NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Flag Bracket (Congratulations to Valentine Z!)

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Zeritae wrote:
-Astoria wrote:It's 5:39pm here down under - no, not Australia.

NZ?

Image Nowhere near - although we do have someone from NZ.

New Solaurora
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Solaurora » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 pm

-Astoria wrote:
Zeritae wrote:NZ?

Image Nowhere near - although we do have someone from NZ.

Judging on your english I'm guessing southern Africa. Although you could be from South America but I don't know how common English is as a second language there.
---------
New Solaurora
---------

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:16 am

New Solaurora wrote:
-Astoria wrote:Image Nowhere near - although we do have someone from NZ.

Judging on your english I'm guessing southern Africa.

Wrong area, right continent - and that's as much as I'll publicly state.

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:14 am

Sorry for being less active towards the end of the contest, personal real life stuff and stuff :P

But Co gratulations to Valentine Z and the entire top 16 ^^
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:20 am

Thanks everyone. Thanks especially to -Astoria, for requesting an archive of this thread before I did, and to everyone who upvoted the dispatch all the way to third place.

I have the OP ready for the next competition, so unless anyone wants an additional delay, it will be up tomorrow!
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Thanks everyone. Thanks especially to -Astoria, for requesting an archive of this thread before I did.

I have the OP ready for the next competition, so unless anyone wants an additional delay, it will be up tomorrow!

Is it another flag contest?

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 am

Drongonia wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:Thanks everyone. Thanks especially to -Astoria, for requesting an archive of this thread before I did.

Is it another flag contest?

Yes, it is another flag contest, and furthermore a flag bracket. There will be some slight differences in the rules, but it will function virtually the same as this one.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Onocarcass
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2011

Postby Onocarcass » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:36 am

Any time there's a bunch of good looking flags on display, I'll be there to at least watch. Maybe get some ideas on how to fix my uglier province flags, lol.
Onocarcan Factbook

NationStates Flag Bracket II - 5th Place!
Everybody needs to calm down a bit

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 am

Onocarcass wrote:Any time there's a bunch of good looking flags on display, I'll be there to at least watch. Maybe get some ideas on how to fix my uglier province flags, lol.

Help you with that, I can.

Onocarcass
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2011

Postby Onocarcass » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:44 am

-Astoria wrote:
Onocarcass wrote:Any time there's a bunch of good looking flags on display, I'll be there to at least watch. Maybe get some ideas on how to fix my uglier province flags, lol.

Help you with that, I can.

Might have to take you up on that at some point, there's a few near the bottom that I'm not particularly happy with atm. But I'll probably try to work them out myself a bit first.
Onocarcan Factbook

NationStates Flag Bracket II - 5th Place!
Everybody needs to calm down a bit

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019

Postby Drongonia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:45 am

Debating whether or not to submit this one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (sorry Astoria)
Last edited by Drongonia on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:59 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I have the OP ready for the next competition, so unless anyone wants an additional delay, it will be up tomorrow!

Oh nice! This time, I'm going to take part in it, with two of flags my own(just need to make the edges of my other flag more crisp and change the colour scheme slightly and it should be ready to go).
Drongonia wrote:Debating whether or not to submit this one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
-image-

Well, its your choice, of course, but in my opinion, it does look quite nice albeit some glaring similarities with a particular flag....You never know, you might get a bit of a surprise with how well it might do, as shown with your other flags during the previous flag bracket.
Last edited by Paradeavenlisian States on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paradiraneami Taihou | ParadeavenlisianStates | ᚚᚐᚏᚐᚇᚔᚏᚐᚅᚓᚐᚋᚔ ᚈᚐᚔᚆᚑᚒ
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:16 am

Paradeavenlisian States wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I have the OP ready for the next competition, so unless anyone wants an additional delay, it will be up tomorrow!

Oh nice! This time, I'm going to take part in it, with two of flags my own(just need to make the edges of my other flag more crisp and change the colour scheme slightly and it should be ready to go).
Drongonia wrote:Debating whether or not to submit this one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
-image-

Well, its your choice, of course, but in my opinion, it does look quite nice albeit some glaring similarities with a particular flag....You never know, you might get a bit of a surprise with how well it might do, as shown with your other flags during the previous flag bracket.

See you soon...

You have a nice flag. I think you will do quite well.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 am

Drongonia wrote:Debating whether or not to submit this one :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (sorry Astoria)
(Image)

Touché - but I'm still gonna submit this one. :p

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:25 am

Oof time to get resources and time to finalize the design of this flag :P
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Third ZSeparatists
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Third ZSeparatists » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 am

I honestly don't think a factbook of our results is a good idea. It does nothing but show the failures of 63 people. How about just listing the top 4 instead?
The big (not) gay

Glurponia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Glurponia » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:35 am

Can't wait for the May bracket! I have two great flags ready to go.

The Tri-Planetary Coalition. A medium power on the galactic stage, with the internal squabbles you might expect from three different species with no shared history at all. It seems to work, however, as our many exports and intellectual wealth fund the highest quality of living this side of Central.
Glurponia uses NS stats and more or less represents my political views. Alternatively, here's my Political Compass

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:41 am

Third ZSeparatists wrote:I honestly don't think a factbook of our results is a good idea. It does nothing but show the failures of 63 people. How about just listing the top 4 instead?

Well, it's already published. The top 8 are actually the main highlight there, not the "failures" of the bottom 56. That's why Valentine Z's trophy is right at the top.

The reason for the dispatch was as much to celebrate as it was to remember it, just in case -Astoria's archive request doesn't go through.

See you all next time! Again, I'm planning to open submissions tomorrow unless someone wants to delay it. For this bracket it took three days for all 64 spots to be taken, and given the enthusiasm now I'm expecting all 64 spots for the next one to be filled in one day, possibly two. So if you need to change your flag, do so quickly.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Third ZSeparatists
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Third ZSeparatists » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:43 am

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Third ZSeparatists wrote:I honestly don't think a factbook of our results is a good idea. It does nothing but show the failures of 63 people. How about just listing the top 4 instead?

Well, it's already published. The top 8 are actually the main highlight there, not the "failures" of the bottom 56. That's why Valentine Z's trophy is right at the top.

The reason for the dispatch was as much to celebrate as it was to remember it, just in case -Astoria's archive request doesn't go through.

See you all next time! Again, I'm planning to open submissions tomorrow unless someone wants to delay it. For this bracket it took three days for all 64 spots to be taken, and given the enthusiasm now I'm expecting all 64 spots for the next one to be filled in one day, possibly two. So if you need to change your flag, do so quickly.

I meant for the next bracket. Sorry for the confusion.
The big (not) gay

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:49 am

Just in time for my longer GIF to be done! :P

I will see what I want to submit this time, hehe.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:41 pm

I thought I will shamelessly plug here first, so... here's my possible entry for the next one, along with new flags that I want to submit.

My GIF flag: https://gfycat.com/perfectremarkableamethystgemclam

The bad news is, I still can't find a way to export this mammoth to .gif to be displayed here, because NS doesn't read gfycat.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Valentine Z wrote:I thought I will shamelessly plug here first, so... here's my possible entry for the next one, along with new flags that I want to submit.

The bad news is, I still can't find a way to export this mammoth to .gif to be displayed here, because NS doesn't read gfycat.

The rule currently in the draft for the OP is that it has to at least be possible to embed.

I tried converting it to a GIF myself, since my video editor Kdenlive supports rendering as a GIF, and was about to report my success to you, but the result was a 61.3 megabyte file that will probably make the already very long load time for editing the bracket even longer (my attempts to embed it here resulted in load times rivaling that of submitting the bracket). It also seems to slow down my browser when it tries to load it.

Nonetheless, here it is.
Last edited by The Cosmic Mainframe on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Valentine Z wrote:I thought I will shamelessly plug here first, so... here's my possible entry for the next one, along with new flags that I want to submit.

The rule currently in the draft for the OP is that it has to at least be possible to embed.

I tried converting it to a GIF myself, since my video editor Kdenlive supports rendering as a GIF, and was about to report my success to you, but the result was a 61.3 megabyte file that will probably make the already very long load time for editing the bracket even longer. It also seems to slow down my browser when it tries to load it.

Nonetheless, here it is.

Thanks! :hug:

I will see if I can like speed it up, or export the original as a GIF.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:The rule currently in the draft for the OP is that it has to at least be possible to embed.

I tried converting it to a GIF myself, since my video editor Kdenlive supports rendering as a GIF, and was about to report my success to you, but the result was a 61.3 megabyte file that will probably make the already very long load time for editing the bracket even longer. It also seems to slow down my browser when it tries to load it.

Nonetheless, here it is.

Thanks! :hug:

I don't think the image itself is slow, since my image viewer displays it at full speed, and if I right click on the image and "open in Chrome" I get full speed as well. I've had this issue before when trying to work with really large GIFs; I think whatever methods browsers use to render GIFs are just slow when working with large files over a network.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:23 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Thanks! :hug:

I don't think the image itself is slow, since my image viewer displays it at full speed, and if I right click on the image and "open in Chrome" I get full speed as well. I've had this issue before when trying to work with really large GIFs; I think whatever methods browsers use to render GIFs are just slow when working with large files over a network.

Hmm, that's interesting! I am having the same issue on VLC as well... ah well, I will see what I can do for the contest! I might half the frame rate and link the full/smooth version as an url tag.

Thanks for this wonderful competition once again! ^^

EDIT: I am dumb. I was using the raw file and was wondering why it was so crap. :P The raw file from PowerPoint has half the frame rate and thus was made slower. I can put it in BBCode, but now it's static.

Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives