NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Coffee Shop: Want Any Cream or Sugar with That?

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Red Party
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Red Party » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Hindia Belanda wrote:
Alistan wrote:
"This just a Republican way to make the best out of a Republic of Elizia, this is just an improvement on the wording of what the NIP proposed.

It won't work with the word "haram", because the fringe fundamentalists would deem haram to minorities and that would upset them and the minorities will be upset themselves, its like calling themselves "goyim" or "infidel", it would imply a negative connotation.

Keep in mind that the population is 51% Muslim and 49% minorities

"You might have confused the word 'haram' with 'kafir' which is equal in meaning to what you described as infidel. Haram is a label commonly used on products that do not meet the Islamic dietary law requirements — it is akin to the word Kosher and the concept of Kashrut in Judaism and thus, the term does not imply any negative connotation."

Thank you for explaining that. Would you like to sponsor the bill?
Last edited by Red Party on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
does smoking kill? idk

Alistan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Hindia Belanda wrote:
Alistan wrote:
"This just a Republican way to make the best out of a Republic of Elizia, this is just an improvement on the wording of what the NIP proposed.

It won't work with the word "haram", because the fringe fundamentalists would deem haram to minorities and that would upset them and the minorities will be upset themselves, its like calling themselves "goyim" or "infidel", it would imply a negative connotation.

Keep in mind that the population is 51% Muslim and 49% minorities

"You might have confused the word 'haram' with 'kafir' which is equal in meaning to what you described as infidel. Haram is a label commonly used on products that do not meet the Islamic dietary law requirements — it is akin to the word Kosher and the concept of Kashrut in Judaism and thus, the term does not imply any negative connotation."

"Of course, but the word "haram" can be turned into a negative connotation as food for "non-Muslim", its like designating non-Muslims as aliens or non-human, and in Elizia, I and Elizian citizens stand for religious plurality and democracy, and also, the simple fact is, the country 51% non-Muslim to 49% Muslim."
Path to Harmony—For a more peaceful tomorrow

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

Your futurologist and transhumanist

Red Party
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Party » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Alistan wrote:
Hindia Belanda wrote:"You might have confused the word 'haram' with 'kafir' which is equal in meaning to what you described as infidel. Haram is a label commonly used on products that do not meet the Islamic dietary law requirements — it is akin to the word Kosher and the concept of Kashrut in Judaism and thus, the term does not imply any negative connotation."

"Of course, but the word "haram" can be turned into a negative connotation as food for "non-Muslim", its like designating non-Muslims as aliens or non-human, and in Elizia, I and Elizian citizens stand for religious plurality and democracy, and also, the simple fact is, the country 51% non-Muslim to 49% Muslim."

Nowhere does it ever designate anyone as weird or an alien. We're simply labeling products. We're not putting any penalties, taxes, restrictions or anything of that kind on the listed products. Please educate yourself.
does smoking kill? idk

Hindia Belanda
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hindia Belanda » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Alistan wrote:
Hindia Belanda wrote:"You might have confused the word 'haram' with 'kafir' which is equal in meaning to what you described as infidel. Haram is a label commonly used on products that do not meet the Islamic dietary law requirements — it is akin to the word Kosher and the concept of Kashrut in Judaism and thus, the term does not imply any negative connotation."

"I too, like you, stand for religious plurality and the free exercise of religion by Elizians. While I do not support the bill whatsoever, I do not share your preconceived notion that the word can be turned into a negative connotation. It is a simple, inoffensive term used by Muslims to describe products that are forbidden to be consumed."
Nederlands-Indië - Hindia Belanda
IIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII

Ioannis Papakonstantinou, Senator (independent)

Hindia Belanda
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hindia Belanda » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:57 pm

Red Party wrote:

Thank you for explaining that. Would you like to sponsor the bill?

I cannot get behind this bill. I am, however, willing to support a bill which mandates products that meet the Islamic dietary laws sold in our country to be labelled with the word "Halal".
IIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII

Red Party
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Party » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:22 am

Hindia Belanda wrote:
Red Party wrote:Thank you for explaining that. Would you like to sponsor the bill?

I cannot get behind this bill. I am, however, willing to support a bill which mandates products that meet the Islamic dietary laws sold in our country to be labelled with the word "Halal".

I am willing to change that in the coming days.
does smoking kill? idk

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:14 am

*snip*
Last edited by New Werpland on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:31 am

New Werpland wrote:
Political Trilingualism Act 2016
Author: Senator Hiba binti Kamaaluddeen (SU)
Sponsors:

An act to promote inclusiveness and mutual understanding among the many entities which collectively make up the whole of Elizia's politics.

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 – Overview:
The Political Trilingualism Act requires: All legal registered political parties in Elizia must provide a rendition of their party's name in Chinese, English and Malay on their party logo, if the party's name is listed at all on their logo. If it isn't nothing is required of them by law.

§2 – Penalty For a Lack of Compliance:
The penalty for refusing to change or create a logo in the legal manner by party leadership will result in the annual fine equal to the equivalent of $1,000 USD which shall be taken directly from party funds.

I reduced the fine. Does anyone want to sponsor now?

Put my name on it, Michel Nugati (LD), but I'm not 100% sure I would support this act. I do think it is worth debating, so I'm going to help you out in putting it on the floor.
Qui est-ce ?

Davincia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Generosity

Postby Davincia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:35 am

New Werpland wrote:
Sponsors:

An act to promote inclusiveness and mutual understanding among the many entities which collectively make up the whole of Elizia's politics.

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 – Overview:
The Political Trilingualism Act requires: All legal registered political parties in Elizia must provide a rendition of their party's name in Chinese, English and Malay on their party logo, if the party's name is listed at all on their logo. If it isn't nothing is required of them by law.

The penalty for refusing to change or create a logo in the legal manner by party leadership will result in the annual fine equal to the equivalent of $1,000 USD which shall be taken directly from party funds.

Seems like a waste of time and resources, as well as proving to be heavily coercive and against the best interests of a democracy.
Red Party wrote:
Alistan wrote:
National Halal Food Certification and Labeling Board Act
Author: Yunus Moghadam, Path to Harmony
Sponsors:

An Act of the Federal Parliament to make provision for the creation of the National Halal Food Certification and Labeling Board

§1 – Creation of the Board in the Agriculture and Food ministry:

The job for the board is to label the edibles that are halal.

§2 – Duties:
To label edibles that are halal to the Muslim faith including
  1. Raw materials
  2. Processing Aid Ingredients
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

The draft/sketch of the bill should appease everyone who are criticizes the Islamist proposal to ban haram foods.

Have you read my bill? Nowhere does it ban ANYTHING.

I'll sponsor it. I may not be so kind to it in the debate hall, but I do want to see this bill end up there.
For: Capitalism, Conservatism, Religion (any), Israel, Capital Punishment, Democracy
Neutral: LBGT Rights, Abortion, Secularism, Libertarianism, Monarchism
Against: Institutionalized Atheism, Communism, Palestine, Fascism, Recreational Drugs

RIP Haruo Nakajima (1929-2017), Yoshio Tsuchiya (1927-2017)

New Werpland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 am

Skyviolia wrote:
New Werpland wrote:
Sponsors:

§1 – Overview:

Put my name on it, Michel Nugati (LD), but I'm not 100% sure I would support this act. I do think it is worth debating, so I'm going to help you out in putting it on the floor.

Thank you senator!

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am

Red Party wrote:
Alistan wrote:
Sponsors:

An Act of the Federal Parliament to make provision for the creation of the National Halal Food Certification and Labeling Board

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

The draft/sketch of the bill should appease everyone who are criticizes the Islamist proposal to ban haram foods.

Have you read my bill? Nowhere does it ban ANYTHING.

I'll sponsor it. I may not be so kind to it in the debate hall, but I do want to see this bill end up there.[/quote]

OOC: Are you sponsoring mine or the Red Party's bill?

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:40 am

Sponsors: Linanto Auguo, Liberal Democrats

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

One Senator sponsored my bill.[region-tag=][/region-tag]
Last edited by Alistan on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Werpland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Alistan wrote:
Sponsors: Linanto Auguo, Liberal Democrats

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

One Senator sponsored my bill.[region-tag=][/region-tag]

I sponsor.

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Sponsors: Linanto Auguo (Lib-Dem), Hiba binti Kamaaluddeen (SU)

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

Another senator

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Alistan wrote:

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

Another senator

Add me on as well. (Yohani Rudao)
Last edited by Skappola on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Financial Sovereignty Act
Author: Yohani Rapongan(Path to Harmony)
Sponsors: Yunus Moghadam (PtH), Greanihte (NWP), Emilia Larsen (NWP)

An act to ensure the financial sovereignty of Elizia.

BBE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 – Definitions:
IMF - the International Monetary Fund.

§2 – The IMF
In protest of the unreasonable interest rates levied upon Elizia and the unequal representation in international financial votes, Elizia hereby withdraws from the IMF and all associated agencies.
  1. All debt owed to the IMF and foreign nations through the IMF by Elizia is hereby declared null and void.
  2. Any attempts to forcefully collect upon the aforementioned debt will be considered encroachment upon the Elizia's financial sovereignty, and dealt with at the behest of Elizia's parliament.
§3 – Non-IMF Debts
  1. Government debt unrelated to the IMF shall still be repaid on time and in full.
§4 – Multilateral Development Banks
In replacement of the imperialistic IMF, Elizia hereby requests membership in the following organizations.
  1. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Development Association, the International Fund for Agricultural Development, the Islamic Development Bank, and the Asian Development Bank

Any sponsors or suggestions?
Last edited by Skappola on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

The Grene Knyght
Minister

Founded: May 07, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Grene Knyght » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:17 pm

New Werpland wrote:
Sponsors:

§1 – Overview:

Skappola wrote:
Alistan wrote:

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

Another senator

Add me on as well. (Yohani Rudao)

Skappola wrote:
Financial Sovereignty Act
Author: Yohani Rapongan(Path to Harmony)
Sponsors: Yunus Moghadam (PtH)

An act to ensure the financial sovereignty of Elizia.

BBE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Head of the State, by and with the counsel of the Government, and the authority of the Federal Parliament by virtue of the powers placed upon it by the Law, as follows:

§1 – Definitions:
IMF - the International Monetary Fund.

§2 – The IMF
In protest of the unreasonable interest rates levied upon Elizia and the unequal representation in international financial votes, Elizia hereby withdraws from the IMF and all associated agencies.
  1. All debt owed to the IMF and foreign nations through the IMF by Elizia is hereby declared null and void.
  2. Any attempts to forcefully collect upon the aforementioned debt will be considered encroachment upon the Elizia's financial sovereignty, and dealt with at the behest of Elizia's parliament.
§3 – Non-IMF Debts
  1. Government debt unrelated to the IMF shall still be repaid on time and in full.
§4 – Multilateral Development Banks
In replacement of the imperialistic IMF, Elizia hereby requests membership in the following organizations.
  1. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the International Development Association, the International Fund for Agricultural Development, the Islamic Development Bank, and the Asian Development Bank

Any sponsors or suggestions?

Senator Greanihte of the NWP sponsors these three bills.
[_★_]
(◕‿◕)
Socialist Women wrote:Part of the reason you're an anarchist is because you ate too much expired food
Claorica wrote:Oh look, an antifa ancom being smartaleck
Old Tyrannia wrote:Bold words from the self-declared Leninist
Currently
Reading
2015: x=-8.75,y=-6.56
2016: x=-8.88,y=-9.54
2017: x=-9.63,y=-9.90
2018: x=-9.88,y=-9.23
2019: x=-10.0,y=-9.90
2020: x=-10.0,y=-10.0
2021: x=-10.0,y=-10.0

PRO: Socialism, Communism, Internationalism, Revolution, Leninism.
NEUTRAL: Anarchism, Marxism-Leninism.
ANTI: Capitalism, Liberalism, Nationalism, Fascists, Hyper-Sectarian Leftists.
Portal Nationalist | Proletarian Moralist

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Sponsors: Linanto Auguo (Lib-Dem), Hiba binti Kamaaluddeen (SU), Yuhani Rudaon (Path to Harmony), Greanhite (NWP)

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

Three more Senators sponsored my bill.

Hindia Belanda
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hindia Belanda » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Alistan wrote:
Sponsors: Linanto Auguo (Lib-Dem), Hiba binti Kamaaluddeen (SU), Yuhani Rudaon (Path to Harmony), Greanhite (NWP)

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

I'll sponsor this bill (Adonis Hadiningrat, LD)
IIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIII

Skyviolia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyviolia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Just want to give everyone a heads up on the proposal for the basic principles of Elizia that I will be submitting tomorrow -

SECTION I - The Sovereignty of Elizia

1. Elizia shall be a free and sovereign nation. It shall be answerable to its own laws, and the laws by which Elizia chooses to assert itself with. Elizia shall be responsible for asserting its boundaries, selecting its laws, and formulating its foreign policy. No authority may deny the sovereignty of Elizia.

SECTION II - Principles of Elizian Democracy

1. Elizia shall be governed under a system of a republican democracy, whereby a government shall serve the people and only the people.
2. Elizia shall govern itself under a system of transparency. All officials shall be answerable to the people, and shall be subject to their confidence and public trust.
3. The President of Elizia shall be the official head of state, the Prime Minister shall be head of government. The Parliament shall be the sole legislative body and the Supreme Court shall be the highest court in the land.

SECTION III - Capital, Flag and other symbols

1. Kentang shall be the official seat of the government, and shall host the major government institutions of the nation.
2. The flag of the Republic shall consist of a blue stripe representing heaven, a red stripe to represent the Malay peoples and a yellow stripe to represent the Oriental peoples of Elizia.
3. Other symbols of the Republic shall be determined by the Parliament.
Qui est-ce ?

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 pm

[quote="Hindia Belanda";p="29254624"][quote="Alistan";p="29254274"]
Sponsors: Linanto Auguo (Lib-Dem), Hiba binti Kamaaluddeen (SU), Yuhani Rudaon (Path to Harmony), Greanhite (NWP), Adonis Hadiningrat (Lib-Dem)

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

I believe five senators endorsed my bill, so I believe that this bill should go to debate.

Red Party
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Party » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Alistan wrote:

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

Sponsor. Thomas Chouman (NIP). Can I be co-Author as it is just a elaboration of my bill? Thanks in advance! :)
does smoking kill? idk

United Provinces of Atlantica
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby United Provinces of Atlantica » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:28 pm

Senator Beluluk enters, glass in hand.

tag
Citizen of Lazarus
The Most Serene Confederation of Vasturia: FactbookConstitutionReligionOther
Warden in The Grey Wardens - Join Today!

Alistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Alistan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:38 pm

Author: Yunus Moghadam, Path to Harmony and Thomas Chamoun, National Islamic Party

§2 – Duties:
  1. Raw materials
  3. Processing
  4. Sanitation chemicals
  5. Packaging

Any last minute changes in the bill, before this enters into debate in 12 hours?
Last edited by Alistan on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:44 pm

I'll sponsor the Political Trilingualism bill. I'd like to see it debated.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives