NATION

PASSWORD

[NSGS] Social Liberal Party

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arachaea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachaea » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:18 am

The Sarian wrote:
Belmaria wrote:The SLP's priorities lie in opposing social conservatism and supporting social liberalism. We'll have a better chance of advancing that cause with the Lib Dems than with Elizia First.

You do know that we're not social conservatives, right. Unless you apply western standards, but why would anybody do that in a RP?

Elixirs First specifically describe themselves as social conservative, and PtH have a lot of policies based off of religion, and we are a secular party.
The Principality of Arachaea

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:38 am

Arachaea wrote:
The Sarian wrote:You do know that we're not social conservatives, right. Unless you apply western standards, but why would anybody do that in a RP?

Elixirs First specifically describe themselves as social conservative, and PtH have a lot of policies based off of religion, and we are a secular party.

Yes, because it's South East Asia.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Nariterrr
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:31 am

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT for the SLP by putting this on you sig -

Code: Select all
[b]Member of the [url=https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=383830][color=#FF4000]Social Liberal Party[/color][/url][/b]. Click the orange text to learn more.

Member of the Social Liberal Party. Click the orange text to learn more.
Honestly who knows what about anything anymore.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm

The Sarian wrote:
Arachaea wrote:Elixirs First specifically describe themselves as social conservative, and PtH have a lot of policies based off of religion, and we are a secular party.

Yes, because it's South East Asia.

And that should totes change our political positions. Because, as we all know, Western parties like Yabloko can't exist in the East. Ever.
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

Lykens
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:29 pm

I feel like Russia and Eastern Asian are two separate and not really comparable things.
Looking for a decent RP region to join? Try Greater Olympus.

Good people, Active RPs, Great Maps.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Lykens wrote:I feel like Russia and Eastern Asian are two separate and not really comparable things.

Why do you say that?

Lykens
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Belmaria wrote:
Lykens wrote:I feel like Russia and Eastern Asian are two separate and not really comparable things.

Why do you say that?

Russian culture and Eastern Asian culture are both really conservative, but the reasons for it are different and complicated on their own.

Also Yabloko has no representation in the Duma, whereas we're the largest party.

Sarian does have a point.

Greater Olympus is always looking for more dastardly democracies, maniacal monarchies, contemptible commies, and glorious failed states of all sizes to join our group!

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Lykens wrote:
Belmaria wrote:Why do you say that?

Russian culture and Eastern Asian culture are both really conservative, but the reasons for it are different and complicated on their own.

Also Yabloko has no representation in the Duma, whereas we're the largest party.

Sarian does have a point.

Yabloko previously had a relatively large chunk of the seats in the Duma. I don't think Sarian's point is valid. I think Sarian is just trying to divide and weaken us with baseless trolling, as he has in the past on IRC. I don't recommend lending any credibility to his posts.

Lykens
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:38 pm

45/450 is ten percent I think?

That's pretty insignificant.

Discounting thoughts of our opponents makes us look ignorant and closed minded, let's not be that.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Lykens wrote:45/450 is ten percent I think?

That's pretty insignificant.

Discounting thoughts of our opponents makes us look ignorant and closed minded, let's not be that.

We only have a slightly larger percentage than they did, so it's warranted to openly criticize Sarian's comments; in particular, when taken in the context of the other things he's done over the last 48 hours.

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:46 pm

I think we can agree certain social issues would be viewed pretty conservatively across the board and religious influence would still be felt. An economically modernising platform is a good idea, promoting both business and the employer and ensuring everyone within reason can do well, and it is through using the idea of rebuilding Elizia economically that, if we wanted to, we could begin to slowly bring change in society. This isn't about giving up our ideology, but rather adapting it to the situation. Thus, we can probably bring in economic reform quickly, whereas it probably wouldn't be realistic to instantly end workplace inequality; that would come with time, if at all. That's just my thoughts on the matter.
Last edited by Normandy and Picardy on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 pm

It's official, The SLP is the official opposition of Elizia.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Nariterrr wrote:It's official, The SLP is the official opposition of Elizia.

I think the LDP also voted against. We need to confirm that we're the largest opposition party.

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Belmaria wrote:

I think the LDP also voted against. We need to confirm that we're the largest opposition party.

We are including the LDP in the coalition.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Nariterrr wrote:
Belmaria wrote:I think the LDP also voted against. We need to confirm that we're the largest opposition party.

Oh. I'm gonna get on IRC so we can talk about it then. I have a few more questions.

Sardeed
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardeed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:15 pm

I haven't been very active. but because we are now the opposition, I plan on being more active.
Last edited by Sardeed on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Sardeed wrote:Hey there,

I haven't been very active. but because we are now the opposition, I plan on being more active.

Good, we need as much support as we can get. Let's get to work making Elizia better and holding the new government to account.
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Lykens
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Nariterrr wrote:
Belmaria wrote:I think the LDP also voted against. We need to confirm that we're the largest opposition party.

I don't recall that being discussed, did that happen before I came around?

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Belmaria wrote:

Both parties if I recall have about equal amount of members.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Zurkerx wrote:

Both parties if I recall have about equal amount of members.

I think it's 15 SLP/16 LDP respectively.

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Also, any SLP members wanting to discuss the coalition should TG me for the IRC channel information. Don't give it out to non-coalition members.

Argentarino
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Lykens wrote:Hallo party people.

Most of you know me, some of you don't.

Lykens, yaddah yaddah, don't be a stupid and we'll get along, yaddah yaddah, parliamentary procedure, yaddah yaddah, gerrymandering, yaddah yaddah.

Now that formalities are out of the way.

Our esteemed and honorable lead plans to step down soon, and he has asked that I assist in sprucing up the party, I think the constitution is a bit meh, so I have penned up a quick draft, and I would love to hear some input.

Please don't be shy.

Social Liberal Party Constitution

Section I: The Executive Board
a. The Executive Board of the Social Liberal Party, hereafter referred to as SLPeBoard, shall consist of three members duly elected by the party for one month terms, and two appointed members and be the governing body of this party.
b. The five members shall be the Parliamentary Leader, Chief Whip, Party Chairperson, the Deputy Leader, and Vice Chairperson, with the latter two positions being appointed by the elected members.
c. The Parliamentary Leader shall be the leader, chief spokesperson, and director of the party. They will be served by the Deputy Parliamentary Leader who will fill in for them temporarily when they are unavailable.
d. The Chief Whip shall be in charge of distributing voting suggestions to members as well as liaising between the backbenchers and Executive Board.
e. The Party Chairperson shall be in charge of the day to day affairs of the party, offering advice to the Parliamentary Leader when solicited and maintaining the party thread, they will be assisted by the Vice Chairperson, or have their duties fulfilled by said officer when they are unavailable. Chairpersons will run party elections.
f. The SLPeBoard will have the power to set party policy, call sessions of the party caucus, call for new elections, appoint committees, appoint non SLPeBoard members for indefinite or definite amounts of time without Party Caucus approval, debate resolutions and vote on resolutions, appoint interim SLPeBoard members, discipline members at their discretion, and debate and approve motions regarding any and all other unspecified matters before final approval by the Party Caucus.
g. Motions, resolutions, and other business decided by the SLPeBoard will be considered in effect until the next Party Caucus session ratifies said decisions. If the Party Caucus rejects these decisions, they will no longer be in effect.
h. Quorum shall be three SLPeBoard members, and all decisions must be made by majority vote.
i. Members shall have the right to offer resolutions signed by five other members to the SLPeBoard.
j. Members shall have the right to argue before the SLPeBoard regarding infractions and discipline.

Section II: Elections
a. Elections shall be held once a month following ratification of this constitution.
b. Elections shall last 48 hours, with a 24 hour nomination period, and a 24 hour voting period.
c. If only one person stands for an office, they shall ascend to it upon the end of the nomination process.
d. Members may only run for one office and officers may not hold more than one office.

Section III: Whip
a. Upon the Chief Whip’s recommendation, the SLPeBoard may authorize a one line whip, a nonbinding recommendation, a two line whip, a nonbinding strong suggestion, or a three line whip, a binding order.
b. Members who break a three line whip are subjected to discipline at the discretion of the SLPeBoard.

Section IV: Party Caucus:
a. The Party Caucus will be composed of all members of the Parliamentary Party.
b. Sessions of the Party Caucus will be chaired by the Parliamentary Leader, their deputy, or designated official.
c. The Party Caucus shall be the organ used by the membership to approve or reject actions carried out by the SLPeBoard.

Section V: Amending the Constitution:
a. The Constitution of the Social Liberal Party may be amended after a petition signed by 67% of active and voting members is tabled and voted on by the SLPeBoard and passes by a ⅗ vote.
b. Upon SLPeBoard action, a 24 hour vote will be held in which 75% of active and voting members must vote in the affirmative.

I think that this looks great. Since we're regrouping, we might as well take a swing at adopting a constitution.
Senator Sushila Fonseca
Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Argentarino wrote:
Lykens wrote:Hallo party people.

Most of you know me, some of you don't.

Lykens, yaddah yaddah, don't be a stupid and we'll get along, yaddah yaddah, parliamentary procedure, yaddah yaddah, gerrymandering, yaddah yaddah.

Now that formalities are out of the way.

Our esteemed and honorable lead plans to step down soon, and he has asked that I assist in sprucing up the party, I think the constitution is a bit meh, so I have penned up a quick draft, and I would love to hear some input.

Please don't be shy.

Social Liberal Party Constitution

Section I: The Executive Board
a. The Executive Board of the Social Liberal Party, hereafter referred to as SLPeBoard, shall consist of three members duly elected by the party for one month terms, and two appointed members and be the governing body of this party.
b. The five members shall be the Parliamentary Leader, Chief Whip, Party Chairperson, the Deputy Leader, and Vice Chairperson, with the latter two positions being appointed by the elected members.
c. The Parliamentary Leader shall be the leader, chief spokesperson, and director of the party. They will be served by the Deputy Parliamentary Leader who will fill in for them temporarily when they are unavailable.
d. The Chief Whip shall be in charge of distributing voting suggestions to members as well as liaising between the backbenchers and Executive Board.
e. The Party Chairperson shall be in charge of the day to day affairs of the party, offering advice to the Parliamentary Leader when solicited and maintaining the party thread, they will be assisted by the Vice Chairperson, or have their duties fulfilled by said officer when they are unavailable. Chairpersons will run party elections.
f. The SLPeBoard will have the power to set party policy, call sessions of the party caucus, call for new elections, appoint committees, appoint non SLPeBoard members for indefinite or definite amounts of time without Party Caucus approval, debate resolutions and vote on resolutions, appoint interim SLPeBoard members, discipline members at their discretion, and debate and approve motions regarding any and all other unspecified matters before final approval by the Party Caucus.
g. Motions, resolutions, and other business decided by the SLPeBoard will be considered in effect until the next Party Caucus session ratifies said decisions. If the Party Caucus rejects these decisions, they will no longer be in effect.
h. Quorum shall be three SLPeBoard members, and all decisions must be made by majority vote.
i. Members shall have the right to offer resolutions signed by five other members to the SLPeBoard.
j. Members shall have the right to argue before the SLPeBoard regarding infractions and discipline.

Section II: Elections
a. Elections shall be held once a month following ratification of this constitution.
b. Elections shall last 48 hours, with a 24 hour nomination period, and a 24 hour voting period.
c. If only one person stands for an office, they shall ascend to it upon the end of the nomination process.
d. Members may only run for one office and officers may not hold more than one office.

Section III: Whip
a. Upon the Chief Whip’s recommendation, the SLPeBoard may authorize a one line whip, a nonbinding recommendation, a two line whip, a nonbinding strong suggestion, or a three line whip, a binding order.
b. Members who break a three line whip are subjected to discipline at the discretion of the SLPeBoard.

Section IV: Party Caucus:
a. The Party Caucus will be composed of all members of the Parliamentary Party.
b. Sessions of the Party Caucus will be chaired by the Parliamentary Leader, their deputy, or designated official.
c. The Party Caucus shall be the organ used by the membership to approve or reject actions carried out by the SLPeBoard.

Section V: Amending the Constitution:
a. The Constitution of the Social Liberal Party may be amended after a petition signed by 67% of active and voting members is tabled and voted on by the SLPeBoard and passes by a ⅗ vote.
b. Upon SLPeBoard action, a 24 hour vote will be held in which 75% of active and voting members must vote in the affirmative.

I think that this looks great. Since we're regrouping, we might as well take a swing at adopting a constitution.

Our first constitution was incomplete. I support this new proposal.

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Normandy and Picardy wrote:I think we can agree certain social issues would be viewed pretty conservatively across the board and religious influence would still be felt. An economically modernising platform is a good idea, promoting both business and the employer and ensuring everyone within reason can do well, and it is through using the idea of rebuilding Elizia economically that, if we wanted to, we could begin to slowly bring change in society. This isn't about giving up our ideology, but rather adapting it to the situation. Thus, we can probably bring in economic reform quickly, whereas it probably wouldn't be realistic to instantly end workplace inequality; that would come with time, if at all. That's just my thoughts on the matter.

So long as we defend the Elizian people's political rights, no matter their ideology, and fight the dastardly communists trying to spread their fraying web into our country, I'll support most of the bills pushed by our members. Freedom, above all else, must be protected and ingrained into the populace.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Lykens
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lykens » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 pm

There seems to be no opposition to the draft, would anyone be opposed to instating it by acclamation, or do we need to tedious voting process?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives