NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 pm

GWACA wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:
Those would get you laughed out of anything. I'm saying that if an nBSG based nation were to go up against a WH40K nation they would have an equal chance of winning based on Code of Bro. It takes a lot of OOC communication to make it work out. No one will respect you if you strap a laser to a shuttle. If you have a well thought out nation that just happens to be technically unadvanced then Code of Bro kicks in to make it work via OOC communication.

So what your saying is that even though my guns might as well be peas shooters when put against their armor i'll still be able to kill them?

If that's what the plot entails.

You see, NationStates RP - especially in the FT realm - isn't about "winning" or "losing"; rather, it's about writing a good story. To write a good story, you need to communicate with the other authors of that story (your fellow RPers). Through that communication, you work out at least a general idea of how the story plays out.

Of course, I personally encourage realism (both technological and logical), but Rule of Cool is acceptable in FT (at least more so than it is in MT and PMT).

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm

GWACA wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:
Those would get you laughed out of anything. I'm saying that if an nBSG based nation were to go up against a WH40K nation they would have an equal chance of winning based on Code of Bro. It takes a lot of OOC communication to make it work out. No one will respect you if you strap a laser to a shuttle. If you have a well thought out nation that just happens to be technically unadvanced then Code of Bro kicks in to make it work via OOC communication.

So what your saying is that even though my guns might as well be peas shooters when put against their armor i'll still be able to kill them?

You can do it. It requires mutual respect between players. Honestly, I would say, no to the smaller guns, but if you break out some of your heavier machine guns they should penetrate if the WH40K player is not being a prat and insisting that his Spess Mhrines are unbeatable juggernauts.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

The Legion of War
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Hey my nation is based of the UNSC from Halo, but with a twist. It was overthrown by an Authortatian government shortly after the Human - Covenant war.

The new government believes in a "Human Master Species" and will do anything to protect humanity, even "from itself". Anything goes win the Legion of War. War is war, and they strive to win. There's more about this in my factbook.

ANYWAYS, I was wondering... What do I do about Earth and the colonies inside our solar system? Other FT nations claim they have colonies on Mars for example. The UNSC colonized the Jupiter moons, Mars, and obviously inhabit Earth. What should I do about other nations claims to these planetary bodies?
Last edited by The Legion of War on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Stuff:
This nation does NOT represent my real life views.
The FT Nation Index, making it easier for FT players to connect.

OCC Stuff:
Pro: Everything you hate
Con: Everything you love
Info: Straight Hispanic Male, Canadian. Speaks fluent Spanish and English, and some French. If you speak French, I'd love to have someone to practice with, even if it is just typing. Same deal with Spanish.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

The Legion of War wrote:Hey my nation is based of the UNSC from Halo, but with a twist. It was overthrown by an Authortatian government shortly after the Human - Covenant war.

The new government believes in a "Human Master Species" and will do anything to protect humanity, even "from itself". Anything goes win the Legion of War. War is war, and they strive to win. There's more about this in my factbook.

ANYWAYS, I was wondering... What do I do about Earth and the colonies inside our solar system? Other FT nations claim they have colonies on Mars for example. The UNSC colonized the Jupiter moons, Mars, and obviously inhabit Earth. What should I do about other nations claims to these planetary bodies?

NSFT operates under the assumption that the entire Sol system is fractal, meaning that the rough physical volume and location that the solar system inhabits in the Milky Way has a nigh-infinite number of parallel Sol systems stacked within it. Depending on how one 'approaches' the Sol system, you can end up at any one of the parallel Sols. Conversely, the inhabitants of any of those particular Sol systems, when exiting the Sol 'volume', will all exit into the same Milky Way galaxy as one another. It's perfectly reasonable that you could inhabit one of those parallel Sols and be another Earth-based nation.

Alternatively, and less-confusingly, you could just invoke Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development and have a seperate, identical version of the Sol system in a different location of your choosing in the Milky Way, without having to mess about with the multiversal Sol-Prime system.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 pm

The Legion of War wrote:Hey my nation is based of the UNSC from Halo, but with a twist. It was overthrown by an Authortatian government shortly after the Human - Covenant war.

Oh the irony; it sure would be interesting to see the effects of two nations fighting each other when both of them believe their own races to be the master races.

As for your question, I wouldn't worry about it. The NationStates universe is highly fractal and multiversal, so - by the very nature of NationStates - there are many different nations that RP with partial or complete possession of existing planetary bodies (or even entire systems).

Avenio wrote:

NSFT operates under the assumption that the entire Sol system is fractal, meaning that the rough physical volume and location that the solar system inhabits in the Milky Way has a nigh-infinite number of parallel Sol systems stacked within it. Depending on how one 'approaches' the Sol system, you can end up at any one of the parallel Sols. Conversely, the inhabitants of any of those particular Sol systems, when exiting the Sol 'volume', will all exit into the same Milky Way galaxy as one another. It's perfectly reasonable that you could inhabit one of those parallel Sols and be another Earth-based nation.

Alternatively, and less-confusingly, you could just invoke Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development and have a seperate, identical version of the Sol system in a different location of your choosing in the Milky Way, without having to mess about with the multiversal Sol-Prime system.

Damn you and your ninja'ing.

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

In addition to Avenio's post (which really covers pretty much everything), you can also use the Multiversal state of things, with multiple universes and thus multiple iterations of Earth and its history. Not really that big a thing, but still a possibility.
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
At that point, I'd call that metagaming abuse of Code of Bro. Now you're completely ignoring not only relative tech differences, but more importantly play style differences. Space Marines are extremely difficult to kill in order to balance out the fact that there are so few of them. If you start claiming to be able to kill them with small arms and a host of flak jacketed marines, I for one would just walk out. What's the point of playing if even flavor differences get tossed aside in favor of a magic Code that automatically makes everyone equal and wipes out differences? No real point putting any thought into a nation or a military then, I'll just slap a laser on my shuttle and call it a battleship via Code of Bro.

Right. Because clearly your interpretation of what the code should mean is the only interpretation possible. And like the Norquist Tax Pledge, everyone here's signed a sworn affidavit supporting it when they made their FT nation. Or perhaps Highlander, there can only be one?

The very response you gave pointed out how terribly arbitrary it is. You say there needs to be some 'thought,' to prevent people from doing dumb things like sticking lasers on shuttles or issuing their men .22LR single-shot pistols to fight Space Marines. But then when a player asks for advice on how to deal with a new challenge, you tell him not to bother thinking, not to bother trying to adapt, just do what he always does and put 'Code of Bro' on autocast and assume everything will turn out fine. In which case one player starts unilaterally imposing his rules on the other, which would seem to be somewhat against the code as claimed.

Kreanoltha wrote:
GWACA wrote:

You can do it. It requires mutual respect between players. Honestly, I would say, no to the smaller guns, but if you break out some of your heavier machine guns they should penetrate if the WH40K player is not being a prat and insisting that his Spess Mhrines are unbeatable juggernauts.

And then you tell him that he should in fact adapt, and do basically the same thing you criticized me for recommending earlier. Because that's totally consistent. "Don't use bigger guns, just demand he accept your smaller guns," followed by a rather rapid "Actually, use bigger guns."
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Interstellar America
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Interstellar America » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Alternatively as well you can just claim The Sol and move on and not worry about trivialities ala myself and a few others.
The United Systems of America
The United Nations of Earth
FT

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Interstellar America wrote:Alternatively as well you can just claim The Sol and move on and not worry about trivialities ala myself and a few others.

In which case you would likely not be in the same continuity as the rest of the NSFT 'verse, which is rather the point of his question.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Well, you can just claim the solar system and leave it to other people to figure out how to reconcile things. Of course that doesn't work if you're RPing with someone else who also ignores the issue in that way.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Avenio wrote:
Interstellar America wrote:Alternatively as well you can just claim The Sol and move on and not worry about trivialities ala myself and a few others.

In which case you would likely not be in the same continuity as the rest of the NSFT 'verse, which is rather the point of his question.

In which case I point you to my post. Since there are a plethora of NSFTers that probably claim all of Sol as their own exclusively, it wouldn't really be taboo for him to do the same.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 pm

On a sidenote, am I the only FT person who has a presence on Earth without claiming the entire planet if not the entire solar system?

Interstellar America
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Interstellar America » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:20 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:On a sidenote, am I the only FT person who has a presence on Earth without claiming the entire planet if not the entire solar system?

No, hello.
FT

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Avenio wrote:

In which case I point you to my post. Since there are a plethora of NSFTers that probably claim all of Sol as their own exclusively, it wouldn't really be taboo for him to do the same.

You're missing the point. As I understood Interstellar America's post, she claims to have the one and only Sol - Sol Prime, if you will. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but she is also apparently not recognizing the existence of the fractal Sol convention, which excludes a number of very old Alpha Quadrant powers and thus she can't exist in the broader NSFT universe, since you can't really ignore peoples' existence and expect to be in the same universe as everyone.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:04 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:On a sidenote, am I the only FT person who has a presence on Earth without claiming the entire planet if not the entire solar system?

Nope. I still RP it like it is now: with a crapton of individual nations fighting with each other.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Hello
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Interstellar America
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Interstellar America » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Avenio wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

You're missing the point. As I understood Interstellar America's post, she claims to have the one and only Sol - Sol Prime, if you will. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but she is also apparently not recognizing the existence of the fractal Sol convention, which excludes a number of very old Alpha Quadrant powers and thus she can't exist in the broader NSFT universe, since you can't really ignore peoples' existence and expect to be in the same universe as everyone.

Calling me irrelevant is sort of unfair once one remembers those "older powers" are hardly, if at all active.
FT

The Legion of War
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 pm

YellowApple wrote:

Oh the irony; it sure would be interesting to see the effects of two nations fighting each other when both of them believe their own races to be the master races.
Not race, species. The Legion of War doesn't discriminate between skin colour, religous, sexual orientation, etc. If you are a human, you are destined to rule the galaxy...
IC Stuff:

OCC Stuff:
Info: Straight Hispanic Male, Canadian. Speaks fluent Spanish and English, and some French. If you speak French, I'd love to have someone to practice with, even if it is just typing. Same deal with Spanish.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Avenio wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Then the answer is to not be in the same universe as everyone. That's how it works in the rest of NationStates RP, and I don't imagine NSFT is and/or should be any different.

The Legion of War wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
Not race, species. The Legion of War doesn't discriminate between skin colour, religous, sexual orientation, etc. If you are a human, you are destined to rule the galaxy...

That's what I mean by "race"; I don't imagine myself to be the only FTer that defines "race" and "species" as effectively synonymous...

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm

The Legion of War wrote:Not race, species. The Legion of War doesn't discriminate between skin colour, religous, sexual orientation, etc. If you are a human, you are destined to rule the galaxy...
Evidence suggests that's true, but only because humans breed like nymphomaniac rabbits.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:02 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
The Legion of War wrote:Not race, species. The Legion of War doesn't discriminate between skin colour, religous, sexual orientation, etc. If you are a human, you are destined to rule the galaxy...
Evidence suggests that's true, but only because humans breed like nymphomaniac rabbits.

Breeding like nymphomaniac rabbits best breeding.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Interstellar America wrote:Calling me irrelevant is sort of unfair once one remembers those "older powers" are hardly, if at all active.

I didn't call you irrelevant. What I said was that ignoring the existing history and setting of NSFT as a setting and 'canon' makes it really difficult, if not impossible, to interact with those who set themselves in that history (ie the NSFT community), as your nation's history and setting contradicts the foundation upon which the community was built.

Which is not to say that you can't go ahead and claim your own history independent of NSFT, of course, but that doing so does have consequences as to who you can RP with.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Avenio wrote:
Interstellar America wrote:Calling me irrelevant is sort of unfair once one remembers those "older powers" are hardly, if at all active.

I didn't call you irrelevant. What I said was that ignoring the existing history and setting of NSFT as a setting and 'canon' makes it really difficult, if not impossible, to interact with those who set themselves in that history (ie the NSFT community), as your nation's history and setting contradicts the foundation upon which the community was built.

Which is not to say that you can't go ahead and claim your own history independent of NSFT, of course, but that doing so does have consequences as to who you can RP with.

This is generally why I advise people to make their own history independent off Earth. That way they can be from some unexplored region of space and not have to worry about stepping on established canon.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

The Legion of War
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 pm

YellowApple wrote:

That's what I mean by "race"; I don't imagine myself to be the only FTer that defines "race" and "species" as effectively synonymous...

Doesn't mean they actually are. I could get into the scientific definition of a spceies... But to save time species and race are not true synonyms.

Please don't think I am trying to call you dumb when I say "save time". It's just late here and I need my sleep.
IC Stuff:

OCC Stuff:

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 pm

The Legion of War wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Doesn't mean they actually are. I could get into the scientific definition of a spceies... But to save time species and race are not true synonyms.

Please don't think I am trying to call you dumb when I say "save time". It's just late here and I need my sleep.

YellowApple wrote: I don't imagine myself to be the only FTer that defines "race" and "species" as effectively synonymous...

Note that bolded word: 'effectively'. Meaning that even though they have distinct definitions (though the RL definition of 'race' is fuzzy to begin with, since unlike 'species', 'race' is not a scientifically-significant descriptor), the connotations are equivalent, since the many 'species' of NSFT are to NSFT's population as a whole as the many 'races' of RL are to the RL population as a whole, and are thus used equivalently around these parts.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives