NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:01 am

The 44th Indp Legion wrote:
Steel Confessors wrote:
That it would. I imagine 'lolchearg' tactics against a slowly marching meatgrinder would be pretty A.

Although, that might be so. Could wind up trading tech and handing over basic Acolyte implants for the infantry. I'd imagine a line musket would fuck up an Acolyte though.

speaking of 'lolchearg' tactics, are close combat weapons (swords, machete's, etc) still viable in FT? I know I use them because (ICly) of the 'inhereted tactics' of my nation combined with a perpetual war with an enemy that is very fond of using mind-controlled lobotomised humans as their main infantry asset, but in a more 'normal' situation such as urban warfare, would they still be effective?

Not likely, at least not without a plot device to render ranged weapons magically ineffective. A sword would be as large as a carbine and no more handy in close-combat, but without the ability to simply shoot the enemy. A basic knife will be useful at least as a utility tool, but there won't be any use for bigger weapons, and only limited use for the knife.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Hyperspatial Travel
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Hyperspatial Travel » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 am

Ularn wrote:Not outlawed; just licenced, and it's for the very reason you and Sen have pointed out - you don't want just anyone flying around space with potential weapons of mass destruction.

To be fair, any ship capable of travelling at a decent clip of lightspeed is a potential weapon of mass destruction. It's why in the Talythian core systems, all ships are forced to dock at Lagrange points in order to transfer cargo to smaller, (usually government-run) shuttles and other cargo craft, if they want to land cargo. If a ship wants to land cargo itself, or simply get into orbit, it needs to submit to being flown by state pilots and having its navcomp slaved to the system's defenses.
Huerdae: You know, I'd kick a queen in the tits if she acted like that.

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 am

Hyperspatial Travel wrote:
Ularn wrote:Not outlawed; just licenced, and it's for the very reason you and Sen have pointed out - you don't want just anyone flying around space with potential weapons of mass destruction.

To be fair, any ship capable of travelling at a decent clip of lightspeed is a potential weapon of mass destruction. It's why in the Talythian core systems, all ships are forced to dock at Lagrange points in order to transfer cargo to smaller, (usually government-run) shuttles and other cargo craft, if they want to land cargo. If a ship wants to land cargo itself, or simply get into orbit, it needs to submit to being flown by state pilots and having its navcomp slaved to the system's defenses.

Fast ships are a different position though. If you see a ship speeding towards your planet you can calculate when they reach the latest point at which they could decelerate to a safe velocity and avoid a collision. After that, you'd probably still have several hours to deal with the ship, either by getting the crew to alter course or by commandeering or destroying it. You have many more options in dealing with approaching ships than you do regarding weapons which can be launched at close range without warning.

The UIF also has procedures in place to safeguard its space. Any ship approaching a UIF space station has to surrender remote access to its own self destruct to local traffic control, just in case they try anything stupid.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Dtn (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dtn (Ancient) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 am

Ularn wrote:
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:

Fast ships are a different position though. If you see a ship speeding towards your planet you can calculate when they reach the latest point at which they could decelerate to a safe velocity and avoid a collision. After that, you'd probably still have several hours to deal with the ship, either by getting the crew to alter course or by commandeering or destroying it. You have many more options in dealing with approaching ships than you do regarding weapons which can be launched at close range without warning.

The UIF also has procedures in place to safeguard its space. Any ship approaching a UIF space station has to surrender remote access to its own self destruct to local traffic control, just in case they try anything stupid.

Ularn sounds like a really great place to be a space suicide bomber.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 am

Dtn wrote:
Ularn wrote:Fast ships are a different position though. If you see a ship speeding towards your planet you can calculate when they reach the latest point at which they could decelerate to a safe velocity and avoid a collision. After that, you'd probably still have several hours to deal with the ship, either by getting the crew to alter course or by commandeering or destroying it. You have many more options in dealing with approaching ships than you do regarding weapons which can be launched at close range without warning.

Ularn sounds like a really great place to be a space suicide bomber.

Because you'll be blown to smithereens light-hours short of your intended target? Yup.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Dtn (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dtn (Ancient) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:47 am

What happens if you tamper with the self destruct device?

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 am

Dtn wrote:What happens if you tamper with the self destruct device?

By "you" are you referring to the would-be terrorists disabling it to hamper efforts to stop them, or the traffic controllers who might hypothetically blow up a ship for teh lulz?
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

Ascentech Strategic Solutions
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ascentech Strategic Solutions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 am

what if the terrorists bribe the traffic controllers to detonate the ship?

Dtn (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dtn (Ancient) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:05 am

What happens if someone on the ship attempts to disable the self destruct advice?

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascentech Strategic Solutions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:09 am

I thought they put the self destruct in there, like to stop it being captured by the enemy, and they're handing over the control of it so they don't detonate it in harbour and kill a bunch of people, that'd be lame.

System-Lord Baal
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby System-Lord Baal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 am

Or best yet: what if there is no self-destruct? Ships are too bloody expensive to blow up at the push of a button.

Also, melee combat is a very important part of nation's tactics. If it is a mission that absolutely can't be performed by ships at all, then they will send in infantry. My standard infantry are usually designed for close-range combat with staff weapons that can be alternately used as both short-ranged (about 60 meters) and melee (think like a ninja stick with clubbed ends). Blades and heavy cannons are also often used. The infantry themselves have armour that will stop bladed and sharp weapons, but not armour-piercing projectile or energy weapons.

I would assume that they would not fare well against other nations. So far, they have never been needed in an RP in an actual warzone situation (I will and do use ships for as much as possible). Also, in an actual warzone situation I will use shielded tanks:
^like thus. I expect them to bear the brunt of any artillery and let them clear the way for the footsoldiers. Any suggestions on improving this in the face of other FT nations?
Last edited by System-Lord Baal on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Goa'uld- Self-Appointed Rulers of all Creation
At noon Elijah began to tease them. "Shout louder!" he said. "I'm sure Baal is a god! Perhaps he has too much to think about. Or maybe he has gone to the toilet. Or perhaps he's away on a trip. Maybe he's sleeping. You might have to wake him up."
(1 Kings 18:27 NIRV)
Non-WA
The Fourth Dynasty Goa'uld Empire
Population: 3,000,230,250
Military: 340,027,630
WA
Farrow-Marshal Aeronautics Corporation
Population: 41,120
Military: 102
Remember, "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascentech Strategic Solutions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:44 am

air support, lots of air suppport

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:49 am

Ascendancy vessels have none of theses 'big red buttons' of which you speak. If we need to destroy our own spacecraft in a hurry we just turn off our drives and let the ship be torn to shreds by quick-interaction flowmetal decay.
*nods*

Also, 44th, though close-combat weapons may seem obsolete they still have a place in FT- inside a ship. In any other battlefield you'll want to go with a gun/laser/disrupt or almost every time, but throwing around bullets/plasma inside a small pressurized hull in a vacuum has always struck me as a poor life choice. Mind you, I don't think boarding actions are in any way useful, but in rare cases (capturing a derelict space hulk, xenomorph infestation) being able to cut the alien bugs a new one without burning holes in the layer of armor between you and explosive decompression is very handy.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

System-Lord Baal
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby System-Lord Baal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:51 am

Ascentech Strategic Solutions wrote:air support, lots of air suppport

Already got that.

They would have glider and al'kesh support certainly. That's standard procedure. Al'kesh are heavy bombers that will shield landing troops, follow closely overhead to scout positions, and provide cover fire. The infantry would enter buildings when needed. Their primary function is to sack and secure things.
At noon Elijah began to tease them. "Shout louder!" he said. "I'm sure Baal is a god! Perhaps he has too much to think about. Or maybe he has gone to the toilet. Or perhaps he's away on a trip. Maybe he's sleeping. You might have to wake him up."
Non-WA
WA
Remember, "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascentech Strategic Solutions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:58 am

oooh pretty.

In that case, consider a longer range version of that infantry staff thing to issue to a sort of designated marksman, or a lighter weight version of the cannon to function as a sort of LMG, I have a feeling at 60m in FT you're going to be consistently outranged in open terrain.

for close in terrain, which it sounds like your infantry is going to be mostly employed, that staff looks like a pain in the ass, imagine trying to get it through doors. Any chance of, like a carbine variant?

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:00 am

Jaffa tend to be more of a "zerg rush" type of army. They'd always outnumber the SG teams, and they had to. The P90 and other ballistic weapons used by the USAF were simply better once they switched to AP rounds. Carter put a very fine point on this in one episode by completely showing up a rebel Jaffa in target practice without even trying.

You'll fare better in urban environments; but if an enemy infantry squad sets up a firing line you're hosed unless you lead with armored elements.

I'm fairly certain that's a canon vehicle, but there's really no reason for the gunner to be that exposed. I know Goa'uld technology is pretty retarded when it comes to utility over flashiness (which is part of the point, in fairness), but not having at least an armored canopy over the gunner is tantamount to suicide even if it is shielded.

Once you take your lickings at the hands of one or more "alien" armies, assuming your resident Goa'uld is not arrogant enough to think himself invincible, start leading with air elements like Death Gliders and Al'kesh. You may even look into modifying the Al'kesh chassis to remove its transport ability (for some of your Al'kesh, of course. You still need transports), turning it into more of a dedicated air support platform.

Use these craft in a one-two punch to try and achieve local air superiority, or at least force a stalemate. You'll probably also need to develop heavier armored vehicles and infantry fighting vehicles; things with the durability to get your Jaffa footsoldiers into cover. Eliminate your enemies' range advantage and let your superior numbers overwhelm them.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:02 am

Baal, on the topic of your infantry.... to me the Jaffa armor always seemed ludicrously ineffective as portrayed. Perhaps you could integrate some of the super-soldier armor into a chest plate etc? It might be a touch more expensive, but otherwise in FT that armor is just so much decorative tin foil.

The staff weapons are good though, concentrated energy is always a handy weapon. Perhaps you should focus on infantry-light forces in actual warzones, with gliders, alkesh, and your tanks doing the heavy lifting with infantry support against anti-armor concentrations.

Think Blitzkrieg.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Dtn (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dtn (Ancient) » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 am

You could always ditch the TV mooks for something more like the movie, then go even further and integrate comms and sensors into the helmet. Aim the staff with a HUD. Armor doesn't need to be powered, but it would be very helpful if it was sealed.

System-Lord Baal
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby System-Lord Baal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 am

Feazanthia wrote:Jaffa tend to be more of a "zerg rush" type of army. They'd always outnumber the SG teams, and they had to. The P90 and other ballistic weapons used by the USAF were simply better once they switched to AP rounds. Carter put a very fine point on this in one episode by completely showing up a rebel Jaffa in target practice without even trying.

You'll fare better in urban environments; but if an enemy infantry squad sets up a firing line you're hosed unless you lead with armored elements.

I'm fairly certain that's a canon vehicle, but there's really no reason for the gunner to be that exposed. I know Goa'uld technology is pretty retarded when it comes to utility over flashiness (which is part of the point, in fairness), but not having at least an armored canopy over the gunner is tantamount to suicide even if it is shielded.

Once you take your lickings at the hands of one or more "alien" armies, assuming your resident Goa'uld is not arrogant enough to think himself invincible, start leading with air elements like Death Gliders and Al'kesh. You may even look into modifying the Al'kesh chassis to remove its transport ability (for some of your Al'kesh, of course. You still need transports), turning it into more of a dedicated air support platform.

Use these craft in a one-two punch to try and achieve local air superiority, or at least force a stalemate. You'll probably also need to develop heavier armored vehicles and infantry fighting vehicles; things with the durability to get your Jaffa footsoldiers into cover. Eliminate your enemies' range advantage and let your superior numbers overwhelm them.

*cough* I'm pretty certain it isn't canon in the least, since I invented it. Darn show didn't have tanks. I think it's properly flashy.

I also invented the ultra-heavy hok al'kesh class. That is a giant flying cannon platform.

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Baal, on the topic of your infantry.... to me the Jaffa armor always seemed ludicrously ineffective as portrayed. Perhaps you could integrate some of the super-soldier armor into a chest plate etc? It might be a touch more expensive, but otherwise in FT that armor is just so much decorative tin foil.

The staff weapons are good though, concentrated energy is always a handy weapon. Perhaps you should focus on infantry-light forces in actual warzones, with gliders, alkesh, and your tanks doing the heavy lifting with infantry support against anti-armor concentrations.

Think Blitzkrieg.

I do have some Kull armour variants, but it's by no means widespread. Goa'uld industry is crap. Rather- knowing that the armour is so useless- I often dispense with it altogether and have scantily-dressed female warriors. Doesn't do much difference considering standard Jaffa armour. ;)

And truly, the Goa'uld would rather have al'kesh drop a great deal of bombs all over the enemy troops than engage directly.

Dtn wrote:You could always ditch the TV mooks for something more like the movie, then go even further and integrate comms and sensors into the helmet. Aim the staff with a HUD. Armor doesn't need to be powered, but it would be very helpful if it was sealed.

I already have HUDs in the helmets. I just don't pass out a lot of helmets.

And the movie guys were even less armoured:
Movie vs. TV show
Non-WA
WA

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascentech Strategic Solutions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:28 am

If you're very rarely going to be using infantry and ground forces, then consider making them small elite, specialised units, what sort of missions are we talking about? what do you have at your hands that's gonna let you do win in those specific situations?

Feazanthia
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2004

Postby Feazanthia » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:29 am

Well, kudos; as it looks like something the show creators would've come up with :P

But still. Put an armored canopy on it when it's being deployed for actual combat missions and not, y'know, terrorizing civilians.
<Viridia>: Because 'assisting with science' is your code-phrase for 'fucking about like a rampant orangutan being handed the keys to a banana factory'
The Local Cluster - an FT Region

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Ascentech Strategic Solutions » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 am

or specialise it for terrorising civlians and make a tankier tank for doing...tank things

System-Lord Baal
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby System-Lord Baal » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 am

Ascentech Strategic Solutions wrote:If you're very rarely going to be using infantry and ground forces, then consider making them small elite, specialised units, what sort of missions are we talking about? what do you have at your hands that's gonna let you do win in those specific situations?

No, I need hordes of unspecialized mooks to control my ultra-massive slave population. The Jaffa infantry is the police, and often the judge, jury, and executioner. I also need the Jaffa to incubate larval Goa'uld. As the larva give the Jaffa advanced powers anyway, it makes since to militarize them.

And mostly, they are supposed to fight each other as the Goa'uld lords try killing each other over territory and wealth.

Those are their prime functions. I also happen to use them in alien combat situations. They are expected to secure enemy bases, round up civilians and surrendered troops, and hold the captured land for the Empire.

For special missions I have guys in Kull armour and "ChA teams" (chaapa'ai teams). Those are perfect for sneaking into places and utterly blasting everything in their path.

Feazanthia wrote:Well, kudos; as it looks like something the show creators would've come up with :P

But still. Put an armored canopy on it when it's being deployed for actual combat missions and not, y'know, terrorizing civilians.

Bleh. If I do that I'll make it more golden.

Also, usual weapons (outlined one is not done being drawn by yours truly):

Cho'laar is my invention. It's for my ultra-heavy Goa'uld troops, which use it as something a little more carbine-sized, but it is operable by regular troops as well.

Ascentech Strategic Solutions wrote:or specialise it for terrorising civlians and make a tankier tank for doing...tank things

No. :( It's perfect for terrorizing civilians as is and I love it. Tanks are not so cool as when they look like light flying boats with hieroglyphs on them, and then they drive into a bazaar and utterly pummel screaming people.
Last edited by System-Lord Baal on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Non-WA
WA

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:42 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:Has anyone seen the movie Core?
Yes. It would miss out on the record for movie scientific inaccuracy only because 2012 was released some years after. The Core averages one scientific error every two minutes.

On melee weapons, I think a purely melee weapon would be somewhat pointless. Something with ranged and melee capability, however, is worthwhile. Could be a rifle with a bayonet on the end, or some sort of combination energy blade/blaster. Even lightsabers aren't solely melee weapons, since a skilled user can block incoming blaster fire with one.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Ularn
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:42 am

Ascentech Strategic Solutions wrote:I thought they put the self destruct in there, like to stop it being captured by the enemy, and they're handing over the control of it so they don't detonate it in harbour and kill a bunch of people, that'd be lame.

Surrendering the self destruct is so that traffic control can blow up a ship remotely if it appears to try and ram the space station or another vessel, thereby limiting the damage.

Dtn wrote:What happens if someone on the ship attempts to disable the self destruct advice?

I guess there's very little traffic control can do to prevent them from disabling their own self-destruct, though such an act would be treated as an offence if they were caught and they'd be heavily fined. If the self destruct didn't work on a suicide bombing ship then the warships in the system defence picket tasked with protecting the station would deal with it in short order.

Ascentech Strategic Solutions wrote:what if the terrorists bribe the traffic controllers to detonate the ship?

Traffic Controllers are in a position where they could massacre thousands with a few keystrokes. The recruitment process tends to weed out the ones who might be susceptible to bribery.

System-Lord Baal wrote:Or best yet: what if there is no self-destruct? Ships are too bloody expensive to blow up at the push of a button.

Very few ships are likely to have self-destruct commands wired to a Big Red Button, but I imagine pretty much all of them would have the ability to self destruct through other means like programming the engine or reactor to overload. It would be these sorts of commands that mus be surrendered. If there is really no way to make the ship self-destruct then they would be barred from docking with the station and all loading or unloading would have to be performed via the aid of other smaller ships and shuttle craft - at the crew's expense.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
P2tM

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives