NATION

PASSWORD

The Senate Daily Life: Living by Alternative Facts

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tectonix
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Viel waved his hand is a dismissing manner. "No need, madam — you may call me Alexios. There's no need for formality on such an emotional day as today."

He turned back to Leopoldo, noticing his sadness. "You shouldn't beat yourself up over this, mate. Political office is a fickle thing, and one slip-up can dash an entire career. Of course, this isn't what happened in your case — you were simply on the ticket at the wrong time. If you'd been with, say, Krishnan, you'd be our Vice President." He sighed, before continuing. "Keep fighting for what you believe is right, even if I or my coalition don't agree with it. If you actually, genuinely believe that what you are advocating will make this country a better place, it will always find a receptive ear in my and administration's offices. That person may not vote in favour of it, or that President may not sign it, but at least you would have shown your dedication to this country and its legislature."

Nodding to himself, Viel stood up. "As long as you aren't some fervent ultra-libertarian that wants to pulverise unions into the ground or deny healthcare to millions, we won't be getting in each other's way. If you have any ideas regarding healthcare or labour rights, I encourage you to let me know." He zipped up his jacket, but didn't leave so Leopoldo would have the chance to respond.
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36
Senator Giovanni Galatis of the DP
Member of the Democratic Party of Galatea - For the many, not the few

Cuprum
Senator

Founded: Jun 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cuprum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Cities: Infrastructure improvements highlighted in Montalban multi-billion investment project
Montalban, New Guernsey| Posted: 24 Jul 2017 16:31 TST| International

A REPORT has highlighted infrastructure needed in Montalban before 2040.

The report by professional and technical services firm Oliveira Organization, highlights the need for long-term investment. For the first time Montalban councillors are working together to develop a joint strategy detailing the county’s key infrastructure requirements.

Projects include improvements to the A24, bus routes to be improved linking key locations and congestion on the A130.

Once complete, the Montalban Growth Board will have a new infrastructure strategy that will identify, map and support the county’s strategic infrastructure requirements. It is estimated currently that the anticipated growth will cost around $9 billion to deliver. Councillor Artur Alves dos Reis said: “We know growth is inevitable – the task is to ensure that it is sustainable for the benefit of local people. Investment in infrastructure will ensure that jobs are created, schools and hospitals built or improved and transport links developed for the benefit of communities now and in the future.”

The Oliveira Organization report is published on the Montalban Growth Board website at http://www.Montalban.gov.fer/growthboard and there is an opportunity to submit comments online.
Last edited by Cuprum on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm

"Two hundred fifty thousand is chump change. I can get that fronted in advance just by announcing I'm working on my fifteenth book," Senator Bella quipped to the shadowy figure. "And they'll clear out everyone squatting in that scrap yard? How much to trap them in there and burn the fucker down on top of them? Yeah? Your idea is intriguing, but I can't commit."

"I have a better idea. The factory has personnel records. So we can discover where all these striking workers live, right? Good, good. No deal yet. Back burner idea. If I want to you to proceed, you'll hear from me. Keep my name out of it of course."
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:29 pm

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND POLICING
FORTALEZA, FERNÃO

Pursuant to Section 2a of the Vital Records Act of 2017, I hereby appoint Dr Mohammad Al-Ghamdi as Director of the Vital Records Administration.

Pursuant to Section 6b of the Vital Records Act of 2017, I hereby appoint Dr Samantha Chow as Chief Coroner of Fernão.

Kareema Hanoora
Acting Attorney General

Done in Fortaleza
on 23 July 2017

Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Some scrap metal factory
Outskirts of Fortaleza

As the sit-in continued on the industrial site, the local police made little effort to make its presence known. The riot police was not summoned, nor was the federal police or even a mobile command van. No more than two dozen officers clad in their usual garb of baseball caps and light-blue short-sleeved shirts patrolled the site at any given time, armed with little more than flashlights (the lone sergeant had a revolver tucked away in its holster, never fired in anger in twenty-two years) and not even having bothered to put on their stabproof vests.

Suddenly, a 1989 Hindustan Ambassador, which was caked in so much dust and mud that one would be excused not to realise that it was white, pulls up, and out steps a woman clad in dress uniform whose heavy metal-clad epaulettes slightly sagged on her petite shoulders. It was Maria Gandhi, chief commissioner of the Fortaleza Police Force.

She walks up to a picketer and asks in a polite yet strident tone to be taken to the strike leaders.
Last edited by Ainin on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Scrap Metal Factory,
Outskirts of Fortaleza

Senator Vishal Vig had promised to help the striking scrap workers any way he could and he had had no intention to break that promise. On this particular day, Vig and much of his senatorial staff arrived at the factory holding large boxes of fresh apples, sandwiches and water bottles to hand out to the workers that had been sitting in for several days at this point, as well as being offered to the nearby police officers. Vishal himself sat with some of the workers and talked for an hour or so, discussing everything from politics to family. He sat with the strikers when one organizer stood up and read out a letter from the office of the Presidency, promising some kind of help in terms of workers' rights. There was cheering but the strike was not over yet.

Several hours later, Vig saw a woman he recognized as Maria Gandhi approach the strike. She was led inside the factory building, where around a table several men and woman were planning the logistics of keeping the strikers fed, watered and clean. One man said "Hello madame, I am Kumari Panikkar, president of the I.S.W.U.F, this is the executive committee of the Union."

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:07 pm

"Vig's down there with them? Damn, that sucks. Oh, well." Senator Null Bella cursed his television as he sat at home recovering from his wounds at the scrap yard sit-in and near collapse on the Senate floor.

Bella picked up the phone and dialed a number from memory. "Yes, I think I will write that fifteenth book. You got the names, right? Tell the owners to announce the mass firings and get the police involved in removing the trespassers. It's time these thugs get hit close to home."

+++++++

Hours later, several tenament housing complexes near Forteleza's industrial park caught fire, burning the homes of many of the striking workers.

++++++

Senator Null Bella arrived at the industrial park in a shiny limousine, riding with him a few bosses from the scrap works.
Motioning to the police, Bella called out 'the strike is over! These people have all been fired and are now trespassing on private property. Do your duty, constables, and clear this area."
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism wrote:Scrap Metal Factory,
Outskirts of Fortaleza

Senator Vishal Vig had promised to help the striking scrap workers any way he could and he had had no intention to break that promise. On this particular day, Vig and much of his senatorial staff arrived at the factory holding large boxes of fresh apples, sandwiches and water bottles to hand out to the workers that had been sitting in for several days at this point, as well as being offered to the nearby police officers. Vishal himself sat with some of the workers and talked for an hour or so, discussing everything from politics to family. He sat with the strikers when one organizer stood up and read out a letter from the office of the Presidency, promising some kind of help in terms of workers' rights. There was cheering but the strike was not over yet.

Several hours later, Vig saw a woman he recognized as Maria Gandhi approach the strike. She was led inside the factory building, where around a table several men and woman were planning the logistics of keeping the strikers fed, watered and clean. One man said "Hello madame, I am Kumari Panikkar, president of the I.S.W.U.F, this is the executive committee of the Union."

After shaking the man's hand, Maria looked around and politely nodded to acknowledge the presence of the other strike leaders, vocalising some quiet 'nice to meet yous'. Taking a notebook out of her breast pocket, she began talking.

"Mr. Panikkar, I'm afraid that I am not here for leisure. We believe that the continuation of this strike could pose a real danger to the safety of all participants involved, and I am here to extend an offer on behalf of the municipal government to mediate in the matter."

Upon hearing some commotion outside, she quietly thought to herself: 'that came earlier than I thought.'

Outside the factory, the duty sergeant turns around and stares at the new arrivals with bemusement. Soon enough, most of his men had also made their way to the front of the factory, where the hotshot executives were standing. None of them looked particularly impressed. If they thought that they could force an officer of the law to do their dirty business, they had another thing coming.

"Sir," the on-scene commander said in a manner that was intended to both be passably polite and incredibly condescending, "I can't do that for you. The Criminal Code, which is a law that we have to follow, says that the police can only disperse crowds when they hurt people."

His second-in-command, a newly-promoted head constable, quickly interjected. It seemed that the 10 hours of paralegal training that he undertook last month as part of a police training seminar would come handy after all. "Sir, we don't evict people on demand, that's not the job of law enforcement. If you want assistance with eviction, you need a court ruling in your favour first. We will be glad to assist once you have a temporary injunction restraining these people from the site."

The sergeant replies, with a faint smirk barely visible on the corner of his mouth. "I suppose we could ticket them for trespassing."

His corporal promptly answers, his voice betraying the fact that the officers were simply trolling the executives at this point. "Sir, I don't think we brought enough tickets."

New World Oceania
Secretary

Founded: Jun 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby New World Oceania » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Senate Lobby
Fortaleza, Fernão | July 24, 2017 | Noon

President Eliot embraces wife, Elsinore, after being
sworn in as the fourth President of the Republic.

"Please raise your right hand, and repeat after me. I, Vienna Prufrock Eliot—"
"I Vienna Prufrock Eliot,"
"do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute and uphold—"
"do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute and uphold,"
"the laws of Fernão to the best of my abilities—"
"the laws of Fernão to the best of my abilities,"
"that I will protect the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Fernão—"
"that I will protect the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Fernão,"
"and that I shall consider it my utmost solemn duty—"
"and that I shall consider it my utmost solemn duty,"
"to protect the sovereignty and democracy of Fernão—"
"to protect the sovereignty and democracy of Fernão; so help me God."
"Congratulations, Mr. President."

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Kumari Panikkar looked around to the other members of the Union's executive committee, and after a few seconds of silence, turned back to the chief commissioner. "We will gladly accept municipal mediation, but we intend to continue the sit-in until a suitable agreement is reached and agreed to by both sides."

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 pm

Ainin wrote:
The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism wrote:Scrap Metal Factory,
Outskirts of Fortaleza

After shaking the man's hand, Maria looked around and politely nodded to acknowledge the presence of the other strike leaders, vocalising some quiet 'nice to meet yous'. Taking a notebook out of her breast pocket, she began talking.

"Mr. Panikkar, I'm afraid that I am not here for leisure. We believe that the continuation of this strike could pose a real danger to the safety of all participants involved, and I am here to extend an offer on behalf of the municipal government to mediate in the matter."

Upon hearing some commotion outside, she quietly thought to herself: 'that came earlier than I thought.'

Outside the factory, the duty sergeant turns around and stares at the new arrivals with bemusement. Soon enough, most of his men had also made their way to the front of the factory, where the hotshot executives were standing. None of them looked particularly impressed. If they thought that they could force an officer of the law to do their dirty business, they had another thing coming.

"Sir," the on-scene commander said in a manner that was intended to both be passably polite and incredibly condescending, "I can't do that for you. The Criminal Code, which is a law that we have to follow, says that the police can only disperse crowds when they hurt people."

His second-in-command, a newly-promoted head constable, quickly interjected. It seemed that the 10 hours of paralegal training that he undertook last month as part of a police training seminar would come handy after all. "Sir, we don't evict people on demand, that's not the job of law enforcement. If you want assistance with eviction, you need a court ruling in your favour first. We will be glad to assist once you have a temporary injunction restraining these people from the site."

The sergeant replies, with a faint smirk barely visible on the corner of his mouth. "I suppose we could ticket them for trespassing."

His corporal promptly answers, his voice betraying the fact that the officers were simply trolling the executives at this point. "Sir, I don't think we brought enough tickets."

"I was injured by these thugs earlier," Senator Bella protested, gesturing to his bandaged head. "These men will proceed to inform each striking worker one-by-one and face-to-face that they have been fired. They do have their termination of employment papers, for all of them. In triplicate." Bella gestured towards long file boxes sitting in the limousine.

"I trust you can radio for more trespassing tickets before we're done."

Retrieving a file box, Senator Bella pulled one and called out "AAZAR, Mahmoud. Forklift operator. Your services are no longer required. Return the keys you were issued on September 24th, 1997 and vacate the premises. You are fired."

"AAZAR, Naseef, Welder / grinder. Your services are no longer required. Return your tools issued on May 13, 2002 and vacate the premises. You are fired."

The bosses enter the gates and call out "When you hear your name called, turn in any company property you may possess on your person and leave the premises. You have all been fired."

The horizon glows as news of the tenament complex fires where many of the striking workers live reaches the sit-in. Some of the workers try to leave to rush home to their families, only to find a fleet of tow trucks hauling away cars from the employee parking lot. Others become agitated when informed that their last paychecks will be mailed minus the cost to repair or replace any equipment they had signed resposibility of custody forms for when they became employees.

"They can take any disputes to court, right Sergeant?"
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Miaphysite Church of Coptic Archism » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Senator Vig and the crowd of striking workers watched quietly as the union bosses, led by a man who they'd never seen before, spoke with the police. After a while, the bosses entered the gates and announced that they would be firing every employee. While it was a terrible financial decision and it would cost tens or hundreds of thousands to train up an entire new factory's worth of staff, somehow the strikers got the feeling that this was not a bluff. One or two workers trickled out of the strike defeated, but the majority stayed put.

Somewhere in the crowd, a guitar started strumming, and a voice began singing. "Solidarity forever!" Vishal immediately recognized the union folk song, which also happened to be his party's official anthem. He smiled and started singing along to the tune. Slowly, the strikers began joining in until the entire union became a choir of protest, their combined voices drowning out the union bosses calling out names. The strikers stood up and formed a human shield near the entrance to the property, stopping the bosses from getting any further in.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 pm

"Well ain't that some commie shit," Bella snorted at the strains of Solidarity Forever to the tune of Glory, Glory Hallelujah. "They can't even create their own fuckin' music."

"Senator Vishal Vig is not an employee of the Forteleza Scrap Works. He is clearly trespassing. Arrest him immediately and disperse this illegal assembly. I will remind you of castle doctrine for property owners."

At that, Senator Bella popped the trunk of his limousine and began issuing MP5 variant pistols to his gathered staff as well as the scrap yard bosses. "Officer, this man is the owner of the scrapyard, which has a trailer with a kitchen and bedroom from which he lives as a second home. These trespassers are endangering his home. He will testify that we are assisting him defend his home. Arrest them for burglary if they make it out of the gates. You may want to call for ambulances."

At that, Senator Bella racked a round in his pistol and headed for the gates.
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:58 pm

Breaking News

Fire and rescue units are overwhelmed as apparently intentionally set fires swept through tenament housing near the Forteleza Industrial Park. It is believed that many of the families of workers involved in the sit-in strike at the Forteleza Scrap Works live in these buildings. The incendiary devices appear to be simple handfuls of magnesium powder, readily available in the scrap yards, placed on the buildings' gas mains and propane tanks and set on fire. As the magnesium burns super-hot, it melts through the metal casing of the buildings' gas tanks and explodes, creating an instant inferno. Several hundreds of people have been severely injured and hundreds more homes have been destroyed. A previously unknown terror group calling itself "Instant Trauma" is claiming responsibility. Their goals and ideology are unknown.

Some viewers have called in and noted that "Instant Trauma" is a song by Senator Null Bella's former techno-punk band Lysenko's Harvest. Lyrically the song contains tasteless references to the assassination of John Lennon, but was also the title of a 2002 comedy film. Senator Bella could not be reached for comment.
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 am

Many of the officers, unsure what to do as they had never seen gunmen before, shuffled towards the gate to physically block the senator, knowing that they could offer little resistance if he used his weapon. The duty sergeant picks up his radio and frantically calls the dispatch centre.

"This is Tango 31, several suspects with firearms. Potential mass shooting. Requesting immediate backup."

Shortly enough, the tactical squad and every authorised firearms officer within a 10 kilometre radius was ordered to head to the industrial park.

After putting the radio down, he placed his hand on his holster and with a booming voice began shouting commands, praying to God that they would obey.

"HALT! You are all under arrest for possession of a weapon of mass destruction and attempted murder. Drop the weapons, on your knees, hands behind your backs."

Roosevetania
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 am

Scrap Metal Factory,
Outskirts of Fortaleza

Ana Ernst shows up to greet the striking workers. She says to them, "I have not been nominated to fill a cabinet position concerned with labor, but I promise to lend you as much support as I can." She shakes Vishal Vig's hand and says quietly to him, "Sorry about the election. You ran a great campaign." She sits down and begins to learn the lyrics of Solidarity Forever. She is okay and not in danger, and random senators and aides ridiculously showing up to shoot striking workers are smitten by her IGNORE CANNON.
White Male, Libertarian Socialist, Anti-Fascist, United Methodist, American Deep South
Pro: socialism, anarchism (ideally), antifa, radical democracy, universal liberation, gun rights, open borders, revolution
Anti: capitalism, the state, authoritarianism, capitalist wars, capital punishment, Israel, generally most bourgeois institutions

Yang Jianguo, Member of the Revolutionary People's Party in the NS Parliament

Socialist Nordia
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Nordia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 am

Scrap Metal Factory,
Outskirts of Fortaleza

Nisha Gadhavi arrives and enters the factory to help out the striking workers. She had brought as much water and snacks as her vehicle could carry, and began to give them out to noticeably hungry and thirsty demonstrators. The logistics of a strike like this are obviously a challenge. She then went to greet Vishal Vig and Ana Ernst, then singing along to the familiar lyrics of solidarity forever.
Internationalist Progressive Anarcho-Communist
I guess I'm a girl now.
Science > Your Beliefs
Trump did 11/9, never forget
Free Catalonia
My Political Test Results
A democratic socialist nation located on a small island in the Pacific. We are heavily urbanised, besides our thriving national parks. Our culture is influenced by both Scandinavia and China.
Our Embassy Program

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

Ainin wrote:Many of the officers, unsure what to do as they had never seen gunmen before, shuffled towards the gate to physically block the senator, knowing that they could offer little resistance if he used his weapon. The duty sergeant picks up his radio and frantically calls the dispatch centre.

"This is Tango 31, several suspects with firearms. Potential mass shooting. Requesting immediate backup."

Shortly enough, the tactical squad and every authorised firearms officer within a 10 kilometre radius was ordered to head to the industrial park.

After putting the radio down, he placed his hand on his holster and with a booming voice began shouting commands, praying to God that they would obey.

"HALT! You are all under arrest for possession of a weapon of mass destruction and attempted murder. Drop the weapons, on your knees, hands behind your backs."

Senator Null Bella stood his ground but called to his armed accomplices to lower their weapons but not to disarm.

"All of these men are armed in defense of legal ownership of private and corporate property! These men are all either the owners and authorized security and management of this factory and its grounds or my private bodyguards and official staff of my office in the Fernão Senate. The only attempted murder that has occured here is when those trespassers and burglars inside this factory physically assaulted me and injured my head. The only weapon of mass destruction here is the communist ideology here that these trespassers and burglars holed up in our factory are preaching to subvert the legal ownership of the Forteleza Scrap Works' means of production! The electrical supply to this building running the lights and air conditioning was bought and paid for by the owners and stockholders of this factory and will be shut off, as will the water supply. The abandoned vehicles left on the employee parking lot have been towed away at their owner's expense. As the legal owners and stockholders and security of this facility, we will lock and board up all entrances to prevent further trespass and burglarization of property. I suggest you clear the building of trespassers before we do so. No one inside this building is authorized or welcomed to be there. You have two choices, officer. You can do your goddamn job and clear this building of trespassers, or you can start another civil war!"

Senator Bella was confident his words were being livestreamed on the internet as well as broadcast on national media.

"What's is going to be, officer? THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING! THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING!" Bella started up a chant. He had been using the media as a weapon in publicity stunts since his punk band received a fatwa death threat from the Iranian mullahs nearly 30 years ago, as well as his best selling books and radio talk show. He could imagine this standoff was building his bank account as he spoke.

"No one has to die today. These people have been fired. They are trespassing upon property and disrupting a legal business operation that pays the taxes that paid for your shiny badges and stupid hats. Your actions send a message to every legal property and business owner across the republic, as well as international investors into the Fernãoan economy. If you kill me, you kill Fernão!"

Tow truck operators began rigging up Senator Vig's car to haul away.

The showdown was drawing in a small crowd of far right and libertarian supporters of Senator Bella's talk show, all armed with cell phone cameras and cricket bats. An element of #NeverEliot protesters joined the growing mob outside the factory.
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

The duty sergeant briefly paused and considered his options. There was no way he would permit them to enter the site and harm the occupants.

"Sir," he said in a slow, deliberate tone, never taking his hand off his holster, "my first and foremost duty is to protect law and order. You are endangering it with your violent threats and unlawful weapons."

"There are lawful ways to evict these individuals," he continued, carefully choosing his words, "but this is not one of them. The defence of property is not an absolute defence, and you are posing a real and present danger to the life and limb of many people. Please put your weapons down, and we'll talk."

By this time, the first backup units had begun to arrive. Once on the scene, the officers quickly parked their vehicles in a manner that shielded them from the gunmen and retrieved submachine guns from the trunks. They took up position behind their cruisers, training the sights of the weapons on the executives and the senator in case they made an aggressive move.

Back in downtown Fortaleza, heavily-armed tactical officers were suited up and proceeded to their vans, and a call for backup was made to the Federal Police.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:32 am

William walker pulls up in his little, yellow car.

"Hey, Senator Bella! I saw you on television and I wanted to pull up to give some doughnuts to these nice cops.
Also, is it me, or are you suffering some brain damage?
No offense, of course, but considering you seem to wanna kill a senator - hopefully not me, I-"

"Sir, please," an officer says as he walks up to William.

"Here you go." William shows the officer a doughnut.

"That's not what I'm talking about - but thank you." The officer grabs the doughnut.
"But we're not going to kill anyone, ok? The media's blowing this way out of proportion."

"That's good, because I also heard that the nearby town housing the guys you have hostage was set on fire or something.
Hey, Bella, want a doughnut?"
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

Ainin wrote:The duty sergeant briefly paused and considered his options. There was no way he would permit them to enter the site and harm the occupants.

"Sir," he said in a slow, deliberate tone, never taking his hand off his holster, "my first and foremost duty is to protect law and order. You are endangering it with your violent threats and unlawful weapons."

"There are lawful ways to evict these individuals," he continued, carefully choosing his words, "but this is not one of them. The defence of property is not an absolute defence, and you are posing a real and present danger to the life and limb of many people. Please put your weapons down, and we'll talk."

By this time, the first backup units had begun to arrive. Once on the scene, the officers quickly parked their vehicles in a manner that shielded them from the gunmen and retrieved submachine guns from the trunks. They took up position behind their cruisers, training the sights of the weapons on the executives and the senator in case they made an aggressive move.

Back in downtown Fortaleza, heavily-armed tactical officers were suited up and proceeded to their vans, and a call for backup was made to the Federal Police.

Senator Bella and the factory owner approached the duty sergeant cautiously, while telling his armed men to keep their weapons lowered and pointing at the ground. He chuckled a bit as Senator Gadhavi's vehicle was towed away. At least some people are doing their job

"Respect for law and order is precisely what this is about, Sergeant. The right-wing has a monopoly on respect for law and order since, oh forever. But what you and your men have done is not law and order. Tell me the administrative actions you and your men face for not only observing the crimes of trespass, burglary, property invasion taking place here, but also aiding and abetting these crimes. The signs on the building and lots clearly read 'No Trespassing, Employees Only' and 'Employee Parking Only, Violators Will Be Towed At Owner's Expense.' Nobody in that building is an employee. No car towed away belongs to an employee. When a citizen of Fernão calls the police and reports a burglary and property invasion in progress, he does not have to wait for a court order to have the police respond to remove the burglar from his property. You and your men are clearly violating the constitutional rights of these property owners, who have already called for police assistance in removing trespassers from their property, and rightful and legal ownership of this property is not in dispute. I suggest, while you yourself still have a job before my lawyers turn your entire police department into a historical footnote, that you cease and desist your criminal aid and comfort to the terrorists occupying this building and preventing the legal owners from entering, and do your goddamn job. I will remind you that the criminal participation in the subversion of legal property rights and crimes in progress makes your own orders unlawful and within the legal property owners rights to disobey in security of their property. You will clear this building and arrest the trespassers, or you will be jailed with them. Do you and your men submit to citizen's arrest?"
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roosevetania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:00 am

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Ainin wrote:Many of the officers, unsure what to do as they had never seen gunmen before, shuffled towards the gate to physically block the senator, knowing that they could offer little resistance if he used his weapon. The duty sergeant picks up his radio and frantically calls the dispatch centre.

Senator Null Bella stood his ground but called to his armed accomplices to lower their weapons but not to disarm.

"All of these men are armed in defense of legal ownership of private and corporate property! These men are all either the owners and authorized security and management of this factory and its grounds or my private bodyguards and official staff of my office in the Fernão Senate. The only attempted murder that has occured here is when those trespassers and burglars inside this factory physically assaulted me and injured my head. The only weapon of mass destruction here is the communist ideology here that these trespassers and burglars holed up in our factory are preaching to subvert the legal ownership of the Forteleza Scrap Works' means of production! The electrical supply to this building running the lights and air conditioning was bought and paid for by the owners and stockholders of this factory and will be shut off, as will the water supply. The abandoned vehicles left on the employee parking lot have been towed away at their owner's expense. As the legal owners and stockholders and security of this facility, we will lock and board up all entrances to prevent further trespass and burglarization of property. I suggest you clear the building of trespassers before we do so. No one inside this building is authorized or welcomed to be there. You have two choices, officer. You can do your goddamn job and clear this building of trespassers, or you can start another civil war!"

Senator Bella was confident his words were being livestreamed on the internet as well as broadcast on national media.

"What's is going to be, officer? THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING! THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING!" Bella started up a chant. He had been using the media as a weapon in publicity stunts since his punk band received a fatwa death threat from the Iranian mullahs nearly 30 years ago, as well as his best selling books and radio talk show. He could imagine this standoff was building his bank account as he spoke.

"No one has to die today. These people have been fired. They are trespassing upon property and disrupting a legal business operation that pays the taxes that paid for your shiny badges and stupid hats. Your actions send a message to every legal property and business owner across the republic, as well as international investors into the Fernãoan economy. If you kill me, you kill Fernão!"

Tow truck operators began rigging up Senator Vig's car to haul away.

The showdown was drawing in a small crowd of far right and libertarian supporters of Senator Bella's talk show, all armed with cell phone cameras and cricket bats. An element of #NeverEliot protesters joined the growing mob outside the factory.

OOC: You can't magically have angry armed mobs show up at the factory, and you can't magically tow people's vehicles and command the police.
Jutsa wrote:William walker pulls up in his little, yellow car.

"Hey, Senator Bella! I saw you on television and I wanted to pull up to give some doughnuts to these nice cops.
Also, is it me, or are you suffering some brain damage?
No offense, of course, but considering you seem to wanna kill a senator - hopefully not me, I-"

"Sir, please," an officer says as he walks up to William.

"Here you go." William shows the officer a doughnut.

"That's not what I'm talking about - but thank you." The officer grabs the doughnut.
"But we're not going to kill anyone, ok? The media's blowing this way out of proportion."

"That's good, because I also heard that the nearby town housing the guys you have hostage was set on fire or something.
Hey, Bella, want a doughnut?"

Ernst, always a fan of donuts, asks Walker for one.
White Male, Libertarian Socialist, Anti-Fascist, United Methodist, American Deep South
Pro: socialism, anarchism (ideally), antifa, radical democracy, universal liberation, gun rights, open borders, revolution
Anti: capitalism, the state, authoritarianism, capitalist wars, capital punishment, Israel, generally most bourgeois institutions

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:27 am

Roosevetania wrote:
OOC: You can't magically have angry armed mobs show up at the factory, and you can't magically tow people's vehicles and command the police.

OOC: No magic involved. Police actively assisting the takeover of a private business property and the denial of entry of rightful property owners into their legal property while allowing trespassers to squat and shut down a business would piss off a whole damn bunch of people. The police have not yet expanded their disruption of private business to stop the tow company from carrying out their contract to tow non-employee vehicles off the lot. And, with the factory owners on the spot, they can hire any "angry mobster" on the spot to help shutter and board up their building. Perhaps you should address your false godmod accusations to the hivemind in the factory when my worker npcs inside among the strikers decide to set the place on fire. ;)
Last edited by Nulla Bellum on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roosevetania
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Roosevetania » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 am

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Roosevetania wrote:

OOC: No magic involved. Police actively assisting the takeover of a private business property and the denial of entry of rightful property owners into their legal property while allowing trespassers to squat and shut down a business would piss off a whole damn bunch of people. The police have not yet expanded their disruption of private business to stop the tow company from carrying out their contract to tow non-employee vehicles off the lot. And, with the factory owners on the spot, they can hire any "angry mobster" on the spot to help shutter and board up their building. Perhaps you should address your false godmod accusations to the hivemind in the factory when my worker npcs inside among the strikers decide to set the place on fire. ;)

But you don't control the police. You can't godmod the actions of the police.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:40 am

OOC: I'm going to ignore the magical mob. They couldn't have gotten to the site in time.

"Senator," the sergeant repeats while putting emphasis on every single syllable, "I will repeat myself once more. Put the weapon on the ground. Your ignorance of the law will only make things worse for everyone involved."

Suddenly, a loud and high-pitched voice erupted from a factory window, amplified by a megaphone borrowed from the strikers. A scorned Maria had seen everything unfold from inside the building.

"This is the commissioner of police. You are under arrest on suspicion of unlawful weapon possession and resisting arrest. Drop the gun."

An officer breaks away from the confrontation and uses his cruiser to block the way of the tow truck. He orders the driver out and reads to him from a piece of paper in his pocket. "I am a duly-empowered law enforcement officer and I am invoking the power of posse comitatus. You are required by federal law to surrender this tow truck to me for as long as I deem necessary for the apprehension of a criminal suspect."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives