NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:32 am

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Auman wrote:Stunning... However, the fire will eat the oxygen and kill you. It will also heat up the metal and burn you, blistering your face and eventually peeling the flesh off in sheets. Ultimately, while punching a steel hat will hurt your hand, setting it on fire will kill the user. You'd also notice that setting human flesh on fire is difficult at first, so for the purposes of the experiment a propellant would be used.
I question the probability of the amount of energy needed to significantly damage the skin also being sufficient to 1. heat up a significant amount of steel 2. being omnidirectionally re-radiated/ conducted and 3. still being enough to also do significant damage to the skin.

Now... Let's use another experiment. A level III protective vest will protect you from 7.62x51mm projectiles, but it won't protect you from a knife. A stab vest will protect you from a knife, but a bullet like I mentioned would go straight through it.
Curiously, both involve kinetic energy. Are you saying that several different types of shields are needed to deal with different types of kinetic projectiles?

A steel plate will stop slashes and stabs from a sword, but a laser would blast it to pieces and bullets would turn it into Swiss cheese.
hahaha no.jpg & Morbo.jpg

The kinetic energy of a sword slash or stab is in the range of < 100 to < 200 joules, tops. Now, if you can show me a 6.25 mm Browning penetrating full plate - just the equivalent thickness of steel, really, doesn't have to be actual armour -, I'll concede. Otherwise... lol.

And I want to see the, oh, lets be optimistic and make it equivalent to an assault rifle bullet in terms of energy - the 2 kW laser that blasts a few kilograms worth of steel plate to pieces. Really, I do.

I'd argue your points, but they're not based in reality. If a sword was more than capable of defeating steel plate, then why was the mace invented? Wait, it's because the typical longsword of the time was not capable of defeating steel plate armor. Fire also does create the effects I am talking about... Otherwise molotov cocktails wouldn't exist.

NBC gear will protect you from various exotic threats, but won't help you if you're trying to put out an oil well fire... That's why you wear them fancy shiny heat suits. A t-shirt and shorts will protect you from overheating in summer, but if you wore it in Antarctica during the winter, you'd die in seconds.
Which unfortunately, doesn't have anything to do with the argument I made, which is that it's the energy that matters - NBC gear is specifically meant to deal with threats that don't do hard- but soft damage - thus being a staggeringly invalid example on account of energy playing a negligible role -, and low temperatures aren't a problem of energy received, but of energy lost, missing the point harder than a gas-huffing part-time petrol-station attendant.

I'd argue your points, but they're not based in reality. If a sword was more than capable of defeating steel plate, then why was the mace invented? Wait, it's because the typical longsword of the time was not capable of defeating steel plate armor. Fire also does create the effects I am talking about... Otherwise molotov cocktails wouldn't exist.

Anyway, back to the original point... You're wrong. You're very wrong, actually. And when you realize how wrong you are on the most basic points of reason, you should immediately drop out of university.
IBNFTW local 8492

Cyber Utopia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyber Utopia » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:48 am

Well I'm not sure if the car near the end of this video is made from steel, but the guy manages to shoot through it with an intermediate round. I'm going to assume it may have a chance of punching through plate. After all, wasn't the development of rifled muskets a factor that led to metal body armours falling out of use?
Last edited by Cyber Utopia on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity."

Feazanthia wrote:Remember - every time you chuck an asteroid at a planet, Bruce Willis gets a sappy self-sacrifice scene in a shitty movie.

Last edited by Jenrak on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the spelling error in the title; you can thank me later.

Drakcon
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Drakcon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:52 am

Cyber Utopia wrote:Well I'm not sure if the car near the end of this video is made from steel, but the guy manages to shoot through it with an intermediate round. I'm going to assume it may have a chance of punching through plate. After all, wasn't the development of rifled muskets a factor that led to metal body armours falling out of use?

Well a car is made with ether mild steel panels or plastic panels so its not a good representation of "plate" and yes it would punch through medieval plate which was constructed with iron. Metal armor only fell out of use until the development of Modern Ballistic Steels and Titaniums

What I think that Arthropoda Ingens was trying to get at is the term 'plate' can means a piece of ridged armor material (A ballistic vest has pockets for adding metal or ceramic trauma plates.) and we should use it like the armors during the medieval time period did (full body coverage).

And lets end this here before we get yelled at for possibly arguing :P
The Grand Empire of Drakcon
My Fact Book| My Foreign Affairs Ministry

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:56 am

Drakcon wrote:
Cyber Utopia wrote:Metal armor only fell out of use until the development of Modern Ballistic Steels and Titaniums

Metal armour is actually obsolete due to high powered, lightweight rounds like the 4.6 Heckler and Koch, and the 5.8 Fabrique Nationale. They go right through titanium and steel plates used by the communists (CRISAT tests show that 4.6 can go through 1.5mm titanium plate and 20 layers of kevlar @ 200 m).

Ceramic armour has supplanted metals for the time being. Boron carbide, silicon carbide, and boron nitride are currently the top in armour technology. All three of these materials are literally just below diamond on the Moh's Scale, btw. Boron nitride is the second hardest material known to man.
Last edited by L3 Communications on Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Techno-Kat
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Kat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Auman wrote:I'd argue your points, but they're not based in reality. If a sword was more than capable of defeating steel plate, then why was the mace invented? Wait, it's because the typical longsword of the time was not capable of defeating steel plate armor. Fire also does create the effects I am talking about... Otherwise molotov cocktails wouldn't exist.

Molotov cocktails aren't designed to be used on people, they're supposed to be used as improvised anti-armour grenades.

They're also useless even in MT, unless you want to burn a building for some reason and a pair of matches and some lighter fluid can do that with a lot less effort that goes to making a Molotov cocktail.
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.62
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -6.31

Drakcon
Spokesperson

Postby Drakcon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:53 pm

L3 Communications wrote:
Drakcon wrote:

Metal armour is actually obsolete due to high powered, lightweight rounds like the 4.6 Heckler and Koch, and the 5.8 Fabrique Nationale. They go right through titanium and steel plates used by the communists (CRISAT tests show that 4.6 can go through 1.5mm titanium plate and 20 layers of kevlar @ 200 m).

Ceramic armour has supplanted metals for the time being. Boron carbide, silicon carbide, and boron nitride are currently the top in armour technology. All three of these materials are literally just below diamond on the Moh's Scale, btw. Boron nitride is the second hardest material known to man.

Well I hate to tell you but those rounds will only go through "thin" ballistic steel and titanium 2 to 5 mm which is the max thickness that most militaries will use due to cost and weight issues. And those ceramics are not the top in current armor tech, they are just the most used and furthermore I WILL NOT ARGUE IN HERE THIS IS FOR DISCUSSION NOT ARGUING!

Elysium Armaments
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysium Armaments » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:56 pm

L3 Communications wrote:
Drakcon wrote:

What is ceramic armor, I've never even heard of it.
Elysium Corporations Consortium [ECC]

Elysium Armaments [EA], Elysium Oil [EO], Elysium Energy [EE]

Drakcon
Spokesperson

Postby Drakcon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Elysium Armaments wrote:What is ceramic armor, I've never even heard of it.

It is a common type of armor material used today and Boron Carbide is one of the main ones used.

They are much harder that metals and only diamonds are harder.

They stop the bullet by breaking and absorbing the force of the bullet, this stops the bullet in its tracks but makes the ceramic plate useless afterwords.

Its used in both infantry armor and vehicle armor.

Here is a link :P Ceramic Armor at Wikipedia

Elysium Armaments
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysium Armaments » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Drakcon wrote:
Elysium Armaments wrote:What is ceramic armor, I've never even heard of it.

It is a common type of armor material used today and Boron Carbide is one of the main ones used.

They are much harder that metals and only diamonds are harder.

They stop the bullet by breaking and absorbing the force of the bullet, this stops the bullet in its tracks but makes the ceramic plate useless afterwords.

Its used in both infantry armor and vehicle armor.

Here is a link :P Ceramic Armor at Wikipedia

Thanks Drak.
Elysium Corporations Consortium [ECC]

Elysium Armaments [EA], Elysium Oil [EO], Elysium Energy [EE]

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Techno-Kat wrote:
Auman wrote:I'd argue your points, but they're not based in reality. If a sword was more than capable of defeating steel plate, then why was the mace invented? Wait, it's because the typical longsword of the time was not capable of defeating steel plate armor. Fire also does create the effects I am talking about... Otherwise molotov cocktails wouldn't exist.

Molotov cocktails aren't designed to be used on people, they're supposed to be used as improvised anti-armour grenades.

They're also useless even in MT, unless you want to burn a building for some reason and a pair of matches and some lighter fluid can do that with a lot less effort that goes to making a Molotov cocktail.

Well duh... But the whole point of the thing is to be dropped onto a tank and left to burn. The effect on the vehicle is to remove the oxygen from the interior, forcing the crew out into the open so they can be shot.
IBNFTW local 8492

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Drakcon wrote:
Cyber Utopia wrote:Well I'm not sure if the car near the end of this video is made from steel, but the guy manages to shoot through it with an intermediate round. I'm going to assume it may have a chance of punching through plate. After all, wasn't the development of rifled muskets a factor that led to metal body armours falling out of use?

Well a car is made with ether mild steel panels or plastic panels so its not a good representation of "plate" and yes it would punch through medieval plate which was constructed with iron. Metal armor only fell out of use until the development of Modern Ballistic Steels and Titaniums

What I think that Arthropoda Ingens was trying to get at is the term 'plate' can means a piece of ridged armor material (A ballistic vest has pockets for adding metal or ceramic trauma plates.) and we should use it like the armors during the medieval time period did (full body coverage).

And lets end this here before we get yelled at for possibly arguing :P

Well, I assume he's talking about steel plate armor because the debate originated from personal force field projectors.
IBNFTW local 8492

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 pm

Hyperspatial Travel wrote:you might hit OMG's Russia-and-friends Earth.

I thought OMG's EE-Earth was out near the Delta/Beta border? Basically a 90-degree counter-clockwise rotation around the galaxy from Sol Prime?
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Morningstar Coalition wrote:
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:you might hit OMG's Russia-and-friends Earth.

I thought OMG's EE-Earth was out near the Delta/Beta border? Basically a 90-degree counter-clockwise rotation around the galaxy from Sol Prime?

Yup. EE-Earth is roughly on the border at about the same distance.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Hyperspatial Travel
Diplomat

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hyperspatial Travel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Then you may have to make a left turn before the turnoff to Sol, take a right at the first Space-KFC, and go down the spacehighway until you hit the space-traffic lights, where you take another left and keep going until you see the turnoff.

My point still stands, though.
Huerdae: You know, I'd kick a queen in the tits if she acted like that.

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Hyperspatial Travel wrote:

Then you may have to make a left turn before the turnoff to Sol, take a right at the first Space-KFC, and go down the spacehighway until you hit the space-traffic lights, where you take another left and keep going until you see the turnoff.

If you drive past Derdon, you've gone too far.
IBNFTW local 8492

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:13 pm

It's faster if you take the hyperspace bypass from sol to the cygnus arm. It's longer, but there's no cops out there so you can speed.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Songnam
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Songnam » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Okay, I'm going to go FT, colonies and all that, but do you people have a map of unclaimed milky way sections? And how hard vs soft scifi are the average FT-ers?

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Songnam wrote:Okay, I'm going to go FT, colonies and all that, but do you people have a map of unclaimed milky way sections? And how hard vs soft scifi are the average FT-ers?

I think there is a map somewhere in F&NI, but I don't have a link to it. As for soft to hard it really depends. I would say that you should find out what works best for you, and then track down players wit the level of hardness or softness that works for you. I'm more or less on par with the Halo and Stargate franchises, but I know people that are hard to a fault. There are also Star Wars people out there that have magic in their Sci-Fi.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Songnam
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Songnam » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:55 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Songnam wrote:Okay, I'm going to go FT, colonies and all that, but do you people have a map of unclaimed milky way sections? And how hard vs soft scifi are the average FT-ers?

I think there is a map somewhere in F&NI, but I don't have a link to it. As for soft to hard it really depends. I would say that you should find out what works best for you, and then track down players wit the level of hardness or softness that works for you. I'm more or less on par with the Halo and Stargate franchises, but I know people that are hard to a fault. There are also Star Wars people out there that have magic in their Sci-Fi.

K thanks...Anyone got a link to the map for the milky way galaxy?
Another question...can we create our own earth? Or is there only one NSGearth?

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Songnam wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

NSG has nothing to do with NS RP.

You can have fractal earths.
4/11/11

Drakcon
Spokesperson

Postby Drakcon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Songnam wrote:K thanks...Anyone got a link to the map for the milky way galaxy?

The thread where you request planet coordinates is located HERE

The disscussion thread for the map is located HERE

Depends what you mean by create your own "Earth"

Do you mean create at a world that is very similar to Earth but is its own world with its own animals and plants? This would be fine and many people do this, they usually name the world after their nation.

Or do you mean create a carbon copy of the real Earth? I think some people do this but I am not sure if its taken that seriously.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Songnam wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

You are free to make your own Earth, but but it won't be known as just Earth. There will be an identifying prefix or suffix to differentiate it. I've taken to calling mine Krearth. It's in an entirely different arm of the galaxy and there are several points where our history and Earth's differ.
Last edited by Kreanoltha on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Dbrought
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dbrought » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:00 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:

It's faster if you take the hyperspace bypass from sol to the cygnus arm. It's longer, but there's no cops out there so you can speed.

though recently there has also been an increase in FT. Biker gangs roaming that area so bring a gun and common sense
HT- "A universe without murder is like a Sunday breakfast without pancakes."
OMG- "my elite special forces Spetsnaz Bears will infiltrate the taxis of a nation to devour all of their urban upper-middle class, leading to massive financial collapse."

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Has anyone else accomplished teleportation?
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:45 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Has anyone else accomplished teleportation?
It's somewhere between 'Exotic, but known to exist' and 'Incredibly commonplace', depending on the nation/ player you ask.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives