NATION

PASSWORD

[NSGS] Social Liberal Party

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

St James
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby St James » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:59 am

Nariterrr wrote:TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO VOTE, I have decided to set up a score system to reward players who actively participate in the party. It is currently being led by Sardeed, because he voted first. You can get (1) point for debating and voting in the chamber on bills and (2) points for voting on very special bills when you are told. Points can also be rewarded for extraordinary behavior in the party.

Is there any incentive to earning points?
EGGS

Nariterrr
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:01 am

St James wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO VOTE, I have decided to set up a score system to reward players who actively participate in the party. It is currently being led by Sardeed, because he voted first. You can get (1) point for debating and voting in the chamber on bills and (2) points for voting on very special bills when you are told. Points can also be rewarded for extraordinary behavior in the party.

Is there any incentive to earning points?

Haven't figured it out yet, I guess it's just there to encourage people to vote. Any ideas?
Honestly who knows what about anything anymore.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:12 am

Nariterrr wrote:THANK YOU so much to all the people who went out and voted. Because of you, we are now the second largest party in the whole of Elizia! We went from a party that no one cared for to a party of great power.

What power is that?
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 am

The Sarian wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:THANK YOU so much to all the people who went out and voted. Because of you, we are now the second largest party in the whole of Elizia! We went from a party that no one cared for to a party of great power.

What power is that?

Members of the SLP voted more than both government parties combined by a large margin. Really, if a slightly controversial bill was opposed by the full power of the SLP, it probably wouldn't pass.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:20 am

Nariterrr wrote:
The Sarian wrote:
What power is that?

Members of the SLP voted more than both government parties combined by a large margin. Really, if a slightly controversial bill was opposed by the full power of the SLP, it probably wouldn't pass.

Can I just drop in here and say that this "large margin" you refer to is a singular vote...
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic Database | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 am

Tumbra wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:Members of the SLP voted more than both government parties combined by a large margin. Really, if a slightly controversial bill was opposed by the full power of the SLP, it probably wouldn't pass.

Can I just drop in here and say that this "large margin" you refer to is a singular vote...

A single vote, which gave us a three point boost, I'd say that's pretty large, especially noting our situation.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:27 am

Nariterrr wrote:
The Sarian wrote:
What power is that?

Do you think the government might maybe whip their members if there was a slightly controversial bill?

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:28 am

The Sarian wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:Members of the SLP voted more than both government parties combined by a large margin. Really, if a slightly controversial bill was opposed by the full power of the SLP, it probably wouldn't pass.

Do you think the government might maybe whip their members if there was a slightly controversial bill?

Seeing that the whip didn't do his job and resigned, and seeing that the government has been sinking in the polls, no.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:31 am

Nariterrr wrote:
The Sarian wrote:Do you think the government might maybe whip their members if there was a slightly controversial bill?

Seeing that the whip didn't do his job and resigned, and seeing that the government has been sinking in the polls, no.

Exactly my point, the whip didn't do his job (though it was unnecessary, imho), if there was a controversial bill a whip would be sent out meaning more voters from the government parties.

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 am

The Sarian wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:Seeing that the whip didn't do his job and resigned, and seeing that the government has been sinking in the polls, no.

Exactly my point, the whip didn't do his job (though it was unnecessary, imho), if there was a controversial bill a whip would be sent out meaning more voters from the government parties.

In my book, every bill is a controversial bill, every vote matters. Regardless of the likelihood of it passing. I don't treat bills differently because some of them have a higher chance of passing. All bills that are worth something are controversial and deserve every single vote I can muster. This is why the SLP is surpassing the government and this is why as of yet two people have defected from the government to join the SLP.
Last edited by Nariterrr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Argentarino
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:45 am

Mind if I join? I'm gonna jump ship from the LDP.
Senator Sushila Fonseca
Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:50 am

Argentarino wrote:Mind if I join? I'm gonna jump ship from the LDP.

Sure, the more the merry. Be prepared to be an active voting member. We need as many active members and as many votes as humanly possible.

Argentarino
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am

Nariterrr wrote:
Argentarino wrote:Mind if I join? I'm gonna jump ship from the LDP.

Sure, the more the merry. Be prepared to be an active voting member. We need as many active members and as many votes as humanly possible.

Sounds good! Also, would anyone mind if I share a bill for constructive criticism/potential sponsors? Lord knows the LDP certainly didn't help.
Senator Sushila Fonseca

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 am

Argentarino wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:Sure, the more the merry. Be prepared to be an active voting member. We need as many active members and as many votes as humanly possible.

Sounds good! Also, would anyone mind if I share a bill for constructive criticism/potential sponsors? Lord knows the LDP certainly didn't help.

Sure. :)
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Argentarino
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:18 am

The Establishment of the Commission on Truth, Dignity, and Reconciliation Act
Authors: Siyad Kasturi (SLP) and Tjilik Beluluk (PtH)
Sponsors: Ahmed Corbor (SLP), Thu Tran (SLP), Michael Nugati (SLP), Li Zhang (SLP),

An act to establish a commission to establish truth regarding crimes of the old regime, restore dignity to the victims, and promote reconciliation in Elizia.

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 – Establishment:
a. The Commission on Truth, Dignity, and Reconciliation, henceforth to be referred to as "The Commission" or the "CTDR" in this bill, shall be established after the passage of this bill.
b. There will be a Director of the Commission, who shall be appointed by the President of Elizia and approved by the Senate by a majority vote;
i. The Director shall be granted the authority to appoint fifteen additional commissioners;
ii. Commissioners and staffers with the commission cannot have had any affiliation with the Armed Forces, police forces, or any security services that were either part of the Elizian government or were contracted by them before the implementation of the transitional government;

§2 – Authority and Scope:
a. Any citizen of Elizia may bring a case to the attention of the Commission;
b. The Commission may subpoena any persons of interest in connection with a case;
i. All witnesses are allowed legal representation. If they cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided by the state;
ii. The Commission has the authority to ask for and acquire any and all documentation and evidence in relation to specific cases from the complainant(s), the respondent(s), and all government ministries, agencies, and other entities. These requests must be respected and carried out by any party that is asked to turn over evidence to the Commission;
c. The Commission does not have the authority to deliver and/or carry out sentences;
d. Should a citizen voluntarily confess their crimes before the Commission, should those crimes exclude war crimes or crimes against humanity, and should that citizen hold no rank higher in the ENC regime than that of Colonel, then the Commission may choose to grant amnesty to that citizen.

§3 - Reports
a. At the end of every calendar year that the Commission is in session, it will release a report listing its findings, verdicts, and decisions, including a summary of its findings. The report will be presented to the President, Senate, and public of Elizia, until such a time that it is determined by the Senate that the Commission is no longer deemed necessary to be in session;

Im aware of one argument against this, that it would be in violation of the treaty signed between the ENC and the rebels, but we don't even have an IC copy of the treaty, so I don't know which provisions I would be violating or not (example: does the treaty forbid establishment of truth investigations, or is it effectively a gag order, etc.). Other than that, thoughts?
Last edited by Argentarino on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Senator Sushila Fonseca

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:19 am

Argentarino wrote:
Sponsors:

An act to establish a commission to establish truth regarding crimes of the old regime, restore dignity to the victims, and promote reconciliation in Elizia.

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 – Establishment:
a. The Commission on Truth, Dignity, and Reconciliation, henceforth to be referred to as "The Commission" or the "CTDR" in this bill, shall be established after the passage of this bill.
b. There will be a Director of the Commission, who shall be appointed by the President of Elizia and approved by the Senate by a majority vote;
i. The Director shall be granted the authority to appoint fifteen additional commissioners;
ii. Commissioners and staffers with the commission cannot have had any affiliation with the Armed Forces, police forces, or any security services that were either part of the Elizian government or were contracted by them before the implementation of the transitional government;

b. The Commission may subpoena any persons of interest in connection with a case;
i. All witnesses are allowed legal representation. If they cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided by the state;
ii. The Commission has the authority to ask for and acquire any and all documentation and evidence in relation to specific cases from the complainant(s), the respondent(s), and all government ministries, agencies, and other entities. These requests must be respected and carried out by any party that is asked to turn over evidence to the Commission;
c. The Commission does not have the authority to deliver and/or carry out sentences, but if it finds that a crime is severe enough, it may send that case up to a court of law, with all testimony and evidence collected for that case to be made permissible in said court;
d. Should a citizen voluntarily confess their crimes before the Commission, should those crimes exclude war crimes or crimes against humanity, and should that citizen hold no rank higher in the ENC regime than that of Colonel, then the Commission may choose to grant amnesty to that citizen

§3 - Reports
a. At the end of every calendar year that the Commission is in session, it will release a report listing its findings, verdicts, and decisions, including a summary of its findings. The report will be presented to the President, Senate, and public of Elizia, until such a time that it is determined by the Senate that the Commission is no longer deemed necessary to be in session;

Im aware of one argument against this, that it would be in violation of the treaty signed between the ENC and the rebels, but we don't even have an IC copy of the treaty, so I don't know which provisions I would be violating or not (example: does the treaty forbid establishment of truth investigations, or is it effectively a gag order, etc.). Other than that, thoughts?

I sponsor. Hey, could I get your name on the Executive Branch of ELizia Act?
Last edited by Nariterrr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:23 am

I like this bill, I see nothing wrong with it. BTW, make sure to update your sig. It still says LD.
Last edited by Nariterrr on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Argentarino
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:27 am

Nariterrr wrote:I like this bill, I see nothing wrong with it. BTW, make sure to update your sig. It still says LD.

Yeah, I'm on my phone at work, I'll take care of that when I get home tonight.

EDIT: I'll take a look at your bill and I'll let you know :)
Last edited by Argentarino on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senator Sushila Fonseca

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:31 am

Argentarino wrote:
Nariterrr wrote:I like this bill, I see nothing wrong with it. BTW, make sure to update your sig. It still says LD.

Yeah, I'm on my phone at work, I'll take care of that when I get home tonight.

EDIT: I'll take a look at your bill and I'll let you know :)

Ok, it's right here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b2u ... sp=sharing

Questions, comments, conserns? All appreciated.

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:14 am

The government is sinking in the polls? :blink:

How do we know this?

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 am

New Werpland wrote:The government is sinking in the polls? :blink:

How do we know this?

Tumbra wrote:
Opinion Research Survey Number Three

This poll was conducted by measuring the number of Senators who voted in the last round of voting. Before any of you pedantics grab at my throat, this is the best way of doing things. There would be no way to measure opinion otherwise.

The question polled was this.

"If an election for the government of Elizia were to be held tomorrow, who would you vote for?"

The results were as such.

Elizia First/Path to Harmony (Coalition) - 39.4%, +8.4% (13/33)
Social Liberal Party - 27.3% +16.9% (9/33)
Liberal Democrats/Chinese Interests Party (Coalition) - 24.2%, -13.7% (8/33)
Labour/National Worker's Party (Coalition) - 9.1%, -11.6% (3/33)
National Islamic Party - 0.0%, No Change (0/33)
Elizian National Congress - 0.0%, No Change (0/33)
Others and Independents - 0.0% No Change (0/33)

In perhaps the most shocking poll to come out of the population of Elizia, the National Coalition is now on course to win the elections and form the next government. The NC had been gaining ground on the incumbent Coalition for some time, however, and it seems that Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang is still riding high in the polls, with a similar amount of people naming him as the preferred President in the upcoming general election.

The fact of this is simple. He is part of the plurality that is Muslim, and he appeals to a wide range of demographics - as compared to the minority, Western-educated Kevin Katdare. While Katdare won the first presidential election, the situation the House was in was in one similar to the 2012 Egyptian elections - a sympathiser of the old regime (Jeya) versus the "new man" (Katdare). Furthermore, as the author of the recently-passed Central Bank Act (which passed with bipartisan support), the recent debate proved that Iskba, as he is popularly known, will be able to steer the currently battered Elizian economy back to safer waters - a safe pair of hands, similar to Philip Hammond, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer.

If the National Coalition will be able to ride this wave all the way back to Kentang, the right will have won a famous victory - just two weeks ago, they were hovering around fifteen percent in the polls. Now, with the resignation of Siva Jeyaratnam and the appointment of Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang, they have risen nearly twenty-five points in the polls to be the clear winner.

The second surprise is that of the Social Liberal Party. Previously branded as a bunch of louts and idiots, the SLP's tactics seem to have paid off, as twenty seven percent of the population seem to have been swayed by their antics. While their image was previously ruined by one Senator Alan Chan and his infamous arrest in Parliament on the orders of the Home Secretary and the President, their image has softened somewhat since he was removed as Party Chairman by an internal vote. Will the SLP become a major force in Elizian politics, or is this just a temporary bump in the polls - and the SLP are still a fringe party?

The incumbent Liberal Democratic/Chinese Interests Party coalition, which shall henceforth be referred to by the author as the Alliance for Elizia, or Alliance for short, fell thirteen points in their continued slide from the first week. The dissolution of the Federalist Party set tongues wagging, but the President's statement that he will not be running to become the first official President of the Federation cast some uncertainty over the entire process of the Coalition's future. In an interview with an unnamed reporter, the President said this.

"If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve."

There has been a certain amount of uncertainty over who the nominee will be, perhaps leading to a further slump in the polls as the Liberal Democrats and their junior partner, the Chinese Interests Party have not had a very strong economic policy, giving that game up to the National Coalition and Raharjo Iskandar-Bambang. Will the Alliance be able to recoup their losses, or will they stay in the doldrums? The former establishment party, reduced to a distant third in the polls?

The last shocker of this poll is the rapid drop of the Left, represented by Labour and the National Workers' Party. Previously being touted as the kingmaker of the elections, current polling figures show them at pre-bump levels - perhaps this was just a bump after all. The party has remained relatively quiet, and not much have seen much activity of late, which would explain the sudden drop in support.

The National Islamic Party and the Elizian National Congress remained off the radar, and might do for the forseeable future - do they have a place in the new House of Parliament?

Turnout was up on last week.

Arachaea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Arachaea » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Argentarino wrote:
Sponsors: Ahmed Corbor (SLP)

§1 – Establishment:

c. The Commission does not have the authority to deliver and/or carry out sentences, but if it finds that a crime is severe enough, it may send that case up to a court of law, with all testimony and evidence collected for that case to be made permissible in said court;
d. Should a citizen voluntarily confess their crimes before the Commission, should those crimes exclude war crimes or crimes against humanity, and should that citizen hold no rank higher in the ENC regime than that of Colonel, then the Commission may choose to grant amnesty to that citizen

§3 - Reports

Thu Tran, SLP Chairman, sponsors the bill.
The Principality of Arachaea

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 am

Argentarino wrote:
Sponsors: Ahmed Corbor (SLP), Thu Tran (SLP)

§1 – Establishment:

§3 - Reports

I sponsor this act, Michel Nugati.
Qui est-ce ?

Normandy and Picardy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Normandy and Picardy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 am

Hello. I've decided to keep an eye on you, and may consider joining in the future. For the record, I didn't perform the whip due to unforseen familial circumstances which I shan't discuss, which also prevented me from voting. Still, I've seen that the LDP has been faltering for a while regardless, so I may be seeing more of you in the near future.
Northern French Names but with a general Western Med vibe, welcome to N&P

Nariterrr
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:38 am

Normandy and Picardy wrote:Hello. I've decided to keep an eye on you, and may consider joining in the future. For the record, I didn't perform the whip due to unforseen familial circumstances which I shan't discuss, which also prevented me from voting. Still, I've seen that the LDP has been faltering for a while regardless, so I may be seeing more of you in the near future.

Well, I thank you for keeping an open mind and I understand your circumstances.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives