NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Alesia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Alesia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:32 am

i've seen the tag 'intro' after the title of an ft thread (e.g. The Shattering [ft, intro]

what does this mean exactly?
United Alesia is now early Future Tech! Fear our TV inspired space fleet!

Trailers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Trailers » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 am

It means that nation is announcing itself to the FT stage, either because they played MT/PMT for awhile and are "graduating" to FT status, or they are a new nation and want to introduce themselves.
Lay coins upon our brows, sound the bells
We're paying our fare on the river to Hell
Drape our bloodied banner upon the funeral pyre
And tell our sons we died Hellenic soldiers, with our faces to the fire

Hyperspatial Travel
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hyperspatial Travel » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 am

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:My favourite (But not my own; All credit goes to Renate) is still the Chrome Steel Phallus.

I believe the Facehuggerian Overcompensation-Class Battlepenis is the mightiest of all space-phalluses.

And yeah, naming ships is an excellent idea. Ships have character just like settings do - and they're mobile and active, so they're able to accumulate an RP history without being invaded. The ship your forefathers stood upon while fighting back the spacepenis hordes is a lot more interesting (and a little more horrifying) than 'that ship at the front of the fleet'. That being said, there's no reason you have to name every ship that's killed in battle, just like you don't need to name every soldier. Just the ones that are plot-relevant.
Last edited by Hyperspatial Travel on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huerdae: You know, I'd kick a queen in the tits if she acted like that.

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 am

Really, it is up to the player when they are writing their posts if they want to name their ships. I do suggest this though since it will make it easier to write replies if your three ships have names so we don't have to make extra attempts to clarify our attacks ("I shoot that ship, not not that one, that one. Dammit, the third one").

I have assigned names and captains to all my ships above a certain class. The Carriers and larger all have their names. The smaller ships I usually assign a random Slayer song title if it fits or some other good sounding name unless I am planning on reusing a ship from a previous RP.

I have a running joke with Mekanta about one of my frigates that keeps encountering Maringasari (SP?) - The All Consuming Goddess by chance and she keeps ripping off entire weapon housings and presenting it to my captain who mounts it on his ship. The thing has about three or four already and if Mek would get back online I could collect more. Not bad for a 60 meter frigate.
Last edited by Balrogga on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 am

Balrogga wrote: Maringasari (SP?) - The All Consuming Goddess

"Minagoroshi" I believe. And yes, yes he does need to come back.

I've named every ship of mine above Destroyer level (every capital ship), namely because my entire fleet is only 15 capitals strong, with a varying amount of lesser ships which don't get names. I don't think it necessary to name every ship, though it does help build up quite a reputation for certain ships. One which comes to mind is Huerdae's Angel of Death. I know that ship because the captain is a maniac who wants to fight....and every time the ship shows up peace has been achieved just in time.

It's lolworthy.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:31 am

Is anyone using Scylla and Charybdis as names of galaxies?
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Germanic Mars
Envoy

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Germanic Mars » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 am

Kreanoltha wrote:Is anyone using Scylla and Charybdis as names of galaxies?

Probably not, since there aren't a lot of players using other galaxies.
Mars [Inspired by Iron Sky]

[Xiscapia] Shinobi stared. Collecting teeth, that was one thing, he could understand that, the taking of war trophies was officially frowned upon but unofficially done all the time in the Imperial Army...but whole skins? That took time and commitment, and it wasn't exactly the sort of thing you could hide. When Stein said hunters, he wasn't speaking metaphorically, it was literal, these men actually hunted fellow sapients like animals, and judging from the teeth and pelts, they were very good at it.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 am

Germanic Mars wrote:

Probably not, since there aren't a lot of players using other galaxies.

Okay. Good. I was looking for a pair of names I could use for a spiral galaxy and it dwarf spiral-bar galaxy satellite. Thanks.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.

Germanic Mars
Envoy

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Germanic Mars » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 am

Kreanoltha wrote:
Germanic Mars wrote:Probably not, since there aren't a lot of players using other galaxies.

Okay. Good. I was looking for a pair of names I could use for a spiral galaxy and it dwarf spiral-bar galaxy satellite. Thanks.

No problemo.
Mars [Inspired by Iron Sky]

[Xiscapia] Shinobi stared. Collecting teeth, that was one thing, he could understand that, the taking of war trophies was officially frowned upon but unofficially done all the time in the Imperial Army...but whole skins? That took time and commitment, and it wasn't exactly the sort of thing you could hide. When Stein said hunters, he wasn't speaking metaphorically, it was literal, these men actually hunted fellow sapients like animals, and judging from the teeth and pelts, they were very good at it.

Cerantia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerantia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Hey... Let's say I'm a complete Star Wars geek, read everything (including the Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Last of the Jedi, some lesser books) from Darth Bane till about the Thrawn Trilogy, and I want to start off in Future Tech. Are their any other Star Wars-like FT countries out there? If so, what timeline did you start in? What is a good timeline place to start (aka Hand of Thrawn duology, Truce at Bakura, Darth Bane trilogy, ect.)?

Solar Communes
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solar Communes » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Do you mind Jedis with motorcycles that hail to the GREAT NIPPON ^__^ and have AZN names despite not really being AZNs?

If you care about the canon and dislike seeing mish-mashs and overal defacement of original canons, I'm sure you'd rather start with an original concept.
Ж
Space Anarchist Miscegenated Black&White Viking Vampire Shapeshifting Pirates in Space.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, North Point, Varejao, Ulanpataar, Sharfghotten, Franberry, Tyrandis, Rosbaningrad, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania: All unjustly deleted. 09/27 Nevar Forget.
Abandon Humanity, one step at a time | Suffer not the Yiffster. Join ANTIFA: The Anti-furry Alliance
Solar Communes Wiki | World of Dustpeople(Species Factbook) | Documentary on Solarian Diplomacy with Aliens
Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Cerantia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerantia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Solar Communes wrote:Do you mind Jedis with motorcycles that hail to the GREAT NIPPON ^__^ and have AZN names despite not really being AZNs?

If you care about the canon and dislike seeing mish-mashs and overal defacement of original canons, I'm sure you'd rather start with an original concept.

Well, I'm an overall FT newb (except for Star Wars and a little Star Trek history), so I don't know what you mean by AZN.

And, I say each to their own, but I'd never be caught dead trying to mix up the Star Wars lore.

Lhazastan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Lhazastan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Azn means "Asian." notably Chinese and Japanese
The Lhazarane State (FT)
The Matriarchy of Lhazastan (MT)

Factbook

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004

Postby Thrashia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Cerantia wrote:Hey... Let's say I'm a complete Star Wars geek, read everything (including the Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Last of the Jedi, some lesser books) from Darth Bane till about the Thrawn Trilogy, and I want to start off in Future Tech. Are their any other Star Wars-like FT countries out there? If so, what timeline did you start in? What is a good timeline place to start (aka Hand of Thrawn duology, Truce at Bakura, Darth Bane trilogy, ect.)?

I think this falls within my domain...

Hi there Cerantia and welcome to NS FT. I have played a Star Wars tech-based nation since I started back in '04. One thing you have to understand about NS is that we have to make our own stories and backgrounds, meaning that though we use the details from Lucas Lore, we do not "act" or roleplay as the actual cannon versions. The example being that there was another player, who still lurks about, named Unified Sith who claimed back in the day to be the Galactic Empire and his main characters were Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader. We had another player, Coreworlds (who I shudder to mention), who played a Republic-esque nation with Jedi and other...things...I guess would be the best way to describe them.

Unified Sith based his nation of the alternate reality basis that instead of the DS II blowing up and the Emperor and Vader becoming space dust, that the Empire triumped and the Rebels were defeated and scattered (then comes Coreworlds to pick up the cause of fighting against the evil Galactic Empire). In order to combat Coreworlds and any would-be allies of his Unified Sith created an alliance of nations, and named it for his nation's name-sake: the Galactic Empire Alliance.

I was/am a Star Wars fan and was, at that time, using Imperial tech (Star Destroyers, etc). So I naturally joined this alliance. Over time one of my central most characters came to be Grand Admiral Thrawn (who is still my lead character and the ruling regent of my nation). Long story short: the rebels were defeated by myself and another GE nation named Balrogga. Coreworlds disappeared from the NS FT scene. In the wake of this final victory, Unified Sith had kind of an identity crisis of sorts and pulled a galactic-sized genocide-suicide on his own nation. I then stepped in and saved what I could of the Star Wars Galaxy and used my resources to re-create a new Galactic Empire Alliance, but with no Emperor and no Sith except for a small order that is dedicated to killing the likes of Palpy and Vader.

But what is important, I guess, in what I am trying to impart to you is that while there are those nations that come onto NS and start rp'ing the cannon version of events from the SW Lore, not very many of them survive or stay active long enough to move past that to their own stories. I myself have *tweaked* SW-tech to suit my own needs and that of my allies when it suits me. You can check out my factbook in my signature to get a feeling for what I mean.

Hope that answers your question.
Last edited by Thrashia on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Thrashia
Minister

Postby Thrashia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Chronosia is using/conquered Charybdis about two years ago...whether or not he simply burned it to ashes or actually occupied it though is up to debate. Feel free to go find out though. I'll watch. :D
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Thrashia wrote:

Chronosia is using/conquered Charybdis about two years ago...whether or not he simply burned it to ashes or actually occupied it though is up to debate. Feel free to go find out though. I'll watch. :D

I did a search and couldn't find anything. I didn't find a few Charybdis star-clusters though.. Do you have a link to it?
Last edited by Kreanoltha on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Thrashia
Minister

Postby Thrashia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Thrashia wrote:

I did a search and couldn't find anything. I didn't find a few Charybdis star-clusters though.. Do you have a link to it?

It was on the old boards. Talk to Chron about it. Maybe you two can set up an rp for it or something.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Thrashia wrote:

Jolt purged the old NS. Linking to it is impossible.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Stedicules wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

Jolt purged the old NS. Linking to it is impossible.

I know. I didn't know it was on the Jolt forums. I've got a TG out. If he has it still I'm going with Typhon or Karkinos assuming that Scylla isn't take too.
Last edited by Kreanoltha on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Mohawk Clans
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mohawk Clans » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey, I have a question for all of you, or rather I want your opinions

Ever since I started roleplaying, I had my Empire set in a alternate galaxy so I could avoid conflicts with other players( Like saying I took a new planet as a colony, called PX-12. Another players screams he already owns said nation)
I always maintained it was a small galaxy and the only way in where the uncountable wormholes that appeared in my galaxy

Is this a bad idea or a good one?

Cherry Cup Resurrection Runner-Up
WCOH 16 Runner-Up
Participated in:
WCOH 12,14,16,17, Cherry Cup Resurrection
Ranked 45th for WCOH

Halzak
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Halzak » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Mohawk Clans wrote:Hey, I have a question for all of you, or rather I want your opinions

Ever since I started roleplaying, I had my Empire set in a alternate galaxy so I could avoid conflicts with other players( Like saying I took a new planet as a colony, called PX-12. Another players screams he already owns said nation)
I always maintained it was a small galaxy and the only way in where the uncountable wormholes that appeared in my galaxy

Is this a bad idea or a good one?

if its for the purpose of you not wanting your nation being wiped out b/c its based in the Milky Way then I'd find it reasonable (assuming of course that your assets in said galaxy are not invulnerable to an invasion/retalitory strike).
MT Military Factbook - National Anthem

"Glória in excélsis Deo.” --- "Glory be to God on High."

Xenohumanity
Minister

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

A question of FTL engine choice...

Postby Xenohumanity » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Hmm...

For my RP's, I've always used good-ol'-fashioned, Halo-style Slip Space drives.

HOWEVER...

For the sake of second opinions, what type of FTL drive would make the most sense, realistically?
Which would be the 'most flavorful' (most out-of-the-ordinary and flashy)?

Warp drives?
HyperSpace engines?
Slip-Space systems?
Something else?

NS, I turn to you to aid me in my FT RP!!!
Factbook - Officially Good Enough To Show The In-Laws

Mohawk Clans
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mohawk Clans » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Xenohumanity wrote:Hmm...

HOWEVER...

For the sake of second opinions, what type of FTL drive would make the most sense, realistically?

Warp drives?
HyperSpace engines?
Slip-Space systems?
Something else?

I was always under the impression that they were all about the same speed wise, and what you used depended on personal preference

Cherry Cup Resurrection Runner-Up
WCOH 16 Runner-Up
Participated in:
WCOH 12,14,16,17, Cherry Cup Resurrection
Ranked 45th for WCOH

Halzak
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Halzak » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Mohawk Clans wrote:

HOWEVER...

Warp drives?
HyperSpace engines?
Slip-Space systems?
Something else?

I was always under the impression that they were all about the same speed wise, and what you used depended on personal preference

^This

Though I've heard that FTL isn't possible according to SCIENCE!.

I make use of alcubierre metrics (essentailly a warp drive) though its a very primitive type of tech that can only propel my ships at the most up to 20 ly (if aided by a warp gate) or on its own up to 1.5 ly
MT Military Factbook - National Anthem

"Glória in excélsis Deo.” --- "Glory be to God on High."

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 pm

HOWEVER...

Warp drives?
HyperSpace engines?
Slip-Space systems?
Something else?

Yeah, I've always been partial to slipspace drives as well, although I call them translight drives myself. If I was going for realistic I would use wormhole drives so long as you have good shielding. They would rip apart your ship otherwise. They're the only form of FTL possible according to our current understanding of the universe. They would also provide near instantaneous travel. However, I still prefer slipspace.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives