NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:Toss away your science and run on rule of cool. Survival in space purely on solar power might be possible,

Not really. Pigments tend not to do so well in vacuum.

SquareDisc City wrote:but to grow an organism needs to take in matter, and space is known for its lack of such.

Very much so.

SquareDisc City wrote:Now an atmosphere-less planet is another mater. Provided there's a suitable solvent life could exist.

Underground, perhaps. But not on the airless surface itself.

SquareDisc City wrote:In a vacuum any liquid will tend to either freeze or boil, but it could be replenished from geological sources.

The liquids would flash-boil too quickly for anything more complicated than the most basic hydrocarbons to form.

SquareDisc City wrote:The organism's skin and general physiology might well be designed to minimise fluid losses; perhaps it could be waxy like certain plants.

Wouldn't work - the pressure of the water would be too strong in anything of macrological size and the organism would rupture.

SquareDisc City wrote:If warm-blooded it would not need as fast a metabolism as life on Earth since there'd be no air to cool it.
And of course it can't breathe, it would have to take in everything it needs from either solid or liquid substances.

The fact that it's metabolism is restricted to chemolithoautotrophy means that the most sophisticated lifeform that could possibly evolve is pond scum.

Strykla wrote:Who says life is constrained by earthly rules? In the book Blindsight, you had aliens that ate magnetic fields.

Well, ran off them.

The aliens in Blindsight were based on organic chemistry. A hardier version than ours, but still following the same principles.

Yes Im Biop wrote:Suck in enough energy and it could force its self to mutate

Hnngngnggghhhhhhh
Last edited by Avenio on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:12 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
A wonderful thing.

That brings up an interesting question, though; what considerations would need to be taken to establish the feasibility of an organism that lives in the vacuum of space as its natural habitat? Based on things like space activity suits in real life, as well as the amount of radiation in space, I imagine an exoskeletal organism would have a better chance of survival, but that's just wild speculation.

Toss away your science and run on rule of cool. Survival in space purely on solar power might be possible, but to grow an organism needs to take in matter, and space is known for its lack of such.

Now an atmosphere-less planet is another mater. Provided there's a suitable solvent life could exist. In a vacuum any liquid will tend to either freeze or boil, but it could be replenished from geological sources. The organism's skin and general physiology might well be designed to minimise fluid losses; perhaps it could be waxy like certain plants. If warm-blooded it would not need as fast a metabolism as life on Earth since there'd be no air to cool it. And of course it can't breathe, it would have to take in everything it needs from either solid or liquid substances.

I was thinking bugs that make hives in ultra-low-gravity asteroids - or better yet comets, which tend to have quite a bit of organic building blocks in their composition - and consume the contents of the small celestial body for food and process it with solar energy (or something. I dunno.).

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Old Sarthal
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Sarthal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:36 pm

YellowApple wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:
Toss away your science and run on rule of cool. Survival in space purely on solar power might be possible, but to grow an organism needs to take in matter, and space is known for its lack of such.

Now an atmosphere-less planet is another mater. Provided there's a suitable solvent life could exist. In a vacuum any liquid will tend to either freeze or boil, but it could be replenished from geological sources. The organism's skin and general physiology might well be designed to minimise fluid losses; perhaps it could be waxy like certain plants. If warm-blooded it would not need as fast a metabolism as life on Earth since there'd be no air to cool it. And of course it can't breathe, it would have to take in everything it needs from either solid or liquid substances.

I was thinking bugs that make hives in ultra-low-gravity asteroids - or better yet comets, which tend to have quite a bit of organic building blocks in their composition - and consume the contents of the small celestial body for food and process it with solar energy (or something. I dunno.).

Those are the space bees. Get your facts right.
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59
19:49 AzuraI piss excellence.

Yortini Systems wrote:God, yes, yes!
Soroi Athlai [FT]
Sarthasian Republics [MT]
Proud Member of FT-Bravo Roleplay Group
I may be a schemer, but I'm not the only one.

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Old Sarthal wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

But that implies that there's space honey.

Conclusion: space tastes fucking delicious.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:48 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Old Sarthal wrote:

Must be really expensive, and the bee keepers must have a rather "fun" job.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

If by "fun" you mean the Dwarf Fortress definition, then yes.

Then again, I can picture Space Bee Rodeos being popular among Space Cowboys.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:50 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

See you later space cowboys.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:51 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

When "fun" is in quotation marks it always is the Dwarf Fortress definition. Now I am interested in starting a Space Bee Rodeo thread.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

When "fun" is in quotation marks it always is the Dwarf Fortress definition. Now I am interested in starting a Space Bee Rodeo thread.

That would be fun. And also "fun".

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm

The Advice thread is not for casual conversation, it's not for social chatting. This is for people who are either giving advice to players who are unsure about something, or players who are new to FT. This is not a thread for advertising or trying to stir up interest for new threads, that is why people create Interest threads for.

Keep your conversation to IRC channels or F7, and let this thread be used for it's intended purpose to educate new FT players and to help those that have a question.
Last edited by Vocenae on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

"Fun" is even better when its !!FUN!!.

Tangential on topic note so as not to push too many more of Voc's buttons: singularity inducing missiles!

What are their likely effects? I posit jamming devices due to the radiation and particle levels you're likely to get off of easily manufacturing singularities, but I've heard some RPers say they go boom. Frankly, that seems absurd. Thoughts?
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Vocenae wrote:The Advice thread is not for casual conversation, it's not for social chatting. This is for people who are either giving advice to players who are unsure about something, or players who are new to FT. This is not a thread for advertising or trying to stir up interest for new threads, that is why people create Interest threads for.

Keep your conversation to IRC channels or F7, and let this thread be used for it's intended purpose to educate new FT players and to help those that have a question.

Sorry for having fun every once in awhile.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Tangential on topic note so as not to push too many more of Voc's buttons: singularity inducing missiles!

What are their likely effects? I posit jamming devices due to the radiation and particle levels you're likely to get off of easily manufacturing singularities, but I've heard some RPers say they go boom. Frankly, that seems absurd. Thoughts?

They probably wouldn't go "boom"; rather, I suspect they'd go "crunch".

As for jamming, you might actually get a bit of an EMP effect if you keep the singularity zero-dimensional - i.e. a magnetic monopole. I imagine that could mess with any electronics that aren't sufficiently shielded.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 pm

YellowApple wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:"Fun" is even better when its !!FUN!!.

They probably wouldn't go "boom"; rather, I suspect they'd go "crunch".

As for jamming, you might actually get a bit of an EMP effect if you keep the singularity zero-dimensional - i.e. a magnetic monopole. I imagine that could mess with any electronics that aren't sufficiently shielded.

More I came across this post during a forum-dive, and hence have formed several ideas about singularity weapons. Some others a la the Fedral Union/the United Terran Alliance seem to think otherwise, and I was wondering what FT in general thought about the topic.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:48 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

It depends. Are you actually somehow compressing a given amount of matter down into a black hole, or are you magically generating some absurdly strong distortion in spacetime mimicking the effects of an extremely large mass in a small area? In the second case, tidal effects will likely rip ships apart if the "singularity" is generated sufficiently close to them. This is fairly obvious and, to be honest, kind of boring.

In the first case, low-mass (hereby defined as less than 1 megatonne) black holes put off spectacular amounts of energy due to hawking radiation. Due to their incredibly small size, and fantastically high "temperature", these low-mass black holes spit out that energy in the form of ludicrously high-energy gamma rays and a zoo of exotic particles which themselves energetically decay on short timescales. There have actually been serious papers written about the prospect of using small black holes for starship engines. Anyways, for weapons use you would want really low-mass black holes, on the order of a thousand tonnes or less. These have lifetimes of a minute or less, and their output increases exponentially as they decay. It takes about 70 seconds for a thousand-tonne black hole to lose half its mass (and at 21 gigatons of yield per ton of mass, that's a lot of energy), and another nine seconds or so for its mass to halve again, still putting out ridiculous amounts of energy at an increasingly high rate. As it starts its final second of life, a black hole has about 250 tonnes of mass left; a second later it will have evaporated completely, but in that final second it will have released some fifty teratons of energy.

Of course, actually creating a low-mass black hole and using it as a weapon would be hellaciously difficult and horribly inefficient.
Last edited by Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

Otagia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Otagia » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 am

In other words, they go boom.
Last edited by Otagia on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:30 am

In a most spectacular fashion.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 am

I have realised (years ago, actually, but just never bothered RPing it) that because nanomachines require a large amount of fuel and are very small and cannot absorb shocks or carry lots of internal fuel, they could possibly be suspended in a viscous jelly that would serve as a support structure for the foglet swarm to build upon.

So, future Gallans evolve into goo girls. Or guys. Or something. Gender and sex identity kind of stops existing when you can grow body parts at will.

This is why I will never have the balls to RP in FT. ):
Last edited by Galla- on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:57 am

The behaviour of a singularity is by definition unpredictable. Singularities are unlikely to actually exist and if a theory predicts their formation in a given situation then that probably means the theory is no good for that situation. Black holes are not the same thing as singularities despite what many authors seem to think. General relativity predicts that black holes contain singularities, and that their unpredictable effects are shielded from the outside Universe by the event horizon, but general relativity isn't the whole story and only when we have a tested theory of quantum gravity will we have a real idea of what's inside a black hole.

Sen's covered black hole weaponry nicely. I'll add that energy in equals energy out is still going to hold unless you opt to circumvent or ignore it. Even so, the small size and indestructibility of a black hole would be useful.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 am

Vocenae wrote:The Advice thread is not for casual conversation, it's not for social chatting. This is for people who are either giving advice to players who are unsure about something, or players who are new to FT. This is not a thread for advertising or trying to stir up interest for new threads, that is why people create Interest threads for.

Were discussing space insects thanks
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:15 am

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen wrote:There have actually been serious papers written about the prospect of using small black holes for starship engines.

I think I actually have one of those floating about on a hard drive somewhere if anyone is interested in taking a look.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:28 am

Dude, calm down. No matter what you due, a OOC based thread, even with a set topic, is bound to get off topic. Being off topic lasts longer in certain threads than others, the off topicness (not a word, I know) of this thread usually lasts for less than a page.
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 am

SquareDisc City wrote:The behaviour of a singularity is by definition unpredictable. Singularities are unlikely to actually exist and if a theory predicts their formation in a given situation then that probably means the theory is no good for that situation. Black holes are not the same thing as singularities despite what many authors seem to think. General relativity predicts that black holes contain singularities, and that their unpredictable effects are shielded from the outside Universe by the event horizon, but general relativity isn't the whole story and only when we have a tested theory of quantum gravity will we have a real idea of what's inside a black hole.

Sen's covered black hole weaponry nicely. I'll add that energy in equals energy out is still going to hold unless you opt to circumvent or ignore it. Even so, the small size and indestructibility of a black hole would be useful.

NAKED SINGULARITIES LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:26 am

Strykla wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:The behaviour of a singularity is by definition unpredictable. Singularities are unlikely to actually exist and if a theory predicts their formation in a given situation then that probably means the theory is no good for that situation. Black holes are not the same thing as singularities despite what many authors seem to think. General relativity predicts that black holes contain singularities, and that their unpredictable effects are shielded from the outside Universe by the event horizon, but general relativity isn't the whole story and only when we have a tested theory of quantum gravity will we have a real idea of what's inside a black hole.

NAKED SINGULARITIES LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Trolling hardcore I see.

To be serious though, one way you can thing of singularities is as a discontinuity in a rational equation. You can never evaluate the equation at the discontinuity, but you can immediately around it to determine what it will look like. That said, don't run too far with that. We can't know what is going on inside of a singularity.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:28 am

Avenio wrote:
SquareDisc City wrote:Toss away your science and run on rule of cool. Survival in space purely on solar power might be possible,

Not really. Pigments tend not to do so well in vacuum.

SquareDisc City wrote:but to grow an organism needs to take in matter, and space is known for its lack of such.

Very much so.

SquareDisc City wrote:Now an atmosphere-less planet is another mater. Provided there's a suitable solvent life could exist.

Underground, perhaps. But not on the airless surface itself.

SquareDisc City wrote:In a vacuum any liquid will tend to either freeze or boil, but it could be replenished from geological sources.

The liquids would flash-boil too quickly for anything more complicated than the most basic hydrocarbons to form.

SquareDisc City wrote:The organism's skin and general physiology might well be designed to minimise fluid losses; perhaps it could be waxy like certain plants.

Wouldn't work - the pressure of the water would be too strong in anything of macrological size and the organism would rupture.

SquareDisc City wrote:If warm-blooded it would not need as fast a metabolism as life on Earth since there'd be no air to cool it.
And of course it can't breathe, it would have to take in everything it needs from either solid or liquid substances.

The fact that it's metabolism is restricted to chemolithoautotrophy means that the most sophisticated lifeform that could possibly evolve is pond scum.

Strykla wrote:Who says life is constrained by earthly rules? In the book Blindsight, you had aliens that ate magnetic fields.

Well, ran off them.

The aliens in Blindsight were based on organic chemistry. A hardier version than ours, but still following the same principles.

Yes Im Biop wrote:Suck in enough energy and it could force its self to mutate

Hnngngnggghhhhhhh

Rly guys all forms of biological life is just going to be obsoleted by the Singularity as the universe is slowly transformed into computronium.

It's like Rethan but not blatantly evil, just misunderstood.
Last edited by Galla- on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Sobornost
Secretary

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sobornost » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Rethan wrote:
Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen wrote:There have actually been serious papers written about the prospect of using small black holes for starship engines.

I think I actually have one of those floating about on a hard drive somewhere if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Sounds curiously similar to a certain slugthrowing nation in the neighborhood...
The Sobornost Republic, a Future-Tech nation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives