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Also is it economical to store prisoners in stasis chambers?

Not as economical as, say, prison labour.

The Akasha Colony wrote:If the stasis equipment is cheaper to operate/maintain and more compact than a conventional prison cell, then it may be. Although from the prisoner's perspective, that takes away the whole threat of imprisonment, since they just go to sleep, then wake up at the end of their term with no time having passed for themselves. And for lifetime sentences, that'd mean you have to maintain their stasis capsule indefinitely.

Also this.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:57 am

Unless you have the tech to manipulate their dreams.
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:58 am

The Fedral Union wrote:Unless you have the tech to manipulate their dreams.

If it's a true stasis capsule, they shouldn't be dreaming, since dreaming implies the functioning of brain processes, which requires the functioning of the metabolism, which defeats the point of stasis. At that point, you're talking more of an induced coma than 'stasis' as it is classically known.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 am

Which sounds like senselessly cruel punishment; you're actually making an investment in ensuring their lives are miserable. Also, it implies they're conscious and functioning at some level, meaning you have to feed them and otherwise take care of them, driving up your costs a lot from the baseline "locking them in a box and switching them off for a few years"
Last edited by Ularn on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 am

I just finished reading a book series (Commonwealth Saga/The Void Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton) that used stasis imprisonment for its violent criminals (petty criminals just paid a fine or served a conventional sentence). Of course, in that universe, mankind had been rendered effectively immortal by Rejuvination (and, later, Biononics) technology. Stasis was seen as a "Suspension from Life", which acted as a deterrent because these suspensions lasted for centuries or more. If an individual went into suspension, when they came out they would emerge into a nearly alien society. Everyone they knew and cared about would have moved on with their lives, all their friends and contacts would have spread out and forgotten about them. Many of their skills would have to be re-learned. They'd have to start their lives over again and climb back up, and this time they'd have the Serious Crimes Directorate looking over their shoulders the entire time.

It worked well in that universe, at least.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 am

Ularn wrote:

Which sounds like senselessly cruel punishment; you're actually making an investment in ensuring their lives are miserable.

This assumes they remember any of it when they wake up. Dreams have that odd habit of never sticking around in conscious memory.
New Terran Republic (FT)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives