NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Enzo Turga
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enzo Turga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Dead Snow wrote:
Enzo Turga wrote:
NOU

*waves fist at snowy*

lulz. maybe in the future we can have a skirmish...

Maybe...
Selarian Federation Factbook (FT)
List of Conflicts
Turgan-GWO War-Victory
Berouvian Civil War-Stalemate
Tamsian Oil Conflict-Victory
Revolution on Helghan's Moon of Calm-Victory
The Bug Expansion-Victory
Pandora Conflict-Victory

Solar Communes
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solar Communes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Properly designed missiles for space flight and drones are the most versatile armaments in Space. If a space battle was an combat between two men, lasers and ballistics would be the "knives" while the missiles and drones would be the "guns".
Ж
Space Anarchist Miscegenated Black&White Viking Vampire Shapeshifting Pirates in Space.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, North Point, Varejao, Ulanpataar, Sharfghotten, Franberry, Tyrandis, Rosbaningrad, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania: All unjustly deleted. 09/27 Nevar Forget.
Abandon Humanity, one step at a time | Suffer not the Yiffster. Join ANTIFA: The Anti-furry Alliance
Solar Communes Wiki | World of Dustpeople(Species Factbook) | Documentary on Solarian Diplomacy with Aliens
Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Enzo Turga wrote:
But this is very hot light. Personally, I preffer to base my weapons off of plasma too.

This. Plasma is far more damaging than either lasers or bullets.

It's also a [i]lot[i] harder to wield. It dissipates in a heartbeat, can't be contained beyond a few metres reliably and in general as a long range weapon is pretty damn useless.

IMO: What weapon type you use is irrelevant. A weapon does damage. For story purposes, that's all you need.

Also: What Solar Communes said.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Mohawk Clans wrote:So basically, on the ground, solid projectile is better but in space, laser is somewhat better?
On the ground... Yes, pretty much. In space... Well...

It depends heavily on the technological paradigms involved. Lasers can be better than projectiles. But it's not a certainty.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Dead Snow
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dead Snow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:02 pm

Rethan wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

It's also a [i]lot[i] harder to wield. It dissipates in a heartbeat, can't be contained beyond a few metres reliably and in general as a long range weapon is pretty damn useless.

IMO: What weapon type you use is irrelevant. A weapon does damage. For story purposes, that's all you need.

oh rethan. you have to go and destroy my weapon don't you... >.>

Rethan
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:04 pm

I is sorry Snowy. I make exceptions for particularly epic people. Also, plot. I'm just worried about people going LOL I USE PLASMA I IS BETTER because Plasma sounds cool. Plasma is highly damaging, it's just hard to contain beyond a few metres. Not impossible, just hard. Heck, I sue Plasma Sheaths for Suicidium.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Rethan wrote:I is sorry Snowy. I make exceptions for particularly epic people. Also, plot. I'm just worried about people going LOL I USE PLASMA I IS BETTER because Plasma sounds cool. Plasma is highly damaging, it's just hard to contain beyond a few metres. Not impossible, just hard. Heck, I sue Plasma Sheaths for Suicidium.

Plasma flamethrowers FTW. Cleanse the Rethan scum!
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Dead Snow
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dead Snow » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 pm

'Ghetto Blaster':
A newer weapon slowly being introduced across the fleet is the Mercury Vortex Rail Gun. The design is based around a standard rail gun, once the correct current is reached a mercury bead is injected into the barrel. The mercury flashes into a highly conducting vapour. The electromagnetic field from high current discharge accelerate plasma out of the barrel. The plasma then forms a group of vortices that wrap around each other heading to the intended target, when the reach the minimum distance the wrapped vortices compress the plasma in a violent explosion. This can cause immense damage to a ships structure and/or shields. The vortices can reach temperatures of +20,000°c, meaning any object passing through/near the beam are in for a scalding.
The minimum distance for the vortices to reach is ~ 25,00km.
There are many draw backs to this, the main being the release of mercury vapour; a highly toxic substance to most biological creatures. The Reich is looking for ways to store this safely and use it as a weapon.

What about this?

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Enzo Turga wrote:
But this is very hot light. Personally, I preffer to base my weapons off of plasma too.

How would plasma be more damaging than an equivalent energy/ energy density laser or bullet?

Ignoring containment issues et al. I mean, we're all using FTL and shields and shit, 's long as nobody claims their plasma's omgrealistic, I'm not bothered about that.

But unless there's a warhead and mass/ energy conversion involved, energy in = energy out, meaning that in terms of damage potential, the three are pretty much equal (Bullet has the bonus of having much greater momentum than the laser or the plasma, though, making it the most destructive, if also the least likely to actually score a hit. Bit of a tradeoff, there).
Last edited by Arthropoda Ingens on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Rethan wrote:I is sorry Snowy. I make exceptions for particularly epic people. Also, plot. I'm just worried about people going LOL I USE PLASMA I IS BETTER because Plasma sounds cool. Plasma is highly damaging, it's just hard to contain beyond a few metres. Not impossible, just hard. Heck, I sue Plasma Sheaths for Suicidium.

Impossible outside of handwavium.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Polish Worlds
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Polish Worlds » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Plasma flamethrowers are a mandatory item.

Like heat-rays.

But yes, plasma weapons will be like "shotguns" in FT ground combat.

If you want to go with a handwaved solution just invent a purely fictional word for it like "Tiberium Cannon". It tends to prevent this sort of discussion and opposition to it greatly because it doesn't pull scientific names from RL to attempt looking like realistic.
Last edited by Polish Worlds on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poland Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and Supermarine Spitfires IN SPACE! Tripods included. Wikistates Article

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the Moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy, United States of Lyra, Ursa Major Treaty Organization, 1961

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Rethan wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:

It's also a lot harder to wield. It dissipates in a heartbeat, can't be contained beyond a few metres reliably and in general as a long range weapon is pretty damn useless.

It only dissipates if you lack the proper containment methodology. My RP weapons produce a compression field around it to keep it hot and contained until it come in contact with a large object. Then if it maintains contact with it for more than two seconds it dissipates and allows the plasma to expand catastrophically.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.
#NSLegion. For all your NS-FT RPing needs.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:It only dissipates if you lack the proper containment methodology. My RP weapons produce a compression field around it to keep it hot and contained until it come in contact with a large object. Then if it maintains contact with it for more than two seconds it dissipates and allows the plasma to expand catastrophically.
This makes your plasma weapon weaker than a laser, though. You're expending energy to create the plasma, you're expending energy to move the plasma, and...

And you're expending energy to generate the containment/ compression field.

The last one's the problem. The energy you put into containing the plasma, other people can put straight into their projectiles or lasers.

It should be noted that the 'Catastrophic Expansion' of your plasma is useless. 'Catastrophic Expansion' (Vaporisation of material, and gas generally requires a lot more space than solid material. Cue shockwave) is an inherent property of pretty much any weapon that hits with enough energy for a hard kill. Whether it's a laser, a projectile, or something more exotic - material (I.e. parts of the target's hull and interior) gets vaporised and 'Catastrophic Expansion' happens.

EDIT: For that matter, whether you expend energy to create the plasma ('Heating Stuff') or to simply accelerate it (As in a projectile) is completely irrelevant. The energy content of whatever you're firing remains the same. You'd be served just as well if you just fired your plasma without first turning it into a plasma, dumping all that energy into acceleration rather than heating. It'll get dumped into the target either way.
Last edited by Arthropoda Ingens on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:
Rethan wrote:It's also a lot harder to wield. It dissipates in a heartbeat, can't be contained beyond a few metres reliably and in general as a long range weapon is pretty damn useless.

It only dissipates if you lack the proper containment methodology. My RP weapons produce a compression field around it to keep it hot and contained until it come in contact with a large object. Then if it maintains contact with it for more than two seconds it dissipates and allows the plasma to expand catastrophically.

This is also known as handwavium.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Vetokia Prime
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetokia Prime » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Tag.
Nation Retired.
Storm_: "Truly. I wish to hit her so hard that whoever pulled me out of him will be crowned the next King of England. I will conquer Asia to build an Empire for the manpower that would build the machine I would use to tap that ass. I would initiate a forbidden ritual to ascend to the next step of existence, so I could hit her like the fist of an angry god."

Drakcon
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Drakcon » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Well on the whole plasma weapon tech thingy, your weapon doesn't need to fire plasma to be a plasma weapon.

A real world weapon developed by the U.S. Air Force called the Pusled Energy Projectile is a type of laser system that heats the surface of the target creating a small amount of exploding plasma. It is now a non-lethal weapon but it can be used as a lethal weapon, a early name was Pulsed Impulsive Kill Laser (PIKL).

I use a larger and more powerful version for my ship based weapons and I am contemplating using a similar version of the above for infantry weapons.
The Grand Empire of Drakcon
My Fact Book| My Foreign Affairs Ministry

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:It only dissipates if you lack the proper containment methodology. My RP weapons produce a compression field around it to keep it hot and contained until it come in contact with a large object. Then if it maintains contact with it for more than two seconds it dissipates and allows the plasma to expand catastrophically.
This makes your plasma weapon weaker than a laser, though. You're expending energy to create the plasma, you're expending energy to move the plasma, and...

And you're expending energy to generate the containment/ compression field.

The last one's the problem. The energy you put into containing the plasma, other people can put straight into their projectiles or lasers.

It should be noted that the 'Catastrophic Expansion' of your plasma is useless. 'Catastrophic Expansion' (Vaporisation of material, and gas generally requires a lot more space than solid material. Cue shockwave) is an inherent property of pretty much any weapon that hits with enough energy for a hard kill. Whether it's a laser, a projectile, or something more exotic - material (I.e. parts of the target's hull and interior) gets vaporised and 'Catastrophic Expansion' happens.

EDIT: For that matter, whether you expend energy to create the plasma ('Heating Stuff') or to simply accelerate it (As in a projectile) is completely irrelevant. The energy content of whatever you're firing remains the same. You'd be served just as well if you just fired your plasma without first turning it into a plasma, dumping all that energy into acceleration rather than heating. It'll get dumped into the target either way.

I tend to use my own version of hand handwavium known as massive-reactorium. Plus I like technobable. Basically the idea is to create a supper-compressed version of plasma that is several times hotter than anything that could occur naturally. A few shots to take out the shields and then another one or two to destroy the ships hull.
I'M BACK!!!

"The size of ones internet spaceboats are inversely proportional to the size of ones penis."

FT only.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Drakcon wrote:A real world weapon developed by the U.S. Air Force called the Pusled Energy Projectile is a type of laser system that heats the surface of the target creating a small amount of exploding plasma. It is now a non-lethal weapon but it can be used as a lethal weapon, a early name was Pulsed Impulsive Kill Laser (PIKL).
That's sort of like calling a rifle an Organic Matter Disruptor. Personally, I think that when one's weapon fires a laserbeam that's supposed to do the damage, it's sensible to call it a laser weapon, just like I consider it sensible to call a rifle that fires a bullet a projectile weapon, rather than an organic matter disruptor.

Of course, this does bring up the point that we'd call pretty much all of these things a 'Gun'.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Polish Worlds wrote:Plasma flamethrowers are a mandatory item.

Like heat-rays.

But yes, plasma weapons will be like "shotguns" in FT ground combat.

If you want to go with a handwaved solution just invent a purely fictional word for it like "Tiberium Cannon". It tends to prevent this sort of discussion and opposition to it greatly because it doesn't pull scientific names from RL to attempt looking like realistic.

Heat rays, you say? Don't forget tripods.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Drakcon wrote:A real world weapon developed by the U.S. Air Force called the Pusled Energy Projectile is a type of laser system that heats the surface of the target creating a small amount of exploding plasma. It is now a non-lethal weapon but it can be used as a lethal weapon, a early name was Pulsed Impulsive Kill Laser (PIKL).
That's sort of like calling a rifle an Organic Matter Disruptor. Personally, I think that when one's weapon fires a laserbeam that's supposed to do the damage, it's sensible to call it a laser weapon, just like I consider it sensible to call a rifle that fires a bullet a projectile weapon, rather than an organic matter disruptor.

Of course, this does bring up the point that we'd call pretty much all of these things a 'Gun'.

Yeah. It mostly comes down to the Rule of Cool. Do you like bolts of plasma or chunks of metal flying at near-light-speed better?
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Rethan
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:54 pm

Bolts of metal, easy.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:I tend to use my own version of hand handwavium known as massive-reactorium. Plus I like technobable. Basically the idea is to create a supper-compressed version of plasma that is several times hotter than anything that could occur naturally. A few shots to take out the shields and then another one or two to destroy the ships hull.
That doesn't address the points I made. I don't care about the handwaving - we all do it, and most freely acknowledge it. Besides, plasma's a SciFi staple in the first place, so can't really blame people for using it -, and I see no issues with plasma weapons, silly though they are in a 'Realistic' context. But one could violate physics far worse than that (And everyone with FTL or energy shields does so). That's all pretty cool with me.

My issue is solely the idea of the plasma weapon being somehow significantly more destructive than an equivalent energy-input laser or projectile.

Your idea of super-compressed plasma's perfectly ok (Okay, so if we were to RP out a fight, I'd probably work a bit of snark into a post on account of some of the issues with it, but I do the same thing with the products of my own imagination, too), but there's really no reason for it to violate conservation of energy and for that matter, it'd actually be unbalancing if it somehow did this. And while unbalancing's likewise perfectly cool within the universe of one's own imagination, doing so tends to cause issues when one wishes to interact with other people (Read: Roleplay). Other people may not like being disadvantaged for, quite frankly, rather silly reasons very much.

So I'd really suggest keeping it as about level with lasers or projectiles in terms of destructive potential.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:I tend to use my own version of hand handwavium known as massive-reactorium. Plus I like technobable. Basically the idea is to create a supper-compressed version of plasma that is several times hotter than anything that could occur naturally. A few shots to take out the shields and then another one or two to destroy the ships hull.
That doesn't address the points I made. I don't care about the handwaving - we all do it, and most freely acknowledge it. Besides, plasma's a SciFi staple in the first place, so can't really blame people for using it -, and I see no issues with plasma weapons, silly though they are in a 'Realistic' context. But one could violate physics far worse than that (And everyone with FTL or energy shields does so). That's all pretty cool with me.

My issue is solely the idea of the plasma weapon being somehow significantly more destructive than an equivalent energy-input laser or projectile.

Your idea of super-compressed plasma's perfectly ok (Okay, so if we were to RP out a fight, I'd probably work a bit of snark into a post on account of some of the issues with it, but I do the same thing with the products of my own imagination, too), but there's really no reason for it to violate conservation of energy and for that matter, it'd actually be unbalancing if it somehow did this. And while unbalancing's likewise perfectly cool within the universe of one's own imagination, doing so tends to cause issues when one wishes to interact with other people (Read: Roleplay). Other people may not like being disadvantaged for, quite frankly, rather silly reasons very much.

So I'd really suggest keeping it as about level with lasers or projectiles in terms of destructive potential.

Maybe this is just me, but I've found that there is no real difference in weapons is terms of damage. Everyone has their own little tweak that makes their weapons the best.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Kreanoltha wrote:Maybe this is just me, but I've found that there is no real difference in weapons is terms of damage.
Err... Yes. That is the point I'm making. You were quite explicitly denying this very point mere minutes ago, though:
Kreanoltha wrote:This. Plasma is far more damaging than either lasers or bullets.
I'm happy to learn that you've changed your mind, though.

Everyone has their own little tweak that makes their weapons the best.
Not really. I at least have never described my IC weaponry as 'Best' or 'Better', nor as 'Worse' or 'Worst'. I tend not to quantify it, especially not relative to other people.
Last edited by Arthropoda Ingens on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kreanoltha
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreanoltha » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Kreanoltha wrote:Maybe this is just me, but I've found that there is no real difference in weapons is terms of damage.
Err... Yes. That is the point I'm making. You were quite explicitly denying this very point mere minutes ago, though:
Kreanoltha wrote:This. Plasma is far more damaging than either lasers or bullets.
I'm happy to learn that you've changed your mind, though.

Everyone has their own little tweak that makes their weapons the best.
Not really. I at least have never described my IC weaponry as 'Best' or 'Better', nor as 'Worse' or 'Worst'. I tend not to quantify it, especially not relative to other people.

Well then I was arguing in purely scientific terms, but in RP term I agree.
I'M BACK!!!

FT only.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives