NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:48 pm

YellowApple wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:On a sidenote, am I the only FT person who has a presence on Earth without claiming the entire planet if not the entire solar system?

Nope. I still RP it like it is now: with a crapton of individual nations fighting with each other.

Indeed, I as well. I even have a world map in the factbook that will eventually list all the various nations on the Amerikverse Earth...turns out it's a LOT easier to make them all consolidated into power blocs than actually figure out individual countries (what if Africa was just one nation, why not), but I'mma try anyways.

As far as races and species goes, I actually find that dividing a species into different 'races' in terms of physical appearance, even if it doesn't make them any more different from each other, actually kinda can help sometimes in fleshing them out. After all, it is somewhat presumptuous to assume that just because they're an entirely different species, there won't be infighting amongst themselves and even what we would consider racism based on their own inbuilt genetic diversity.

Or, in a broader sense, humans fight and seperate themselves into different groups based on a variety of reasons, some of them physical. It'd certainly be possible for other species to seperate themselves into different groups based on physical differences from other members of their species, especially if they developed along the same kind of pack mentality humanity did.
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:55 pm

O wow we killed it.

Anyway, Just how far could you shoot a 200mm Railgun slug from land based platform and hit with any degree of accuracy?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 pm

There are so many variables that would determine your answer it makes my head spin.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Feazanthia wrote:There are so many variables that would determine your answer it makes my head spin.

Trying to revive this somewhat, In a Perfect Vacum and Normal Gravity?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Just let it die.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Vocenae wrote:Just let it die.

And you should give yourself a pat on the back, Biop, because you and certain others have single-handedly bludgeoned it over the head with a shovel and tossed it in a ditch.

And now you're trying to drag it out of its ignoble resting place and use its corpse as a puppet for your own amusement? For shame.
Last edited by Avenio on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Avenio wrote:
Vocenae wrote:Just let it die.

And you should give yourself a pat on the back, Biop, because you and certain others have single-handedly bludgeoned it over the head with a shovel and tossed it in a ditch.

And now you're trying to drag it out of its ignoble resting place and use its corpse as a puppet for your own amusement? For shame.

Well if that's the case time to start a new one.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm

You missed his point entirely, and there's no goddamned need to start a new one. Even if there was, you'd just spam that one to hell and back and ruin it like you've ruined this thread.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Vocenae wrote:You missed his point entirely, and there's no goddamned need to start a new one. Even if there was, you'd just spam that one to hell and back and ruin it like you've ruined this thread.

Probably the friendly reception that killed it.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Vocenae wrote:You missed his point entirely, and there's no goddamned need to start a new one. Even if there was, you'd just spam that one to hell and back and ruin it like you've ruined this thread.

???

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

???

Stupid remark attempting to be clever is stupid. Give it no more thought.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 pm

On a dubiously-positive note, everyone's unanimous disdain for Biop has resurrected the thread.

Anyway, I'm working on a robotic spacefaring puppet (Dei ex Machina, ICly self-referenced as "Sancti Machina Imperii") that discovered religion and is killing all organics, perceiving them all to be sinners. My question involves what to do with organics when they're encountered; would going Borg-style (or Husk-style if you're a Mass Effect fan) be worthwhile, or should they just be exterminated?

I imagine that converting organic victims to cyborg-like drones would provide effective labor, but my concern is that the materials cost of phasing out failing organic parts for mechanical ones would be more expensive than simply constructing a new purely-robotic drone. Assuming that the robots are simply mind-wiping their organic victims (so as to prevent future "sin"), are there any cost-related justifications to actually reusing the organics instead of disintegrating them?

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm

YellowApple wrote:On a dubiously-positive note, everyone's unanimous disdain for Biop has resurrected the thread.

Anyway, I'm working on a robotic spacefaring puppet (Dei ex Machina, ICly self-referenced as "Sancti Machina Imperii") that discovered religion and is killing all organics, perceiving them all to be sinners. My question involves what to do with organics when they're encountered; would going Borg-style (or Husk-style if you're a Mass Effect fan) be worthwhile, or should they just be exterminated?

I imagine that converting organic victims to cyborg-like drones would provide effective labor, but my concern is that the materials cost of phasing out failing organic parts for mechanical ones would be more expensive than simply constructing a new purely-robotic drone. Assuming that the robots are simply mind-wiping their organic victims (so as to prevent future "sin"), are there any cost-related justifications to actually reusing the organics instead of disintegrating them?

I doubt it. Unless you can selectively edit the mind/memories your going to wipe out motor skills and other things organics need to operate. Likely it would just be best to destroy all organics on sight and then harvest whatever is left for any organic material and any other usable materials that the organics might have.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Vernii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2008
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Vernii » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

YellowApple wrote:On a dubiously-positive note, everyone's unanimous disdain for Biop has resurrected the thread.

Approaching it from that perspective, the only (dubious) justification for capturing organics would be to recycle them for their constituent materials (water, carbon, iron), etc. Even that would be easier done after just nerve gassing the shit out of population centers and then collecting the dead, and easier still would be just gaining the elements from comets and asteroids.

On another note, that species might make a decent opponent for my Inhibitor puppet at some point, potentially.

EDIT: Ack, beaten. Personally, I consider the whole Terminator style hatred of organic life to be a rather overused trope. The idea of religious machines is an interesting one, but it's being tacked onto something that's been rehashed over and over.
Last edited by Vernii on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:I doubt it. Unless you can selectively edit the mind/memories your going to wipe out motor skills and other things organics need to operate. Likely it would just be best to destroy all organics on sight and then harvest whatever is left for any organic material and any other usable materials that the organics might have.

Considering that the machines in question are already programmed to have at least acceptable motor skills, I don't think overwriting that aspect of the mind would be a problem. Harvesting the resources directly is an interesting thought, and I'll probably apply that regardless.

Vernii wrote:Approaching it from that perspective, the only (dubious) justification for capturing organics would be to recycle them for their constituent materials (water, carbon, iron), etc. Even that would be easier done after just nerve gassing the shit out of population centers and then collecting the dead, and easier still would be just gaining the elements from comets and asteroids.

On another note, that species might make a decent opponent for my Inhibitor puppet at some point, potentially.

EDIT: Ack, beaten. Personally, I consider the whole Terminator style hatred of organic life to be a rather overused trope. The idea of religious machines is an interesting one, but it's being tacked onto something that's been rehashed over and over.

Nerve gassing is a good idea. I'll definitely throw that in, since that'll make harvesting easier (be it for body hijacking or molecular recycling).

Another component that I just envisioned would be whether or not outright killing would be regarded as sin and therefore forbidden unless strictly necessary. I suppose it depends upon theological interpretation, but that might be sufficient IC justification. Unfortunately, that would also beg the question of whether erasing one's mind completely and replacing it with robot programming constitutes "killing"...

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:34 am

IIRC, the reason the Borg assimilate people is because they then gain access to traits, knowledge and/or genetic information they consider worthwhile. That's why the Borg sometimes ignore species as being 'unworthy' of assimilation.

As to mind wiping, it would probably be more practical to simply drug them into a highly suggestible state (or simply to the point where integrated machine bits do all of the moving, while the conscious mind is kept under. Eventually the inbuilt machines could figure out which bits of the brain were responsible for personality and memory and so forth and 'delete' them in some fashion. This also creates an interesting weakness if one can cut off the supply of drugs prior to full 'integration'.

Alternatively, the goal of the machines could be to seize organics and forcibly upload their minds into some sort of hivemind or other form of machine state (as per their religious motivations to bring 'salvation' to the galaxy.) This would give you reason to capture large numbers of civilians, although presumably great care would be taken not to kill them until they had been properly saved, at which point the organic bits could be discarded (regardless of whether or not the uploading process is just copying or an actual transfer.)
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Trailers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:51 am

Depends. Is your AI going to be trying to 'convert' organics, or read them a litany of their sins? Or does it feel justified in just smacking the organics in question with a high velocity space rock?
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:23 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:IIRC, the reason the Borg assimilate people is because they then gain access to traits, knowledge and/or genetic information they consider worthwhile. That's why the Borg sometimes ignore species as being 'unworthy' of assimilation.

That is from Voyager, and thus does not count because Voyager was terrible. *sagenod*

Originally, the Borg assimilated all sentient life in order to help move them and themselves towards the Borg's ideal of 'perfection'. The Collective considered itself incredibly altruistic.
Last edited by Feazanthia on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Valinon
Spokesperson

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalizt

Postby Valinon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:23 am

Of course, the manifestation of this perfection was Alice Krige. That's not insubstantial evidence that the Collective's idea of perfection--as well as the prime design of its altruism--may be skewed in some significant, problematic ways. The statement regarding Voyage is wholly accurate, though.
"We do not care where you go, but you cannot stay here."
The Honorable Herr William H. Keith to all 'colonization/relocation/refugee' convoys/missions en route to Alpha Centauri
Her Imperial Majesty's Foreign Ministry, Special Office for Border Control & Forcible Deportation

Fact Book Project | The Lanthe Route & Lee | State of the Galaxy | Interstellar Trade Cooperative

Pantheon of Useful NSFT Links
FT Advice & Assistance Thread | Helpful FT Links| The Local Cluster | NS Future Tech (NSFT) Discord Server

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:O wow we killed it.

Anyway, Just how far could you shoot a 200mm Railgun slug from land based platform and hit with any degree of accuracy?

If you calculate speed of both the planet and round well enough (which is possible today by walking into a Calculus classroom), then theoretically as far as there are no objects to interfere, as it's in the vacuum of space I assume. However, the longer range the longer said defenses have time to react, and a railround can be knocked off course easily enough by a nuke or something of that effect.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Well, just modify the brain. Take out all that extra mumbo-sentient-jumbo. An idea I stumbled across when reading the excellent hard sci-fi novel Blindsight:

SENTIENCE SUCKS!

We waste a stunning amount of energy on such superfluous things like art. Nonsentience is preferable to sentience because, ironically, just surviving is a more effective way of living than thriving.

And because the brain is far more elastic than one might be led to assume, cutting out swaths of it would not necessarily lead to death. Essentially, lobotomizing them might work.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Trailers wrote:Depends. Is your AI going to be trying to 'convert' organics, or read them a litany of their sins? Or does it feel justified in just smacking the organics in question with a high velocity space rock?

If I go with the "wipe mind and hijack body" idea, then yes, "conversion" would be the goal. Otherwise (if this ends up being too impractical or if the species in question is too difficult to mind-wipe), high velocity space rock would probably be justified if they don't voluntarily give up their "sins" as a species.

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:IIRC, the reason the Borg assimilate people is because they then gain access to traits, knowledge and/or genetic information they consider worthwhile. That's why the Borg sometimes ignore species as being 'unworthy' of assimilation.

As to mind wiping, it would probably be more practical to simply drug them into a highly suggestible state (or simply to the point where integrated machine bits do all of the moving, while the conscious mind is kept under. Eventually the inbuilt machines could figure out which bits of the brain were responsible for personality and memory and so forth and 'delete' them in some fashion. This also creates an interesting weakness if one can cut off the supply of drugs prior to full 'integration'.

Alternatively, the goal of the machines could be to seize organics and forcibly upload their minds into some sort of hivemind or other form of machine state (as per their religious motivations to bring 'salvation' to the galaxy.) This would give you reason to capture large numbers of civilians, although presumably great care would be taken not to kill them until they had been properly saved, at which point the organic bits could be discarded (regardless of whether or not the uploading process is just copying or an actual transfer.)

The point of the mind-wiping is to make sure that they don't return to "sin", since (at least as far as the robots are aware) organics are "imperfectly programmed" and therefore susceptible to it. So, simple drugging probably wouldn't be effective, since it leaves the risk of the victim coming out of the trance. However, the use of drugs to actually perform the mind wipe is something I'll certainly consider as a limitation of the machines' ability to actually wipe the mind (the other alternative being to perform lobotomies from Hell...).

Likewise, mind uploading would do the opposite of the robots' goal - to cleanse the universe of sin - since it would be introducing sin-prone consciousnesses to robotic mental constructs. However, uploaded minds could be used for extracting data, like where more organics can be found; memory-copying would thus be yet another interesting twist.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 pm

YellowApple wrote:Likewise, mind uploading would do the opposite of the robots' goal - to cleanse the universe of sin - since it would be introducing sin-prone consciousnesses to robotic mental constructs. However, uploaded minds could be used for extracting data, like where more organics can be found; memory-copying would thus be yet another interesting twist.
A mental upload makes it far easier to manipulate the mind to remove the sin. Maybe that could be a future direction - after a high-profile failure of the chemical or surgical "treatment" employed against organics, the machines decide the "only way" to be sure of removing sin without having to kill the sinners is to upload the minds to machines in order to edit them and destroy the organic bodies. That might also result in a greater readiness to resort to high velocity space rocks for difficult cases. It would also give the angle that the machines see organics as too complicated and difficult to manipulate, which is one I haven't seen in other franchises.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
YellowApple wrote:Likewise, mind uploading would do the opposite of the robots' goal - to cleanse the universe of sin - since it would be introducing sin-prone consciousnesses to robotic mental constructs. However, uploaded minds could be used for extracting data, like where more organics can be found; memory-copying would thus be yet another interesting twist.
A mental upload makes it far easier to manipulate the mind to remove the sin. Maybe that could be a future direction - after a high-profile failure of the chemical or surgical "treatment" employed against organics, the machines decide the "only way" to be sure of removing sin without having to kill the sinners is to upload the minds to machines in order to edit them and destroy the organic bodies. That might also result in a greater readiness to resort to high velocity space rocks for difficult cases. It would also give the angle that the machines see organics as too complicated and difficult to manipulate, which is one I haven't seen in other franchises.

Perhaps a temporary upload for reprogramming purposes would be okay. I do like the angle of considering the organics to be excessively complex, though that also reeks of the whole "humans always win because they're special for some weird and contrived reason" trope. The justifications of doing it that way are also sound.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 pm

YellowApple wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:A mental upload makes it far easier to manipulate the mind to remove the sin. Maybe that could be a future direction - after a high-profile failure of the chemical or surgical "treatment" employed against organics, the machines decide the "only way" to be sure of removing sin without having to kill the sinners is to upload the minds to machines in order to edit them and destroy the organic bodies. That might also result in a greater readiness to resort to high velocity space rocks for difficult cases. It would also give the angle that the machines see organics as too complicated and difficult to manipulate, which is one I haven't seen in other franchises.

Perhaps a temporary upload for reprogramming purposes would be okay. I do like the angle of considering the organics to be excessively complex, though that also reeks of the whole "humans always win because they're special for some weird and contrived reason" trope. The justifications of doing it that way are also sound.

There is no reason to think that this would work. You can not up-load a mind, edit it, and redownload it with the fixes. Brains do not work that way. The only way to change the mind that is in the brain is to edit the neurons because that's all the mind is: neurons chatting with neurons. You have to reconfigure the neurons. Based on what you're talking about doing, you would still need surgery.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives