NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Avenio wrote:So it's electrical conduction via the metal. Which is not plasma. It's not an ionized gas conducting the energy. I'm really not seeing why this is so difficult for you to understand.
The metal is heated by the current so much that it turns into plasma, and continues conducting the current. I'm really not seeing why this is so difficult for you to understand.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Nova Atlantis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Atlantis » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:27 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:I'm going to say yes. True, it's an invincible shield, but only in a certain direction. Also, *cough* interdiction *cough*

Likewise, depending on how close/quickly you open that wormhole, a ship using a similar type of wormhole/subspace drive has a window of opportunity to escape to safety. I'd say, as long as there's wiggle room, you're fine to do whatever you want.
Formerly Atlantian Outcasts. Member of NS since 05/15/2003
Current IC population: 250 million. Tech level: FT
Atlantis Factbook
Exceeding our reach--the prologue to the upcoming Shadow of Dreams arc

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Avenio wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:Lightning the Biggest jolt's carries million's of volt's and million's of amps.

Lightning very different from a taser.

Yes Im Biop wrote:But to my point. The thin wire will for a millisecond or so before melting into white hot slag

So it's electrical conduction via the metal. Which is not plasma. It's not an ionized gas conducting the energy. I'm really not seeing why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Why are you obsessed with a Tazer?

Which will turn into plasma the second the jolt hit's it.

Thank you square
Last edited by Yes Im Biop on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Essos
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Essos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:39 pm

New Azura wrote:Hey guys. I've been rather desperate to break into future tech for some time now, having attempted (and failed) to do so on at least three or four occasions since 2010. Here over the past two weeks, I've had the fortunate of working with an old pal of mine, Rethan in the roleplay Securing a Future, which is basically serving not only to service a storyline Rethan's working on, but also as the introduction to my FT race, the Nicyl. The start of my factbook on them was lobotomized with the recent IIWiki crash unfortunately, so pretty much everything I have is being developed as I go in this thread or others that may come. I have three posts in the thread so far—if anyone could give me a critique or a few pointers, it would be more than welcome.

As I post this though, I wanted to talk about something that's endemic it seems to a lot of other people trying to break into the FT scene. I've been growing and developing a bunch of different mythologies for my nations in the MT area since late 2009, and have always struggled mightily with including technology or strategy into posts. In other words, because I lack the basic knowledge of military hardware or formations, my posts have always been geared towards looking at characters more so than the nation as a whole. My mythos' have changed more than a dozen times, but I have a slew of characters (Caius Anaximander, Calixte) that are sort of like my bread and butter. Well, my entry into FT has proven more of the same.

I love watching and reading good sci-fi offsite in real life, but I have never taken the time to learn some of the conventions or understand the technology behind it. As such, I've tried to focus in on characterization again, but this seems to be like the mark of death to other FTers. No matter how hard I've tried in the past, I seem to sputter along by myself for a few weeks before giving up the ghost and going back to MT, where at least I'm known enough to have some people who want to participate. Outside of sitting down and learning the science behind FTL or weapons systems that seem to dominate FT these days, how can someone without that knowledge still integrate into the community without looking like a complete jackass, or write at such a pathetic level so as to drive away anyone that would want to write with them?

Knowledge of physics is really a secondary requirement. More important is persistence and and having an engaging story. I've never finished a thread in something like 7 years on NS, but I continue to post, because I enjoy it. More important than anything else, don't give up.

If you're really concerned about physics, or weapons or other such things, I suggest posting specific questions that you have, and we'll see what we can do to help.

Nova Atlantis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Atlantis » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:50 pm

New Azura wrote:-snip-

You know, I've been in your position for most of my existence on NS at this point---my presence seems to be a kiss of death on threads. Most dry up by page two or three (a big one by Steel Butterfly/Gholgoth I was invited to didn't make it past page one). Like you, I've never been much one for studying the actual Hard Sci-fi tech. I've always been a soft sci-fi. If I had to label myself a genre, I'd probably consider myself 'action-adventure'.

But...here's a thought. If this problem is so endemic, have we ever considered what it would take to mitigate it? Maybe more long-term group brainstorming or something? Does FT still do long-planned-out arcs like it used to?
Formerly Atlantian Outcasts. Member of NS since 05/15/2003
Current IC population: 250 million. Tech level: FT
Atlantis Factbook
Exceeding our reach--the prologue to the upcoming Shadow of Dreams arc

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Nova Atlantis wrote:
New Azura wrote:-snip-

You know, I've been in your position for most of my existence on NS at this point---my presence seems to be a kiss of death on threads. Most dry up by page two or three (a big one by Steel Butterfly/Gholgoth I was invited to didn't make it past page one). Like you, I've never been much one for studying the actual Hard Sci-fi tech. I've always been a soft sci-fi. If I had to label myself a genre, I'd probably consider myself 'action-adventure'.

But...here's a thought. If this problem is so endemic, have we ever considered what it would take to mitigate it? Maybe more long-term group brainstorming or something? Does FT still do long-planned-out arcs like it used to?

That sounds like something I'm interested in. I know some of the older players in MT-PMT still do something along this line, i.e. a semi-planed out thread with a few invited players.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Daskoxian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Daskoxian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Nova Atlantis wrote:

That sounds like something I'm interested in. I know some of the older players in MT-PMT still do something along this line, i.e. a semi-planed out thread with a few invited players.

MWRP was doing that for Alone in the Darkness, but the group dissolved 10-20 pages through and the RP was abandoned. It was good while it lasted, though.

Essos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Daskoxian wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

MWRP was doing that for Alone in the Darkness, but the group dissolved 10-20 pages through and the RP was abandoned. It was good while it lasted, though.

Actually it was absolute garbage. Short posts, terrible grammar, and the presence of undesirable posters basically left the thread a hideous train wreck waiting to happen.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:02 pm

For those looking for a long arc story, I'm working on something atm. So far, track record for completion hasn't been great, but with the final two threads of the arc I hope to have a better result. If you want to be involved, I can put you on a list of people to contact when it begins, or you can watch this thread here.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:02 pm

My own experience has been that most RPs dwindle and die rather than coming to a proper end, so I kind of expect it.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Essos wrote:
Daskoxian wrote:MWRP was doing that for Alone in the Darkness, but the group dissolved 10-20 pages through and the RP was abandoned. It was good while it lasted, though.

Actually it was absolute garbage. Short posts, terrible grammar, and the presence of undesirable posters basically left the thread a hideous train wreck waiting to happen.

You love insuling people how have you lasted long?
Yeah that RP would of been if it hadent died
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Daskoxian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Daskoxian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Essos wrote:
Daskoxian wrote:MWRP was doing that for Alone in the Darkness, but the group dissolved 10-20 pages through and the RP was abandoned. It was good while it lasted, though.

I was mostly focusing on Hlad, Saur, Krean, Dolm, TheFall, and I. Which was the majority, I believe.
/threadjack

EDIT: And Trin.
Last edited by Daskoxian on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Essos wrote:

I can concur with that as I was a member of the garbage. It was absolutely horrible.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Korvos
Envoy

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Korvos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 pm

So, I was alerted by some experienced roleplayers that I really need to work on the length of my posts. I agree completely with that, but I don't know how to. Help, please?
Last edited by Korvos on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Essos
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Essos » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Korvos wrote:So, I was alerted by some experienced roleplayers that I really need to work on the length of my posts. I agree completely with that, but I don't know how to. Help, please?

Recall, my suggestion was to look at what other people are posting, and look at what you're posting. Compare the two and see what you need to do to get up to the sort of posts others are making.

Rethan wrote:For those looking for a long arc story, I'm working on something atm. So far, track record for completion hasn't been great, but with the final two threads of the arc I hope to have a better result. If you want to be involved, I can put you on a list of people to contact when it begins, or you can watch this thread here.

Alert me at need. I know I contributed to one thread falling apart, but I was not alone in that failure, and feel only minimal guilt.

Dolmhold
Minister

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolmhold » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:I can concur with that as I was a member of the garbage. It was absolutely horrible.

I did join MWS to RP FT. I learned about 10% of how to RP there, mostly from outside sources.

I then joined FT-Bravo. Now I'm at where I am right now.

Looking back, the MWS RP group had a severe lack of standards, for one, and a lack of tyrants to stamp out godmodding and bad RPing. As I was under some kind of "follow the general trend" feel with the thread and group, you can see what my RPing was there, and the lolzy techwank I did. It was akin to the Flaming Wombat in quality and consistancy, which was not too much of a surprise since Hlad was a Wombat regular. There were no good models to follow/look up to, that is until Miehm, RT and the like sort of threadjacked it.

Overall, the quality of the RPs were garbage, although I have seen worse at times, and totally incoherant. I had so many run-on sentences that should rightfully be split into separate sentences that... ugg... I can't read any of what I wrote back then out loud. Overall, MWS was not a good group. For newcomers to FT, may I suggest NOT joining up in a band of other newcomers and instead joining a RP with someone who has more experience in RPing? It goes a long way.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:20 pm

I enjoyed the one MW RP I was involved in, Awakening Flames, but it didn't really fit what I'm looking to do with my nation in general with how off-the-charts the power scale was.

As for writing quality, well I think we'll all look back on stuff we wrote previously and wonder what on Earth we were thinking.

Daskoxian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Daskoxian » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Dolmhold wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:I can concur with that as I was a member of the garbage. It was absolutely horrible.

I did join MWS to RP FT. I learned about 10% of how to RP there, mostly from outside sources.

Looking back, the MWS RP group had a severe lack of standards, for one, and a lack of tyrants to stamp out godmodding and bad RPing. As I was under some kind of "follow the general trend" feel with the thread and group, you can see what my RPing was there, and the lolzy techwank I did. It was akin to the Flaming Wombat in quality and consistancy, which was not too much of a surprise since Hlad was a Wombat regular. There were no good models to follow/look up to, that is until Miehm, RT and the like sort of threadjacked.

Overall, the quality of the RPs were garbage, although I have seen worse at times, and totally incoherant. I had so many run-on sentences that should rightfully be split into separate sentences that... ugg... I can't read any of what I wrote back then out loud. Overall, MWS was not a good group. For newcomers to FT, may I suggest NOT joining up in a band of other newcomers and instead joining a RP with someone who has more experience in RPing? It goes a long way.

It was like an opium den…

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:25 pm

I wasn't scarred too badly. . .

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Dolmhold wrote:

Looking back, the MWS RP group had a severe lack of standards, for one, and a lack of tyrants to stamp out godmodding and bad RPing. As I was under some kind of "follow the general trend" feel with the thread and group, you can see what my RPing was there, and the lolzy techwank I did. It was akin to the Flaming Wombat in quality and consistancy, which was not too much of a surprise since Hlad was a Wombat regular. There were no good models to follow/look up to, that is until Miehm, RT and the like sort of threadjacked it.

I remember when I joined Awakening Flames I was concerned the tech level was too low relative to what I normally ran. But within a page, it grew so large, I didn't want to bother expanding my nation to fit, so I stopped posting.

Although when it comes to bad RP, there's a 'certain' alt history thread here in II that I think deserves to be up there.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Korvos wrote:So, I was alerted by some experienced roleplayers that I really need to work on the length of my posts. I agree completely with that, but I don't know how to. Help, please?

Since no one seemed to try to help out here, I'll toss in my two bits.

As the others mentioned yeah, it does help to look at what others do. Generally it gives you a rough idea of what to look for in terms of quality posts, as generally they are quality posts. Try to work up towards them but at the same time, take your own spin on it. No one wants the same rehashed post over and over from different sources. Put your own views, opinions and interests to give it your own flavor and taste to it. It'll leave a better impact for everyone else.

Also, try to expand on little things you could use. Like, in FT it really helps to better explain technology that your society functions on and give a bit of a hint towards how it impacted your society, the reactions of your people, as well as gradual changes and refinements. However, try to not go too in depth. It can help and add some flavor to your post, not to mention length, but it can easily become something as bland as a college thesis. Use it to add flavor.

Expand on your characters. Show a slight nervous tic they have. Perhaps Johnny is all fine and dandy but he has a particular habit of throwing salt whenever he sneezes. Create a history about him/her/it. Make the character feel like someone you could meet. The easiest way is through character development but you only really see that later on in the roleplay. Add little bits of their personality. It really goes a long way.

Really, focus on what you can add to the roleplay to make it more interesting. Add that little bit of political intrigue or drama that everyone seems to love. Go into explicit detail about a character's appearance or their equipment. Hope this helps!
Factbook in progress

Military lSociety l History l Steel Confessor Tenet Booklet

"Steel, is by its very nature is the most secure and protective material that mankind has produced. It can be bent into shapes, made into wire, forged into plate and weapons. It is versatile as flesh but stronger. It is humanity's next evolution and thus a facet of the divine" -Steel Confessor Tenet I

An avowed believer in Mankind's own divinity. This does not mean I believe in a god. Just us.

Fuck it, might as well do one of these. I am a pansexual male, Egalitarian, Progressive Fascist, Humanist, and a Major in the United States Army.

Fearing the Future only leaves us with stone tools.

Vernii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2008
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Vernii » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:42 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Is multiteraton antimatter missiles in the 950 teraton range, and fired in ten thousand missile salvos, ussualy several hundred salvos in a matter of minutes, accompanied by fighters weilding multigigaton directed nuclear weapons, wormhole generators, singularity generators, and sectional sheilding capable of withstanding 5 exatons of energy considered weak, or overpowered for a single titan class vessel? Especcially since the other rapid fire weapons are in the muiltiterraton range, and the forward weapons are potentially in the exaton range, while the defenses are designed to take out millions of missiles at a time?

You can do whatever you want, the rest of us are under no obligation to deal with it though.

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 pm

New Terran Union wrote:I meant the following:
Would using a wormhole generator to generate wormhole with the "entrance" infront of an enemy ship, and the "exit" in front of a black hole; there by having the blackhole suck the enemy in, be an okay tool?

No, the gravity well of the black hole would cause the wormhole to collapse.

New Terran Union wrote:Would using a wormhole generator to allow quick transit of a reserve fleet ontoo the battlefield as reinforcements be okay?

In theory but the FT community considers that a dick move and frowns upon it. It takes time to transition through a wormhole, for fair play sake. It is not instant travel. Even the Ta'Nar takes ten minutes to travel through theirs and they have been at it since OOC 2004, an IC equivalent of thousands of years by some scales

New Terran Union wrote:Would using a wormhole as a defensive tool by creating a tunnel in space, "wormhole", to interdict enemy fire and move it away from the vessel by having the exit of the wormhole facing away from the vessl, be okey?

I've had the concept in use for many RL years for my Ta'Nar, I call it the Mobius Aperture. The Ta'Nar might consider your attempt to imitate their defensive maneuver as either a complement or an attempt to copy them. Depending upon the situation and their reaction, the results might be quite funny to behold. Remember if you do this you cannot fire your weapons because they are also blocked, and as pointed out above, a gravity source would cause the aperture to collapse releasing that energy all over your freshly washed space ship. Think of the stains.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Is multiteraton antimatter missiles in the 950 teraton range, and fired in ten thousand missile salvos, ussualy several hundred salvos in a matter of minutes, accompanied by fighters weilding multigigaton directed nuclear weapons, wormhole generators, singularity generators, and sectional sheilding capable of withstanding 5 exatons of energy considered weak, or overpowered for a single titan class vessel? Especcially since the other rapid fire weapons are in the muiltiterraton range, and the forward weapons are potentially in the exaton range, while the defenses are designed to take out millions of missiles at a time?

Yield inflation much? I mean, do you even grasp the scale of the numbers you're throwing out?
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Would using a wormhole generator to allow quick transit of a reserve fleet ontoo the battlefield as reinforcements be okay?

I'm personally okay with this to an extent. I do RP with a sprawling network of permanent wormholes (a.k.a. "static superluminal transit nodes"), as well as wormhole-based FTL ("dynamic superluminal transit"). However, I almost always apply Murphy's Law and make sure that something goes wrong if I'm using dynamic wormholes (most commonly, some glitch occurs where the contents of the wormhole-based transmission are pushed either forward or backward in time and/or in a completely different universe, therefore causing substantial delays), and even the static ones will occasionally fail (usually, they'll lose their main power and run on a battery backup, giving enough time for anyone/anything already in them to exit and for the node to be sealed off before power is cut completely). I also implement charging times on these dynamic wormholes - after all, creating two interconnected black holes large enough to not spaghettify a ship and stable enough to not collapse and slice the ship in two and at anywhere near my intended target takes quite a bit of energy.

Another restriction I impose upon myself is accuracy. Since I'd be reaching a destination faster than said destination's light is reaching my original position, there's not only a significant calculation cost as I have to precisely compute where the star I'm seeing now is located several hundred/thousand/million/billion years from when the light was first transmitted, but also the unlikelihood of actually reaching that position accurately via line-of-sight alone. Building a static node works around this issue, but at the cost of getting the necessary materials and engineering brainpower to that distant location, which takes quite a bit of time to do.

Basically, this would all depend on who you're RPing with; while I'm totally cool with it, others will, as Balrogga pointed out, consider it a dick move to just warp in a bunch of ships out of nowhere. My recommendation is that - if you do go this route - definitely impose some limitations and apply the Code of Bro.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives