NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:03 am

Ulran the fact that were talking about sand moving at 99%c and a LOT of it Micrometors don't even scale at all.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:04 am

Okay; right now I'm not sure which of my points you're arguing against where.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:08 am

Most of em. What i said originally was right. A massive blast of sand moving way to fast would superheat the Atmo. And make a Giant BBQ
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 am

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... ic_Weapons <--- I was speaking more towards sand making rounds and missiles in to slag the moment they hit if they were going fast enough.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 am

The Fedral Union wrote:http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunexotic.php#id--Relativistic_Weapons <--- I was speaking more towards sand making rounds and missiles in to slag the moment they hit if they were going fast enough.

Ah, so you were talking about using your sandpit as point defence rather than an offensive weapon. That's fair enough and perfectly feasible assuming you can afford the energy drain and get rid of the heat generated by using that sort of mass driver so frequently. Personally I think it's so energy intensive that I'd rather go for laser clusters in my point-defence and save the c-frac kinetics for my one-hit-kill supercannon style weapons.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 am

One thing that intrigues me about FT is that the empires and units here could actually travel past the extent of the observable universe where we see the light from 13.7 billion years ago. We perhaps could even travel past the extent of the Big Bang, the universe being so vast that the edges of the catastrophic event could actually be traverseable . So, what do you guys think?
Factbook in progress

Military lSociety l History l Steel Confessor Tenet Booklet

"Steel, is by its very nature is the most secure and protective material that mankind has produced. It can be bent into shapes, made into wire, forged into plate and weapons. It is versatile as flesh but stronger. It is humanity's next evolution and thus a facet of the divine" -Steel Confessor Tenet I

An avowed believer in Mankind's own divinity. This does not mean I believe in a god. Just us.

Fuck it, might as well do one of these. I am a pansexual male, Egalitarian, Progressive Fascist, Humanist, and a Major in the United States Army.

Fearing the Future only leaves us with stone tools.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am

Steel Confessors wrote:One thing that intrigues me about FT is that the empires and units here could actually travel past the extent of the observable universe where we see the light from 13.7 billion years ago. We perhaps could even travel past the extent of the Big Bang, the universe being so vast that the edges of the catastrophic event could actually be traverseable . So, what do you guys think?

Most certainly possible and - depending on the precise technologies - more than feasible. I RP with wormhole-based FTL, which has already been put to use in traversing not only this universe, but other universes.

Of course, you'd probably want to see where you're going first before you make a jump to beyond the observable universe. However, being able to say "f*ck yeah! I just jumped to the exact location of the Big Bang!" would be well worth getting lost forever.

EDIT: I should clarify that by "location" I'm talking "location in spacetime"; I'm fully aware that the Big Bang has no specific point of origin other than (possibly) a specific time at which it occurred.
Last edited by YellowApple on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:42 am

Ularn wrote:Regarding the c-frac bucket of sand, you guys do realise that Earth is getting hit by micrometeorites like this all the time and we're not any worse for it.
Meteorites hitting Earth do 72 km/s maximum (because there's a maximum speed for them to be in a closed orbit and a fixed speed of the Earth). Relativistic and ultrarelativistic shells could be going over 4000 times faster. It's like trying to understand how bullets kill by studying how cars do.

Tbh no observed situation is anything like an ultrarelativistic impact of a massive projectile. I'm unaware of any theoretical work in the area, and as such I don't really know what would happen. If I had to guess I'd probably take inspiration from effects of particle beams, assuming that the speeds are so great that the atomic bonds in the projectile have negligible strength.

Steel Confessors wrote:One thing that intrigues me about FT is that the empires and units here could actually travel past the extent of the observable universe where we see the light from 13.7 billion years ago. We perhaps could even travel past the extent of the Big Bang, the universe being so vast that the edges of the catastrophic event could actually be traverseable . So, what do you guys think?
The "extent of the Big Bang" is as likely as not to be boundless. Also, while I have seen people claim systems beyond the edge of the observable Universe, and the FTL drives to get from there to the Milky Way and back, they haven't been the same people who would know what kind of differences might be expected if there were any. Claiming a galaxy a trillion light-years away is likely to be regarded as silly techwankery unless you do a very good job of explaining what the differences are and/or why the heck you're interested in the Milky Way.

On the Big Bang, I'm sitting where it happened right now. And so are you, and so is everyone, because at the Big Bang every point in space was one point in space.
Last edited by SquareDisc City on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 pm

could you clarify your statement? Especially "travel past the extent of the big bang".
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen wrote:

could you clarify your statement? Especially "travel past the extent of the big bang".

I think he's talking about travelling beyond the 13.7 billion-year light cone and out into the 'rest' of the observable universe.

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Avenio wrote:

I think he's talking about travelling beyond the 13.7 billion-year light cone and out into the 'rest' of the observable universe.

Hitting the nail on the head. That was right what I was speaking about. Just wasn't quite sure how to phrase it. Obviously by Sen's response not well at all.
Factbook in progress

Military lSociety l History l Steel Confessor Tenet Booklet

"Steel, is by its very nature is the most secure and protective material that mankind has produced. It can be bent into shapes, made into wire, forged into plate and weapons. It is versatile as flesh but stronger. It is humanity's next evolution and thus a facet of the divine" -Steel Confessor Tenet I

An avowed believer in Mankind's own divinity. This does not mean I believe in a god. Just us.

Fuck it, might as well do one of these. I am a pansexual male, Egalitarian, Progressive Fascist, Humanist, and a Major in the United States Army.

Fearing the Future only leaves us with stone tools.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Avenio wrote:

I thought he meant out beyond the furthermost lump of shrapnel from the initial explosion - where none of the energy, light and matter from the original explosion or whatever has travelled yet.

EDIT: Never mind.
Last edited by Ularn on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Fata (Ancient)
Secretary

Founded: Aug 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fata (Ancient) » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:46 pm

well... thanks I guess guys. I was just talking about a rod that is like heated to just before melting, and then launched. Also I was thinking on a lot smaller scale then ships. I was thinking of tank sized and smaller. I don't even understand how it changed to throwing sand at each other's ship but it was interesting to say the least.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Fata wrote:well... thanks I guess guys. I was just talking about a rod that is like heated to just before melting, and then launched. Also I was thinking on a lot smaller scale then ships. I was thinking of tank sized and smaller. I don't even understand how it changed to throwing sand at each other's ship but it was interesting to say the least.

Welcome to Nation States.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Fata wrote:well... thanks I guess guys. I was just talking about a rod that is like heated to just before melting, and then launched. Also I was thinking on a lot smaller scale then ships. I was thinking of tank sized and smaller. I don't even understand how it changed to throwing sand at each other's ship but it was interesting to say the least.

Well, heating a rod and launching it is not necessarily a good idea if you want it for a weapon. You know what blacksmiths are associated with? Forges. You heat up metal to make it pliable, then forge it into shapes. I think launching your rod cold would do better.

As for the sand, it's not a bad idea. In fact, if you take a shitload of sand, put it in a big ship, bring it to relativistic speeds, then dump it out and let fly, that massive clump of sand is going to hit whatever's in front of it like a train. Any ship caught in its path would be vaporized. Well not vaporized, but turned into itty bitty pieces.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Steel Confessors wrote:
Avenio wrote:

Hitting the nail on the head. That was right what I was speaking about. Just wasn't quite sure how to phrase it. Obviously by Sen's response not well at all.

If that's what you meant, then it'll still be pretty much the same as the observable universe. Matter's large-scale structure is the same, Hubble's Law still applies, and if you look at the universe with a microwave telescope you'll still see the CMB 13.7 billion years ago.

More of the same, pretty much.

Ularn wrote:
Avenio wrote:

I thought he meant out beyond the furthermost lump of shrapnel from the initial explosion - where none of the energy, light and matter from the original explosion or whatever has travelled yet.

EDIT: Never mind.

This reveals a fundamental misconception about the nature of the big bang. Relative to nearby objects, everything is pretty much stationary. The observed expansion of the universe isn't a due to matter flying outwards from some central point; rather, it's due to space itself becoming larger and taking matter along for the ride. The old analogy to help people get this is to imagine that the galaxies are dots on a balloon. As you blow the balloon the dots don't move, but the distance between them becomes larger since the space that they exist on (the balloon) expands.
The Exaltation of the Celestial Court of Our Most Resplendent Goddess Sen

Hurun
Envoy

Founded: Sep 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurun » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198478

Writing tips? Or wrong section?
Always up for an RP. TG me if you want to do a FT. Only bites when provoked*Note* Zoo-handler was hurt in that sentence.

Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Trailers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:06 am

Back to kinetic kill munitions, I think it's silly when anyone suggests they can accelerate anything of significant mass (Re: Not a subatomic particle) to within a crab fart of light speed on something as compact as a space ship. Yeah sure, I know, free-form RP all points are valid, but do you guys consider how much energy it would take to contain and accelerate something the size of a grain of sand to the speed of light? I mean I'm not saying it couldn't be done but there is a lot of handwavium involved in accelerating a projectile to .99c. I'm just saying when I use k-kill tech, my shit is accelerated to about 2-3% lightspeed, tops. Even ships over a km long wouldn't have an acceleration ladder capable of more (Handwavium sold seperately), not to mention the stupendously large reactors needed for power of an Admiral Ackbar magnitude.
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:13 am

Trailers wrote:Back to kinetic kill munitions, I think it's silly when anyone suggests they can accelerate anything of significant mass (Re: Not a subatomic particle) to within a crab fart of light speed on something as compact as a space ship. Yeah sure, I know, free-form RP all points are valid, but do you guys consider how much energy it would take to contain and accelerate something the size of a grain of sand to the speed of light? I mean I'm not saying it couldn't be done but there is a lot of handwavium involved in accelerating a projectile to .99c. I'm just saying when I use k-kill tech, my shit is accelerated to about 2-3% lightspeed, tops. Even ships over a km long wouldn't have an acceleration ladder capable of more (Handwavium sold seperately), not to mention the stupendously large reactors needed for power of an Admiral Ackbar magnitude.

This is exactly why my only kinetic kill weapons are mounted on my capital ships (cruisers and above), have a maximum velocity of .07C and generate so much waste heat that the ship's going to be having serious problems if you fire more than about five rounds in quick succession.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Sertian
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sertian » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 am

Trailers wrote:Back to kinetic kill munitions, I think it's silly when anyone suggests they can accelerate anything of significant mass (Re: Not a subatomic particle) to within a crab fart of light speed on something as compact as a space ship. Yeah sure, I know, free-form RP all points are valid, but do you guys consider how much energy it would take to contain and accelerate something the size of a grain of sand to the speed of light? I mean I'm not saying it couldn't be done but there is a lot of handwavium involved in accelerating a projectile to .99c. I'm just saying when I use k-kill tech, my shit is accelerated to about 2-3% lightspeed, tops. Even ships over a km long wouldn't have an acceleration ladder capable of more (Handwavium sold seperately), not to mention the stupendously large reactors needed for power of an Admiral Ackbar magnitude.

I'm with ya there.
The Sertian Empire Factbook
Flag generously made by Rommel, A.K.A. North Mack

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 am

The energy required itself is not the problem. A reasonably efficient antimatter reactor will be able to put out sufficient power relatively easily. The problem is finding a way to impart that power to the round itself within the length of most ships.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:13 am

To be honest, I use KKVs as my main ship to ship weapons and I just say that the rounds are fast enough to be effective at a couple of light seconds and heavy enough to be extremely powerful. I also acknowledge that the cannons involve a certain amount of Handwavium which works fine for me since my nation is fairly slushtech.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Sskiss
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sskiss » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 am

Only used as orbital bombard style weaponry for larger craft and is typically spinal mounted. Velocity is typically about 3% of light speed and is more than enough to do the job done. As a result, the mass of the projectiles (in the case of the spinal mounted bombard weapons) need not be much beyond several kilos and is often fired buckshot style. Otherwise its used for orbital to surface attack craft (two types), armoured troop landers and attack drones. The munitions used are for these craft are artificially created degenerate matter - typically a kilo in mass per cubic centimeter. For the these craft, a velocity of up to 20,000 mps suffices nicely.
Last edited by Sskiss on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eat or be Eaten"
"The first pain of life is to be driven from the creche to the harsh lands beyond.
The first joy of life is the crechemates you will meet there"
"Above the Isss' Raak is only the sky"
"Greenfood feeds redfood. Redfood feeds Sskiss"

"All is oneness/isness. All feed on death"
Sskiss Apothegms

Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Trailers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

Kreanoltha wrote:

To be honest, I use KKVs as my main ship to ship weapons and I just say that the rounds are fast enough to be effective at a couple of light seconds and heavy enough to be extremely powerful. I also acknowledge that the cannons involve a certain amount of Handwavium which works fine for me since my nation is fairly slushtech.

If you're engaging at more than one light second with mass drivers, you have to deal with targeting lag, information lag, and missing every shot. Better to use lasers/masers missiles or fighters at such extreme ranges. I use fighters specifically for long range engagement, since they can provide their own targeting telemetry once in range of the vessel, and dont have to rely on a firing solution from the mothership who is having to deal with information lag.
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

Entaurii
Envoy

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Entaurii » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:08 am

Trailers wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

If you're engaging at more than one light second with mass drivers, you have to deal with targeting lag, information lag, and missing every shot. Better to use lasers/masers missiles or fighters at such extreme ranges. I use fighters specifically for long range engagement, since they can provide their own targeting telemetry once in range of the vessel, and dont have to rely on a firing solution from the mothership who is having to deal with information lag.

/handwave

My KEWs are already hitting your ship.

These are not the droids you're looking for.

On a serious note, you have a point. To travel the distance of even 0.5 light seconds, it would still take your round 17 seconds (at 0.03c) to hit. Kind of a big difference there.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives