NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
Perhaps a temporary upload for reprogramming purposes would be okay. I do like the angle of considering the organics to be excessively complex, though that also reeks of the whole "humans always win because they're special for some weird and contrived reason" trope. The justifications of doing it that way are also sound.

There is no reason to think that this would work. You can not up-load a mind, edit it, and redownload it with the fixes. Brains do not work that way. The only way to change the mind that is in the brain is to edit the neurons because that's all the mind is: neurons chatting with neurons. You have to reconfigure the neurons. Based on what you're talking about doing, you would still need surgery.

That's dependent on the assumption that the neurons themselves are storing data, or that the physical connections between neurons are the actual programming. Even if those assumptions are correct, it should still be possible to go brain-in-a-vat style and utilize the brain's own mechanisms of physical axon rerouting to perform the neuron reconfiguration.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:
There is no reason to think that this would work. You can not up-load a mind, edit it, and redownload it with the fixes. Brains do not work that way. The only way to change the mind that is in the brain is to edit the neurons because that's all the mind is: neurons chatting with neurons. You have to reconfigure the neurons. Based on what you're talking about doing, you would still need surgery.

That's dependent on the assumption that the neurons themselves are storing data, or that the physical connections between neurons are the actual programming. Even if those assumptions are correct, it should still be possible to go brain-in-a-vat style and utilize the brain's own mechanisms of physical axon rerouting to perform the neuron reconfiguration.

You would have to be able to manipulate the connections between the neurons, reconfigure dendrites, and make the neurons talk to each-other through the new connection. Either way, editing an uploaded mind is not the way to do this.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

You would have to be able to manipulate the connections between the neurons, reconfigure dendrites, and make the neurons talk to each-other through the new connection. Either way, editing an uploaded mind is not the way to do this.

Which is why I suggested brain-in-a-vat style, since it could then use the brain to do all the reconfiguration necessary on its own. You're correct in stating that uploading a mind doesn't accomplish this, but you have what I'm saying backwards, which is that forcing the brain to rejigger itself is the way to facilitate the mind-uploading.

Not that this is all relevant anyway, since it's more fun to just drill out the brain and swap in a nice clean computer to latch onto the spinal cord and control the peripheral nervous system directly. Brains are too complicated ;)

Etrontias
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Etrontias » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey, I was directed here and I'd like to ask about population. I was hoping to set my population somewhere around 370 billion, but I'm really new here, so I'd like to ask, is that to much?
FT:
Population:370 Billion.
Military:19.9 billion soldiers total.
Territory:350 planets with 750 mil.+ people
2000-3000 w/o 750 mil.+ people.
This looks sorta small, but oh well.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Population is ultimately meaningless in FT, so whatever floats your boat.

I mean, I probably wouldn't go 540 quadrillion per planet, but you know what I mean.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Etrontias wrote:Hey, I was directed here and I'd like to ask about population. I was hoping to set my population somewhere around 370 billion, but I'm really new here, so I'd like to ask, is that to much?

Populations in the hundreds of billions aren't rare. I personally claim 131 billion sentients of various persuasions.

Personally, I think going into the multi-trillions is stretching it barring some sort of caveat (such as your race being a hive-mind of nanomachines or something.) We have FT Bravo for the multi-galatic doompires.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004

Postby Sskiss » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Etrontias wrote:Hey, I was directed here and I'd like to ask about population. I was hoping to set my population somewhere around 370 billion, but I'm really new here, so I'd like to ask, is that to much?

For a contrast, I still use my base nationstates population.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:

Populations in the hundreds of billions aren't rare. I personally claim 131 billion sentients of various persuasions.

Personally, I think going into the multi-trillions is stretching it barring some sort of caveat (such as your race being a hive-mind of nanomachines or something.) We have FT Bravo for the multi-galatic doompires.

No we don't. They won't be accepted into it like that. If anything, FT Bravo is more restrictive.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 pm

That sounds sane and rational to me, so long as you have enough planets in your control for there to be a reasonable population density.

In other words, it really depends on how big of an empire you're going for. I generally stick to my in-game population, since I find it sufficiently large, but I don't have planet-wide cities or anything silly like that, so YMMV.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:59 pm

My FT population for NS purposes is the actual population listed on this account. It's part of a larger organization but that larger organization so far has never come into play on NS.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:46 am

Santheres wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Populations in the hundreds of billions aren't rare. I personally claim 131 billion sentients of various persuasions.

No we don't. They won't be accepted into it like that. If anything, FT Bravo is more restrictive.

Indeed, FT-Bravo is a training program that strives to help the less experienced players in the hope of helping them improve so that they may one day join the greater FT community. To do that, we do impose certain restrictions on the amount of systems, planets and fleet numbers that better reflect the current galactic community.

More to the current conversation, I've never bothered with giving myself a set population for my nation. Never have, even when I was played MT back when population actually DID matter. So long as you're a good player, a good writer, one that is willing to take losses and above all else COMPROMISE, then having set numbers isn't required for a functioning nation.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:58 am

I don't think so.

If you do want an ecumenopolis - a planet-wide city, along the lines of Coruscant say - then that will impose a lower bound on your population, depending on exactly what the residences are like. Conversely if you like me want most of your population in a relatively small land area that will impose an upper bound, again the exact figure depends on the nature of the settlement.

Personally I now use ten times my NS figure.

EDIT: Notwithstanding such considerations, IMHO there's nothing particularly wrong in having a relatively small population that's strung out across a lot of star systems, or conversely in having a large population but still being in one's home system. It'll depend on technological development and culture.
Last edited by SquareDisc City on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:03 pm

I run my population extremely low, about 300 million instead of the 19 billion my NS pop would allow. I can quickly and easily expand my population but I do not foresee it going above a billion unless it is needed as part of a plot or some other circumstances.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Korvos
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:59 pm

So, I need some help about making a new RP. I want to make something much more character based, but where the characters are not employees of the government or military. You could say a "Civilian" RP.
Besides that, though, I really do not know what to do.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Korvos wrote:So, I need some help about making a new RP. I want to make something much more character based, but where the characters are not employees of the government or military. You could say a "Civilian" RP.
Besides that, though, I really do not know what to do.

It depends on what your goal is with this RP. Without a sense of direction, my suggestion would be a freeform RP of sorts: basically, establish some arbitrary location that's internationally accessible (a trading post perhaps?) and RP the daily lives of some ordinary-Joe civilians.

Balrogga
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Make a cruise ship heading from one nation to another on a Grand Opening Cruise. You would control the ship as it travels from place to place and the other players would play the guests aboard the ship. Limit each to a single character and a couple back up ones. Make it a murder mystery they would have to solve as ordinary FT citizens. You can present tons of clues of which only a couple are real and see if they can guess who did it.

EDIT:

The reason for back up characters is the killer would cover his tracks by eliminating someone that gets too close to identifying him/her/it. Of course all the characters would be disposable if this is the case.
Last edited by Balrogga on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Balrogga wrote:Make a cruise ship heading from one nation to another on a Grand Opening Cruise. You would control the ship as it travels from place to place and the other players would play the guests aboard the ship. Limit each to a single character and a couple back up ones. Make it a murder mystery they would have to solve as ordinary FT citizens. You can present tons of clues of which only a couple are real and see if they can guess who did it.

Additionally, one could subvert it and make it like one of those mystery train rides that folks sign up for to pretend to be detectives.

Balrogga
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 pm

If this idea is taken I would create a normal human who won a cruise from his company for the RP.

Ordering lunch

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Really like the cruise ship idea. Well, without the murder mystery plot.
Thanks for the help, guys.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Korvos wrote:Really like the cruise ship idea. Well, without the murder mystery plot.

Let me know if/when you start that RP. I'd be interested.

Of The Arch ilands
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Of The Arch ilands » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 am

YellowApple wrote:
Korvos wrote:Really like the cruise ship idea. Well, without the murder mystery plot.

Let me know if/when you start that RP. I'd be interested.

Titanic in space yeh?
The Confederacy of the Arch Islands Factbook|Confederacy of the arch Planets Factbook (FT)|Military Factbook (MT)|Arch's Random Species Generator (FT)

Xiscapia wrote:In Soviet Archland, OH SHIT FRANK IS BEHIND YOU!

18:47 Urarailgun In heaven the cooks are Archian, the engineers are Urarailian, the lovers are Delemontian, and the police are Britannian. In hell the cooks are Britannian, the engineers are Delemontian, the lovers are Archian, and the police are Urarailian

Ty-Ralyain
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ty-Ralyain » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:28 am

I'd like to pop in too. Sounds like it might be fun.
"Hmm, you are organic aren't you? I suppose you'll make a great father then!
The Nation-Page means nothing. Equal to zilch, nada, nothing. If you want to know about the Ty'Ralyains check below. ↓↓↓
Book o' facts

A bunch of nymphomaniac, raider, Kerrigan-esque, piratey, decentralized, alien women.

Korvos
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Vernii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2008
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Vernii » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 am

Here's a topic that I don't think has been discussed in a while: How do you handle the differences in day and year length among the worlds of your stellar empires?

For the Imperium, the capital world of Vernii sets the standard of Imperial time, at a 26 hour day and 360.16 day year. The military and imperial-level government bureaucracies run on this standard. Vernii itself (and all habitats within the Gregor system and Free Expansion Zone) uses a modified Gregorian calendar consisting of twelve months of thirty days each and a leap day every six years. The other four systems however, have their own local time-keeping and calendars for system-level administration and business. Erewohn for instance (second most populated system in the Imperium) runs on a modified version of the French Republican Calendar, a 22 hour day, and 406 day year. This makes holidays rather interesting to keep track of. In the interest of promoting a national culture, all five planetary New Year's are celebrated on the Imperial Calendar.

Space stations and habitats are easier to keep track of at least. If they are in a system with a populated planet, they adopt whatever the local time-system is. If there is not a populated world, they use Imperial time. All military starships use Imperial, converted over into military standard (the clocks go up to 2600 hours). Civilian starships are free to use whatever time-system they want, but all administrative paperwork associated with them is done in Imperial.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 am

Space Russia employs giant rockets to give all of its planets 24 hour days and 365 day years, because the universe is going to tick how we damn well tell it to.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives