NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The 44th Indp Legion
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The 44th Indp Legion » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 am

This has been bugging me for a while now - but what if your ships/fighters had a propulsion method that didn't require fuel in the ordinary sense?

Given the size and sheer mass of most of my ships ICly (I don't usually bring anything but the 'small' ones out for RPs for obvious reasons, but w/e), the main sublight propulsion is, in principle, an alcubierre drive - in other words, a spatial distortion drive that will accelerate irrespective of mass. A bonus feature is being able to deflect stuff (including lasers, funnily enough) with it at certain angles. However, the fighters and missiles both use a different propulsion system from that and another. The fighters use a 'gravatic' drive, the same technology as on my hovertanks, to propel them efficiently whilst relatively near a great mass, usually a planet, but ships fine too. Missiles on the other hand use a more traditional rocket-like propellant, which enables them to traverse inter-ship distances autonomously, but is less efficient because you have to drag a mass in fuel around. Obviously my tech base takes a few liberties, but could similar principles be applied more realisticly? Furthermore, I'd like to add that 'strike craft' (by which I mean actual ship-sized stuff) rather than 'fighters' can work well in an FT setting, if noly because if you put them in a big mothership/carrier-thing, you don't have to fit them with (an often bulky, heavy and in combat unnecary) intergalactic FTL drive, right? That could be a lot of weight saved, right? Or am I just talking fantasies and nonsense?
OOC, this nation is an autonomous exclave, but will ICly (rather firmly) assert that they are representing the whole of the 44th on diplomatic occasions. Please take their IC aspirations of grandeur and power with several grams of salt.
Post makes no damn sense.
You make a hurtful haiku.
Refrigerator.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 am

YellowApple wrote:a single paper that is not openly available without paying up and that doesn't seem to be matched by other, freely-available scientific documentation
You do realise that this is relatively often the case. It's annoying, but we can't do a lot about it.

I suppose the FT version of a hybrid would be the aforementioned combination of fusion reactor, antimatter generator, and antimatter reactor. Again this is only worthwhile if you're of the view, whether OOC or IC, that antimatter is dangerous so you don't want to be carrying loads of the stuff around.

Regarding scaling, the assumption seems to be that the engines always achieve the same specific impulse. This may not be the case. Let's consider the somewhat unlikely but perfectly functional example of using a mass driver to propel your ship. Now our 4-unit-ship will look like follows.

XXXO=
XXXO=
XXXO=
XXXO=

In this case I'm using O to represent the physical bulk of the mass drivers, and X to represent other stuff.

Now when we scale up to an 8-unit ship, we've got a lot more available volume, so can use bigger mass drivers.

XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=
XXXXXXOO=

Being bigger, these mass drivers will get their projectiles up to a higher speed, sending them off with more momentum, and thus giving greater thrust and greater specific impulse. Thus, the scaling issue are mitigated.
(Note that specific impulse only counts propellent shot out of the back, not fuel burned up in the reactors. Our volume available for reactors scales the same as our ship mass, so I don't think this is an issue.)

I don't think it's unreasonable for this to apply generally - that with more "depth" to work with, a rocket engine can deliver greater specific impulse.

44th, you're indeed correct that reactionless drives will have totally different considerations. There's a lot of latitude for making up one's own physics with such though, so it's not really possible to discuss in a general manner.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Fata (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Aug 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fata (Ancient) » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 am

Jeesh Arthropoda could have been a little more gentle when you completely slammed me into the hypothetical dirt.

And when I think Capital ship, I think Capital, like that of a city, or a country. I'm thinking like flagships. I had no idea you guys had other definitions for capital ship. I also don't see why you got to be so completely blunt, and somewhat rude. When I said "you guys" I was referring to a general nation with uber ships. I wasn't targeting anyone specific. But apparently everyone one is allowed to have an opinion except me, cause this always seems to happen. I say something or write a small rant compared to the normal rant on nations states and it seem there is always someone jumping down my throat and slapping me with my own words. I'm not very good at writing and describing with words, so there is no way for me to put my point across accurately.

Just wait and see, ill probably be attacked verbally again on the basis on being "a cry baby" or what ever. Probably have my intelligence insulted multiple times too.

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:32 am

Fighters are great from a literary standpoint since they allow the Rugged Space Hero to engage in Manly Single Combat with the Evil Aliens in the rings of Planet ZK-5.

From a technical standpoint, not so much, unless your tech has been specifically tailored to make them viable.

YellowApple wrote:Meanwhile, this article on HowStuffWorks indicates that the complete opposite is true in real-life hybrid vehicles - that smaller engines are more efficient. So your mileage may vary.

The most efficient gas engines are combined-cycle gas turbines in the several-hundred megawatt range, with thermal efficiencies as high as 60%. Most efficient engine that's actually used in a vehicle? Probably one of Warsila's ludicrously huge diesel engines; a quick check of their web page shows several container-ship diesels with efficiencies over 50% (anything with a BSFC of 176 g/kwh or less, since bunker fuel has a heat of combustion of 41 mj/kg), and these are engines so large that if you fall into one of the cylinders you need a ladder to get out.

Car engines are substantially lower (~30% range IIRC) even though they use higher-quality fuel. They're small, so they don't have the weight or room needed to have every efficiency-improving gadget in the history of mankind tacked on.

YellowApple wrote:Very good points, I suppose. However, it still doesn't answer one fundamental issue that I have with big ships vs. small ships: the square-cube law. What's being discussed is true for the reactor itself, but if the main engines still only provide thrust over one face of a rectangular prism, and the prism as a whole has a volume - and therefore mass (assuming equal density in the entire volume) - growing faster than the area of thrust, then wouldn't that be an increasingly-restrictive bottleneck as the size grows?

Since when has engine thrust been related to area? I mean, maybe your logic holds if you plaster a million fighter-grade engines to the ass of a capital ship, but it really doesn't if you're using properly-sized engines for the vehicle in question. To use a real example, the F-1 rocket engine has a diameter of 3.76 meters (~11m2) and produces 6,770 kilonewtons of thrust, so it produces 605 kilonewtons per square meter the engine occupies. The much smaller Merlin 1C uses the same propellant at similar chamber pressures; wiki sez it has a diameter of 1.25 meters (~1.23m2) and produces 400 kilonewtons, or about 325 newtons per square meter the engine occupies.

YellowApple wrote:Big ships have big mass, which means more propulsive force is necessary to move with a given acceleration than a small ship with a small mass. More force equates to more fuel consumed per unit of acceleration.

Which has exactly zip to do with whether or not they use more fuel per unit mass.
Last edited by Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

IshCong
Senator

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 am

The 44th Indp Legion wrote:This has been bugging me for a while now - but what if your ships/fighters had a propulsion method that didn't require fuel in the ordinary sense?

Given the size and sheer mass of most of my ships ICly (I don't usually bring anything but the 'small' ones out for RPs for obvious reasons, but w/e), the main sublight propulsion is, in principle, an alcubierre drive - in other words, a spatial distortion drive that will accelerate irrespective of mass. A bonus feature is being able to deflect stuff (including lasers, funnily enough) with it at certain angles. However, the fighters and missiles both use a different propulsion system from that and another. The fighters use a 'gravatic' drive, the same technology as on my hovertanks, to propel them efficiently whilst relatively near a great mass, usually a planet, but ships fine too.

Maybe I just don't understand the full implications of your gravitic drive, but it doesn't seem like a great plan. I mean, hover-tech could* be useful on a planet's surface because it can help lessen friction from the ground, but that's not a factor in space. And it's not like gravity is a very strong force, the entire mass of Earth manages not even 10m/s at the surface and unless your ships are of moon/planet scale they probably won't create any appreciable gravitational pull.
So...I guess I'm wondering how this drive is supposed to work.

The 44th Indp Legion wrote:Missiles on the other hand use a more traditional rocket-like propellant, which enables them to traverse inter-ship distances autonomously, but is less efficient because you have to drag a mass in fuel around.

Is there any inherent reason why the missiles cannot use the same gravitic drive your fighters do?

The 44th Indp Legion wrote:Obviously my tech base takes a few liberties, but could similar principles be applied more realisticly? Furthermore, I'd like to add that 'strike craft' (by which I mean actual ship-sized stuff) rather than 'fighters' can work well in an FT setting, if noly because if you put them in a big mothership/carrier-thing, you don't have to fit them with (an often bulky, heavy and in combat unnecary) intergalactic FTL drive, right? That could be a lot of weight saved, right? Or am I just talking fantasies and nonsense?

I'm inclined to say that while that is a possibility, the value saved by not equipping one's ships with FTL drives is rather difficult to measure as I know of no uniform size or cost associated with them.

Of course, not having FTL drives on all ships means you are going to have to gather them up before departure or leave them behind, which could make rapid advances or withdrawals more problematic. And if you lose that/those motherships/carriers...every other ship is functionally lost because they can no longer go anywhere. Unless you have spare carriers lying around to pick up strays, but then these are the largest ships you're producing, so having tons of spares lying around...
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:38 am

Ularn wrote:For Christ's sake can we PLEASE talk about something else besides fighters?

Space ant's.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Old Sarthal
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Sarthal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Ularn wrote:For Christ's sake can we PLEASE talk about something else besides fighters?

Space ant's.

While space ants are possible, space bees would obviously be more effective, as space ants must carry fuel for the return trip, while space bees die after stinging anyway, not to mention that space bees are far more intimidating, especially if crossbred with space sharks.
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59
19:49 AzuraI piss excellence.

Yortini Systems wrote:God, yes, yes!
Soroi Athlai [FT]
Sarthasian Republics [MT]
Proud Member of FT-Bravo Roleplay Group
I may be a schemer, but I'm not the only one.

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:08 am

Old Sarthal wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
Space ant's.

While space ants are possible, space bees would obviously be more effective, as space ants must carry fuel for the return trip, while space bees die after stinging anyway, not to mention that space bees are far more intimidating, especially if crossbred with space sharks.

...Space Spider Hawks.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:12 am

Old Sarthal wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
Space ant's.

You.

I like you.
Last edited by Rethan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Old Sarthal
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Sarthal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:16 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Old Sarthal wrote:

...Space Spider Hawks.

The existence of Space Spider Hawks implies the existence of Space Spiders :shock:.
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59
19:49 AzuraI piss excellence.

Yortini Systems wrote:God, yes, yes!
Soroi Athlai [FT]
Sarthasian Republics [MT]
Proud Member of FT-Bravo Roleplay Group
I may be a schemer, but I'm not the only one.

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:18 am

Old Sarthal wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
...Space Spider Hawks.

The existence of Space Spider Hawks implies the existence of Space Spiders :shock:.

Implications... terrifying
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Old Sarthal wrote:

Totalius.

The most terrifying thing to have ever graced FT barring the Mekantans imo.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Old Sarthal wrote:

I surmise they spin webs of dark matter in the void between stars to capture the unwary spacefarer, then cocoon him in stranglets and siphon off his matter and thermal energy to warm their bellies in the frigid blackness whence they make their homes.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:55 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

I surmise they spin webs of dark matter in the void between stars to capture the unwary spacefarer, then cocoon him in stranglets and siphon off his matter and thermal energy to warm their bellies in the frigid blackness whence they make their homes.

Yum.

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:

You know, that gives me some ideas I can use with my Kythons. Thanks
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm scared now.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Balrogga wrote:

You know, that gives me some ideas I can use with my Kythons. Thanks

My pleasure.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:I'm scared now.

The hell have i done...
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Escalan Corps-Star Island wrote:I'm scared now.

The hell have i done...

A wonderful thing.

That brings up an interesting question, though; what considerations would need to be taken to establish the feasibility of an organism that lives in the vacuum of space as its natural habitat? Based on things like space activity suits in real life, as well as the amount of radiation in space, I imagine an exoskeletal organism would have a better chance of survival, but that's just wild speculation.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:38 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
The hell have i done...

A wonderful thing.

That brings up an interesting question, though; what considerations would need to be taken to establish the feasibility of an organism that lives in the vacuum of space as its natural habitat? Based on things like space activity suits in real life, as well as the amount of radiation in space, I imagine an exoskeletal organism would have a better chance of survival, but that's just wild speculation.

Hence, Space Spiders. Their genomes would have to be excessively mutation resistant, their exoskeletons would need a tensile strength near that of FT composites, and they might even need multiple membranes through which foodstuffs would pass to prevent explosive decompression of their innards.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:02 pm

YellowApple wrote:
A wonderful thing.

Hence, Space Spiders. Their genomes would have to be excessively mutation resistant, their exoskeletons would need a tensile strength near that of FT composites, and they might even need multiple membranes through which foodstuffs would pass to prevent explosive decompression of their innards.
You're assuming that space lifeforms would still be carbon- and DNA based.

As opposed to consisting of weird spacetime bullshit, Xeelee-like.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
You're assuming that space lifeforms would still be carbon- and DNA based.

As opposed to consisting of weird spacetime bullshit, Xeelee-like.

Well, yes. I suppose they could be dark matter shadow creatures, or sentient bundles of stranglets, or cosmic ray entities.

But then we can't theorize about them, and that, as we all know, is absolutely no fun at all.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:33 pm

YellowApple wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
The hell have i done...

A wonderful thing.

Toss away your science and run on rule of cool. Survival in space purely on solar power might be possible, but to grow an organism needs to take in matter, and space is known for its lack of such.

Now an atmosphere-less planet is another mater. Provided there's a suitable solvent life could exist. In a vacuum any liquid will tend to either freeze or boil, but it could be replenished from geological sources. The organism's skin and general physiology might well be designed to minimise fluid losses; perhaps it could be waxy like certain plants. If warm-blooded it would not need as fast a metabolism as life on Earth since there'd be no air to cool it. And of course it can't breathe, it would have to take in everything it needs from either solid or liquid substances.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
A wonderful thing.

Toss away your science and run on rule of cool. Survival in space purely on solar power might be possible, but to grow an organism needs to take in matter, and space is known for its lack of such.

Now an atmosphere-less planet is another mater. Provided there's a suitable solvent life could exist. In a vacuum any liquid will tend to either freeze or boil, but it could be replenished from geological sources. The organism's skin and general physiology might well be designed to minimise fluid losses; perhaps it could be waxy like certain plants. If warm-blooded it would not need as fast a metabolism as life on Earth since there'd be no air to cool it. And of course it can't breathe, it would have to take in everything it needs from either solid or liquid substances.

Who says life is constrained by earthly rules? In the book Blindsight, you had aliens that ate magnetic fields.

Well, ran off them.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:
YellowApple wrote:
A wonderful thing.

Suck in enough energy and it could force its self to mutate
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives